Dsl question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tex
In order to first activate a DSL account you have to run the software supplied, pick a username and password and your DSL line becomes active.

After that can I plug the dsl modem into any other computer or laptop and hop on the net?

I'm not talking about a router or anything, just plugging the ethernet cable right into the back of a new or other computer.

Morning_Glory
read the instructions that come with your DSL account.. there should be a booklet...

Raz
Yup, if the cable is connected to your modem, then you should be able to use any PC or laptop. Just configure it to get it's IP address via DHCP.

BTW, congrats on the DSL.....finally, ya cheapskate stick out tongue

Tex
It gets activated this coming Wednesday! smile

What's DHCP?

I cant just plug in the cable open Firefox and get ready to go?
I have windows 98 by the way.

I'm getting a new computer in a months time! smile

Raz
DHCP makes it "automatic" to get on the net. You just plug in the cable and it should configure itself to start working.

There are some basic instructions here: http://helpdesk.fsu.edu/internet/ethernet/win98dhcp.cfm

You should also get some "quick start" sort of guide with your modem, that should give you specific instructions for your modem. Its typically straightforward.

Tex
Ohhhhh, thanks! smile

yerssot
welcome to the modern age, tex... will we see you online more again?

Tex

yerssot
what's the difference with your pre-dsl time?

I hoped you would make your return here though

Tex
Maybe if you had a flashy avi and siggy I'd spend more time around here! shifty

yerssot
would you settle for a simple flash of me? stick out tongue

Tex
Ummmmmmmmm......

no. stick out tongue

yerssot
good pick, there is stil hope for you

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.