Watch this, it's gooooooood!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ou Be Low hoo
This is a little thread I like to think will help the members of KMC to grow, laugh, be scared, be happy, be weird, etc, etc, etc...

The name of the game is to recommend a cult/slightly obscure movie that maybe a lot of people haven't seen. Give a little explanation on why it's good and then let the chips fly...

I'll go first and recommend a lovely little bouquet by the name of 'Once Were Warriors'.

It's a New Zealand movie about a gang of Maori guys in the hood. It's breathtakingly brutal and beauiful at the same time. There's been a sequel, but I have refused to see it on the basis that it must be crap and pointless. 'Jake Da Moss' is a name to fear...go see.

Konjammenson
I would have to recommend A Clockwork Orange. Made by Stanly Kubric, the same genious behind The Shining and Full Metal Jacket.

The movie revolves around a young man named Alex, and his band of "droogies;" a gang sort of, if you will. They like to rob and pilage and indulge in "ultra-violence." The drama sets in when a mutiny takes place within the group as they atempt to throw Alex out of control. The plot unravels and Alex becomes privy to a cruel government experiment. The whole film is filled with graphic scenes, strange sets, and very interesting visuals. A true masterpiece!

Cinemaddiction
Brilliant thread idea, by the way, but it's "Jake the MUSS". Or, mess, for us yanks. "Once Were Warriors" is a fantastic film, indeed.

As for my submission:"Wasabi"

This is probably Luc Besson's least known, aside from "The Messenger", but 2nd best movie ever behind "Leon: The Professional".

Starring Jean Reno, his character, the head strong "Hubert", takes some time off from his busy schedule of cracking skulls and heads down to Japan after 19 years, to settle the estate of his deceased former girlfriend. Upon his arrival, he meets back up with his former partner, Momo, and his "surprise" daughter, Yumi.

Hubert takes custody of Yumi, and comes to find that his lost love was murdered, and that $200 Million dollars was deposited into her bank account days before. Subsequently, Hubert takes note of the hoardes of Yakuza following he and Yumi's every move.

If nothing else, you've got to rent this movie to see Leon on a Dance Dance Revolution machine. It's uproarious. It's very witty, comical, has some solid action sequences, and is just a very all around fun film to take in. I own it, and you should too.

Morning_Glory
you got to be kidding no expression

Ou Be Low hoo
Your recommendation hardly fits in with those terms.

Ou Be Low hoo
Wasabi is fun. I'd like to smoke that lady with the pink/red hair...she's fiiiiiiiiine.

Next I'd like to recommend 'Beautiful Girls' starring Uma, Portman, Matt Dillon and some others...

Nothing really happens in this move, but it's light-hearted and real. Portman does her 'Leon' thing again, but the heart of the movie is about growing-up. Not teenage growing up, but that stage in your life when getting drunk with your mates starts to become conflicted with the woman you like to hug up. It's charming, sweet, funny and has a GREAT Neil Diamond-moment in it...if that's not a contradiction of terms...

Girls and guys will dig this...

papabeard
Bubba Ho Tep

It is a comedy/horror film, wherein bruce campbell is Elvis and an old black guy who is JFK , live in an old peoples home , and fight an undead mummy. It sounds terrible , but in reality is ace. It has great emotional resonance for a film of this type and when you hear the storyline you think that this is not possible but it is, at the end of this movie you will have made a connection with the characters. The music for the film excellent and it is very funny. This is a special film.

KharmaDog
'Once Were Warriors' is an awsesome movie, well written and well acted.

Dazzler619
Fatal Attraction is a suspenseful and good movie

el barto
Switchblade Romance or HAUTE TENSION as ive seen it refered to is a Uncompromising shocker, NOT for the faint of heart!! GREAT MOVIE.....atleast for horror fans

MildPossession
Actually his recommendation does, A Clockwork Orange IS a cult film.

And yes Haute Tension is definitely worth the recommendation!

Myth
I was just going to say that. Damn. Ok, "Crime Spree." Gerard Depardu and Harvey Keitel. Some French thieves who are not very good at what they do are sent to America to rob some old people. They instead rob an underboss of the Chicago Mafia (Keitel). Soon, they have the mafia, the FBI, the Chicago Police, their boss, and a street gang after them. Comical crime drama.

BackFire
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Men Behind the Sun.

Ou Be Low hoo
It's not even slightly obscure though! Everyone has heard of it...

I'm trying to find a copy of Switchblade Romance...Fat boy Knowles loves it!

