distinguishing physical characteristics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gambitindaflesh
This forum will probably suck, but I'm kind of tired of all the character looking the same, well a lot of them, same hair, build all that. I would like to see some dreds with beads and shells, I don't know I just see so many pics and some times I have no idea if it's Havoc, Gambit, Cylops, or some guy I don't know and I think more distinguished or original features would be great, like Wolverine's hair plus he is short and thick, not like all the tall lean, buldging guys. I don't know what do you think?

laurel lebeau
i agree with you, girl, but, um. can you see gambit with dreads and shells? sorry. laugh break. yeah, it's annoying that they often kinda all get to look the same. i mean, yeah, cyclops always has his ruby quartz, and remy's rarely out of sight of his trademark trenchcoat. but you are definitely right. i just can't think on how to improve. and btw, i doubt your forum will suck. look. it has two really cool people's opinions already. just kidding. anyhow. keep faith in your forum, and comfort in the fact that you are right. l8er.

ayjay
watabout storm?...she got da white her goin...and sh'es had the mohawke, da short hair, the long hair

but yeeh...the guys all look the same. i rekon bring in an x-man with corn rolls and dat'll be kool

now u have THREE kool ppl with opinions ^_^

stormfront13
they should have someone with a fire afro lol

NoFate007
I think they look different enough.

gambitindaflesh
I wouldn't give Gambit the dreds! NO, No, no no.... but some cool new chic with black dreds with shells who talked to animals or something weird might just become my new favorite! I love the suggestions! Fire afro! HA HA! that's cool! and corn rolls? how some they never thought of that??? that might actually be hip! Yes, Storm kicks butt and has an awsome and distinguished look that I love, Wolvie too, Gambit does slightly, I do think they should of stuck with the pink suit because it was certainly different and who the hell can make pink look cool and sexy like that? on a man? I mean, I think it was his kind of thing. Yes, please let there be some different bodies and hair! a flaming afro! Oh, man, you see no one could over look these kind of characters and they would be remembered when shown again, it needs to be done!

stormfront13
I hope some writers stumble onto this sight and see these suggestions- I love the suggestion that there should be a woman with black dreds with shells who talked to animals. She should be able to do anything an animal can do too. that'd be the best. I think someone should have water for hair, Like just floating around, maybe it would look like a waterfall or something, I don't know. All these suggestions are sweet!!

gambitindaflesh
Ooo, another good one! Why does't Marvel think of these things? Time for another petition!!! just kidding!

stormfront13
what one was another good one??

gambitindaflesh
yours, the water fall hair! I really couldn't think of anything but dreds and shells and animal talk, probably because it's me if I were a mutant (though I haven't had dreds in years and I can only communicate with animals in a realistic way) so I just drew a bunch of blanks even though I was sure there had to be more different looking characters. If I did mutate though, that would be me! I would be known as... uh, shell hair? no, see, having trouble being creative again. laughing

stormfront13
lol ur a funny one- I think that milano colored skin, yellow eyes- a tail like nightcrawlers- and yellowish gold hair would be cool

pr1983
water type girl...

dunno if this is what u meant...

stormfront13
i didn't even know there was a girl like that lol

pr1983
she's only in that issue i think...

stormfront13
oooh well that explains why I don't know her

laurel lebeau
all these ideas are great and funny. but ... i dunno, though ... what to do about the old ones. f'sho, a flamin 'fro would be gr8, and shell hair animal girl would be cool, but ya still cant tell the old guys one from another. but that is a huge problem. its kinda annoying how generic and bland they get to look sometimes. im all for getting gambit a punk'd out whiteboy 'fro. that would be so funny. ow! not that funny! i just laughed so hard, i got a stitch in my side and slammed my head on the printer! shoot. anyway. there has to be something to make all of them different enough that its obvious whos who. i mean, me the gambit freak, i can tell him apart by anything. my boy remy, he got a whole bunch of pictures and made me guess which had gambit in them ... the hardest was one that had jean, it was jean grey, and i just barely caught the edge of a man's fingertips, and it was gambits hand, because of the gloves fingers being cut off. but the point is, for all the rest of the non-freak world, there cant just be the generic white male xman. its getting hard to keep up on. there has to be some variety! arrgh. anyway. my rant is done. l8er.

pr1983
i think that was joe madureiras fault...

as good as he is he drew a lot of men the same...

stormfront13
yeah he did- does anyone think that there is a similarity between scott and gambit look wise??

ScarletSpider
They are similar. Brown hair, roughly the same build, though Scott should be taller and, well, hence his nickname, slimmer.

