Will Humanity Live To See The Next 200 Years?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
Somehow i doubt it, humans have an almost aweinspiring talent for planning their own demise and the way things are going today................................................................... well we might not be around to long.

PVS
actually, i think humans have an aweinspiring talent for denying their own demise. for instance the 'myth' of global warming.

Ushgarak
No, Global Warming is an example of humans exaggerating the prospects of their own demise.

dean7879
humanity will live to see the next 200 years..but i dont think there will be much of humanity left in that time

dean7879
Apocalypse now: how mankind is sleepwalking to the end of the Earth
Floods, storms and droughts. Melting Arctic ice, shrinking glaciers, oceans turning to acid. The world's top scientists warned last week that dangerous climate change is taking place today, not the day after tomorrow. You don't believe it? Then, says Geoffrey Lean, read this...
06 February 2005

Future historians, looking back from a much hotter and less hospitable world, are likely to play special attention to the first few weeks of 2005. As they puzzle over how a whole generation could have sleepwalked into disaster - destroying the climate that has allowed human civilisation to flourish over the past 11,000 years - they may well identify the past weeks as the time when the last alarms sounded.

WindDancer
Yes! Humanity will continue even after 200 years from now.

The Black Plague
The Cold War
Global Warming
And even Terrorism

Won't stop humanity. The destiny of humanity is just unknown.

Ushgarak
I am surprised a person who questions official positions so much as you do, Dean, is simply towing the doomsayer line on this one.

It is in fact far more likely that future generations will look back and laugh at how hysterically panicky and exaggerative people at this time were about manmade climate change.

Alpha Centauri
"Future historians, looking back from a much hotter and less hospitable world"

Well I live in England. Full of bad weather and idiots.

Hotter and less people seems like a plus. Dunno what the fuss is about.

-AC

Linkalicious
I smell Y2K.

WindDancer
So you live in England AC? Hmmm......

Alpha Centauri
Thought that was obvious from:

A) The numerous times I've said it.

and B) The fact that is said "United Kingdom" in my location bit.

-AC

WindDancer
I see....

Anyways, well getting back to topic one thing is for sure. I won't be around 200 years from now to laugh back at our times. stick out tongue

Smasandian
Human have a very good quality of adapting themselves to thier climate. Unless a meteor smacks the earth, or aliens want to harvest our bodies for moisture, I cant really us dying in the next 200 years.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah I kinda thought of that. If the world blows up right after I die, won't really matter to me either way.

Surprised that I'm from the UK then, Wind?

-AC

PVS
so global warming does not exist or it really doesnt matter?

dean7879

Ushgarak
It is startlingly exaggerated, normally for publicity or political purposes. Science involved in it is often exaggerated, mis-attributed, mis-used or even made up. Anyone who differs from the orthodoxy on it is immediately pilloried as evil and destructive, regardless of the reasonableness of, and evidence behind, their claims.

Global Warming has become an area where all dissent is quashed without trial, and I do not see why people do not seem to mind that, yet pillory it everywhere else. There ARE two sides to this one; people seem not to want to see the counter-argument.

It is not as if it is not possible for it to happen- the basic theory is solid. Its practical possiblity, however, has been hyped up beyond reason.

Tex
200 years?!?

Of course, that's nothing.

People will be around for tens of thousands of years! yes

Clovie
huh

leonheartmm
climate is not the only threat, humans themselves are bigger threats, the world's fossi fuel reserves are finishing, forsest are beeing used so much that 97% will probably be dead at the turn of the century, world population is increasing at an astounding rate, the food we produce now is not enough to feed the world and in the future this problem will only get worse, morality is ending, people are becoming more corrupt by the second, there is no place in people's hearts for people that are 'different'
, relegious extremism is becoming higher{in all regions and relegions}, and by far the most dangerous thing is that we have bastards running the nations of the world which have enough power to destroy the world and lets not forget the amount of weapons of mass destrction we have {enough to destroy the whole earth MANY times over with ease}, people are suffering in conflicts and wars and all the people who live in wealthy sates turn a blind eye to them and their government's actions because of ignorance and propaganda, the world will soon reach it's breaking point.