MsFit
Clockwork Orange rocks!!! Ahem,....... now that's out of my system, there's a couple I'd like to recommend depending on what genre you're into.

If you like traditional horror/suspense thrillers then give 'The Medusa Touch' (1978) a go. It stars Richard Burton as a weird author guy who believes he has telekinetic powers and thinks he is responsible for a bunch of fatal disasters. It's well creepy in the way that only seventies horror flicks can be. If you like Stephen King types try it.

If you like cheesy bling bling blaxploitation movies then try 'Black Caesar'. Can't for the life of me remember who is in it (maybe the dude from 'Shaft'- the original, not Samuel L Jackson!!) but it has all the usual stuff- long leather coats, cringe-worthy gangster lines, questionable shoot outs and to top it off, if memory serves, James Brown supplies the soundtrack. This isn't normally what I go for but it made me laugh. Even if it didn't mean to.

Failing that; 'Withnail and I'. Don't think this is obscure any more but hey.

MildPossession
It might not be obscure to you, but it is a cult film, a film can be a cult film no matter how well known it is.

Ou Be Low hoo
By that rational, I'm going to recommend that everyone should go and rent 'Reservoir Dogs'...It's this little film by a first time director that has some snappy dialogue and great song to listen to when you shave.

Do you understand the idea behind the thread now?

el barto
the exterminator........best decapitation scene ever!!!

MildPossession
I always have understood the idea behind this topic...

gentmax
I just recently saw 'Taxi Driver' with Denero. I don't know if it falls into your category, but I would recommend it. He was nuts in that flick. Good stuff.

Norma Jean
I recommend The Village. confused

el barto
Brotherhood of the wolf is another great frenche movie, it's higly recommended in my book

MildPossession
Brotherhood of the Wolf has some fantastic scenes, wonderful French film! Fantastic score music too.

KillTheLight
House of Sand and Fog

el barto
that old punisher film with Dolh Lungren, it's not the best of movies but it's a cultfilm never the less

Stokely
Great thread but I'd just like to point out a couple of things. As someone else pointed out, it's 'Jake The Mus' . And yeah, the film is NOT about a Maori gang of guys in the hood. It's a film showing how Maori have geared away from their culture in the city. It focuses on the clash between traditional and modern Maori values and how Maori have been messed up through the years dating back to white colonisation.

"What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" is an okay film. If you enjoyed "Once Were Warriors" I would recommend you watch it to follow Jake's life . It's not meant to be taken the same way as "Once Were Warriors" as they are completely different stories. This is infact a film that's about "a gang of Maori guys in the hood", lol.

Both books are based on books by Alan Duff of the same title - very accurate might I add. =)

el barto
call her one eye is the best swedish film ever hands down

jackassfan
Once were warriors is a brilliant film

A film i reccomend is requiem for a dream

el barto
eric bana's first film chopper is a very good film

RZA
I recommend "Strange Days" a good dark and gritty sci-fi flick.
Also "Caligula" a movie based on the crazy Roman Emperor of the same name.

Jackie Malfoy
Uh what are we doing?JM

Cinemaddiction
Read the first post.

dean7879
ALFIE(1966)

michael caine plays a selfish womaniser who moves himself from girl to girl to girl
Caine's character dominates the film. The women come and go in his life. While he needs their love and companionship, they are replaceable objects to him
he doesnt get emotionly involved with them..even though he has a kid by one of the women....whats different about the film is that he (Caine) talks to the camera incessantly, often while in the middle of a conversation with others, who take no notice. The camera becomes Caine's best friend and confidant, and allows him to tell us his thoughts
He can feel sorry for himself, of course, but also shows love for his out-of-wedlock son Malcolm, sympathy for a sickly man in a sanatorium, and remorse towards his aborted foetus.
only near the end of the film does he start to question his values..and maybe just maybe he realises it is time to settle down

sounds boring..but it is very entertaining, funny and sad at the same time
a must see...michael caine is brilliant

el barto
henry( portrait of a serial killer ) is a damn good film

RZA
Oh yeah, one more 'Ghost Dog' starring Forrest Whitaker.

SlipknoT
The Last Broadcast

Cinemaddiction
You guys need to start giving REASONS as to why we should see these movies.

Ou Be Low hoo
'Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai' is an excellent movie! It has a cool, funk'd up and slippin sound track and some great characters. It's about a ghetto assassin who follows the code of a samurai - but it's way outta left-field and really funny in places.

