USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- New story recruitment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Owing to a high player turnover and the fact that my free time to attend to RPs has dramatically reduced over the last year, LOTR really has not gotten the attention it deserves. Which is a shame, because it is a game I have a great affection form with a truly epic and dramatic sweep that has gotten totally lost in its stretched out time.

In the most enormous battle I ever ever run in an RP, which lasted for... in fact, I can't remember a time in which it was not running, the second Part of the story is now coming to a close. The third part is an excellent time for a total re-launch of the game- something I know several RP regulars, including some of the original players who since left, have expressed an interest in.

This, then, is a general recruitment thread for the LOTR game. As LOTR mania has died down since the final film came out, this game is no longer riding on the LOTR popularity wave. That being the case, the people that should be interested in this game are as follows:

a. Die-hard LOTR enthusiasts who can handle my RP style

b. People with no objection to fantasy games who like the way I do RPs, with their long plots and heavy character focus.

If you think you fit into one of those brackets, feel free to take a look.

Soon the character creation and play rules will be re-posted- in fact., I ddi most the work in advance last August, which is fortunate as I certainly have no time now. I am making these rules as clear as possible, but a stern warning exists that this is a full RP system and the rules will take a certain amount of time to learn- they are not tremendously difficult, but nor are they entirely simple, so if that pus you off... then fair enough.

Everyone will be re-making characters- I have given starting characters slightly better stats, some professions had been tweaked, and new rules for Herbalism and Magic will be going in, and so it is better for people with existing characters to re-do from scratch (with the beneift of wisdom) and add their experience on. Experience for the current characters will be considerable; new characters will start with some freebie xp but will be, in general, cnotably less powerful than their compatriots.

Before that time (because actually I am still waiting on those new Magic rules), I don't want to confuse people by talking about rules and so forth. I just want to gauge interest, and see what people want to be.

This LOTR game is set 1000 years before the films, when Sauron is just a dead memory and Mordor a forgotten land of old evil, in the time where Man ran not one but two great Kingdoms- Gondor in the South any casual fan should know of, but in the North there was the other Kingdom, Arnor, whuich was actually a more pure Kingdom, directly descended from Isildur, than Gondor ever was. However, for many centuries, Arnor was beset by a great foe, the Witch-King, in his nearby mountain Kingdom of Angmar. War, plague and strife led to Arnor splitting into three Kingdoms, and over time only one, Arthedain, remains true to its heritage.

The game is set in Arthedain, as the struggle against the Witch-King approaches its height. On the throne is King Arvedui, the finest monarch in many centuries, a true Dunadan hero. To the west of Arthedain lies the Shire, the not-long established land of the Hobbits, under Arvedui's protection; to the east, past the enemy-occupied land of Rhudaur lays Rivendell, the great Haven of the Elves, with whom cordial relations are maintained. To the South, Cardolan, once a part of mighty Arnor but now a sparse and smashed remnant of its former glory. North of Rivendell and Rhudaur lies Angmar, the mountain Kingdom of evil, where Orcs and Goblins breed. Beyond the mountains lay the lands of the Eotheod, weak from recent occupation but growing storng, who will later be known as the Horse Lords of Rohan. To the southeast, the great Dwarven Kingdom of Khazad-DUm- later called Moria- still thrives, and smaller Dwarven operations lay in the mountains to the North also.

Man, Hobbit, Orc, Dwarf and Elf, a thousand years ago it may be, but the people are the same as those we know from the books and films. Players can be of any kind they like. Yet there is no great alliance of the free people in these times; the races are divided even amongst themselves and have little trust of each other. Why should they come together? 2000 years have passed since the time of Sauron and his defeat by the Last Alliance, and only the Elves remember, and they are keeping to themselves as they dwindle in the Third Age. Orcs still exist, but why should anyone wonder? They are far, foreign problems. If Arnor is threatened- and warred amongst itself even as it was threatended- whose business is it of anyone elses? Even Gondor cares little for its Northern cousin, even if it was not beset by its own problems, which it is- just as everyone else is. Gondor was nearly conquered by hordes from the East, who subjugated the Eotheod tpoo; no-one ever helped them. The Elves isolate themselves from the others, the Dwarves care only for gold, no-one even knows who the Hobbits are.

