Turn it off or keep it on?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Creechuur
I've been having a disagreement with my gf about whether to turn the computer off at night or to just leave it on all the time. We keep the system in our garage, so in the summer its real hot and in the winter its real cold.

I say the only time you should leave the computer running overnight is if its really hot, so the fans can keep it cool. Otherwise you should power it down before you go to bed or whatever. It seems like an unnecassary wear on the moving parts to leave it on all the time.

My girl thinks it should always be on, that its better for the system if you leave it on. She's not the only person I've met who thinks this. I say theyre crazy.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'll even post a poll to see what you do! Giddyup!

BackFire
I turn my computer off every night when I go to bed, but not because it's "good for the computer". It's just too noisy to sleep with while it's on.

However, it's generally good to turn it off at night, let it cool down and stuff, no harm can come from turning it off every night. Leaving it on constantly can cause some harm if it's not put together really well. It can strain the PC if it's old, and it can over heat.

Anyways, I'd suggest turning it off at night. Can't hurt.

BadKitty
I leave mine on all the time...the screen saver comes on sometimes I put on stand by. I've heard that it is better to not turn it on and off all the time..but the reasons escape me.

Morning_Glory
you have to turn the computer off - if you leave it on it slows the computer down

Kael
I leave my computer on overnight! and do a restart about once a month. Very rare if i turn it off.

Silver Stardust
...why do you keep it in the garage? blink

Anyway, my computer I turn off every night, but mostly because it's too loud and the power light on it is too bright for me to sleep with. My mom's computer we turn off about once a week laughing out loud

Raz
I'm afraid thats incorrect. If its hot, then the best thing you can do to cool it down is switch it off!

Creechuur
Its in the garage so I can smoke and compute at the same time. We dont smoke in the house.

Also, there might be a misunderstanding about what I meant by "hot". I leave the system on if its hot in the garage (usually during the hottest summer nights), but if the system is so hot its gonna overheat, I turn it off.

Thanks for the input so far though everyone. It seems as though this is one disaagreement I will be winning, hehe.

Clovie
turning off when no one is about to use it.

dean7879
sometimes i turn my comp off....mostly i leave it in a low power state(standby)

Lord_Andres
I always turn of the computer, 2 reasons, it makes much noice I sleep only 5 feet away from where the pc is, 2nd, it makes alot of heat, and I just cant fall asleep when its warm, I need it to be cool

Dude111
I always shut down,I dont wanna waste power or take advantage of my computer and leave it on... (They need rest also)

StiltmanFTW
Always on.

Originally posted by Creechuur

My girl thinks it should always be on, that its better for the system if you leave it on. She's not the only person I've met who thinks this. I say theyre crazy.

I am crazy, then stick out tongue

It's been working for 15+ years, so it's reasonable to assume I'm not doing it any harm.

AsbestosFlaygon
Always turn it off.

Saves the PC's health and saves your electric bill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.