Masters of Horror!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

papabeard

Cinemaddiction
Sounds interesting, especially with wash-outs like Landis and Carpenter. Curious to see if they still have any clue what Horror is all about.

Why the hell Eli Roth was ever considered is beyond me. He wouldn't be worthy of even looking 1/2 those guys in the eye, especially having ripped them all off at some point.

WindDancer
I'm glad to see Larry Cohen in that list. Despite the fact his films can be bizzare or very low budget he makes quite entertaining horror films. Most of his work would be categorize as cult, but I'm glad he is being recognize as a horror director.

Wolfie
Sounds interesting. I'll have to check this out when they're done.

BackFire
Agreed.

slayer
Good point about Eli Roth CA smile

Thx for the Info PapaBeard smile

papabeard
Some more info here :

www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/3837

papabeard
and here :

www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=masters+of+horror&meta=

papabeard

papabeard

papabeard

BackFire
Saw a pannel for this series at teh Comic Con in San Diego, looks awesome.

John Landis, Stuart Gording, Don Castelenati(direct of Phantasm, forgive the spelling) and some other guy was there talking about it and they showed a clip. Can't wait.

papabeard
Don Coscarelli wink

papabeard
MASTERS OF HORROR

07.18.2005 -

It looks like the folks at Horror.com got the hook up when it comes to Masters of Horrors.

From video interviews to a set visit on a episode titled Chocolate with director Mick Garris and star Henry Thomas . This series has some of the biggest names in horror from John Carpenter(The Thing,),Tobe Hooper (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), George Romero(Creepshow) and even Roger Corman (The Pit & the Pendulm) to name a few .

There are rumors we may get to see episodes from David Cronenberg (Videodrome)and Asian madman Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer). The series will start on the Showtime cable network this fall and is set for special editon DVD treatment after that .

http://www.horror.com/php/article-872-1.html

http://horror.about.com/od/mastersofhorror/

http://tv-wire.com/events.html

BackFire
Takashi Miike isn't a rumor, he's confirmed and is actually shooting his episode right now in japan.

Cinemaddiction
Stu Gordon wink

John Landis has absolutely no right to be a part of the production.

BackFire
Sure he does, he's responsible for one of the quintessential werewolf films.

Cinemaddiction
Does one movie make him a "master", though? Besides, it wasn't even a full-flegded Horror. I thought it was horribly dated, unfunny, and I don't need to see it again because I remember how flat it was. Nice make-up and werewolf transformation, but I think it's a little overrated, and Landis made 1,000's of bombs after this...mostly in his failed brand of comedy.

"Amazon Women on the Moon", anyone? roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
Well, there are other people slated to direct who have done even less important works in horror. It seems they're just grabbing anyone who has made a noteworthy horror film at some point and having them make an episode.

Alot of directors have bombs, especially when they've made as many movies as Landis has, to his credit, he's made numerous successful films as well, such as Kentucky Fried Movie, Animal House, Blues Brothers, Coming to America, and of course, American Werewolf...

Amazon Women on the Moon is a guilty pleasure for me, personally, thought it was damn funny.

But yeah, they seem pretty leniante when it comes to who they consider "masters" of horror. I guess anyone who had any impact on the genre is enough to be considered a master to them.

Darth-x-Padme
I think my great great great uncle Boris Karloff (aka Frankinstein and also The mummy) is the greatest horror actors of all time

Cinemaddiction
I don't think Eli Roth belongs, either.

BackFire
I agree.

Impediment
I noticed that Wes Craven's name was not on the list. If you ask me, he is a little too overrated in his later years. I love and own his timeless classics like Last House on the Left, The Hills have Eyes, Nightmare on Elm Street 1, etc, etc, but I wonder if he still has any of his creative genius left for the 21st century. After watching inane dribble like Scream (sorry, but I hated it), Dracula 2000, and Cursed, I'm getting pessimistic. Does anyone agree?

papabeard

papabeard

papabeard

papabeard
Masters of Horror / Official Site :

www.mastersofhorror.net/

Showtime Trailer available on site.

papabeard

papabeard

papabeard

papabeard
Some DVD info and...

Behind the scenes footage of "Chocolate"

www.horror.com/php/article-872-1.html

Only 17 days until the first episode.

papabeard

papabeard
Full Cast and Crew for
"Masters of Horror"

www.imdb.com/title/tt0448190/fullcredits#writers

b-dan
i red about masters of horror in Fangoria sounds pritty sweet

Solo
Bump.

papabeard
Well, did anyone see it ?

papabeard
You Want to See Masters of Horror?

Well, if we are to believe Dread Central this weekend everyone with Cable will be getting a free sneak preview of Showtime. I would definetly check with your local cable provider and see what channel and times this preview will be available.

