What happens if I play a Widescreen DVD on a normal TV?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@t
Does the DVD picture fit itself onto my TV to look widescreen?

Or do I lose the top and bottom of the picture?

LanİeWindu™
You get the black bars in the letterbox format.

You don't actually lose any of the image, it just squashes it down some.

BlackC@t
Phew! whistle

I was worried I'd lose some of the image...

LanİeWindu™
Nah, I prefer Widescreen DVD's on any TV I watch movies on.

It seems much better to me.

If anything you get more images than a fullscreen movie because of the longer width.

BlackC@t
Cool, thanks Lance happy

MildPossession
It fits it to the screen, don't lose anything no.

Norma Jean
Widescreen = Good rock
Fullscreen = Bad death

Joker1237
fullscreen is not as bad as you make it out.

Cinemaddiction
Your ovaries become diseased, making it virtually impossible for you to bear children. If you do manage to do so, they all come out looking like Clint Howard.

BackFire
You blow up the world.

SlipknoT
messed laughing

Norma Jean
Yes it is.

Solo
I can see where you're coming from, considering you waiste 50% of your tv from getting Fullscreen.

SlipknoT
Full screen is bad but you guy are making it seem like it is as Bad as Cancer or AIDS

Cinemaddiction
You waste half the movie by watching it in Fullscreen.

Solo
True. Btw,awesome sig. OUATIM is awesome.

BlackC@t
Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! fear

Cipher
You lose some of the picture if you get a full-screen movie.

Heather 29
They're right you just get the Black bars and the picture is squished down a little andthe picture is a little longer as well

Wolfie
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
You waste half the movie by watching it in Fullscreen.
I wouldn't say half. Like 10-20%. The part cut out isn't important to the movie anyway. It's nice to see though.

MF D00m
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Full screen is bad but you guy are making it seem like it is as Bad as Cancer or AIDS

OMG IT IS

PLEASE DONATE MONEY TO THE FS FOUNDATION

ALL PROCEDES GO TO HELPING THE LESS FORTUNATE (IN THIS CASE, THOSE WITH FS DVD'S)

Reborn Again
Most people are unaware that even though you get more at the sides, you are in fact losing some at the top and bottom of the picture. In order to fit the movie to a specific size dimension some of the picture must be removed. If you don't believe me, the next time you watch a full screen vs. the widescreen format of the same movie take notice of the difference and loss at the top and bottom of the screen.

And here's another interesting fact for all you widescreen TV owners: Widescreen TV's deceive you into thinking you're getting a better pitcture, where as the TV only stretches the image making the image fatter than it normally is. Therefore the image is partially distorted.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.