But some look, worried, at the threat of Angmar. In Rivendell, in very close proximity of the enemy, Elrond looks uncomfortably north at the odd power guiding the Orc hordes. To the far west, at the Elven realm of Grey Havens, the lord Cirdan wonders also. it it Cirdan who welcomed the unexpected visitors from the forgotten continent of the west, the five 'Wizards' who had come to see what was transpiring in Middle-Earth. One of these Wizards made it his business to see what was happening in the Northen Lands- the men there called him Gandalf. And Gandalf has brefirnded the great King Arvedui too.

It is on Gandalf's advice that Arvedui has thrown open the borders of hard-pressed Arthedain to all. All free races, all free types are welcome to his court at the ancient city of Fornost-Erain. There, Arvedui plans to sow the seeds of a new Alliance of races, one that will be strong enough to destroy Angmar and banish the Witch-King for all time.

And several have answered this call, people of all kinds coming to Fornost, either as representatives of their people, or travellers and adventurers wanting to see what the situation there is. The players, in this game, play these people, answering Arvedui's call, and starting to do battle with the numerous minions of the Witch-King.

The new story takes place after the start of Arvedui's recent attempts to start off a new Alliance with the shattered realm of Cardolan, a move which also helps bring a suitable resolution to a dark prophecy made at his birth. The first Lord of Cardolan has now signed up- but in a large battle at his home, the Lord has lost most of his power, and the alliance as yet means nothing. Meanwhile, a great disaster has overcome Arthedain, and people worry for the future.

Yet now is not the time for such things. It is the Summer, the time of Man, and a time to celebrate life. Arthedain is strong and still yet secure, and plans are still there for mighty things in the future. The Elves have finally shown some interest, and some contact has been made with all the lands of Middle-Earth. It is in this time of brightness and celebration, as the entertainments for the Summer begin, that the new players will join and meet the old.

But there are dark things at the heart of Arthedain itself- and Summer never lasts forever.

---

If you are interested in playing, please say what race you want to be wnad what kind of character you want to be. One warning- last time I did this I got totally overrun by Elves. I do want to keep the number of Elves in the game in some sense of proportion, so please do look at the other options as well!

Thanks for your interest...

Tptmanno1
I'm still in as the mage...

Storm

Dexx
still in as an animist...i look forward to the magic rules smile

rusky
hey...Andromir's not going anywhere..

Silver Stardust
I'm interested!!! (as I have just NOW noticed this thread....)

I'm thinking my character will be a female Eotheod scout.

Ushgarak
Blimey, what with Storm coming in from that angle as well, it's going to be Eotherama around here!

Dexx
well...i'll be the noldor in their spine stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
I think Im a Noldor too,
I just picked whatever had teh best Mage ability...

dark1365
Dwarf with huge maul Warhammer.
"Call me Falstad, laddie!"

Corlindel
Bah...I keep the same character and background ofc. Noldor rulezz..

Corlindel Morinoldo will kick those scum back to Angmar. I Still have some orc's heads to decapitate evil face

Silver Stardust
Scratch that...if I can I want to be a half-elf. Still a scout, though.

Captain REX
This time around, you shall see the return of the trio!

Talin the Dwarf! Anglomir the Gondorian warrior! William Took the Archery Hobbit!

All played respectively by me, Bespin, and Zink...

Corlindel
The RPG version of the three mosqueteers stick out tongue wink

Captain REX
Sure why not. My friend, my brother, and I joined when the original started. I wonder if BC and Alkaselzer will join in...