Ushgarak
World over-population certainly is an issue. Of course, again, this is an rea of great exaggeration- many was the spokesperson in earlier decades who said the world would be unihabitable by the 21st century, let alone the 22nd.

In many areas, Humanity's abaility to adapt technologically has confounded earlier predictions; abaility to hande large populations has increased. likewise, the life expectancy of fossil fuels has been increased by more efficent methods.

But logically speaking, at some point, there must be a time when population really DOES get too much to handle, and if we are not out into the stars by then there could be trouble.

But I think it will take a long time- most likely more than 200 years- until that crisis point is reached.

PVS
well the urgency is in that a few degrees brings far more consequences than it being a bit warmer. evidence is always put forth of polar ice caps melting, temperature rising, sea lever rising...etc.

granted, many wackos jump on the environmentalist bandwagon and seem to dull the credibility of the arguement, but global warming is more than just a theory...its happening.

Ushgarak
Temperature rising is one point in contention, PVS. There is no clear evidence that any machination of man is having any effect on global temperature. Inaccurate heat measuring methods are often sited as proof; they are not; satellite images, the most accurate we have, tell a different story. Such claims also ignore that considerable amounts of the polar ice shelves are increasing, not melting.

You say manmade global warming is more than a theory and happening? No, I do not believe you; the evidence I have seen points to that not being so, and this is part of the counter argument that, as I mention, people seem to not want to see.

It really does distress me how much people are only hearing one side of this issue.

PVS
now now, dont go throwing the word "manmade" into my mouth, since i never said it stick out tongue

i think we contributed to it at least, with all the carbon dioxide we put into the atmosphere. but in the end, there is no way to prove if its our fault, a natural cycle of the earth, or a combination. whatever the cause of global warming, its happening.

i think that common sense should dictate that we should stop burning so much shit...especially since we dont have too.

Ushgarak
I rather assumed, as the conversation was talking about humanity creating threats to itself, that the generally accepeted idea that man is contributing to global warming was the subject. Far fewer people are interested in natural temperate varitations; I was merely specifying to be clear.

Natural global warming is very unlikely to hurt humanity, so that still discounts the whole thing from the topic.

"It's happening," though, is still a statement which I do not believe is supported by fact. It implies the average trend for temperature on Earth is going upwards; that has never been proven.

KharmaDog
Humans are like cockroaches, the earth will never be rid of them.

Ushgarak
In fact, even that you mention carbon dioxide as a possible cause is a topic that is in dispute. There is no correlation there either.

PVS
thats the basis of the 'greenhouse effect'. theory like everything else.
there is no 'fact' in such studies of the pattern of climate of the earth.

Ushgarak
Yet many people claim that there are, which is my issue, and people swallow it.

The carbon issue ois a particualr one. Carbon content in the atmosphere has increased over the past few decades. Evidence that this is manmade rather than natural is very small; evidence that it is natural very large.

But more importantly than that, whilst co2 content has risen, satellite temperature models have shown that temperaute, year to year, has gone up AND down, at normal variations as observed in temperature.

Which shows the point that there is absolutely no apparent link between co2 levels and temperature. co2 goes up, but temperature shows no crrelation to that. Establishing such correlation should be part of basic science, but has been ignored.

As notable sceptic John Daly said:

"While the atmospheric parts per million of CO2 have continually increased during recent decades, atmospheric temperatures have risen, and fallen, uninfluenced by any notions that some people may have about the powers of CO2. Atmospheric temperatures respond to realities, not myths."

PVS
well, there will never be evidence to support or deny that mankind is responsible for the increase in co2, but we do burn alot of shit dont we?
but yeah, it still cant be called fact, but by that same logic, it cant be written off as myth, or harmless.

Ushgarak
Yes, we burn a lot of stuff, but I believe the debate is about proportion- some say that the amount given off by Man is the tiniest fraction to that given off naturally and so has no effect...

