Rick McCallum Chat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Matafaka
here is EVERYTHING what he said on the chat (2/8/05)

Q=Question
A=Answer

Q. I am concerned that the dark storyline and content of Episode III will be compromised to achieve a particular rating. Is George content with a PG-13 (12A UK) or is he going to pull some punches to get a PG?

A: Don't be worried. Do you actually believe that we would change the story to get a rating? Get real!

Q: I have been following the recording sessions at the Abbey Road Studios on the webcam and it is great being able to watch the last SW sound track being recorded not so far away in London. How does it sound, and is it as epic as Duel of the Fates?

A: Definitely. And we still have a few more days to go.

Q: Hi Rick! After doing such a great job on the Star Wars prequels, have you ever thought about directing your own movie? Also, will we discover which Jedi erased Kamino from the archives?

A: I directed my first film at film school and in one single hour I was able to destroy the whole language of cinema that DW Griffith had created so I thought, I had better stick to producing.

Q: will some rolling heads be seen on screen?

A: Absolutely. In fact one of them is mine!

Q: Hi Rick! I was wondering now that all(?) major photography is done, from what you've seen completed and shot, how proud are you of this film? What's next for our favorite producer?

A: Have you ever seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Well, I'm ready for a long sleep. And I can't wait to wake up with as a pod person.

Q: Hey Rick,
Since George is right there can he answer any questions for us?

A: Definitely. Go for it.

Q: Everyone knows that you cast all of the beautiful women, in the night club scene in AOTC. But what I want to know, is did you also help out with their costume fittings ?

A: Yes I was Trisha's assistant for three lovely days.

Q: George and Rick ... it's so great to be talking to both of you!
How many duels are there in Episode III?
Thank you!

A: Five.

Q: Is there any chance you will be stopping by Celebration III this year to show us some goodies from the film like last time?

A: Definitely.

Q: Will the digital-cinema version contain more scenes than the "normal" version?
And if yes, will there be an Episode 3 DVD with these extented scenes? Will they be integrated into the movie?

A: At the moment no, but knowing George, he'll be making little changes up until the last minute, so there would be differences. But at the moment, no.

Q: > will some rolling heads be seen on screen?
> Absolutely. In fact one of them is mine!

Are you joking, or serious?

A: Dead serious.

Q: Can you give us a preview of the full trailer? How 'bout a line of dialogue or something...

A: No ######### it is the best trailer we've ever done. Favorite line?

Anakin: "Is there anyway I can learn these powers?"
Palpatine: "Not from a Jedi..."

Q: How does Matthew Wood souns as Grievous?

A: Let's put it this way: he's not a great sound editor, so it's a good thing his acting is as good as it is.

Q: What piece of music in espisode III that you felt most touched?

A: Well so far -- remember, we're less than halfway through scoring -- my favorite cue so far is the one when all the Jedi are slaughtered.

Q: Are you or George Lucas planning to watch the film in a theatre incognito
for fun and to guage the reaction of the fans first hand?

A: Yes, definitely. I plan to be in LA to see the opening night.

Q: Will Tion Medon survive ROTS or is he killed?

A: Yes, he lives.

Q: Hey Mr. McCallum and Mr. Lucas -

Is it true that by the end of this film every major character that wields a lightsaber on screen will have lost at least one duel?

Thanks so much for your time.

A: Wow... you're good. You're very good. I want the name and number of your informant. Have him sent to my office immediately.

Q: In ROTS, will Yoda or Sidious use a Force ability previously unseen in any of the movies?

A: Nah, it's the same old #####

Q: The casting has always been great (Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee, Harrison Ford, et al), but is there anyone you would have liked to have worked with but couldn't due to scheduling conflicts?

A: No, not really. We were always able to work around everyone's schedule. Obviously, there's a lot of people that I would have loved to work with, but we just didn't have the part for them.

Q: Who is older, Luke or Leia?

A: As of today, Luke is born first. On the next chat, I'll give you the definitive answer.

Q: Is the television on the wall showing the trailer, or is it just a scene from the film?

A: What you're seeing is the cue that is being scored as this very moment. The way it works is that George is the control room (completely out of control, adds George) watching John conduct with a 110-piece orchestra and then after each take, John and the key players go into the control room to listen to the playback and George's comments. I'm upstairs in an office which has a screen that plays the cue so I can hear and see exactly what's happening below me. I'm going to move the camera for a couple of seconds to show you the view that I have which is awesome.

Q: Ask George if he ever has an itch to grab the stick and conduct the orchestra himself?

And Rick, does he get agitated just sitting there watching someone else do all the work?

A: No, you have to understand that not only is John a great composer, but he is a fantastic conductor as well. Also, we never know what the score really is until we actually hear it with the orchestra. There's no way to describe how blissful these two weeks are because it's only now that you actually see and hear the film come alive.

Q: When will you be able to see a (reasonably) complete, scored, cut of the movie?

Are you anxious about it?

A: I'm not anxious about it, because John never lets anyone down. We'll probably be able to see and hear the film totally complete about five days before it's released. Now THAT's what I'm anxious about!

Q: Will the new score be in the next Episode 3 trailer???

A: No. I'm afraid that ship has already sailed.

Q: Rick, I live just a few miles from those studios. Any chance of me coming down now and having a prevue???

