Zelda Timeline

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
I thought it was time to cause some more pointless bickering and division on the boards so i thought i'd post my zelda timeline on here and hope that people will discuss this in a civilized manner. My order follows Shigeru Miyamato's (creator's) basic order in that Ocerina goes first and Link to the Past is last (sorta). anyways:

Zelda GCN (all rumors indicate that this is a prequal to Ocerina)
Ocerina of Time
Majora's Mask
Link's Awakening
The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Minish Cap
Four Swords
Four Sword Adventures
A Link to the Past

oh, and for the purpose of this (and this makes sense if you think about it), the Magical sword from the first game is the Piccori Blade

ArthasKnight
Where is Wind Waker?

Londonboy7
Wind Waker is last cuase its not even tecnecaklly "link" its his desendent (maybe). I also think that some things are just there and its off to the side with little or no relation to the Ocorina line

Darth Jello
windwaker has to be after the ocerina games, people still have recollections of the hero of time in that game and ganon still thinks of himself as ganondorf. plus, if a large portion of Hyrule was flooded, it would explain why it is in ruin in the original legend of zelda (meaning that it had to have been drained sometime in between and that the northern part of Hyrule from Zelda II was the "new" Hyrule that Link found in the wind waker).

Linkalicious
I don't think there is any sort of time line.

Maybe Legend of Zelda and The Adventure of Link might have some time relation, but as more and more games came out...it became more about the present story than ever putting much consideration into chronological order.

SaTsuJiN
how can there be a chronological timeline when link just keeps being reincarnated?

Darth Jello
different Link's different Zelda's same Ganon

General Kaliero
You timeline is much flawed. Look at this logically.

There are several different Links. The divisions (based on cutscenes and manual and boxart) are as follows:

Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link

A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, (possibly) Zelda 2K5

Wind Waker

The Phillips CD-i Zelda games have been disowned by Nintendo and are irrelevant to the rest of the games' timeline.

The Four Swords and Minish Cap games are a separate storyline, spanning several thousand years, and are irrelevant to the rest of the games' timeline.

That makes for five Links in the basic timeline.

The most logical timeline goes like this:

OoT
MM
(2K5?)
WW
ALttP
LA
Ages/Seasons
LoZ
AoL

now, for that part with the new game in the third spot? Read on...

PROBLEM #1:

Miyamoto himself has declared OoT to be the first game in the series. This makes sense, as Ganon is still Ganondorf, and he has yet to find the Triforce of Power. MM naturally follows immediately thereafter, as Link leaves Hyrule in search of Navi, in possession of the Ocarina. The manual for MM states that Link leaves "several months after rescuing Princess Zelda".

Now, WW has been declared the third in line, because Eiji Aonuma stated that it "takes place 100 years after the ending in which Link was an adult." The intro supports this, clearly telling the legend of the Hero of Time, A.K.A. OoT. The Hero leaves Hyrule, and afterwards ("several generations" according to the intro) Ganon breaks free of the seal, and turns the land to darkness. The gods decide to flood the world to stop him, and a select few Hyrulians retreat to the highest mountaintops as the land is consumed by sea. Kinda difficult for all that to happen within only 100 years, no? However, the game itself (in the King's telling of the Great Flood) states that "hundreds of years have passed since then ."

PROBLEM #2:

Before WW, A Link to the Past was declared number three. The intro to ALttP mirrors closely the intro to WW, telling of an ancient seal placed on the Golden Land. Once again, it seems to tell of the events of OoT, as seven wise men (Sages) are needed to seal the evil (Ganon) in the Sacred Realm.

However, basic logic shows this cannot be so. In ALttP, a King orders seven Sages to seal the Realm. In OoT, there is no King to speak of, and only one Sage is actually present. Further the Maidens you must save in ALttP, the "descendants of the Sages" are all human/Hylian. The Sages in OoT are of several different races. Obviously, ALttP's intro cannot be referring to OoT.

The event in ALttP's intro is also referred to as the Imprisoning War. hundreds of knights were needed to protect the Sages from the evil issuing forth, and hundreds died. The only "knight" present at OoT's sealing was Link.

Therefore, the Imprisoning War could not have been the events of OoT.

ANSWER?

The footage we've seen so far of the 2005 GCN Zelda has had a very dark overtone, indicating some great event of catastrophic scale. We've seen huge groups of enemies; a veritable "army of darkness."

Link is much more mature (believed to be around 20-22) and is definitely an older version of the 17-year-old Link from OoT. It is also somewhat important to note that he does not have the Master Sword with him.

At the end of OoT/beginning of MM Link left Hyrule to search for Navi. Presumably it was during his travels that Ganon broke free of the seal and began to twist Hyrule (WW's intro). If he returned, he would find a kingdom split by strife and war. A kingdom kind of like what we're seeing of the 2K5 game, no?

Therefore, the two intros to ALttP and WW, I think, are referring to two halves of the same legend. Ganon broke free of the sacred realm, his evil spilling forth and twisting the land of Hyrule to darkness. No Hero was to be found, as Link was still gone, and the King of Hyrule sought the powers of wise men to seal the Golden Land.

Link returns to Hyrule after 12 years searching, and finds Hyrule in the middle of this huge war. Good way to start a game off.

