Lent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Is anyone here giving up anything for Lent?

I'm giving up chocolate and alcohol! eek!

KharmaDog
I'm giving up Lent for Lent

Storm
No, I don' t practice christianity anymore.

Napalm
I'm not catholic

finti
they should give up the pope

Clovie
huh what's lent?

Tex
Catholic holiday.

Napalm
Lent is something I find in my belly button a lot

Clovie
and more precisely?

finti
the 40 days between ash wednesday and easter set for fasting and stuff to get ready for easter, bunch of humbug really

Clovie
thank you.

WindDancer
My dad is given up bread for lent. Despite my separation with faith I still lent. I'm just not sure what to lent.

DirectorFitz
I don't practice catholocism...I'm a Baptist....but, my grandma is catholic...i have no idea what she's giving up for it

debbiejo
Lent was a pagan religion that came into the Catholic Church and now into many Protestant churches. I don't do lent, but know many people that do.

MC Mike
I'm giving up god for Lent. You know, clear my mind of clouds - think clearly, etc. smile

Silver Stardust
laughing you know you're the second person I know to say something like that?

periera
Originally posted by finti
the 40 days between ash wednesday and easter set for fasting and stuff to get ready for easter, bunch of humbug really

It's also supposed to symbolize the 40 days (and I think nights, not sure) that Jesus was wandering the woods and had to sacrifice.

Something like that.

finti
woods? Robin Hood yes, Jesus no............. and 40 days one of the most populare use of a set of days through out the bible

Lydia_J
I usually give up chocolate, but since I dont eat that much chocolate anymore i havent done that. Instead I decided to take up something - trying 3 different vegetables a week, I say hate all vegetables but have never really tried them lol so it was a chance for me to make myself try them

periera
Originally posted by finti
woods? Robin Hood yes, Jesus no............. and 40 days one of the most populare use of a set of days through out the bible

He was in the wilderness or something like that. I'm not positive about the exact location but he was wandering for awhile (it was 40 days).

And maybe he met Robin Hood there smile

debbiejo
Yep, 40 days where he was tempted by Satan, before Jesus started His ministry.

finti
yeah but desert is more like it and not woods, just to get a bit techinical big grin

again whats with this bible and 40 days?........all they miss out on is the story of ali baba and the 40 thieves

debbiejo
Seems there are a lot of 40's. Moses waited 40 day before going up the mountain, Noah, 40 days and 40 nights..lots of 40's..

lots of 7's..lots of many numbers...The numbers must have special meaning.

finti
yeah adventures are hung up in the numbers of 40, 7 , 3, 9 and 12..................

periera
see damnit, i kept saying and thinking desert at first and then i either thought it sounded stupid or someone who's a LOT more religious than me (not too hard to do, btw ) said woods.

In other words, yeah, you're right. But you probably already knew that. smile

Ou Be Low hoo
I'm giving up my claim to be 'The New Jesus' for lent...If I succeed through the whole period, I will reclaim it at the end.

Did someone say 'control'?

Julie
I didn't give up anything, but I'm trying to make a concerted effort to pray more

WrathfulDwarf
Okay, this year I decided to try lent. So, I gave up coffee and despite the fact that I missed a good cup of java in the morning....I feel pretty good. Might have to try this again next year.

DigiMark007
I gave up my tolerance to cold for Lent.

Now the fuggin weather just needs to comply and we'll be peaches.

no expression

SpearofDestiny
Originally posted by Phoenix
Is anyone here giving up anything for Lent?

I'm giving up chocolate and alcohol! eek!

Sex

hysterical2

anaconda
i give up the idea of lent and any other idea of giving something up.......bottoms up and lets party some more

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by anaconda
i give up the idea of lent and any other idea of giving something up.......bottoms up and lets party some more

Moderation in all things... including sometimes moderation.

anaconda
moderate to increase

Mark Question
Give up money, and send it to me.

anaconda
earn it

Mark Question
Originally posted by anaconda
earn it

I've tried that, not interested.

Deja~vu
Lent - Rubbing dead, decaying ashes on your face and calling it Holy. Oh, that's Ash Wednesday. confused

Boris
Nothing, as usual.

WrathfulDwarf
Oh, heck! I did it last year and why not this year.

For 2009 lent I'm giving comic books.

(besides DC is publishing shit anyways)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Oh, heck! I did it last year and why not this year.

For 2009 lent I'm giving comic books.

(besides DC is publishing shit anyways)

That's quite a sacrifice for you. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.