At the end of the day I am no scientist, and I cannot stand and say "manmade global warming will never happen." But every logical and objective instinct (and it is objective, as I have no innate reason to disbelieve the theory) shows me, from my research, that this is a disputed, two-sided issue, and I have never understood why the uncertainty of this issue is so well hidden. Like I say, it could well lead to us being badly ridiculed by posterity.

PVS
very true. its funny how it is either put forth as fact or complete myth.

it seems that those in power really dont care about the actual issue...but more for the advancement of their own political agenda related to it. whether it be the left pushing for the strictest e.p.a. standards, or the right calling for complete reckless abandon

Draco69
What about nuclear war? Or biological weapon warfare?

KidRock
highly doubt that.. no one is gonna launch nukes at each other within the next 200 years..

PVS
thank you nostradomis.

case closed

roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
There are a lot of idiots out there!! Who think America is the "Evil Satan"
If they throw stones, don't you think we'd throw them back??

But they will probably start throwing stones at each other first.

gls
lets see... the earth has been continually warming up since the last ice age ended. maybe after a certain point of warmth..another ice age will occur. theres lots of things that could cause the end of humanity, be it natural disastors, war, human stupidity, robots, or aliens. we'll jus wait and see. for all we know the world will end tomorrow. 2019 there may be a close asteroid to hit earth. most likely it wont happen but theres always that .1% of it happening.
we are trying to build artificial intelligence everyday, if we get to the point where it is as "smart" as humans, then they will evolve themselves and maybe even take out humanity.
war is always a factor for human life. we may all be in world war 3 by next week.

"From time to time, it is necesseary that Famine, pestilence, and war prune the luxuriant growth of the human race." ----Aristotle

KharmaDog
So long as they only throw stones I think we'll be ok. Sticks and stones may break my bones...but names will never hurt me wink

The Inkeeper
yes, we will.
We will create AI and they will be our slaves, but one robot who murders will spark a rebellion.
As man fight machine humans will realise the robots solar energy powering thingies wont work without the sun, so they will black out the sky, but that will fail.
So they all get caught and put in a big vitual world, and some will live underground in a rebellion, and they can travel into this virtual world, and it is there they will find the one.
After much CGI later humanity will prevail and will see another few hundred years

Smasandian
I think people are getting too scared about this. Live your life normally and if shit happens, it happens.

PVS
laughing

see, i thought that the A.I. would launch a nuclear strike against mankind, and attempt to kill us all off. however a few humans would manage to band together and fight the machines. but just when we will be about to win the war, the machines will send one of their own back in time to kill of the parent of the leader of the resistance. stick out tongue

Linkalicious
Global Warming.....

I just farted.

The Inkeeper
Thats plan B

Filth
Humanity is to distructive it will be lucky to live the next 200 day with all the war and chaos it creates

Linkalicious
Am I the only one that thinks things are actually getting better in the world?

PVS
...i guess so no expression

...laughing out loud (couldnt hold a straight face stick out tongue )

Alpha Centauri
I actually agree, Link.

I think the current social and political splits in society are just what the world needed because now things are much less jumbled overall. You have more people dedicated to things wholly, as opposed to uming and ahhing about stuff. You're either for something or against it. There are much more complete views and stances.

-AC

Jackie Malfoy
We control ourselfs.So if something did happen to you it would be you not the world.JM

Filth
i disagree i think things are going to get worse maybe its just my optomistic veiw on life but i think humanity will destroy its self

Smasandian
War has been happening since humans first walked the earth, I dont think war and chaos will destroy us.

gls
true ...but we've never had the destructive power we have now

debbiejo
It will probably be the asteroid in 2012. Where will you be?

sk8stuff09
if we are smart and make good choices, we will last a couple thousand more years, I say, unless a comet blows the earth up, or something like that....

debbiejo
Youre such a cute little box of food. We could end up like that too, you know food!!