RZA
^^Glad someone agrees thumb up

RZA
Oh yeah, a few more I remembered. Sorry for spamming but it's been a while since I've seen these lower budget movies and I don't remember them all at once.

'Happiness'- no real big time actors, but many that you will recognize. Small and quirky film, mostly centered around real life dramatic events but with silly and quirky twists, sometimes way outa left field but still maintaining itself believable. The best way to describe it, a dark and sad comedy. I know doesn't make sense. Anyways, it's not for everyone, there are some really disturbing scenes in this movie which some will find funny and yet other wil find offensive, so be warned but either way it's very entertaining and remember that it is a comedy at heart.

'Goat'- The Earl Manigault story- It's a movie about the greatest basketball player that never made it. I know there's others like this out there but this one is the real deal IMO and it's so much more than just a basketball story. Great acting from Don Cheadle and Forrest Whitaker in this one. This was the one that put Cheadle on the map IMO.

'Disappearing Acts'- This is one of those romantic dramas. Not something that I'm really a big fan of mind you, but this one worked for me. Wesley Snipes and Sanaa Lathan team up again on this one like they did in Blade, but this time Sanaa isn't his mom... sick Anyway, great flick to watch with your significant other.

'King of the Jungle'- This is John Leguizamos best acting up to date. I really didn't think of him as much of an actor until I saw this movie. Intense and gritty urban drama but told from the perspective of a 'Rainman' or 'Forrest Gump'.

'Fresh'- Same tradition as the previous one urban gritty drama and told from a child's perspective. Never saw 'Searching for Bobby Fisher' but always wanted to. Fans of that one should be able to appreciate this one but keep in mind the obvious differences. The kid in this movie gives a great performance IMO, truly memorable. Btw, Sam Jackson is also in this one.

'Broken Vessels'- I had to actually do a little research on this one. I remembered seeing it but couldn't remember the name or the actors. Very low budget small time movie but very enjoyable and entertaining. It's about two ambulance drivers who are hooked on heroin. Very engrossing film and gives a glimpse into the real world of these paramedics.

There's others of course but I don't remember right now. Anyways these are all low budget films, hence the topic of this thread, so don't expect anything out of this world when you watch them.

RZA
Another one I enjoyed...
'Always Outnumbered'- the inspirational tale of Socrates Fortlow played by the ever-present Laurence Fishburne, one of his best roles to date and that's saying a lot.

RZA
In case somebody missed it.

RZA
'The Locusts'- great acting by Vince Vaughn and Jeremy Davies in this one. I think Davies is a really underrated actor. Jeremy plays the role of 'Flyboy' in this one, very enthralling film, some may be disappointed by the ending.

'Going all the way'- Another Jeremy Davies film. This time he teams up with Ben Affleck. I didn't even notice that it was Ben Affleck when I saw this movie. Anyway, watch it for the surprise shocking suicide scene and for the scene between Davies and Rose Mcgowan.

'Smoke'- Small, indie type film starring Harvey Keitel. This film basically takes place in a cigar shop in Brooklyn NY. Lots of small vignettes and scenes shot of people reminiscing while smoking. Pretty enjoyable dialogue in this one. I especially like the scene with Mira Sorvino.

'Coffee and Cigarettes'- starring RZA, GZA, and Bill f**king Murray. hehe..if you watch the movie you'll get that joke. Anyway, pretty much in the same tradition as 'Smoke' only this time it's short stories over coffee and cigarettes.

'Swingers'- This really still can't be considered a low budget surprise or anything, considering the success it had but I just thought I'd mention it, in case someone hasn't seen it yet. It was a low budget film when it came out. Great film tho, one of my favorites of all time. Vince Vaughn is in this one as well with his old buddy Jon Favreau. If you enjoyed their recent movie 'Made' then you'll love this one, it's even better. Highly recommended. Favorite quote "You're so money baby and you don't even know it'

btw, why am I the only one who's still posting here? confused

RZA
Ok, this will be the last one I post, I promise this time, I am seriously, especially since it looks like I'm the only 1 here. no expression

'Brother'- Again a very good low budget film that stars Takeshi Kitano(this man makes excellent films, very underrated actor.) He also wrote and directed in this one as well. The movie basically centers around an ex-Yakuza gangster who settles in Los Angeles. Omar epps is also in this one and though I'm really not an Epps fan at all, he did a good job in this one or at least he didn't ruin it for me. Anyway, highly recommended, check it out if you wish.

Now, screw u guys, I'm going home stick out tongue

Ou Be Low hoo
'Happiness' is a classic...That final scene...Oh my oh my oh my...