I think it might help if creators paid attention more to regular people. I understand it's comics, stuff doesn't have to look exact and all, but the amount of full natural blonde-haired people in comics is ridiculous. It's a rare trait, and it's never to that extreme, it's usually a dirty blonde, not a yellow as the sun blonde.

They try to distinguish them, and do a good job most of the time, but I agree some extra touches would be nice. As for corn rows, I believe Cecilia Reyes had them. Can't think of any dreds, though that would by and large require black characters, who could be more prevalent, along with asians, latinos and Ghandi-style Indians. There's actually a disproportionate number of Sitting Bull-style Indians for their actual population size, which, sadly, registered at less than 1% in the most recent American census.

ayjay
i rekon bring in a big spiky hair duude....you know...like them carzy gotho punk rockers with the HUGE spikes....dat would be kool

gambitindaflesh
They don't have to be black to have good dreds! Not at all.

ScarletSpider
I know, but the there are more black people with dreds than white people. I know it sounds ridiculously racist to use those terms, but whatever, I'm not going to trip over political correctness.

They should give Cyke a beard, so he'd stop looking like a baby-faced chicken shit.

pr1983
a beard? hell no... the clean shaven thing is the way he is... always has been...

laurel lebeau
it really does get annoying that they all look the same. but here's a small problem. instead of just saying it, really picture cyclops with a beard. close your eyes and see gambit with shell dreads. nevermind the last actually. but what is everyone gonna do? i cant think of what they c/would do. what are they gonna say? um ... i know y'all like this person just like this, but too bad ... ? fans would be royally ticked. slight problem. maybe. i dunno. it could get yucky, i think. anyway. does anyone else agree? or not? just tryin to figure out waht im trying to say ... another failed launch. *sigh* help?

ScarletSpider
He could still look nice and well-groomed with a beard. I don't mean he has to be a scruffy crapface.

gambitindaflesh
You're funny. I don't mean to say we should change the characters that are already very well known and popular, but when new characters come into play (and there very well should be) that they need to figure out some new things. Some things could be changed though, like Storm's mowhak thing, that was fine, it could happen. As far as dreds, yeah they are most popular on blacks and for good reason (their hair makes for the best dreds) but my shell baring, animal talking friend that I was invisioning was white, not that it would matter a whole lot. I do want the corn rows though, I want to see that!

gambitindaflesh
GASP!!!! Pr1983 is not on right now!!! he is always on when I am, it almost seems like he does not sleep but instead just types away on these forums! Aww, he's so loyal and dedicated to these forums! typical Cyclops type of guy.

ayjay
hehehe...i wonder wat would happen if they made logan with a comb over! BWUAAHAHAH!!.

pr1983
i do know what you mean, but i just don't see it as part of his character, i mean look at superman, he'd look ridicuolous with a beard, same as cyclops imo...

laurel lebeau
i dont like cyclops, not one bit, but you are so right. even a little goatee or well-groomed beard would look so spastic on him. he cant even really have the stubble thing like gambit does. he definitely cant be bearded. but have you thought about ... shaving his head into patterns of hair? a star, perhaps! or a spiral? just playin. no offense, mon ami. i was just havin some fun. teehee. i have to run. dinner. cy'all. i think i just made a new word. hmmm. interesting. anyway. l8er.

ayjay
i don't like cyclops with short short hair...like in astonishing and ultimate...i prefer him with the slightly longer hair like in the onslaught saga

pr1983
i agree 100%

and the visor in astonishing is crap imo...

ayjay
omg YEEH..it is!!!....it looks hilarious!!!

btw...i been meaning to ask.....wats the deal with the visor?...like in some comics he had the funny tuning nob on his ear...these recent ones are just glasses basically....so yeeh...im not sure wat the visor actually does

ScarletSpider
Well, just a couple years ago I think they figured out that the visor doesn't have to be a big bulky dumb yellow thing. Some of them have the button on the side, and some of them don't. I think his current one, though it's never been stated, would be explained away as some sort of Shi-Ar temporary skin graft technology, and a cybernetic interface that lets him control it mentally.

I like the Astonishing one, though I think it looks a bit big, they could stream line it, so he doesn't have a pound of crap hanging off of his eyes.

pr1983
i always preferred the headpiece visor (the yellow one), it just seemed better looking imo...

the new one i dont like at all, cos now he doesnt wear shades and i just think it looks silly...

ayjay
o0o0o....so THATS why he never takes it off...its some skin graft tech?...i would like to know more about this new visor.....

laurel lebeau
hey! here's a working concept! instead of having all these size zero, z-cup girls, let's have a size eight girl! or one who's flat! a guy with red hair? gambit with a wildly punk'd do! rogue with a green streak. come on! i'm sixteen, and my hair hasn't looked the same my whole life! why would theirs! i mean, really. oh, shoot. cooking dinner. not gumbo, this time. it's actually just chicken. but it takes forever. mama's making me go. why can't she cook? *sigh*. love all y'all. keep the ideas coming!

