Metallica HipHop

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

room #99
A new Metallica tribute album, entitled "Hip Hop Tribute To Metallica", is due for release on March 8.

The Tracklist is going to be as followed :
01. Enter Sandman
02. Am I Evil?
03. Creeping Death
04. Harvester Of Sorrow
05. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
06. Through The Never
07. For Whom The Bell Tolls
08. Fade To Black
09. Master Of Puppets
10. Nothing Else Matters

It is not yet known which artists are involved in the album.

What is hell are metallica doing ? isnt it enough that they cimmited carrer suicide with St Anger.

Now This Bullshit!

Morning_Glory
confused...so.... what is with the Hip Hop part of all this... thats what scares me...

room #99
Imagine creeping death rapped...it will be awful

eggmayo
Bear in mind this is a tribute to Metallica.. Metallica aren't organising and probably have nothing to do with it

Filth
Aww hell, i knew this would happen and now it has, metallica have lost all dignity it would seem.

room #99
I am sure they have something to do with it, atleast im sure they have been asked for permission on doing this album, and im sure Lars Ulrich thought he would make a few more million dollars from it. Now even fans of load and reload and also maybe st anger will hate metallica too.

Deathblow
Sounds interesting. If they get some decent producers working on it and throw in lots of Metallica sampling, and keep James singing the hooks, who's to say, it could even be good.

room #99
Metallica wont proforme anything....various rappers will

Deathblow
Hip-Hop is sample based music, they can still keep the vocals and the band doesn't have to physically do anything.

room #99
You mean you will enjoy for example Snoop dogg doing a song on that album .?

Napalm
What the F**k has metallica been smoking

Sickened.
As long as Lil' John does Sanitarium, I'm game.

Korri
There is already a punk tribute to Metallica.

I mean, i dont have anything against it i think it might be a blessing in disguise because if you think about it most people who listen to hip-hop say metal/rock etc is bullsh*t but they havent really listened to it they are just sort of blinded by their own tastes and i think its the same vice versa...

meh it could be interesting to hear what comes out of it...

one reservation, Am i Evil? is a Diamond Head song not a Metallica song thats a bit unfair really if its a tribute to Metallica.....but i am a big Diamond Head fan so i would have to say something about that stick out tongue

room #99
lil john is crap! and no it wont be a good thing , i dont want the makers of Master Of Puppets & Ride The Lightening,The Former Gods Of Thrash Metal Agreeing on A Hip Hop Album.

i like hiphop but not when it has something to do with Metallica.

Df02
yea, surely theyll have to mention sumwhere on the CD that Am I Evil? is a cover of Diamond Head

Korri
*cough* former? i wasnt aware they ever lost their title messed

room #99
They lost it after load,when they tottaly changed their style for to CRAP.

room #99
Metallica should stop this from happening. Hit The Studio record a thrash metal song,Make a greatest hits album and shove that song somewhere there. and Retire. so people will remember them as The Mighty Metallica.

Silver Stardust
...if they kill Master of Puppets I will be pissed...

Alpha Centauri
"so people will remember them as The Mighty Metallica."

Yeah, the mighty Metallica who retired because some people expect another Master of Puppets, right?

Metallica aren't, nor have they ever been, crap. They had a below par last album. That's all. They're amazing musicians.

Quit acting like they owe you something.

-AC

room #99
So Your telling me load , reload , ST ANGER = Amazing musicanship ?

what ? dont you want another great thrash metal album from metallica ? or do you want another load,reload,st anger.

Yes i want another master of puppets. But i doubt they will ever do one. i guess money is more important to them then playing music now. or maybe they just lost it. RIP Cliff Burton

Alpha Centauri
"Yes i want another master of puppets. But i doubt they will ever do one. i guess money is more important to them then playing music now. or maybe they just lost it."

What the hell? Such nonsense.

There is never gonna be another Master of Puppets calibre album produced by them. Recognise that. Just because there won't, no reason to diss them all the damn time. I liked Load, Reload was iffy and St. Anger, while not up to par, was nowhere near as bad as people seem. Why? Coz I wasn't sitting there thinking "Oh those Metallica boys better churn out another M.O.P or there'll be trouble." No, I was just grateful that they got their lives straightened out and didn't die the typical rock star deaths, because believe it or not, I like having Metallica alive and well. If the sacrifice is that we don't get another Master of Puppets, I'll make that sacrifice.

Money is more important? Since when? Lars likes his money, so what? They've never compromised theirselves. Napster wasn't about that, Napster was about people taking the music they made and putting it out for everyone to just take, for free. Metallica's music is nobody elses to give but their own. They are great musicians and they also have to make a living.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, see them live and realise that NOTHING has changed besides their album nature. Metallica rule. Get over it.

-AC

Deathblow
I'd love to know where the **** you got that idea from, seeing as I have yet to mention anything about the artists themselves yet.

But no, I would not enjoy Snoop Dogg covering Metallica, but you wanna know something real special? There are actually some good rappers out there, artists who have just as much, and in some cases more passion and fire than Metallica used to. El-P, Slug and Chuck D would have my full support if they decided to resurrect a Metallica song. Just imagine a big chunky Wu-Tang Clan version of Am I Evil, or Dan The Automator turning Enter Sandman into a flipped out creepy trip-hop song. Considering we have no idea what artists will be working on this, who's to say it won't be good.