'Swingers' is one of my favourite movies of all time. If anyone hasn't seen it, they should...

I'd like to recommend 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'...It's fun, light and pre-dates the 'American Pie' series by a good few years...Plus, Sean Penn is hilarious in it.

SlipknoT
Who hasent seen FTARH?

el barto
i have'nt

movieluver
theres a lot of movies i love that i think are just so fabulous wether they give out good messages or they simply were extrememley well done.
lets see: amelie,ilove foreign films. crouching tiger hidden dragon. garden state was well done. ill think up some more and better ones later for ya guys. caiu!

xmit2005
The Conversation

Directed by Coppola and got an Oscar nod but this was released the same time as Godfather 2 so it got overshadowed and lost in the history books and categorized as a film school movie.

Has one of my favs Gene Hackman (in a role as a neurotic eavesdropper very un-Popeye Doyle/French Connection) and the woman from Laveren & Shirley (Shirley).

Compelling plot about privacy (audio) and Murch does a great job with the audio effects, especially for the time. Based in San Francisco too. A good old shot of Union Square.

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Who hasent seen FTARH?

Most non-Americans haven't seen it...It was written by Cameron Crowe of Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky, Jerry Maguire movie...

I'd also like to recommend 'Sling Blade' starring and directed by Billy 'The Bob' Thornton...It's beautiful.

MildPossession
I adored Sling Blade, fantastic.

And yes, a lot of people outside of American haven't seen FTARH.

RZA
Ok, I know I already said I wouldn't post anymore but goddammit I forgot one but this will be my last, for real this time, I am so seriously this time. Anyways...

'Kiss the Sky'- This one is about two professionals who get bored with their lives and decide to take a trip to the far east. They leave their friends and families behind and opt to go on alcohol and opium binges instead in an attempt to reclaim their youth and lust for life while at the same time going through a lot of soul searching. Throw in Terence Stamp playing a Dutch monk and you just cant go wrong.

In the end, this movie leaves you questioning whether you should do the same? Hmm...thinking...lightbulbconfused

sarcomens
Originally posted by papabeard
Bubba Ho Tep

It is a comedy/horror film, wherein bruce campbell is Elvis and an old black guy who is JFK , live in an old peoples home , and fight an undead mummy. It sounds terrible , but in reality is ace. It has great emotional resonance for a film of this type and when you hear the storyline you think that this is not possible but it is, at the end of this movie you will have made a connection with the characters. The music for the film excellent and it is very funny. This is a special film.

Thank you a lot for recommending this movie. I really enjoyed it.

jaden101
Disco Pigs
what is the colour of love?

a film get in Cork in the Irish republic where 2 friends, pig and runt were born on the same day in the same hospital and grew up next door to each other

pig (the male lead)becomes obsessively in love with runt (the female lead) but it is a case of unrequieted love...his obsession leads to increasingly erratic behaviour and tragic actions in which pig has no care for the consequences

the film has think irish dialogue and is hard to understand but the emotion in the film trancends the need for the dialogue

a wonderful film indeed

http://www.discopigs.com/ official site

Ou Be Low hoo
Anyone who hasn't seen 'The Boondock Saints' should go get a copy right now...It's sooooooo good. Why-oh-why was it never realised on the BIG screen?

BackFire
Irreversible, I stand alone, Happiness, Dog Soldiers, Sweet Hereafter.

Solo
Platoon, Dazed And Confused, Shattered Glass

el barto
one night at McCools....

mushdb3388
Donnie Darko.

Probably the best film I have seen in years, great work was put into it. A bit of a "cult classic" if you will, until it blew up and the distributors knew they could make money by bringing out the directors cut. I would highly reccomend it though...very dark, makes you think, and well...It includes a dillusional guy who sees a bunny who tells him when the world will end. What more you want?

Ou Be Low hoo
^ Uhh...

I'd like to recomend 'Infernal Affairs', I'm sure some of you cats have seen it, but if you haven't...do so now! The original is by far the best, the second is good too and the third isn't bad either. I hear that they are making a Holly**** remake of it too...

Ou Be Low hoo
I don't know if it's available in Oz, the US, the UK, etc...but, 'Double Vision' is excellent. It's a Taiwanese movie set in Taipei, involving a series of strange deaths...It's a little bit like a mix of the X-Files, Seven and a police drama...

Check out this review for more:

http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2003/doublevision.php

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Has anyone else seen 'Intacto'? If you haven't, you should do so now! It sparkles with originality and it's soon going to be remade by Hollywood. I think...

