Do phobias make good horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azrael01
I was just watching aracnaphobia for the 20th time. I was thinking why do I like this movie. I think because it is a situation that is plausable theat you are afraid of. With all the horror movies out there though that aplly to phobias such as don't look down, the afore mentioned aracnaphobia, bats, anaconda, and so on why do you think people want to see there fears acted out and what is your favorite phobia movie and why? evil face

eggmayo
I have a phobia of cannibalistic hillbillies with chainsaws..

Azrael01
lol laughing
I think you have an obsession with TCM

eggmayo
its only the greatest horror movie ever.

Wolfie
Agreed.

I dunno about phobia movies. Though I can't think of any I've seen, I could only imagine them being dragged on too long. A good horror could have a five minute scene with a fear of heights but a whole movie??

Azrael01
Just thought I would list some phobia movies or what I consider then to be.
It (fear of clowns)
Dolls (fear of inatimate life)
Event Horizon (fear of the unknown)
poltergiest (fear of ghosts)
Aracnaphobia (fear of spiders)
Don't look down (fear of heights)
anaconda (fear of snakes)
Bats (fear of bats)
Evil dead (fear of magick)
open water (fear of getting left behind)
deep blue ocean (fear of sharks)
TCM (fear of rednecks)
thats all I can think of now due to the fact I am drunk but I will add more later and add some if you think of it. beer

eggmayo
Evil Dead and TCM and Event Horizon I wouldnt class as phobia movies, they are great though... It is a good phobia movie even though im not scared of Pennywise

papabeard
If you have a phobia of something eg spiders then these films can be effective but if not then they are ineffectual, I suppose it is subjective. Most movies like this are poor and low budget, the only one i ve seen of any merit is Arachnaphobia, which freaked me out because spiders freak me out.

tabby999
wouldn't, by definition, all horror movies be based on a phobia, as everyone is scared of something. that'd make all situations a phobia one...does it?

Cinemaddiction
Damn good point, cuz Az is waaaa-hey-hey-hey off.

Jennifer_Tilly
How about A Nightmare On Elm Street fear of Falling asleep.

tabby999
yeah, true, but i dont think this is "name a movie and its relevant phobia" its asking is do phobias make good horror movies.

Azrael01
I kinda lost track of the point of this thread it happens any way I wondered if phobias make a scary movie or if most are just a waste of time. Example does the Idea of what you are afraid of happening make a scary movie.

Azrael01
I agree with tabby though all horror movies are based on phobias though because everyone can be scared by something. I just meant the specific movies that apply to peoples fear ignore most of my drunken thread.

Wolfie
Aren't phobias defined as irrational fears? Some spiders are poisonous but arachniphobia would be like, afraid of all spiders.

Fear of ghosts, I'd be pretty damn scared if I saw one in real life.
Fear of sharks, if one is staring right at you just inches away, you'd piss yourself.

But does that mean you have a phobia?

Azrael01
i don't care anymore do what you want I give up on this thread I can't express myself correctly. wacko

Konjammenson
Exactly, the only way to truly call a movie a "phobia" movie would be if that movie specifically targets a common-known phobia. Can anyone name one? Aracnaphobia is obvious, but I'm not sure if "it" specifically targets a fear of clowns. Because it is based on a book, I am supposing that the reader is supposed to ressonate with the characters, who are children, who in turn are having their innocense exposed; not a fear of clowns in particular. Pennywise turned into anything that the particular person was afraid of, not relying on his clown suit alone.

tabby999
by strict definition a phobia is "an irrational fear of something that causes the person effected to not be able to function normally" e.g Arachnaphobia. there is a difference between hating spiders like i do (ungodly ****ing things they are) and being arachnaphobic. if i was arachnaphobic (ignore me butchering the words spelling) i wouldn't wear shoes that have been outside because i would be convinced that there would be spiders that had crawled in there etc

Striel
I like phobia movies. Fear of the dark is one they play up on a lot.

tabby999
yeah because people fear what they cant see/dont know. thats why so many horror movies have such a low level of light when they try to be scarey. i got to do a essay on this for my media class

nancy_englund
so you find maury povich scary...
...nuff said.

rainbow123
Depending on the phobia, it can be a good horror film. It has to draw people's attention.

Azrael01
would people stop posting in this thread and let it die Please it lost its point before it started.

ladygrim
And how many arethese are goof movies no expression laughing out loud

ladygrim
i meant GOOD movies

Konjammenson
this thread has not gone off topic........and you smell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.