Opinions on Disney

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hrh_jennifer
I'm doing a research project on Disney (past, present and future)and I could really do with your help, I need to ask as many people as I can about their opinions on Disney's animated feature films, for example
1) favourite disney film (animated) and why
2) worst disney animated film and why
3) best bits and worst bits and why
4) best song and worst song and why
5) what you think about Disney's collaborations with Pixar and why
6) what you think about Disney's competition (Dreamworks etc.) and why
7) do you think Disney is going downhill and why?
8) best and worst soundtrack and why
9) any other general thoughts/opinions

Only constructive comments please people, and if you don't want to answer the questions, any help will do, for those who do want to answer the questions, the "and why" parts are really important. But like I said, anything will be a help.
Jen
gathering

iluvpippin
1. all
2. dunno
3. ...
4. like - one step ahead (aladin, it's catchy) i just cant wait to be king (lion king, its cool) dont like - arabian nights (aladin, its boring, too slow)
7. no, i like most of their movies because they are good for all age groups.
8. dunno
9. luv finding nemo, aladin, cinderella, dumbo (if its walt disney) and lion king

Cinemaddiction
1) "Toy Story" - Because of the groundbreaking animation

2) "Model Behavior" because of Tyra Banks

3) Best bits?

4) Best Song - "Circle of Life" - Lion King
Worst Song - Anything from "Mulan" b/c of Christina Whoregulera

5) Disney's teaming up with Pixar lead to a huge chuck of Disney's newfound success, and produced some of the most groundbreaking CGI animation ever. However, Pixar is leaving Disney w/ Steve Jobs, because Jobs and Eisner are mortal enemies.

6) Dreamworks covers a wider spectrum of movies than Disney, and they really aren't any competition. Dreamworks Animation put out "Antz" to rival "A Bugs Life", and failed miserably.

7) Disney has always gone down hill to their facist leader, Michael Eisner.

8) Best Disney soundtrack would have to be "Toy Story". Just alot of fun songs.

9) I think Disney is going to take another massive blow thanks to Pixar leaving, and the recent failure of movies like "Brother Bear", "Teachers Pet", etc.

SaTsuJiN
1.) All of them (except the sequel add-on nonsense they've been doing lately)

2.) The stupid sequels (mermaid 2, cinderella 2.. etc.. retarded ideas)

3.) Explain "Bits"... thats a vague question

4.) Best song - A whole new world (aladdin) // worst song - hakuna matata..... sick

5.) The collaboration is beneficial, it teaches disney how to better apply, and blend, computer animation with hand drawn animation. Also because the partnership with disney means big $$$$ , pixar can also learn better graphical techniques.

6.) Dreamworks does great films. I think they are great because they are what disney used to be : full of good ideas and unconstrained quality. I wont say they are better than disney though

7.) Yes, disney is going down the shitter.. they're doing too many sequels to old films, and relying on too many re-releases of previous films.

8.) Best soundtrack - A tie between 'beauty and the beast' and 'aladdin'. worst would probably be Tarzan, as it only has like 1 or 2 good songs.

9.) Disney should do more mature things with thier animation, but under a different department or logo or whatever so they don't taint thier image. I think the people who grew up with disney are getting tired of the cliche'ed 'goodie goodie' characters. I know "I" for one would like to see mature, and real personality traits within both the character personalities and designs.

hrh_jennifer
Thanx for the replies so far, very interesting!
O.k. by best bits, I just mean any particular scene or quote that particualarly stood out or is particularly memorable for you, e.g. ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast etc.
another question I just thought of: favourite hero/heroine, favourite baddie, favourite character in general and why...
o.k. I know that's three questions, but hey, I get carried away.

Cinemaddiction
In that case..

Favorite bit would be when Buzz Lightyear proved he could "fly".

Favorite Hero would be again, Buzz Lightyear

Favorite Heroine would be Dory

Don't have a favorite villain..

Favorite character overall would is a tie amongst Sully, Mike Wachowski, Woody, and Buzz.

Miss_bishie

I think it was a genius idea. Nemo and the bugs life are two great movies. Disney shoud of did this ages ago. The profits..