If you liked The Game, The Usual Suspects and Memento, then you'll like this too. It's in a similar vein - weird, suspenseful, intriguing...

general-pain
The Pink Panther series(the ones with Peter Sullers in them that is).

Hornyman
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Brilliant thread idea, by the way, but it's "Jake the MUSS". Or, mess, for us yanks. "Once Were Warriors" is a fantastic film, indeed.

As for my submission:"Wasabi"

This is probably Luc Besson's least known, aside from "The Messenger", but 2nd best movie ever behind "Leon: The Professional".

Starring Jean Reno, his character, the head strong "Hubert", takes some time off from his busy schedule of cracking skulls and heads down to Japan after 19 years, to settle the estate of his deceased former girlfriend. Upon his arrival, he meets back up with his former partner, Momo, and his "surprise" daughter, Yumi.

Hubert takes custody of Yumi, and comes to find that his lost love was murdered, and that $200 Million dollars was deposited into her bank account days before. Subsequently, Hubert takes note of the hoardes of Yakuza following he and Yumi's every move.

If nothing else, you've got to rent this movie to see Leon on a Dance Dance Revolution machine. It's uproarious. It's very witty, comical, has some solid action sequences, and is just a very all around fun film to take in. I own it, and you should too.
I watched that movie too. Very good one that one.

MildPossession
Yes, I enjoyed the film Intacto, interesting film.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by MildPossession
Yes, I enjoyed the film Intacto, interesting film.

Mild, you seem to have a wide knowledge of film - ie. not just the blockbusters - can you recommend anything?

DeVi| D0do
Being John Malkovich. If you haven't already seen it, see it now! One of my favourite films of all time.

evildeaddesigns
tHE JAPANESE MOVIE - "The Eye"
You guys gotta see this movie. I bet you will all love it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't know if I've suggested it already, but anyone interested in good films should check out the Hong Kong set 'Infernal Affairs' Trilogy - The first movie is excellent, the second is very good, the third is just good.

Martin and Leo are currently 're-imagining' it and setting it in Boston...

Anyone else got any obscure or cult-cult movies to recommend?

DO NOT RECOMMEND WELL-KNOWN MOVIES - that's boring...

bluegrass
Harold and Maude- This is my wife's favorite movie. Definitely different. It is about a boy in his late teens who is kind of strange(he likes to pretend he is committing suicide to get attention) and an old lady in her 80's. They meet at a funeral, which is something they both happen to go to for fun, even of people they don't know. They fall in love, but not in a gross way like you might think. the whole soundtrack is the music of Cat Steven's and is fantastic.

Maybe more of a chick flick, but definitely worth watching because it is so different. I understand why my wife loves it!

Has anyone seen this?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It's a definitive cult-classic. Got any others?

bluegrass
Baraka- this is one of my favorites. No actors or dialogue, just amazing film and scenery. Very powerful.

It starts with shots from deep in nature and slowly works its way closer and closer to modern civilization. Makes you realize a lot about humans and nature and how some civilizations are close w/nature and others are not. Very hard to explain the power of this movie in a review, but if anyone has an opportunity to check this out, and likes a very cerebral movie experience, watch this! It's quiter an eye opener

here is the description it gives

"Baraka, an ancient Sufi word with forms in many languages, translates as a breath or essence of life from which the evolutionary process unfolds.

Baraka is a poetic tour of the globe that depicts the harmony and rhythm between man and nature. Breathtaking, relaxing and spiritual, Baraka is sure to please"

Solo
Out Of The Past is one of my favorite film-noir movies ever. It's definately worth checking out.

Phat J
the old school zatiochi the blind swordsman movies are great for anyone who likes samurai flicks. When the new one came out i went crazy and looked for it forever, it deserved the awards it got.

i really liked the station agent too, its about a dwarf whos really detached from anything social and his only friend dies that looks out for him and leaves him this cabin. He moves into it and makes friends and shit. It sounds like a feel good movie by the way i just described it which it kinda is but i thought it was really good anyways.

RZA
Hmm....haven't posted here in a while...

I have another submission to add to the list...

'Love, Sex and Eating the Bones'

I really enjoyed this movie...it's a smart yet quirky urban romantic comedy starring Hill Harper. This guy is a very underrated actor and he does a great job in this film. It's about a guy who has a severe porn addiction, who one day manges to meet the love of his life, but in order to make his relationship work he has to shake off his addiction which is terribly interfering with his love making. Funny, whimsical urban romantic comedy, a bit in the tradition of 'The girl next door' although some will say it's more like 'Love Jones'.