Dr. Strangelove
If this is made by talented hip-hop artists than it could be very interesting. But if it's made by hacks like Snoop Dog and Lil John that it will be crap. Just have to wait and see who the artists are.

hh?
what he said^

imagine Metallica on Madlib productions droolio stick out tongue

Afro Cheese
I don't see what their target audience is by making this album. Let's face it.. the majority of Metallica fans aren't going to want to listen to a Hip Hop album, and the majority of Hip Hop fans aren't going to want to listen to a Metallica tribute. I'll give it a try.. I just don't get who they are planning to sell this to.

room #99
Then we will have to wait to see who will be on that album.

But i doubt it will be someone good i think they might pick some mainstream rappers just to sell more records.

snoop dogg did a cover of sad but true on MTV Icon and it was awful. i hope they dont let him distroy another classic.

Silver Stardust
Agreed.

bilb
I love Metallica, but this has sell out written all over it

Silver Stardust
erm

Honestly, I'll wait to hear it before passing judgment...but like I said, mess up Master of Puppets (my fave Metallica song) and I WILL be pissed.

bilb
As will alot of folks Star

Silver Stardust
So let's just hope that they have GOOD performers for thie tribute album and not shit like Snoop Dogg. Basically I'll quote what Deathblow said as it's what I think.

Korri
That is exactly how i feel.

I hate how people think Load and Reload were alot of bullsh*t, so they decide to try something different for once... OMFG they are loosing it!! they have gone all "mellow" as someone said in skom (i cant remember who right now im to tired)

"omg i lost my virginity to Master of Puppets, i want Master of Puppets for the rest of my life"

that just shows how shallow some people are in their musical tastes. I hate people who think they are all hard "oh yeah i listen to Metallica im a true hardcore metal fan im so cool" but now theyre not cool anymore because they arent writing stuff as fast and as heavy as songs like Whiplash or their early stuff anymore.

some people need to open their eyes and get a f*cking grip.

Silver Stardust
No shit. I love Master of Puppets, it is by far my favorite Metallica album...but I also recognize that they probably will not be able to release an album of that quality again, and I don't expect it from them. If they release a crap album, well, they release a crap album, and I don't like them any less because of it. If anything, because they decided to try something different and failed, I liked them more, just because they tried.

But yeah. People need to stop going "OMG their album was crap they suuuuuck!!!", look at the bigger picture, recognize that even the best of bands can make a mediocre album, and STFU.

loserib
metallica sold out a long time ago when they cut their hair for cash and this would be the second hip hop metallica album as they a remixed the black album with jz

Korri
What the hell does that have to do with the music??

oh and by the way they didnt cut there hair, a barber did...

room #99
ya true i agree on this with korri i dont care what they have to them selfs..what upsets me is the direction change of the music

Alpha Centauri
People need to get lives, honestly.

So you weren't satisfied with St. Anger and such, fine. Deal with it.

For crying out loud they are still amazing musicians. Why do I think this? Coz I saw them live on the St. Anger tour and they still owned the building, the stage and the night. They have a way of being awesome like that. I wasn't standing there saying "Hmm well, the album kinda sucks."

-AC

room #99
i have the right to complain if one of my fav bands put out a crappy effort.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah but running around claiming they sold out or that they don't give a shit about the music just coz YOU don't like something they did is a bit much.

-AC

Silver Stardust
All they did was try something different and it didn't work out! So you'll condemn them for that?

Korri
Personally i am not that dissapointed by St. Anger,

sure it wasnt that great compared with their older stuff but considering what they have been through in the past few years i think its amazing that they actually managed to make another album because they were so close to splitting up.

If anything the whole St. Anger project shows just how strong they actually are that they can get through one of the toughest periods in their life and stil manage to make something out of it for the fans.

So yes, there is some beauty and meaning that comes from that album.

room #99
for more profit!

St.anger lacking solos and sounding bland made it shitty for me

Korri
for more profit? really? not because they are passionate about making music like most musicians are?

I think that also we have already covered the fact that its not the 80s anymore and that they have been experimenting with new sounds so the fact that you dont like St. Anger because its not the same old same old which is pretty shallow minded if you think about it.

lets face it the days of 8 minute anthems are gone, music is changing my friend.

Alpha Centauri
Since when did doing stuff for profit.......in a profession, become a bad thing?

If they had compromised theirselves and their beliefs, THAT would be selling out. They didn't.

They have to make profit coz at the end of the day, it is their job.

You didn't like the album. No need to condemn the band.

-AC

WindDancer
Bad idea thumb down

hh?
really bad idea..unless they get a really good hip hop artist. but if they want to sell millions they have to get artists like Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent etc etc...

Afro Cheese
This album will more than likely have mostly mainstream artists on it. But, to be fair, I really can't see Sage Francis or MC Slug going well with Metallica samples.. they just aren't hard enough. Chuck D would probably do great though.

Darth_Lucifer
I think its a rubbish idea, you can't really call it a tribute if you think about it? I bet half of the guys who do sing/rap the song's have not heard them before in their lives.

Deathblow
Please, Metallica are huge all over the world. Just because they are immersed in hip-hop culture doesn't mean they've never heard of Metallica.

Sage Francis no, but Slug definitely. He's got one of the loudest, brashest voices I've heard. Heck he spends half of Seven's Travels shouting.

bilb
laughing

hh?
true^

MaggotCorps
my band is making a tribute to Metallica. we're a metal band called Mass Suicide. we're calling the album METAL GODS and the we're having those songs:

Trapped Under Ice
Enter Sandman
Creeping Death
Fade to Black
Sad But True
Master Of Puppets
Call of the Ktulu
Whiskey in the Jar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.