Does potc count? If so woo that one!

punkyhermy
1.Beauty and the Beast-The most amazingly moving animated motion picture in history!loved it ever since i was 8!!!
2.Lilo and Stich-because it is ssooo lame and immatue.terrible script!okay we get it that it's about family,enough already!!!!
3."I've got a name-and it's a boys name too!"Man that's funny.hhhmmm there are also some great animated scens like the first 5 min sequebce in TARZAN with the song "2 world 1 family"beautiful work!even now my jaw drops looking at it!
the ball scene in beauty and the beast-i mean c'mon can it get any better.that scen with the whole song and all was AMAZING!!the color coordination,the animation.wat more can the audience ask for?!
the songs man,the songs.specifically,"be prepared" from lion king!
and "i'm still here" from traesure planet.love the movie sequence and the use of flash backs in the video wow man!!!!
4.My favorite catagory so far! hmmm.
"i'm still here "treasure planet.loved it.it had a melancholic feel to it and the video was absolutely beautiful!
"be prepared"lion king.lov the video and the sharp and bold use of color to demonstrate personality.the song's got rythm.
"beauty and the beast"lov the lyrics,lov the setting,lov the characters lov the whole scen.every time i watch that part in the movie,i want to be a princess,graceful and fragile,just want to be with the beast and those arms and dance....so romantic!
"reflections"i think it's a song everyone can relate too.heartfelt lyrics
"we are one"this song sends a universal message that everyone these days should listen to.seriously!every parent shpuld make their children watch the movie and the song in particular.lion king 2.
5.pixar ruined disney.it killed the classic animation that i'm a fan of.
6.i'd have to biased on this one.dreamworks is good but it only got "shrek"Fox got anastasia which i enjpyed but c'mon,it was a total rippoff of disney works.everything about it!copy cat!!!warner brothers is i think the only serious threat to disney only with it's BATMAN frabchise which i'll lov for ever.it explores more mature themes and has got a audience at a grander scale.
7.YES!!!HELL YESS!!!!it is and it's so disapointing for the die hard disney fans.it's embarrasing.tell me in like the past few years has there been a single disney film that has been of the same standrad as beauty and the beast or evevn lili mermaid?
8.Beauyty and the beastthe best soundtrack alos tarzan i think yeah
9.I think the major flaw in disney is that it's gotton so predictable over the years.they are not eveloving.they're animatedmovies are aimed at a selected audience only.they should bring out characters with more depth and dimention rather than those steriotypical villans and heroes.look at mask of teh phantasm for instance?!!!

hrh_jennifer
Thanx a lot for this input guys, it's most helpful! So far I think only punkyhermy has the same general opinions as me, which I was quite surprised at actually, I don't know why, I think we are just both Disney traditionalists. Ooh I have another question, what was the first Disney movie you saw? If you can remember that is, I can't rememebr which one I saw first, but the one I saw at the cinema first was The Lady and the Tramp (showing my age a bit there!). Also, just as a comment on Pixar, does anybody else think that the Pixar films have more basic plotlines than the traditional animated films, they sort of seem more basic to me, y'know lost fish, toys coming to life etc.
also, punkyhermy, Dreamworks also did The Road to El Dorado, which, despite it not being Disney, I absolutely love, being a bit late to pick up on the whole DVD thing, plus being poor, I only have two animated DVDs, one is Beauty and the Beast, of course! and the other is The Road to El Dorado, the bamter between Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline is fantastic!

BakaXero
1) any
2) all the unnessessary sequels
3) Best:not sure Worst:the whole sequel to certain cartoons
4) Best:The Bear Narseseties
5) i liked it
6) um... never thought of them as competition
7) sorta... bringing out some of those sequel were really unessessary
8) not sure
9) the sequels SUCKED!

roundisfunny
1) favourite disney film (animated) and why
I grew up in the 70's and 80's, and there was a bit of a drought in the Disney animation department, as I recall. I can remember seeing films like "The Fox and the Hound" or "The Rescuers", but they didn't leave as much of an impact on me as, say, the SW or Raiders films. When they started coming out with yearly releases around 1990, "Aladdin" was the one I considered the best (and still do). As far as the Pixar films, I have to say "Toy Story", followed closely by its sequel.