Mando
I strongly suggest 'Rob Roy' to anyone who hasn't seen it.

bksdrums
I saw the movie Salvador last night and was blown away. I thought it was very interesting. It has Jim Belushi and James Woods. Very political movie and if you are into that sort of thing i highly recommend it.

DarkWizard
I reccomend:

Sideways
Crash
Glory Road

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I saw 'The Constant Gardner' last night. It's a really interesting movie, and the fact that much of the movie's fiction could be considered true is disturbing, but also rather unsurprising.

Good movie. Voldemort is excellent in it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh...and these documentaries are excellent:

Murderball
DiG!
The Corporation

If you haven't seen them yet, do so now!

MildPossession
The Constant Gardener, and The Corporation are fantastic! have yet to see the other two you mentioned.

Rapscallion
Spider by David Conenberg and starring Ralph Fiennes is an amazing film about insanity. You should really check it out. It also has a nice twist at the end.

Mišt
Ok, Friday night, nothing interesting happening....need a movie or two. Any suggestions?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Both 'DiG!' and 'Murderball' are excellent. They both have some larger-than-life characters and are thoroughly entertaining. They manage to be many different things: funny, insightful, inspiring and melancholy. I'm sure you'd like them.

Mišt
Hmm..never heard of them. How old are they?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I was responding to Mild, but anyway...

They both came out last year. They're documentaries. They're good. Watch them with your eyes.

BackFire
Murderball was great, really intriguing.

Haven't seen DiG, but will check it out.

MildPossession
DiG is on my rental list so just waiting for it, and Murderball is on my films to see list to add onto rentals. Have added it just now actually, coming out at the end of february here in the UK.

RZA
5 more submissions to add

Bullet- This film stars Mickey Rourke, Adrien Brody, Ted Levine and the late Tupac Shakur. For those who aren't familiar with Ted Levine he's Buffalo Bill from silence of the lambs. Hearing this guy talk always cracks me up. big grin Anyway, this film is centered around a prison junkie named Bullet (Mickey Rourke) who comes from a dysfunctional Jewish family growing up in the mean streets of Brooklyn. Rourke also co-wrote on this one.

City of Industry- This film stars Harvey Keitel, Stephen 'f..ing' Dorff and Famke Janssen. Harvey Keitel plays his typical badass take no prisoners type role in this film centered around revenge and lost honor among thieves.

A Brother's Kiss- This is a story of two brothers Lex and Mick. The story follows the two brothers growing up in Harlem. One grows up to be a policeman and the other ends up being a junkie. A really touching and tragic urban gritty drama.

Once in the Life- This film is mostly about the relationship between two ex prison cell mates who meet up again later in life played by Laurence Fishburne (20/20 Mike) and Eamonn Walker (Tony). The movie is filled with other memorable characters as well such as 'Freddie nine lives' and Gregory Hines playing a bad guy, haven't seen him do much of that. This film was also written and directed by Fishburne. Especially recommended for those who are into poetry.

King of New York- This was more of a mainstream movie, not necessarily low budget or anything, just thought I'd mention it in case someone hasn't seen it. Also, I haven't heard much talk about it on these boards. This film centers around Frank White played by Cristopher Walken a former drug lord who returns from prison determined to wipe out all his competition and distribute the profits of his operations to the poor people of New York. If you want to see a film where Walken plays the ultimate badass then this can't be missed. Fishburne is also in this one.

Interesting note for all you hip hop fans: this is where 'Biggie' got the idea for his alter-ego 'Frank White'.

Darkman87
Originally posted by MildPossession
The Constant Gardener, and The Corporation are fantastic! have yet to see the other two you mentioned.

I agree. They are quite good movies

RZA
6 more submissions:

Six ways to Sunday - This was a pretty bizarre fast paced scened movie, somewhat of a thrill ride. Norman Reedus does a good job acting out his character in this one and his mother is played by none other than 'Blondie' herself. The mother and son incest scene was quite surprising and unexpected and might be disturbing to some.

Best laid plans - Reese witherspoon and Alessandro Nivola do a good job in this dramatic thriller which keeps you on edge all throughout. Some may be disappointed by the ending though, may feel let down or gypped.

Denial or something about sex - This quirky and funny romantic comedy is all about a guy who does everything in his power to not cheat on his wife no matter how strong the temptation played by jonathan silverman who does a good job portraying his character Joel.

