Nine Levels of Lightsaber Combat?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mtryder
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but I tried search and it didn't turn up any results for me.

I've been hearing quite a bit about how Anakin has become so powerful that he is now a "level nine" lightsaber user, along with Yoda and Sidious. Obi-Wan, apparently, is a level 8. I was just wondering, basically, if anyone knew of a complete list of which Jedi fall on which level? I would be fascinated to see how they are ranked.

I know about the seven lightsaber forms, and given that Mace is the only living practitioner of Form VII at this time, it really surprises me that he's apparently a seven out of nine, at most, and that he falls below Obi-Wan. Or is the list of 9s and 8s that I've been presented with an incomplete one?

DarkYoda
Well I don't know who has been spreading this nonsense, but I have sure never heard anything to this effect "officially." If there is a discussion or an opinion on this it is definitely engineered by fanboys or idiots.

laughing lol

Morridini
I have never heard of these levels. And how can Mace be seven and Yoda nine? Didn't Obi-wan say that Windu is better then Yoda in saberuse, in AotC?

Ushgarak
Yup, sounds like fanboy stuff. Moving to EU.

mtryder
It's a method that Nick Gillard uses to determine how he will sequence lightsaber duels, so it's certainly not EU.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/beacon126.html

Ushgarak
That's just a reference they use to rate how good the combatants are in the duels they are devising. It's not a way they are rated within the univerise.

Forms are from the EU and ARE in thae universe, hit only in EU canon.

So you can either be talking about Forms- EU- or trying to apply Nick Gillards system for choreographing fights to other Jedi- also belonging in EU.

DarkYoda
Well I stand somewhat corrected. Interesting...I hadn't ever read that before. smile

Now that Nick Gillard's name has been brought up I kind of seem to remember him talking on one of the Star Wars DVDs about different forms of sword fighting. And I kind of think that this should be in the Episode III forum because it is about the making of Episode III lightsaber duels.

But I am confident that no list exists for the skills of each Jedi unless Lucas has one in a desk somewhere. I'm sure SuperShadow could come up with a list though. laughing laughing out loud

Darth_Nefarus
Of course Super Shadow could, he does afterall edit for Lucas.

Ushgarak
I have already given the reasons why this is an EU subject. If it is not a fight that Gillard has choreographed then there is no rating he would have assigned them. Like I say, it is NOT an in-universe thing.

jackstain
mace windu created form 7 but is not the only user....depa billaba and darth maul aslon use it

Master Mawi
How would Darth Maul know about Form VII? Sora Bulq and Depa billaba are the only ones to practise it.

Master Mawi
Personally I think Darth Maul is a Form V user

Kun-ni Habeo
darth maulNEVER used form VII

Darth_Glentract
actually he was using form VII. Form VII was incomplete and Mace made his version called Vapaad and Maul used his and its name is unknown.

Darth Jello
how is maul's style applicable to sabre combat if his weapon is better defined as a staff?

Wanderer259
Well, apparently the term 'lightsaber' applies to all weapons that utilize that sort of technology. As far as forms go, they really don't differ as far as techniques go, at least largely. For the most part, a form is simply the way each Jedi uses their lightsaber.

For instance, Form III users focus something like 95% on defense. The entire time during a fight, a Form III practitioner will stay on the defensive until they spot what they think is an opportunity -- an opening in their opponent -- and then strike. They're very good at deflecting blaster bolts.

Form V, however, is nearly the exact opposite. Whereas a Form III user will stay defensive, Form V users forego defense almost entirely and focus on offense -- constantly attacking. Sort've a 'no need for defense when your opponent is dead' mentality. They deflect blaster bolts, but they don't do it from the need to defend themselves; they deflect back at their enemies on purpose. For them, it's merely a convenient weapon that their enemy just gave them.

Form III and Form V practitioners will use the same techniques (a certain kind of spinning cut or whatever, for instance), but they fight differently. A form is a combat philosophy, really.

Darth_Janus
Excellent way of looking at it.

Doctor Strange
There are seven forms. Mace Windu created Form VII: Vapaad. Kit Fisto uses form I, a more primal form of combat. Dooku uses form II, basically fencing. Obi-wan uses the traditonal defensive form III. Anakin uses the offense-based form V. Logically, we can assume that Yoda's acrobatic style of combat is either form IV or form VI.

Wanderer259
Yoda is using Ataru (Form IV). It's because of his size and the speed at which he moves that he's left less vulnerable using it than Qui-Gon was.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, Yoda's an Ataru master. And Form II is not just fencing. It's precision based lightsaber fighting. A style made for defeating less skilled opponents and holding off better ones.

Doctor Strange
Yes, but if you watch Dooku's fight with Obi-wan carefully, most of the moves he uses are fencing moves.

Darth_Glentract
form two was supposed to fencing, but was changed for the movies for some reason. Dooku is not fencing.

Darth Revan33
I kinda like the levels of combat, it shows us how powerful George portrays some of his characters in the movies. Of course Darth Revan would've been the only 10 ever. heh heh heh. just kidding about that last part.

Darth_Nefarus
No, but Form 2 is definately based off of fencing and there are several manuevers Dooku uses that are from fencing

Darth Jello
well, every form has elements from at least six forms of combat-Eppe, Foil, and Sabre Fencing, along with Kendo, Kenjitsu, and Ioudo. What Dooku uses is closest to Sabre fencing

Darth Mantis
What are all nine types of the lightsaber combat?

Doctor Strange
There are only seven. Read back. All of them are mentioned.

Darth Mantis
Oh okay, thanks.

Darth Mantis
Oh wait there was only 7 types of lightsaber styles in KOTOR II. Now I remember... I know this is off subject but in kotor II what did the lightsaber styles do? My way of attacking did not change.

Darth Jello
the duel in ANH was pretty much pure Kendo, which is why the footwork was so pivoting and restrictive.

Darth_Janus
Yeah, it was kendo. Originally, lightsaber combat was all supposed to be like that. But GL went back on that with the prequels.

Darth Jello
well starting in ESB it's based more on Kenjitsu for luke with better footwork and somemore one handed work. while vader used a straight combination of foil and sabre fencing.

Master Mawi
What is Form VII? Except it is both Form IV and Form V. I mean in real life.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
actually he was using form VII. Form VII was incomplete and Mace made his version called Vapaad and Maul used his and its name is unknown.

there is a name for the incomplete VII form its called juyo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.