Red Superfly
Cyclops with a beard - hrm, could work actually. I mean, as Cyclops gets older he becomes wiser, and as Wolverine has assured him over the years, he has become a master. An Obi-Wan Kenobi style beard could really go down well on Cyclops as he matures further.

I dunno, I really don't care.

pr1983
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Cyclops with a beard - hrm, could work actually. I mean, as Cyclops gets older he becomes wiser, and as Wolverine has assured him over the years, he has become a master. An Obi-Wan Kenobi style beard could really go down well on Cyclops as he matures further.

I dunno, I really don't care.

obi wan kenobi style... hmm...

laurel lebeau
oh gosh. i can't stop laughing. that's so great. oh, please. i'm sick! this is gonna kill me! oh, gosh! i mean, it's not that awful if you give it a thought, but, really! please! just read that aloud! i'm so sorry. no offense meant, if any is taken. love all y'all.

wuTa
Originally posted by ScarletSpider
I know, but the there are more black people with dreds than white people. I know it sounds ridiculously racist to use those terms, but whatever, I'm not going to trip over political correctness.

thats not racist at all....dreadlocks were origniated in black culture..black people's hair are more suitable for dreadlocks than whities...same with cornrows....you ever see a white person with cornrows? sick

wuTa
Originally posted by ayjay
hehehe...i wonder wat would happen if they made logan with a comb over! BWUAAHAHAH!!.

he actually has one in Wolverine The End i think is the name of the comic...its one of his comics were he's really old and about to die or something along those line...i'm not sure if its really a combover but he is bald

laurel lebeau
Originally posted by wuTa
...you ever see a white person with cornrows? sick ummm ... i have. laurel (that's me, for the slower folks) is never seen without her hair in one of three styles: parted on the left, pulled into a horsetail barette, or - get this - IN CORNROWS! now this may mean nothing to you now. but here's a physical description of me. white. as in, WHITE. pale as they come. two-second sunburns and the like. pale eyes, soft, silky hair. whitegirl hair. and cornrows look great on me. and hold. and everything. it's not the race, it's the person. lashante looks like a fool with cornrows. it's the face, not the ethnicity. i keep repeating myself. i have to go. remy is gonna do my hair again. IN CORNROWS. isn't that funny? okay, l8er, y'all!

dubefan
cornrows, not a fan but hay somecan pull it off and they are few and far between but if you look good in them go nuts, now a super hero shouldnt have cornrows long hair loks good, bald is god, but cornrows no

laurel lebeau
i don't know on that. maybe they aren't so bad. i can see jean pulling off half-cornrows, you know, where the hair is braided flat against the skull in front and then cuts off, flowing loose in the back? that would look nice. i know for a fact that redheads can pull that look off. (glances vainly in mirror, smiling to self) anyhow. it's not a demand, it's a suggestion. i personally think that it would be fun to have a change. anyway. talk l8er, y'all!

Metalmanx
Gah...no, Jean should not cornrow her hair. I mean, it's a good thought, but that would take away all his seriousness. I know I myself would never take her seriously.

And there has been an X-men with dreads. Bishop has had dreads many times in X-men. First he had the Jerri-curl, then dreads, and now he's bald. Well, buzzed I suppose is really what is.

laurel lebeau
well, yeah, sure, you could do it in such a way that she would look silly and be taken none too seriously. or you could do it so that she doesn't. full cornrows would be awful, i agree. but maybe partial ... they're cool-looking, and practical. they keep your hair out of your face. make it easier to see, especially when you're out there fighting. i fence and do broadsword, short-sword, long-sword, and dagger and knife fighting, and i tell ya, cornrows that start at the hairline and go back to the crown are super-convenient. but yeah, i definitely see your point. now what's making me curious is ... what'll the response to this be?

Metalmanx
Hahaha, I'm not really sure actually. I guess it also depends on what Jean you're talking about.

Take Ultimate X-men (My favorite series!) Jean for example. She's already got short, sexy hair. That Jean's hair should not be cornrowed.