JKozzy
No.

superior
http://killermovies.com/forums/images/avatars/undead/ud25.gif wow blink blink blink

TX!
i think thats true too or if we ever have to move to another planet

ragesRemorse
the only way humanity will not be here in 200 years, is if a meteor crashes into Earth killing us all. Humans have superb talent for adapting. All out Nuclear warfare wouldn't even kill off humanity. I believe humans will be around untill we deplete our natural resources required for living.

moviejunkie23
am i the only person that believes humans will out last earth and be able to spread itself around the universe, god willing???

Smasandian
True, we havnt had the destructive power, but early in time, there wasnt nearly the amount of world population we have now.
Also, the threat of nuclear war is very diminished compared to the cold war. There isnt 2 countries going face to face anymore.

Linkalicious
would you care to elaborate on why you have this opinion?

Syren
B, I was gonna quote him for his use of 'optimistic'... What the f**k? Context much?

Anyway, I couldn't give a stuff if the world's around in 2 centuries. I'm not going to be here, my kids won't be here, see this face happy Not bothered.

ragesRemorse
things always get worse before they get better. thats just commen sense. Rhis world is in a state of tturmoil, we have the ability to change things from here on out. but will we?

Gundark
We'll be living in those silly domes like in Logans Run. I'll think I've been 'renewed' into Gundark705. Hehehe.

Syren
Domes? That sounds awesome... eating pills for meals like the Jetsons big grin

Gundark
But remember, Syren - they could only live to age 30.

Bit of a problem for some folks, that.

DEFCON One
I just recently read the newest Michael Chrichton book. I think it is called First Strike or something. Anyways, it has losts of information about how things like global warming are not happening and that there is no way to predict if it is. If you look back thousands of years, the earth's temapreature is always rising and falling, even before humans were around. Global warming is a tool used by the media to scare us.

Alpha Centauri
Wouldn't it be funny if dinosaurs came back and reclaimed the planet.

-AC

Ultimatespider
We are SO deadscared

Ultimatespider
Ohhhh Yeah! I LOVE dinosaurs.

A4E
whats Y2K

Linkalicious
Very funny!

A4E
huh?

A4E
eek! i know!! imagine how thin everybody will be!!

A4E
come ont, what is Y2K anybody?? sad (i feel so retarded)

Alpha Centauri
Year 2000.

K= Thousand.

-AC

Syren
*snort*

You couldn't have sounded more patronising if you tried, biotch laughing out loud

BackFire
I'll be dead, so I don't really care.

Syren
That's what I said, you plagiarist schmoll HOW am I supposed to work in these conditions??

BackFire
hot chicks like you aren't supposed to work, they're supposed to marry a rich guy in exchange for sex....If only I was rich....

Syren
Yah, if only roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'd marry you anyway, my sadistic Romeo eyes

BackFire
big grin *shaves and combs hair*

Syren
laughing Silly, I prefer rugged shifty

BackFire
Oh, well that's okay, I didn't actually do either of those things.

Syren
clapping Fabulous! big grin

Linkalicious
Sorry A4E, i thought you were joking.

Y2k was this big scare near the end of the millenium that had people going out to get "Y2K compliant" devices.

Supposedly when the clocks in most computers hit 2000 everything was going to start over.

At this time there was also huge hype about armagadeon and how the world was going to end the instant 2000 hit. I think some people thought that the anti-christ was going to come and the whole biblical armagadeon mumbo jumbo was going to take place

We're all still here. confused

Syren
Armageddon whistle

Linkalicious
Honestly, I've been spewing my opinion all over these boards today. If Armageddon is the only word I butchered....then i'm moving to England to get Knighted.

Syren
Knighted? Is that what they call it these days? naughty

*cough* Sorry, mind in gutter.

Linkalicious
don't apologize to me.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine out of the gutter...

Syren
*settles comfortably in gutter with old buddy* happy

The Inkeeper
I will make sure mankind dosnt live to see the next 200 years ;0

I will fund a coup like mini thatcher, but i will be sucessful with it, then take control.

Then----Global conquest

dean7879
if there is a pole shift then most of us on earth wont live

Syren
confused

Who, exactly, gives a toss? We'll all be dead anyway.