Mace Skywalker
Yo, whats up. I might be a noob here in this rpg but not in general. I have my qualifications that can be listed later, however i would love to play as an elf from rivendell in the rpg if you would allow. praferably a black elf, its up to you.

Anderson
Hi all. I'm new, and I am a LotR fan, so I'd love to join.I'll be a Dwarf character, Ferill, if you don't mind.

Mace Skywalker
Hell yeah guys, lets get this going, I can't wait.

Ushgarak
Ok, for those feeling cleever enough to do character creation from just the raw rules... here's the new thread!

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f41/t326037.html

Dexx
i'll have a look..can't promise anything

Silver Stardust
I'll look at it sometime soon...

Fire
I checked it out, seems to be very much alike with the old one. (I'm not changing argentis ush so if possible I'd like the same load out)

Ushgarak
Nope, there are changes; I'd like everyone to do it.

Fire
Ok

ARC Trooper 117
*Shows interest*

Mace Skywalker
You know i'm anxious, but ill spare my first question and go right for the second. What is the name of our book or chapter?

animeboy08
I'm interested can I be Bradius an elven prince

Lord Melkor
I would be interested in playing a Dunadan Mage.

Do you have any notes on magic in Middle Earth? It is very rare and subtle, especially if you aren`t 2000 old Noldor or Istari.

Is your vision closer to books or films?

Could I be an apprentice of one of Istari?

Ushgarak
It's more like the books, apprentice to the Istari, absolutely not.

New Magic thread is just up, and feel free to look at character creation!

gamewarrior
Hello can I join. I want to be a human Knight.

http://www.capricorn007.com/images2/knight.gif

Sethcx
I'm guessing the games underway already, if not is there any chance I could jump a spot?

I would like to play either a half orc/orc or if thats not possible (no rules listed and difficult to keep alive!) a hobbit.

Locke714
i dont know if this RP is still happening, but if possible i want to be a dwarf.

Locke714

Lord Melkor
Edited- wrong forum.

Skynoels_Gear
Yes, I'm interested to join big grin
Can I be a elf? As leng chai(handsome) as Legolas..^.^
lol..jk jk..being a wizard would be just fine

Skynoels_Gear
oops..i forgot to ask permission to join in the first place..Sorry ya..Can I join and be a white wizard?

bartdude
can i join

Ushgarak
Places are still available, but I do highly recommend a thorough reading of the rules first; this is a dedicated game for dedicated players.

TheHammer236
i would like to be a legolas type char, but instead of elf id be human and i would rather fight with my kukris the bow. if you dont know what kukris are then do a google search. id like the name Jura Nailio.thanks

Lord Melkor
I am considering joining, despite being busy with studying and my woman( maybe not the correct order). Especially if games on Lana`s forums don`t move forward.

Ush, what is the state of the game? How many people are actively playing?

Ushgarak
About five. Thers's easily room for more.

Stratigo
hmmmm are you still looking for more. I have just read the rules and am currently reading character creation, but this looks very cool indeed.

EDIT: And yes I'll be a human Dunadin Warrior

Lord Melkor
What are the professions of active characters? Concerning Magical types, there is one Mage but no Animist, right?

Ushgarak
I think that's about right, yes. Rangers are common, as are Warriors, one Mage, no Animist os of yet, I think.

Lord Melkor
I am thinking about Dunedain Animist. There are mostly elves now?

But it depends if the Vampire game on Lana`s forums starts, it has my priority.

KingDubya
This seems to be good. If I end up joining, it'll probably be with a magic-type character.

KingDubya
Okay, the one thing I'm a little confused about is how the magic actually works. I went to character creation and the magic reference thread to look. In character creation, some mage types had "Spell Skills" as a skill category. Are those still in, or were they taken out at some point?

Ushgarak
The magic system is not 100% transcribed yet- though in fact all the spell lists are now correct.

They are really easy to use in-game, but it will be covered come any need.

And you are welcome to join- once the buzz from putting the new SW game together dies down and my holidays start, I am powering ahead with this one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.