If this is true this weekend will be Stuart Gordons tale "Dreams in the Witch House". The story follows Walter Gilman (Ezra Godden), a college student studying interdimensional string theory, rents a garret in a run-down building in the old New England town of Arkham. Haunted by terrifying nightmares that involve a witch, a supernatural rodent and perhaps Satan himself, Walter starts to lose his grip on reality. He begins to believe his string theory studies have uncovered a portal into a parallel universe rife with diabolical forces gathering to sacrifice his neighbor's infant. As Walter struggles to prevent this atrocity, it becomes less clear if he will save the child or become its unwitting murderer himself.

papabeard
Takashi Miike's IMPRINT

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5012

papabeard

papabeard
Over at the official John Carpenter website, you can now take a deeper looking into his upcoming Masters of Horror installment, titled "CIGARETTE BURNS."

The short storie is about: Jimmy Sweetman knows how to find rare film prints. However, nothing could prepare him for the daunting search for "Le Fin du Monde," a film allegedly shown only once and rumored to have driven its audience into a murderous frenzy before the theater mysteriously erupted in flames.

Working for a shadowy patron, Jimmy's increasingly obsessive investigation becomes nightmarish and deadly. Finally he discovers "Le Fin du Monde"'s infamy is well deserved.

This supernatural "Chinatown" is a chilling look at the power of cinema and the lengths to which we will go to satiate our private demons.

www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/

warrior woman
Originally posted by Impediment
I noticed that Wes Craven's name was not on the list. If you ask me, he is a little too overrated in his later years. I love and own his timeless classics like Last House on the Left, The Hills have Eyes, Nightmare on Elm Street 1, etc, etc, but I wonder if he still has any of his creative genius left for the 21st century. After watching inane dribble like Scream (sorry, but I hated it), Dracula 2000, and Cursed, I'm getting pessimistic. Does anyone agree? sick I agree with you completely. What happened to George Romero? Why not Rob Zombie? cool

deathbycorn
Anyone know if this will be played on Showtime in Australia in the future?

And the rest of the world?

Thanks

LizzyT123
Wes Craven isn't the best director, I think Rob Z is awesome. Everyone who I knew didn't like House of 1000 Corpses, and I was like, what the? I was so happy to see his movie cause I'm a big time fan of White Zombie, and Rob Zombie. Also Romero is awesome. He's had his exceptions like Creepshow, which only had a couple good stories, but otherwise, I think he's the best.

deathbycorn
Rob Zombie has had 2 movies, hardly a master of horror.

LizzyT123
Well, maybe not of horror movies, but of shock rock, so there! And they were good movies. Nerd!stick out tongue

deathbycorn
Nerd?

People who listen to his music are called nerds in my books.

Shock Rock? I doubt it.

LizzyT123
well, you're judging me by what I listen to, so just shut up. I'm not gonna make fun of what you listen to, so just lay off. Jesus Christ

Impediment
Well, I can almost certainly expect this series to be released onto DVD and I'll definitley be buying it. I havent had a chance to watch them all as I would like to because of my job and my daughter, so I've only seen the Don Coscarelli episode about the woman in the woods with the "Moonface" killer who drills the holes in his victims' eye sockets with a big ass drill press. Not bad, IMO.

LizzyT123
What are you talking about?

deathbycorn
Um could it be Masters of Horror, the thread you are in?

jayy
Originally posted by deathbycorn
Nerd?

People who listen to his music are called nerds in my books.

Shock Rock? I doubt it.

I agree. Revenge Of The Nerds Part IV: Death Metal Nerds!! House Of 1000 Corpses was ok, but his music is WACK!!

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/9684/turntable013yt.gif ALL-PRETTY-GIRLS-LOVE-DJ'S!!http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/9684/turntable013yt.gif

laughing laughing stick out tongue laughing laughing

LizzyT123
whatever, you are entitled to your own opinoin smile

but I still like Rob Z

jayy
Stephen King. His last name says it all.

&

Wes Craven

John Carpenter

Clive Barker

wink

LizzyT123
Hmmm, they've all had their moments of glory....and they've all had the crappy moments of blamms

papabeard
There should be a preview of the next episode if you clivk here :

www.sho.com/site/mastersofhorror/home.do

BackFire
The only episode I've really enjoyed so far was Jennifer. All the others have been pretty disapointing, I think.

papabeard
Really? How So?

Im in the UK, so I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

thomasgeorge
wes craven clive baker or stephen king masters of horror my ass

papabeard
Im geting the 1st 6 episodes tomorrow, but reviews on this have been mixed.

smile1098
Approval

deathbycorn
Saw the first episode today! Very cool!

Can't wait till a DVD release!

LizzyT123
Originally posted by smile1098
Approval

I don't really understand the approval thing, what exactly do you mean?

