Grievous Voice Confirmed in new Homing Beacon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BAILY
and it is Mathew Wood.... he played Bib Fortuna and voiced Ody Mandrell in TPM...

The Homing Beacon Newsletter:

When General Grievous barks his orders, his minions scurry to carry out their tasks. His is a commanding presence, and his fearsome demeanor leaves no room for questions. His implacable metallic skeleton gives him the aspect of a droid, but hidden inside the armored carapace is an unwholesome, living being. To remind viewers of this inner Grievous, his words are occasionally punctuated with a hard, wet hacking cough -- suggesting that Grievous is literally rotten to the core.

Providing the voice of Grievous is Matthew Wood, whose history with Star Wars has been mostly behind-the-scenes. Though Wood is an actor, his contribution to the prequel trilogy has been primarily as Supervising Sound Editor. His access to the Episode III production process may have given him a head's up that casting was underway for the part, but the use of a pseudonym ensured that insider status didn't factor into the selection process.

On set, Duncan Young read Grievous' lines for the benefit of the actors. His voice was never intended to make it into the final film, and it was edited out of the mix early on along with much of the production audio. Ben Burtt and others supplied temporary voices on the track, all heavily modulated to be appropriate for a cyborg general.

"We put out a casting package of those modulated voices, looking for voice actors," says Wood. "Chris Scarabosio processed each one, and we would play these for George for him to evaluate. We went through a lot of different people, and on the last package we sent out, I put my own voice on there, though I didn't put my name on it."

With the pseudonym "Alan Smithee," Wood's reading of Grievous was played for Lucas without introduction, and he selected it. "It was great, but then I thought, 'should I tell him that it's me?'" recounts Wood. "When George found out, he said 'Great, let's record him tomorrow.'"

In a three-hour recording session, Wood laid down all of Grievous lines. "He's definitely an evil character. He's the leader of the droid army, but not a droid. He feels things; he feels things extremely, I would say. It's a lot of yelling, and shouting out orders, so it had a lot of drill sergeant to it."

While studying acting at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, Wood came across a website that offered samples of various accents to help actors hear and mimic patterns of speech from around the world. "You could hear the same line of dialogue read in different accents," he says. "I liked the sound of the Eastern European and Romanian accents. Also, I had just come back from Prague, so I had that in mind for Grievous."

In the finished film, Grievous' voice will undergo some sort of processing. Currently, it is lowered in pitch and has a ring modulation to it. That may change as the audio mix is still being put together. Wood offers the caveat that everything may still change, having witnessed all the prequels being made. "But I did also record Grievous for the Episode III videogame. I did 125 lines of dialogue for that."

LandoSpeeder2
Thanks for the info Baily.

Ushgarak
Well, that settles that! Thanks muchly.

LandoSpeeder2
So is he like creating the voice or something?

for those who don't know who he is.

http://www.starwars.com/bio/matthewwood.html

BAILY
Good question... I figured it was his voice with computer enhancements.... he looks like a real geek too... lol.

LandoSpeeder2
That's what I was thinking.

Snakebyte
In the finished film, Grievous' voice will undergo some sort of processing. Currently, it is lowered in pitch and has a ring modulation to it.

dont you read the text? big grin

http://www.editorsguild.com/newsletter/JulAug04/JulAug04_images/WOOD_Matt.jpg

pretty geek laughing

LandoSpeeder2
I'm still reading it.

waynerobsonuk
ok as a music techy type here's a very quick explanation of the effects:

the ring modulation will add a metalllic edge to the voice and I assume that they are lower the pitch so you notice this effect even more than usual.

Wayne...

Sith Master X
Great info. Thanks.

Torik_Shai
Awesome. Now we just need to get a recording of him doing the voice. stick out tongue

Sith Master X
Can't wait to hear his voice. Hope it doesn't get leaked or anything, cause that's something I'd like to wait for the movie to hear.

Creechuur
Whats with the wet, hacking cough though? If he only has organic eyes and brain, why would he cough? Maybe its a psycho-somatic thing, like in life he was unhealthy and it carried over to his droid body. Like his brain still thinks he's got an unhealthy body or something?

Kind of how people missing a limb still sometimes feel sensations in it.

cal31
Wow, what a dissapointment. Here they got our hopes up with Gary Oldman, and instead they have..... Matthew Wood?

Boris
I wanna hear!! lol

Anakin2Vader
yeah i wonder how long till we hear him... probably not till the theater

thanks for the info

Creechuur
Give him a chance dude. Maybe the first movie Gary Oldman was in, someone was going, "they got our hopes up with Gary Busey and instaed they have...Gary Oldman? big grin

CinematicESP
I had a feeling it would end up being an unknown, since Maul's voice was a relatively unknown actor.

I think by the hacking cough thing they mean his voice kind of has a hacking-cough-like quality to it, not a literal cough. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Darth Subjekt
Well hell, look at Jeremy Irons, he looks geeky, but i think he had a dope "villian" voice. I know its cheesy but he was Scar's voice in The Lion King....i have a 4 year old.....just like god gave ugly an dfat chicks hot voices....gotta give'em SOMEthing..lol...im just kidding....

BAILY
"god gave ugly an dfat chicks hot voices.." LMFAO!!!! I dont know what fat and ugly chicks you hang around with, but generally they arent that good sounding... that is why God invented Duct Tape.......

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

cylob49
Another day and another million fanboys cry out in terror and are suddenly silenced over the wasted hours spent debating who would voice Grevious.

brendy
yeah i feel kind of let down..... sad

NoFate007
The Bib Fortuna voice I thought was cool, so if they use that but mix it up, I think we've got a good voice here.

Darth Surgent
Well, we're not really sure if he's just eyes and a brain. Early pictures showed him possessing internal organs, so it's conceivable that GL will portray him as still having lungs.

It's also possible that this "hacking cough" manifests itself in a sorta robotic glitchy manner, and doesn't make itself out to be the product of organic health problems.

NoFate007
I just hope it doesn't sound too much like how Vader's breathing interrupts his speech. Or how Wat Tambor had that malfunction while he was speaking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.