Dream lover - This movie stars James Spader who plays a guy that falls in love with the wrong woman. And when I say wrong I mean wrong. Single guys searching for Ms. Right might find this movie especially scary.

Your friends and neighbors - Another one of those very dark comedy dramas about dysfunctional people and their stories mostly centered around adultery. Much in the tradition of 'Happiness'. This one stars Ben Stiller and Jason Patrick among others.

Finding forester - Not sure how well known this one is or how many people have already seen it but if you haven't you should definitely check it out. Much in the tradition of a 'Good Will Hunting' this one centers around another child prodigy, this time a gifted writer played by Rob Brown who delivers an excellent breakout performance along side the constant professional Sir Sean Connery himself. Matt Damon also makes a brief cameo in this one.

EPIIIBITES
Maybe too mainstream culty and too well known for this thread, but so worth watching they need mention...

Duel - Spielberger's first about a menacing truck driver. Not a lotta dialougue...a whole lotta suspense.

Ghost World - Solid coming of age flick...and so much more.

EPIIIBITES
Oh, one more...and this is so cult, that even cult fans haven't understood why.

Howard the Duck! - I HAVE A THEORY! This movie (and the abismal one-liners in it) were purposely made as BAD as they could POSSIBLY be. The writers and director MUST have been taking the piss (especially in the ridiculous last 1/2 hour), cause there is no reasonable explanation otherwise for how CRAP it is...you'll see.

In the right frame of mind, you'll get more than a chuckle from this gargantuan flop of a big-budget film.

MARK MY WORDS! IT WILL BE A CLASSIC!

RZA
A couple more submissions,

The Real Blonde - This one stars a host of different recognizable personalities led by Mathew Modine. Nice smart entertaining comedy with lots of cameos.

Out at Work - An HBO documentary about the discrimination of gays in the workplace. Of particular interest was the Mark Anderson piece who was hazed by Cantor Fitzgerald. You wont beleive what this poor guy went through.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I don't know if I've already mentioned it, but I feel I should do so again...

'DiG!' is a great documentary about a band going insane. Try it and I'm sure you'll dig it, ya dig?

RZA
Thanks for the recommendation Ou Be Low hoo, I'll definitely add it to my list.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ou Be Who Who? Whaddyatalkinabout?

Another great movie is 'The Tao Of Steve' - it's like 'The Big Lebowski', but without anything resembling a plot.

RZA
4 more submissions...

The Door in the Floor - This movie stars Jeff Bridges not his brother Beau as I originally thought and Kim Basinger. The movie centers around a family which is having to deal with many issues, primarily infidelity. Mostly a drama but filled with many quirky and comical moments.

Little Boy Blue - This is a pretty twisted but very good little movie filled with many little plot twists and revelations. The scene between Ryan Phillippe and Natasha Kinski alone merits a look.

Spanking the monkey - Another good Jeremy Davies film. I tell ya this guy is such an underrated actor. Another pretty twisted little film which explores the incestuous oedipal relationship between mother and son told through a somewhat comedic angle but still a bit dark in some places.

Oxygen - Just remembered this one. It helped that it was on cable tonight wink . This one has a bit of an intriguing story. It stars Adrien Brody in one of his very earlier small time films before he made it to the big time. Pretty solid acting by Brody on this one where he plays a combination of sadistic psychotic killer and successful escape artist. Only a marginal recommendation though as the acting by the rest of the cast was not the best and the plot line is a bit thin and a tad bit predictable.

More, as soon as I'm able to remember them....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Dose ar sum goody choicees. I'm-a gonna sayo 'Jesus' Son' featuring Billy Crudrup and Jack Black. It's not a movie for everyone, but I found it hilarious and weird. Jack Black wacked-out is always good to watchy.

Tired Hiker
David Lynch's 'Wild At Heart'. I can't even find this movie at the store anymore, and when I used to find it, it was in the cult classic section. I don't know many people who have seen this movie, and I think it is Lynch's best work.

RZA
Wow! Been a while. Had to dig up and dust off this thread.

My last recommendations...

Clay Pigeons - This is a pretty quirky comedy-drama that stars Joaquin Phoenix and Vince Vaughn, Janeane Garofalo is also in this one. It's mostly lighthearted but a bit dark in places. The film mostly centers around Vaughn's character in which he plays the role of a serial killer.