Geeky
While I appreciate that everybody has a right to their opinion...with that in mind, here is mine.

I find it interesting that Stephen King or Clive Barker is not involved especially, since they have directed movies based on their work a couple of times and not just handed the reigns over to another director. I find it really interesting that King is not involved because Garris has worked with him on a couple occasions. Barker on the other hand, has been leaving the horror genre behind.

One last thing, Jennifer the best one so far? Have you been watching all the episodes?

egypty
sorry to disturb but is killermovies only for preview movies and dosent include any downloads ?

BackFire
It seems that Miikes episode has been caneled/delayed. Rumors are floating that it was canceled because of copyright issues. Really upsetting, it was the episode, along with Lucky Mckee's, which I'm about to start watching right now, that I was looking forward to the most. I hope it gets released, sounded really promising, being scripted by the guy who wrote Audition. Bah

Wolfie
Saw the first episode today! Very cool!

Can't wait till a DVD release!
You might be disappointed by the DVDs to come out. They'll be releasing each episode individually like their own movie, not as a TV show box set.

deathbycorn
That is good in a way 'cause some of the episodes don't really interest me.

Who watched the hitchhiker episode yesterday; 'Pick Me Up' ?

I am trying to find a torrent for it now!

papabeard
www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=2964

Showtime announces 2nd series of Masters of Horror big grin

Wolfie
That is good in a way 'cause some of the episodes don't really interest me.
But it's like $20 an episode rather than $40 for a complete season.

MildPossession
Yes Miike's has been cancelled, not showing except on the dvd release.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
Yes Miike's has been cancelled, not showing except on the dvd release.

Yep, greatly upset I am. Really really disapointed with Showtime's false advertisement of this series and will probably be canceling my subscription. Considering only 2 episodes have been particularly good, many mediocre, and the rest pure shit. Imprint was the only one I was really really looking forward too, and now I have to buy the damn DVD that's not coming out for several months. Showtime really dropped the ball with this series.

Cinemaddiction
Well, now that the DVDs are popping up, anyone biting? The rental editions have two films per disc. The first was Stu Gordon/John Carpenter.

Gordon, doing an H.P. Lovecraft story, was pretty good, although typical. Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" though..I loooooooooved it. Luckily, they're releasing the movies individually for a mere $9.64 at Wal Mart and they're LOADED. Director commentary, writer's commentary, two featurettes (15 & 18 min) an interview with Norman Reedus (Kirby) behind the scenes footage, and trailers for 8 other episodes, including Joe Dante's "Homecoming" which I'm looking forward to, as a fan of "Piranha".

"Cigarette Burns" is a renter if you guys haven't seen it, if not for Udo Kier feeding his intestines through a film projector at the end!

BackFire
Nope, the only one I'll be buying is Imprint, just because I want to see it.

I liked Cigarette Burns and Jeniffer a lot, but I doubt I'll buy them, you never know though.

Homecoming was alright, really really silly. Keep in mind its a vehicle for his obvious political agenda against Bush and the war in Iraq.

papabeard
I saw the DVD for Cig Burns in a shop yesterday, but it seems like a bit of a rip off. Lots of good extras though.

Mider
i heard they will ALL come in one big box set eventually i hope so.

papabeard

Mider
when i first saw the commercials for cigarette burns and also dreams in a witch house i thought i was seeing like long lost classics or a new movie of those directors id never seen they looked fantastic though i hope i get them smile

deathbycorn
Watched the last episode 'Imprint' today.

My god that was awesome, but damn gross and I wanted to turn away when they were sticking the needles into the girls fingers, it looked real.

deathbycorn
Tonight in Australia the first season starts but for some reason Cigarette Burns and Chocolate are the first two episodes showing, which is pretty weird since they were not the first and second episode.

I have seen all of them except two, I liked 'Imprint' the best so far.

papabeard
I think Cigarette Burns and Witchhouse were the first DVD's released in the UK.

thegreatrudini
Originally posted by Darth-x-Padme
I think my great great great uncle Boris Karloff (aka Frankinstein and also The mummy) is the greatest horror actors of all time

Being family u know that aint his real name dont u?

deathbycorn
Season 2

2-1) 1 Oct 06 - Family
2-2) 8 Oct 06 - Pelts
2-3) 15 Oct 06 - Damned Thing
2-4) 22 Oct 06 - Pro-Life
2-5) 29 Oct 06 - The V Word
2-6) 5 Nov 06 - Unknown Title
2-7) 12 Nov 06 - The Black Cat
2-8) 19 Nov 06 - Anti-Clause
2-9) 26 Nov 06 - The Fat Man
2-10) 3 Dec 06 - Valerie on the Stars
2-11) 10 Dec 06 - I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream

deathbycorn
New directors have been named to the Masters of Horror line-up for season two. They include Brad Anderson (The Machinist, Session 9), Earnest Dickerson (Bones, Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight), and Tom Holland (Fright Night, Child's Play).