A: It's too late for today. But if you're here at 10:30 tomorrow, I'll let you have a little peek. Ask for John Singh. But if you tell anyone else, I will have you terminated.

Q: Roughly 2 hours 13 minutes and 22 seconds. But that's only as of now. "

With or without the credits?

A: Without.

Q: is it true that obi 1 likes blasters?

A: Only ones with batteries. Actually, he finds them distasteful

Q: Rick,

Will we see the Japor Snippet again in ROTS?

A: Yes.

Q: What movie - besides Ep III - are you looking forward to in 2005 ?

A: Kingdom of Heaven. War of the Worlds

Q: What happens next after the score is completed?

A: We rush back to the States, we still have about 450-500 effects shots to do. ILM is doing a terrific job. Then we do the mix next month. And then we start all the foreign versions. Now, this is when the heat really starts to burn

Q: Is the shot of Anakin in the teaser tailer where he has the "sith eyes" really happen in the movie? Or is it part of his nightmare he has on Coruscant?

A: There are dreams in this movie, but that ain't one of them.

Q. I have a question about the German version. Can you already say if the voice of Darth Vader will be the one from the German teaser? That didn't sound very much like Vader!

A: Thanks for letting me know this. I'll look into it.

Q. What language does Tion Meddon speak?
will his speech be subtitled?

A: He speaks English.

Q: Will Anakin have the red/yellow "Sith eyes" during the final fight scene?

A: For some of it.

Q: Hi Rick Dude,

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to us this morning!
Dude....I'm so excited for Episode III

Talk to me dude.....who's the biggest villain in Episode III - Anakin, Sidious or Grievous?

Thanks dude.
-Andrew

A: Dude. Hands down. Sidious.

Thanks everyone. It's been way too long since I did one of these. I've got to keep my record and make sure no one comes close to breaking it. I'm sure we'll see each other soon enough.

-Rick

zavin
wow

ARC Trooper 117
Hmm....interesting, if it's not a fake. wink

The Ones
so..is the chat hyperspace only or can anyone do it?

Matafaka

BAILY
Yeah this stuff is real... boy, these nerds ask dumb questions sometimes....

OB1-adobe
So there are 5 duels huh

ARC Trooper 117
I would have asked:
-So Rick, does JEJ do ANY Vader dialogue in the movie?
-Will this movie clash with any other continuity set up in the other movies?
-Is the EU ruined thanks to this movie?

mandalorian_war
so rick gets his head chopped off cool

Sith Master X
Wow, great!

Lord Darth Gabe
Anakin and Obi-Wan vs. Dooku
Grievous and henchmen vs. Obi-Wan
Mace, kit fisto, Agen Kolar, Saesee tiin vs. Palpatine and Anakin/vader
Yoda vs. Palpatine
Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan

These are the 5 duels in the exact order that happens in Episode 3...

Badio
Guys, i took part at the chat today:

What you don't realize is the chat is HEAVILY MODERATED.
Every question submitted is first evaluated by a "third part", then turned
to Rick (if not too "provocative", of course).

I personally submitted a lot of questions about Grievous, Cut scenes, Qui Gon and Dooku's role, Vader with lightsaber in publicity shots, and Lucas' feelings about redeeming the franchise with this one.
But none of those passed, and then you end up trying everything to get an answer. So in my case the only question that was turned to Rick was about the final, scored cut of the movie (the least interesting, of course). sad

So, next time think about this before saying phrases like "these nerds ask dumb questions sometimes....". wink

No offence taken, of course, but i thought it was right to clarify the issue.

Anakin2Vader
Answer 1 - Yes
Answer 2 - Of course we tried to make it clash as much as possible to allow for the least continuity possible... we really didnt even take the other films into consideration while making this one
Answer 3 - Yes EU is officially cancelled

Thanks MataFaka

Arsenal
damn I wish more people had asked spoiler questions

Badio
As i said, we tried, but we couldn't get past the evaluation by the moderator... sad

Dropkick
To any of the HS members here:

Can you provide any good screen shots of the webcam? Maybe of the big screen that was shown in the background for the LPO to see?

POOTtheMONK
I hear some of the webcam shots were pretty good during the chat. Can anyone post them? big grin

Well, it seems Dropkick and I think alike. stick out tongue

amity75
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Torik_Shai
Inetersting stuff. Now the Ternian spoiler about Kit Fisto's head doesn't seem so far-fetched.

mathkenobi
yes could someone post pics of the webcam during the chat or a video if that's possible.

Dropkick
Thought I'd ask one more time. If nobody's willing to post screenshots, then just let this thread die.

unknown hero
Ahhhh!! I live about a minutes walk from Abbey Road Studios! Ahhh! When was this cat and when is the 10:30am that he refered tooo!!!!!! I must go!!!!!

JKozzy
Yesterday... or was it the day before? You might be able to get in tomorrow stick out tongue

unknown hero
I feel a slight case of 'starwarsitis' coming on tomorrow...

"errr...I can't come to work today boss cause I have to go watch George Lucas score..."

He'll understand...I'm sure of it.... smile

ARC Trooper 117
stick out tongue

GCG
so sidious loses the duel against mace ?

guiro72
is what i've been hearing.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.