2) worst disney animated film and why
"The Hunchback of Notre Dame". After that one, I just quit bothering. It was as though Disney was just taking Broadway rejects and slapping them onto a cartoon pallette. I didn't even bother to see "Hercules", "Mulan", "Pocahontas" or any of the traditional animated films since then.

3) best bits and worst bits and why
I like it when the story and/or humor is broad enough to appeal to kids and adults. Even if you have to keep it simple for the tots, at least spicing it up with some "ol' folks" references keeps us from getting bored. Disney has done very well with this in the Pixar films; not so with the regular animation.

4) best song and worst song and why
Hard to say; like I said, I really like "Aladdin", and that included most of the soundtrack. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be "You ain't never had a friend like me". Worst? Any of Tom Hulce's songs from "Hunchback" (I'm just glad Demi Moore didn't sing--it would have been like listening to Bea Arthur gargling glass shards).

Keep it up, but don't feel like you have to release one every year, thereby potentially sacrificing story/animation quality.

6) what you think about Disney's competition (Dreamworks etc.) and why
Disney always has a built-in audience of kids (and their parents). Unless and until Disney totally tarnishes its reputation, they have nothing to fear.

7) do you think Disney is going downhill and why?
Two words: Michael Eisner
Four more words: Gay day at Disneyland.

Already covered.

9) any other general thoughts/opinions
Listen...you hear that? Ol' Walt is spinning in his grave.

hrh_jennifer
O.k. I'm getting that nobody's a fan of the sequels, I wonder who's buying them then? thanx for your replies, thanx for all the detail Roundisfunny, much appreciated!

hrh_jennifer
keep those answers coming people! I need as many opinions as possible! big grin

hrh_jennifer
I quite liked The Hunchback of Notre Dame soundtrack, the opening song was brilliant really powerful, and Clopin has a really terrific voice, IMO!

eleveninches
I think the best movie Disney ever made just has to be the Lion King

hrh_jennifer
why?

WindDancer
1. Lion King because is about honor, love, bravery, Justice and it deals with things like childhood to adulthood.

2. I really haven't seen it but that movie Treasure Planet I think is the worst.

3. I'm not sure what you want here. confused

4. Best song "Hakuna Matata", worse song "Always know where you are".

5. I think is great! Animation is going to improve in the future if these two stay together.

6. Umm no comment, I really don't care much.

7. It depends now that Michael Eisner is gone Disney could head into some management issues.

8. Again is has to be Treasure Planet. That "Always know where you are" song isn't very memorable, and the lyrics aren't that good.

9. I love the classic Donald Duck, he is one of my most favorite characters of Disney!!!!

hrh_jennifer
thanx WindDancer, question 3 best bits is just about any scenes/quotes etc. that you especially liked/found most memorable! What beautiful reasons for liking The Lion King!

WindDancer
Glad to help in some way. happy

Could do us a favor? After your research is done, could you tell us the results? You don't have to, but it would interesting to see what you came up with. Don't worry I won't be a critic of your work. Good luck with your project.

hrh_jennifer
Of course! I still need lots more though, so it may take a while!

tinkerbell668
1) the first movie I ever saw was Alice in Wonderland
2) My favorite movie is Dumbo, Hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time. Also fantasia, one word: Beautiful.
3) The little mermaid 2, It didnt have a good plot.
4) The best song was definetly Part of Your World (the little mermaid) or a whole new world (Aladdin), the worst song was um i dunno probably Arabian nights (Aladdin), because you cant wait till its over.
5) I personally think its brilliant I loved Toy Story, and I went head over heels for finding Nemo. It gave people a whole new look on things.
6)Disney will always stay on top!
7)No I dont with the animated films they just need to dig a little more deep and find that story like the little mermaid or beauty and the beast. (but finding nemo and pirates of the caribbean were a hit)
8)The best is ummmmm I liked the little mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, the worst Hunchback of Notre Dame
9) Like i said they just need to dig deep.

big grin Happy Dance big grin *Alrighty then* big grin Happy Dance big grin

hrh_jennifer
Than you, keep 'em coming!

hrh_jennifer
O.K. here's another question, can you think of any stories/fairy tales etc. that have not yet been made into a Disney movie, but should/could be?

Kes
If you wish to reply to this topic please go here:http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33638
Closing--closed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.