Mathematical proof.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

big gay kirk
The universe is infinite... but there are a finite number of inhabited worlds... any finite number divided by infinity is as close to zero as makes no difference... therefore no one exists....

MC Mike
You're throwing around huge theoretical ideas like they are set values.

dave123
it means that there are a minute amount of people per unit of space

but in an infinte space, there must be an infite amount of people

but inifinity divided by infinity must equal 1, and we know the population isn't spread out that way, so ALL of this is wrong smile

big gay kirk
I know... I just posted this in a vain attempt to attract the attention of Philosophicus and get him arguing about something pointless...... I was trying to take the heat off the rest of you guys....

peterKSL
There is nothing wrong with Philosophicus's arguement... it's just his bad habit which he likes to draw people to anger...

Clovie
blink
so we don't exist, fine with me

dave123
well no, it doesn't.... since we DO exist, as proven by the fact the product isn't 0

Clovie
when you devide something by infinity the result is very close to zero erm

dave123
but it's not 0, therefore SOMETHING must exist

Clovie
matrix eek!

dave123
it is not the spoon that bends.... youpi

Clovie
but your mind no expression

Bardock42
You stole that from Douglas Afdams, I hate you no expression

But The Universe ain't infinite

debbiejo
You know, I thought so..

Darth Revan
I was about to say the same... The universe is not infinite, it only seems that way, since if we traveled close to the edge of it we would find space-time "bending" so that it would be impossible to get to the "end" of the universe. Or something. geek erm

Clovie
you thought what? huh

big gay kirk
oh no... I've accidentally started a thread.....

big gay kirk
I'll let you tell them the universe's biggest imports and exports....

Clovie
excuse me? accidentaly?

big gay kirk
this is always happening to me.... I try to play Space Invaders, and end up on a totally different site talking bo**o**s.....

Clovie
i'm bo..something? sad

big gay kirk
no... not you.... talking bo**ocks.... its the English way of saying bs.....

dean7879
bollocks

Ushgarak
The easiest way to kick that one over is to try and count the number of UNinhabited worlds instead, as we know only a finite number of THEM exist as well. Therefore by the same logic, there are no uninhabited worlds.

As most leading philosophers would say, it was a load of dingo's kidneys...

MC Mike
This is a simple argument that has been finalized quite some time ago - the shape of the universe.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/ContentMedia/990006s.jpg
The density of the universe also determines its geometry. If the density of the universe exceeds the critical density, then the geometry of space is closed and positively curved like the surface of a sphere. This implies that initially parallel photon paths converge slowly, eventually cross, and return back to their starting point (if the universe lasts long enough). If the density of the universe is less than the critical density, then the geometry of space is open, negatively curved like the surface of a saddle. If the density of the universe exactly equals the critical density, then the geometry of the universe is flat like a sheet of paper. Thus, there is a direct link between the geometry of the universe and its fate.

Clovie
i understand NO single word of what you have just said sad
translation plz?

MC Mike
I'm just talking about the shape of the universe - people are blabbling on about how it is infinite - it IS infinitie IN A SENSE, but not fully.

Clovie
tx

Cipher
How do you divide by something that isn't a number?

Bardock42
I shall:

Imports: None: It is impossible to import things imto an infinite area, there being no outside to import things in from.

Exports: None: See Imports

You tell 'em aboot sex.

eleveninches
no
the universe is NOT infinite.

peterKSL
What comes after universe?

ladygrim
my sister is doing a-level phisics at skewl and she throughs stuff like this at me all the time it makes my head hurt sad

eleveninches
universe group.
then omniverse
then multiverse
then megaverse

Dexx
well...your first two statements are not proven.
if one was to assume the universe is infinite, why would there not be an infinite number of inhabitated worlds?
or the exact opposite.

and...even if for the sake of argument we would consider the universe infinite and the inhabitated worlds not infinite in number.
by dividing the two..you'd only get the size of the enhabitated worlds compared to the size of the univarse.....a weird form of percentage...
solved by mathematical limits. it goes for 0....which is logical

eleveninches
no finite things of unequal length can exist within an infinite amount of that thing.

Bardock42
Goddammit, this is a joke. Its from a book, a good one too.

big gay kirk
Thank you Bardock!!! At least someone got it.... although it is funny watching all these guys argue about it....

Dexx
well it's the philosophy forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.