is god an atheist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
if one god did create everything then would he be an atheist since their is no god above him

clickclick
check the defintion of an atheist. Also, since God is all knowing it isnt about believing.

debbiejo
Interesting question, but isn't being an atheist saying that you don't believe in God? Then wouldn't that be saying He doesn't believe in Himself??

Philosophicus
God cannot be an atheist as he doesn't exist.

debbiejo
OH that's right. I forgot. Let me bow down again to you master. wacko

WindDancer
In way this is a quite twisted interesting question. If God does exist he/she prolly does not believe there is someone more supreme than him/her. Hmmm....If I understand atheists correctly they don't believe that there isn't a supreme being. Hmmm.....maybe God can be an atheist after all. stick out tongue

clickclick
Atheism is a disbelief in God.

Philosophicus
"Atheism is a disbelief in God."

No, it's saying there is no god - you are once again illogical - one can only disbelieve in something when you accept it's existence, but do not follow it.

Ou Be Low hoo
Ahhh...Now I understand your gripe with clicky...

clickclick
Two things here. For one, the definition of atheism came straight from the dictionary.

Two, you dont really understand exactly what disbelief is. You dont have to accept anything's existence to be in disbelief. Just there mere rejection of a belief.

Clearly not only are you wrong but you are full of it.

Philosophicus
The dictionary from which you took the definition could've been compiled by a biased person(s). Definitions of words are completely subjective anyway - INTERPRETATION! Also, compilators of dictionaries are not philosophers, so they don't always think about the entire ontology of a word when they define it.

clickclick
Oh please. You claim that the definition of a word is completely subjective in an attempt to excuse your behavior. However had you truly believed such a thing, you would have no excuse for how you responed to me when I defined atheism.

Added to which, your interpretation doesnt make you right. The fact remains that there is a defition for the word disbelief of which, you failed to completely understand.

This is just another example of why I dont like responding to you and why I try to avoid getting in depth in subjects with you. It is a hassle and it most certainly wont be worth the time or energy.

dizzyblondegirl
well you crtainly proved your point and i have to agree with you clickclick big grin

debbiejo
We just love that word subjective don't we. laughing

mr.smiley
lets assume their is a God (for all you people who don't belive in one)
and he created everything.
could it be possible he feels the way we do but at a higher scale?
Imagine if you were the most powerful being in the entire universe,wouldn't you question if their were a being greater than you?

mr.smiley
God did say their are no other gods before me i think.
so even if their was another god he probably wouldn't belive it.

eleveninches
discuss here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f80/t311451.html

Philosophicus
Fine, clickclick, dizzyblondegirl and debiejo, all you narrow minded creationists...keep believing the limited and narrow definitions of words in dictionaries of which the meaning was not at all clear to who ever compiled it. ASK A DICTIONARY FOR THE PLAIN DEFINITION OF A WORD, BUT ASK THE PHILOSOPHER FOR THE REAL MEANING OF A WORD.

dizzyblondegirl
fine then give us answer

debbiejo
OH look at the time, It's Thurs., Philo. and I haven't bowed down to you yet today. Sorry Master. one eye

clickclick
For one, your petty insults dont change the situation one bit. You think that somebody being a creationist makes them "narrowminded". How pathetic a suggestion. Added to which, the your reference you made to people being creationist is laughable given the current subject (the meaning of a word).

Please try to act like a mature adult instead of using your childish diverting tactics by stating irrelevancies.

You claimed that the meaning of a word is subjective, so why did you act as if yours interpretation was the authority?

You complain about how "limited" the definitions for a words in dictionaries are. However, that is not a legitimate objection. They need to be limited, otherwise language would be hindered greatly.

Clearly, you were out of line in your objection, aswell as in the way you objected.

Not only does the dictionary refute your objection but YOU refute your initial objection.

Calling yourself a philosopher isnt going to get people to respect you either.

Good luck and peace.

debbiejo
here, here!! Philosophers do like the word subjective unless they are the ones doing the talking to make their own points. reading

mr.smiley
can we get back to the subject please

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.