Freak talks about sex or Blowin smoke - This is another one of those titles that can be found under 2 names. This one has all the makings of being a true cult classic. Much in the tradition of a 'Clerks' this is another one of those Buddy movies that you just have to watch wiith some friends. It stars Steve Zahn and Josh Hamilton playing 2 college buddies who are a couple of years removed from school. The film mostly centers around Hamilton's character who's really trying to find himself and making something out of his life. The film's central theme is a journey of self discovery but in a very quirky and unfocused way.

Maria Full of Grace - This was a pretty nice little film about a young teenage Columbian girl who becomes pregnant and later has to make some tough choices in her life, including working as a drug mule for some seedy drug pushers. Catalina Moreno does a great job in her role of Maria.

Small Time - This one was a very weird yet entertaining little film about a small time gangster who's trying to do everything in his power to successfully score his biggest gig yet. Glenn Plummer does a great job in this flick.

Flesh Suitcase - This is another film that revolved around human drug smuggling. Another pretty good film and the first one I recall seeing that gave a glimpse into the world of human mules. A lot of memorable off the wall characters in this one.

Welcome to Collinwood - This one stars a host of recognizable names acting out some very nice and memorable roles. The film mostly centers around rag tag bunch of thieves who are trying to work together in order to score a big heist.

Thursday - This fast paced action-thriller takes you on a trippy ride from beginning to end. Some recognizable names in this one along with others that aren't so well recognised. Some may view it as Tarantino style influenced or even copied but I believe it stands nicely on its own. The scene where Paulina Porizkova ties a guy to a chair and literally rapes him alone merits a curious look. First scene in a film that I can recall where a man gets raped by woman.

Trick - This was a very small time film that dealt with among other things homosexual promiscuity in the big city. Not your typical romance-comedy but in the end it's like any other relationship piece. If you've ever had a desire to see Tori Spelling actually act then this one is a must. I'm not a big fan of hers so this one only gets a marginal recommendation from me.

Relax... It's Just Sex - This is yet another quirky dark comedy that deals mostly with same sex issues and important social issues such as HIV and Aids. It centers around a group of friends who hail from different walks of life and have different sexual orientations. The very 1st scene of this film immediately grabs your attention and may be difficult to watch for some viewers.

Btw, does anyone actually read this thread?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by RZA
Welcome to Collinwood - This one stars a host of recognizable names acting out some very nice and memorable roles. The film mostly centers around rag tag bunch of thieves who are trying to work together in order to score a big heist.

Yeah, I agree. That's a nice, quirky little movie. It's almost Coen Brothers-light.

Originally posted by RZA
Btw, does anyone actually read this thread?

No. No-one at all.

RZA
Hmm...that is quite disappointing and disconcerting.

No wait is it disappointing or disconcerting or both.

Which one is it?

I can't seem to make up my mind which one would be more appropriate in this case? Hmm.....

Oh well maybe someone will come along someday who has an interest in Indie films and find a nugget of gold with this thread. So, until then...

I'm goin home....now watch me disappear in mid air blowup Wallah...lata homiez

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ooo, what's this thread all about? Indie movies? Cult movies? Slightly obscure movies? Hehehehehe...

I saw 'Junebug' the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's about small-town American life, which could sound a little dull, but it's pretty well played out. It's not a movie to fit every mood, or every taste, but it's worth a try.

Also, I thought 'Brick' was pretty good, but I suppose that one is a little more well known...

BackFire
Saw the film 'Aftermath' - it lived up to it's reputation, immensely disturbing and sick, but also extremely well made with a point and a message.

Also saw the short "Cutting Moments' which just blew me away, this is so good, really impressive film which holds up a magnifying glass to our lifestyles and shows how horrible it can become. Deeply disturbing and a picture perfect use of violence and gore, which is used to enhance the already unsettling story and bring it into the realm of horrifying. A horror film with a heart, with a point, and that is incredibly haunting, all done with a running time of just 23 minutes.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The more twisted, the better...Right, Backfire?

You sicko.

BackFire
You love it you filthy man, you.

Solo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I saw 'Junebug' the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's about small-town American life, which could sound a little dull, but it's pretty well played out. It's not a movie to fit every mood, or every taste, but it's worth a try.
I thought it was very good.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do you have any recommendations, Solo?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Do you have any recommendations, Solo?

Here lies irony...

BackFire
Saw Lady Vengeance yesterday, was very good. If you've seen Park's Oldboy and Mr. Vengeance, this is a must. Thought provoking and powerful.

Also saw The Experiment, a german film. Was hugely impressed with it, thought it was outstanding.

Both films should be seen by anyone who considers themselves a fan of film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.