deathbycorn
Season 2

2-1) 1 Oct 06 - Family
2-2) 8 Oct 06 - Pelts
2-3) 15 Oct 06 - Damned Thing
2-4) 22 Oct 06 - Pro-Life
2-5) 29 Oct 06 - The V Word
2-6) 5 Nov 06 - Unknown Title
2-7) 12 Nov 06 - The Black Cat
2-8) 19 Nov 06 - Anti-Clause
2-9) 26 Nov 06 - The Fat Man
2-10) 3 Dec 06 - Valerie on the Stars
2-11) 10 Dec 06 - I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream

2- 1) 1 Oct 06 - Family
2- 2) 8 Oct 06 - Pelts
2- 3) 15 Oct 06 - Damned Thing
2- 4) 22 Oct 06 - Pro-Life
2- 5) 29 Oct 06 - The V Word
2- 6) 5 Nov 06 - The Screwfly Solution
2- 7) 12 Nov 06 - The Black Cat
2- 8) 19 Nov 06 - Anti-Clause
2- 9) 26 Nov 06 - The Fat Man
2-10) 3 Dec 06 - Valerie on the Stairs
2-11) 10 Dec 06 - We Scream For Ice Cream
2-12) 10 Dec 06 - Sounds Like

papabeard
I think the Masters of Horror series is being shown on UK satellite channel BRAVO on saturday nights at 10pm then again at 1.15am.

deathbycorn
I wish we had Bravo in Australia, then I would of been able to watch Project Greenlight 3: Feast.

Anyway, Rob Schmidt of WRONG TURN is doing an episode for MOH2, now that is cool news!

Caponejr
i dont know jack shit about this masters of horror ..bbbuuuttt...GO FREDDY!!!!

deathbycorn
Originally posted by Caponejr
i dont know jack shit about this masters of horror ..bbbuuuttt...GO FREDDY!!!! It's a TV series with 13 original one hour horror movies. It was on Showtime on Foxtel in Australia. The first season already aired and the second season has began shooting. You can also buy the dvds, just read back over this topic! Cigarette Burns and Imprint were the best imo.

deathbycorn
The Damned Thing by Tobe Hooper was awesome!!

deathbycorn
Family by John Landis was pretty lame.

The V Word by Ernest Dickerson was shocking.

Sounds Like by Brad Anderson was brilliant like all his work his.

BackFire
I finally got around to seeing Imprint.

Man, I loved it. By far the best MOH episode, even beating out Cigarette Burns.

It was daring, unique, unsettling and extremely graphic and disturbing. Also incredibly intriguing, even if you don't really "get" much of it. It's still a spectacle.

The only downside was the acting, which was just terrible. But who cares, no one watches horror films for the acting.

deathbycorn
I liked Cigerette Burns better than Imprint smile
Both the best entries for the first season!

BackFire
no doubt, man, Cigerette Burns is great. But I had to give it to Imprint for being so damn brutal and unique.

Mider999
from what ive read on TV.com there are exactly 3 seasons of masters of horror in all maybe more this is just a starting point of course maybe it will go to seven seasons or five who knows maybe nine

deathbycorn
There will be a MOH season 3. Garris is trying to get Zombie, Del Toro, Barker & King to direct episodes.

deathbycorn
1. The Damned Thing by Tobe Hooper was awesome.
2. Family by John Landis was pretty lame.
3. The V Word by Ernest Dickerson was shocking.
4. Sounds Like by Brad Anderson was brilliant as is all of his work.
5. Pro-Life by John Carpenter was an absolute waste of an hour of my life.
6. Pelts by Dario Argento was bloody cool, really gory!

I reckon the first half of season one was better than the first half of season two.

BackFire
Sounds like was outstanding, one of the very best episodes in the series thus far, I was blown away by it.

Zilverz
im going to have to come back to this thread when im ready to buy some new dvds ... i havent seen any of the MOH films

vintageSW77
me neither

Mider999
there not that expensive especially if you buy them used just make sure its from someone you can rely on.

deathbycorn
... or download them.

Wolfie
I saw Tobe Hooper's Dance of the Dead the other day. I wasn't impressed. I'm gonna check out the ones you all have suggested though.

information
In horror the acting goes to the viewers. We all know is horror, simply because in all the genres we sit/watch/listen while in here is our duty to express it.

Mider999
hopefully this show is better then most of the garbage we're seeing comming out in the movies, usually remakes and unscary themes, i think that the directors might be good at what they do but the studio's themselves know nothing about what the audience wants, just look at what they did to exorcist the beginning.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.