Darth Jello
see, what I heard about Zelda GCN was that it is the imprisoning war with some Gerudo King (possibly Majora?) trying to get the triforce and Link assembling the Master Sword with the instructions of the Godesses. With the ending being him placing hte sword on the pedastal of the Temple of Time. The Way I see the story works out this way.
1.Link Seals Ganon in Ocerina of time
2.Link defeats Majora and brings great Faries sword to Hyrule
3.Link continues searching for Navi (as assumed in the majora's mask), stumbles into Koholint, Wakes the Wind Fish, Beats Dethl, and brings the magical boomerang and white sword into hyrule
4. Ganon escapes from the seal, in the abscence of the hero of time, the godesses flood the land.
5. The next Link reassembles the Triforce of courage and defeats Ganon, setting off to find a new land called Hyrule
6. The godesses drain Hyrule, leaving behind a ruin and barren plane.
7.Ganon is ressurected and kidnaps Zelda in order to get the Triforce of Wisdom. Zelda breaks it into peices which the current Link finds and reassembles. With the Master Sword broken and lost, he uses the great farie's sword, the white sword, and a magical blade forged by the piccori to mimic the master sword to kill gannon.
8. With Ganon dead, Link finds the Triforce of courage, unites the triforce and wakes princess Zelda.
9. The Triforce sends Link to Labrynna and Holodrum to stop General Onox and Veran from wreaking havoc with the oracles. Link also stops Twinrova and a resurrected Ganon.
10. Link and his friend Ezlo reuinte the Piccori blade into the Four Sword and seal the wind mage Vaati inside it.
11. The next Link saves several maidens from Vaati and seals him in the four sword again.
12. Vaati resurrects Ganon. He is destroyed and Ganon is sealed in the blade.
13. Ganon escapes from the Four Sword, steals the full triforce and is sealed in the Sacred Realm once more by descendants of the seven sages. Plagues ensue.
14. A Wizard named aghanim soothes the plagues but soon becomes possesed by Ganon and breaks the the seal of the sages by stealing their seven descendants. the last Hero called Link destroys aghanim, kills ganon and reclaims the triforfce, destroying the golden land and ensuring peace in Hyrule.

the only contradiction to this could be if the piccori blade is introduced in GCN zelda.

General Kaliero
Okay, while your theory is convoluted and confusing enough to be a Miyamoto plot, you're still mixing up the Links. Also, the Picori Blade has only been in the Minish Cap. And the Great Fairy's Sword was only in Majora's Mask, and even then it was an OPTIONAL item. Plot points that connect the story are not optional.

elrey214
the timeline i think is acceptable...

the legend of zelda

ocarina of time

majora's mask(((( miyamoto should expand on this game maybe another sequel to this game..........hint maybe one involving a certain story that is accessible thru gamefaqs.com message boards....this guys insight on that game is respectable and worthy of pushing majora's mask popularity further b cause ocarina of time overshadows that

------a huge gap, hundreds of years,,,,,

the wind waker

((((the wind waker 2 ,,,,,, maybe here it'll explain more

the anticipated zelda in 2005 (late( after windwaker 2))) will fill in gaps here maybe..

possibly a another zelda game in there....

a link to the past....((((the greatest zelda 1st of 3 great zeldas)))

a another huge gap.....

maybe the ds zelda's story will fit here,,, because miyamoto likes to do sequel prequels but that makes zelda games special

the minish cap somewhere after alttp but not linked to it as i believe miyamoto might need to introduce another zelda that connects those too.....

the foursword (((as the new alttp version on gba has extras unlocked in it when you finish the fourswords....

fourswords adventures...after that one...

(((i think that another link ...used his new found powers inherited from his bloodline or hero bloodline..thats how he was able to save holodrum and labrynna he divided into 2 links...?????just makes sense if we want to add the minish cap and fourswords games..
the oracle of seasons ages games...

i wish capcom and nintendo would've released 3 zeldas instead of 2..((((

power courage and wisdom versions or at least create a trio zelda game based on those ideas left out of the oracle games...)))\

another game needed to link the oracle games to link's awakening...

link's awakening deluxe version

and also another game link's awakening 2....
(((

nintendo.............

the legend of zelda

the legned of zelda 2 the adventure of link

i believe another zelda should be released zelda 3 telling us what has ocurred to link and zelda and if ganon will ever be revived..
(((zelda 3 of course needs to be released on the gba because it'll connect more with zelda 1 and 2))

because ganon after zelda 1 is dead..

also ganon is a piglike moblin creature because of his long time in the dark world sacred world aka golden land

elrey214
okay let me explain my timeline a little bit less confusing

...ocarina of time /master quest
..majora's mask

the wind waker

((next wind waker 2 and late 2005 zelda))
a link to the past

((((ds zelda))
the minish cap
fourswords
fs adventures

oracle of seasons and ages

link's awakening

loz
zelda 2 the adventure of link

link's awakening sub timeline
((((( the 3 cd i zeldas as they do exist we cannot leave them out)))they no major or any effect on the main timeline at all

DarkAge
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Now, WW has been declared the third in line, because Eiji Aonuma stated that it "takes place 100 years after the ending in which Link was an adult." The intro supports this, clearly telling the legend of the Hero of Time, A.K.A. OoT. The Hero leaves Hyrule, and afterwards ("several generations" according to the intro) Ganon breaks free of the seal, and turns the land to darkness. The gods decide to flood the world to stop him, and a select few Hyrulians retreat to the highest mountaintops as the land is consumed by sea. Kinda difficult for all that to happen within only 100 years, no? However, the game itself (in the King's telling of the Great Flood) states that "hundreds of years have passed since then ."

Then how does all the water disappear from the face of the planet?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.