Your favourite Asian Horror Flick!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dean7879
Whats your fav asian horror flick?

dean7879
info from upcominghorrormovies.com

just in case u aint familar with these films below...they are definelty worth seeing

kairo - Ghosts begin seeping into the real world through computers.

suicide club - A detective is trying to find the reasoning for all the mass suicides all over Japan

Uzumaki - A small town gets cursed by something known as uzumaki, which is translated to "vortex".

Cinemaddiction
"Battle Royale" isn't really horror per se, but it got my vote. "Suicide Club" has been out for a while now, and is far from a Horror. It's more of an odd parody of the lengths to which kids would go for their idols.

"Battlefield Baseball", of course, is another one for you guys to check out.

tabby999
yeah Battle Royale gets my tick too. see they made a sequal, but apparently it really shit

papabeard
I vote for JU-ON or Ringu

However, you should also check out Evil Dead Trap.

MildPossession
I have seen all in the list, and my favourite is The Eye, big fan of Angelica Lee.

A lot of those in the list are favourites of mine, especially Battle Royale.

dean7879
battle royale is great...i didnt like the sequel that much though

dean7879

eggmayo
A really hard choice between 'Ichi' and 'Battle Royale' for me.

MildPossession
I quite enjoyed the sequel, got some good scenes in.

tabby999
ichi dosn't really have much in it when you watch it again. i thought it was awsome the first time, then the second i noticed it was pretty piss poor

BackFire
Audition, hands down.

tabby999
havn't seen it, but living in a small town its really not that surprising

papabeard
I agree ichi was rubbish no substance just cartoon violence, it is based on cartoon but they could have done so much more, alot of japanese cinema values style over substance.

Ju-On
Ringu
Dark water
Audition

are probably the best on the list, and i wouldnt really call Battel Royale a horror more sci-fi

tpaquin
I'm gonna go with Junk. It was fun.

dean7879
junk was ok....versus was better

papabeard
When you see the trailer for Uzumaki, you think it looks ace, but the actual film is a bit disappointing, Its based on a comic strip and this affects the films capacity to scare , the stroy is abit ridiculous, a town being hypnotised and being under the power of spirals,I wanted this film to be good, but it's too weird to be scary, some amazing visuals though ,which are worth seeing, but ultimately boring.

Check out Dark Water and also a film called Double Vision which is not bad.

dean7879
uzumaki is weird...i was laughin through most of the movie

papabeard
It would be good to watch it while on LSD

Cinemaddiction
What the f**k?

Try action/drama. There's no elements of Sci Fi in the movie. Ichi certainly doesn't belong.

papabeard
I think the futuristic nature of the story, with the goverment ceating these laws and rules for governing the people, This "Nightmare Vision of the Future", having the children fight and kill each other etc, was very much a Science Fiction concept, very Orwellian in essence, with overtones of 1984, maybe not Sci-Fi in the sense of Aliens and Spaceships , but there is definetly a science fiction element to this movie.

pr1983
audition or batlle royale... in horror stakes audition...

Cinemaddiction
This was a follow-up to the closed thread:

I'd like to comment on those, then add my suggestions.

Audition - Lots of build up, poor pay off. "Disturbing scenes" are too few and far between.

Battle Royale - Almost flawless. A personal fav, save the CGI blood.

Ichi the Killer - Incredibly overrated, IMO, like most Miike flicks. Nowhere near as gory as everyone claims it to be, and Ichi is often confused for the detective.

Suicide Club - Funny pop culture parody, otherwise decent flick.

Versus - Fantastic gore, cool Yakuza/Zombie/Kung-Fu storyline.

The Eye - More drama than anything. Like a bad "Sixth Sense" clone.

Phone - Never saw it..

Gozu - Miike's attempt at the occult. Very messy, pretentious, and with too much effort focusing on being weird, he loses sight of any coherent storytelling.

Hmmmmmmm...

Ju-Rei - Crappy "Ju-On" ripoff.

Ju-On - Incoherent ghost story, basis for "The Grudge", both of which are plagued with continuity issues and errors, making it hard to follow, much less enjoy.

St. John's Wart - Crap.

Junk - Pretty solid zombie/yakuza flick. Awesome ending.

Ringu - Hilarious, and totally unintimidating.

Living Hell - Decent movie, somewhat of an Asian "TCM".

Battlefield Baseball - One of the silliest, most original Asian horrors I have ever come across.

..I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that come to mind. As you can see, I'm not a big fan, lol.

MildPossession
Just interested why you see The Eye as a 6th Sense clone? apart from the character can see dead people aspect.

The Phone you will probably hate. I found it to be enjoyable, especially the child actress in the film, very disturbing.

Azrael01
yeah i liked the phone too but i like audition and battle royale the best I thought gozu was good but just because it was so wierd you wondered what would happen next. It isn't a movie you can enjoy multiple times.

Azrael01
well since I accidently posted twice I will say has anyone seen the preqeul to ichi the killer. evil face

moises
the grudge or the ring those movies were all rigth......

EOWYN3
I liked "A Tale of Two Sisters," one of the better horror movies I've watched here in Korea.

papabeard
has anyone seen Phone, is it any good or just another Ring clone?

MildPossession
I mentioned Phone above.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.