Self image and the Media

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Curl_Up&Dye
Hey everyone!

I am writing a research paper on how the media (mainly print and broadcast advertisement) affects the self esteem and self image of children and teenagers

I was hoping that I could get some first-hand input on the topic. If anyone would like to share their stuggles with self-image, eating disorders caused by it, self esteem, and just opinions in general about how the media affects us please email me at [email protected], or leave a post!
Everything is all anonymous, and everything is all in the name of educating others!!!

I myself have struggled with some of the things I have mentioned, but it is not an opinion paper so I need input from others!

PASS THE WORD ALONG! EVERYONE'S OPINION COUNTS!!!

thank you very much!
Ryanne

shaber
Hi curlupanddye big grin You might want to post this in the General discussion forum too.

Alpha Centauri
Not much I can say really. I've seen it affect someone I know though.

Alot of girls with low self esteem due to the women portrayed in magazines having flawless looks, don't realise that those pictures are 99% edited. Airbrushed, photoshopped etc.

Dunno if that helps but is all I can say.

-AC

shaber
Also the standards of beauty are grotesque and encourage people to become bulimic and have unnecessary surgery etc. In the 17th century it was considered attractive to be plump!

The Tired Hiker
People are stupid, and they will believe anything they see on television.

s|m
^ true.
It depends on what ppl watch erm. For example, the cartoons, soap-operas, etc. The kids immitate the characters, and usually, the most appealing are the violent, loud and disrespectful ones. Believe me, i know. I live with a cartoonaholic no expression.
Commercials have about the same effect.

Curl_Up&Dye
the show that started the whole thing for me was the swan....

thats the reason why i chose that particular topic. I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was so repulsed by it that I felt like I needed to do something to educate people about loving themselves for a change, instead of trying to perfect their body.

It's starting with the paper....then who knows...

silver_tears
I'm writing a paper on the same topic big grin
I already have my thesis, if it's any good it'll be in my portfolio for university erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.