But I do see your point for getting the hair out of your face, it does make sense. ^^

laurel lebeau
yeah. i was thinking the waist-length mass of silken locks. that's so hard to handle ... it's easier with cornrows. no, you're definitely right about the short hair being awful. i hope it makes sense. otherwise, i don't make any sense with my style. anyway, have to go. cya!

laurel lebeau
HEY PEEPS! YA NEED TO TALK, HERE! COME ON! I MEAN IT! DIS CAJUN'S ABOUT TO GO LOCA ON YOUR BUTTS! LET'S GET TALKING!

platinumx
Iono about jean with corn rows. I think she would be kinda tender headed.

munkiesarus
thats not racist at all....dreadlocks were origniated in black culture..black people's hair are more suitable for dreadlocks than whities...same with cornrows....you ever see a white person with cornrows? sick

Yes. He's in my aisle in the Locker Room during Gym.

As for all those unique hairstyles, Storm sported one not too long ago in X-Treme. (See attachment).

One of the Assassin's Guilds members had dreadlocks. He was a big player or something in the old Gambit series.

Ultimate Dazzler's hair = Sonic the Hedgehog. But it's cool.

Cyclop's has the visor or the shades. He's NOT unrecognizable.

You can't throw a rock without hitting Wolverine in the Marvel Universe these days, so itd be hard not to recognize ONE of him.

Emma is pretty much the only blonde haired blue eyed female lead. Rogue is the interesting skunk. Remy's got the eyes. Beast...well, yeah. Jean is our red tresses beau (we don't see much of Rahne in mainstream anyway).

Bishop is the big black male, Nightcrawler is blue and furry.

No, these guys are pretty distinguishable.

stormfront13
yeah,, i think storm has had corn-rows before

munkiesarus
the danger room in astonishing x-men also has these weird dreadlocks.

laurel lebeau
true 'nuff, on most points. but the real problem hasn't been addressed much lately. what we were originally talking about was the generic male. light to medium brown hair, white skin, lean build. from a distance, you can't hardly tell anyone from everyone else. and it gets even worse when some people draw them the same. what gambitindaflesh said when we started this thread was 'I just see so many pics and some times I have no idea if it's Havoc, Gambit, Cylops, or some guy I don't know'. that's exactly right. that's how i feel. we decided that there were some distinguishing features, like gambit with the trenchcoat and cyclops with the visor, but there's gotta be something more. a pixellated pic of these guys, and you can't tell who it is. we need... um... well... let's see... hmmm... i'm not sure what we need. maybe cyclops should dye his hair... purple. yeah. and gambit should have red hair. not auburn, but red. like me! or jean, for a better-known example. naw, i'm only kidding. help me out, y'all! big grin anyway, that's what i've got for now. cy'all!

katie_girl09
Originally posted by laurel lebeau
ummm ... i have. laurel (that's me, for the slower folks) is never seen without her hair in one of three styles: parted on the left, pulled into a horsetail barette, or - get this - IN CORNROWS! now this may mean nothing to you now. but here's a physical description of me. white. as in, WHITE. pale as they come. two-second sunburns and the like. pale eyes, soft, silky hair. whitegirl hair. and cornrows look great on me. and hold. and everything. it's not the race, it's the person. lashante looks like a fool with cornrows. it's the face, not the ethnicity. i keep repeating myself. i have to go. remy is gonna do my hair again. IN CORNROWS. isn't that funny? okay, l8er, y'all!
I don't think they meant any offense by that. Black hair is better-suited for that hairstyle.

laurel lebeau
oh, yeah. of course. i know. i was simply pointing out that some people who are not black can still do the style. i know, it's generally not a white style, because it's harder with the finer, more silky hair. but it can be, and is often, done. i know there was no offense. i sure didn't mean to sound as though i'd taken any! so thanks for helping clear that up. well, talk to y'all l8er!

roguegirl15
They should do something t make em look more mature.They could change rogue's hair and actually make it redder.They could give Cyclops smaller glasses and they could make Iceman more built.I don't think it would ruin the movie people do change. happy They could also change logans beer problem...umm?

Swanky-Tuna
They didn't really originate in any culture since they form naturally. I'm sure tribes all over the world sported them back in days of yore.

wannabe
Hairstyles are definitly not the only method to make a character look unique.
Btw, the real problem is, that some artists tend to make all the bodies and faces look alike.
Take Brett Booth for example! His drawings are quite cool, but when you take a good look at the characters, you will see that they are pretty much clones with different costumes and colors, but nonetheless clones...that sucks! Unfortunately he's just one example out of so many.

Superheroes tend to be quite athletic and physically fit and i also understand, that good lookings sell better when it comes to the commercial aspects of comics BUT as a real good artist you learn, that there exist different types of bone- and musclestructures and different forms of faces that can look good without looking the same!!!

laurel lebeau
THANK you! hello! someone knows what they're talking about!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.