Monster's Exist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
Warning: There are some disturbing parts to this story. It's very angst- filled, but it was an English Coursework of "Write a story showing how children and adults see things differently." If this story troubles you, I'm sorry, I can't help that, but please, accept my heartfelt apologies.

Monsters Exist

"Good afternoon, Professor Richards. How's the latest project going?"

"Oh, you know, mustn't grumble. Of course, it's been hard since we lost the last housekeeper."

Professor Richards and his daughter were at the village fete, perfectly presented, every hair in place.

"It must be hard on you, trying to raise Emilie *and* keep down a job. I must say, it was rather inconsiderate of Miss Smith to leave without any notice."

A mother and child ran past, racing for the old carousel. The little boy tried to keep as far away from the two men as possible.

"Since Aliss died, it's been hard. Emilie's a good girl, but... it's been hard."

As if noticing her for the first time, Professor Richards' companion smiled down at the young girl. "You're starting at the comprehensive over in Riversedge in September, aren't you, Emilie? You'll have to get up early to catch the bus, dear." The girl looked up, gave a polite smile, then hunched in on herself again.

Getting off the carousel, the young boy was arguing with his mother. "Come on, Tommy. It's the quickest way back."

"No. I don't like that man."

"Tommy! Don't be so rude! He's very respectable."

"He's bad."

"Professor Richards is anything but! You're always complaining that Emilie has nicer toys than you..."

~

The next day, Emilie was rushed to hospital. She was pronounced 'Dead On Arrival'. The police, investigating the suspicious death, discovered a hidden diary, underneath the bed in the girl's room. Despite her father's protests, the diary was brought to the social services attention.

Dear diary, Aunt Marie said I can stay with her over Christmas. I hope he says yes.

Daddy hasn't been the same since mummy died. He buys me wonderful presents, but...

The nightmares are getting worse. Sometimes, in the dark, I can't tell whether I'm sleeping or waking.

Mummy was wrong. Monsters exist. At least, human ones do.

I'm going to save up my pocket money. If I can buy a lock, maybe I can bribe Steven into putting it on my door. Then I'd have some peace. Daddy will be angry in the morning, but he won't do anything then.

I want to die. At least then there'd be some relief.

Why does daddy do these things to me?

Why does daddy hurt me?

~~

Again, I apologise if this was too disturbing, but things like this really do happen. Not to me, or anyone I know (thankfully), but they happen, all the same.

Phoenix
This was written when I was 14, so its not that good

Orlando Bloom03
2 Long......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.