The Inkeeper
i give a toss, i wouldnt want my childrens lives cut short because of my own mistakes.

Syren
erm I'm thinking from the point of view of someone who doesn't want children, I do apologise ninja But, your children won't be around in 200 years, right?

The Inkeeper
my childrens childrens children will.

That sounds kinda silly that i canre about it, but its still my decendants.

I basically dont like the idea of the world ending- ever, not when babies and children are around, who havent had the chance to live and are basically innocent

ragesRemorse
I actually think that is oomthing humanity needs. A good ol threat of extinction to kick us in the ass. I bet we could put aside our differences pretty quickly if we were all being over run by zimbie dinosuars. That is one experience that i am looking forward to.

ragesRemorse
if your given a toss, it doesnt matter which side it lands on if it's someone elses dime.

Alpha Centauri
"A good ol threat of extinction to kick us in the ass. I bet we could put aside our differences pretty quickly if we were all being over run by zimbie dinosuars. That is one experience that i am looking forward to."

I'd be too busy laughing my head off.

*Pointing and laughing at dinosaurs chasing humans*

AC: BAHAHAAHAHAHA! YOU ARE IN TROUBLE NOW! HAHAHAHA!

*T-Rex chomps down on AC*

AC: Oh for f*cks sake.

Would be funny though. Coz T-Rex's have those small arms.

-AC

ragesRemorse
yeah, they are like giant gimp puppies with sharp teeth smile

The Inkeeper
A T-rex would be unlikely to kill lotsa people, they were scavengers.

T-rex's dinner plan was basically to wait for some nice raptors or something to take down a nice dinosaur.....scare them away, eat it.

Now the Allosauros (sp) is what you want to watch out for

A4E
ooh.. ok thanks big grin

leonheartmm
actually since most of the people here live in places like uk an america n stuff, u really dont get that this conflict wridden world is just a powder keg ready to be lit, unlike us folks most people in the world dont live the lives of peace and enjoyement that we do, people are desperate and its quiet possible that any one of them could start somethin thatll lead to a war, consider this, there are hundreds of thousands of kilograms of enriched uranium and plutonium in russia right now many of it in isolated facilties which have no1 guarding them and are only locked by a padlock!!!!!!!{this is a FACT believe it or not} and it is quiet easy to get this stuff trust me and in considerable amounts, now consider that the average university physics student {of the third world} has enough knowledge to easily build a dirty nuclear device if given this nuclear fuel and other basic equipment{which can be supplied my hundred's of thousands of organizations worldwide}, so if sum1 gets their hands on this dirty nuke and explodes it in lets say newyork, do u have any idea what thatll spark off, ill tell u, a ****in world war and believe me, america will not hesitate to use force{includin nukes} against whoever it suspects or wants to destroy. this is just 1 out of a million situations that can happen.

leonheartmm
dont trust that its that easy, well ill tell u that i myself can get my hands on about 3kg of 80% enriched uranium in about 2 months in my part of the world{not that i want to ofcourse but just stating a fact}, thats just how easy it is to get a hold of this stuff in the third world.

leonheartmm
all im sayin is that we live in a time where even the poorest of countries can easily have{and do have} hidden nuclear programmes, and considering just how many relegious extremists and stupid politicians{like bush} this world is run by{and add to this all the other things like enviornment that are gettin worse} humanity will be lucky if it even sees the dawn of the new century{and one more thing the politically ACCEPTED amount of OPERATIONAL nukes that russia alone has have the potential to destroy the whole of the earth over 36 times so sayin that a nuclear war cant destroy humnanity is stupid}

Syren
blowup

I just read your three posts twice over and I couldn't follow. Please, for the sake of those who do try to make sense, use punctuation properly crybaby

leonheartmm
eh sorry babe, ill try harder to.....uh.. please u next time

Syren
clapping Thankyou!! I'm a stickler for perfection eyes

dark1365
I think we'll live it out just as long as we don't have large squabbles over stupid things.

Which we do regularly. Uh oh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.