Review: Constantine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soth
Constantine

The Plot:
John Constantine is gifted (cursed?) with the ability to see half-angles and half-demons that reside on Earth. Due to the horror of his situation, he kills himself at 15. He goes to Hell for 2 minutes before being resuscitated. After this, he become obsessed with the supernatural and the occult. He dedicates his life to sending half-demons back to Hell to avoid his fate of going to Hell, hastened by his being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

The Good Stuff:
Keanu Reeves surprised me with this. He didn't really have more energy, but his intensity and depth were certainly an improvement from the Matrix. The special effects were stunning, as was to be expected. The storyline was pretty cool too. I certainly didn't expect the ending. Tilda Swinton was excellent at Gabriel

The Bad Stuff:
The confrontations between Reeves and Djimon Hounsou's Papa Midnite were pretty ridiculous. Shia LeBouf also pissed me off a little. Other than that, some little inconsequential things here and there.

Was it Worth My Time?:
I do believe so myself, I enjoyed it very much

The Rating:
8.5/10 thumb up If you're a sci-fi fan, go see it

bilb
Cool, thanks Soth

alic88
i loved the movie

Cipher
Soth, have you read any of the comics that the movie is based on?
From what I know the character has been altered a lot for this film-
his look, his national origin, etc.

Thoma5
Yea this movie great juz watch it ytd!!!

seriph
i thought it looked really good, i want to see it soon, the trailers weren't very in depth though so i didn't really get much of an idea of the plot.

Soth
No, I haven't.

JohnConstantine
it was awesome

Korri
This movie isnt out over hear yet, but i can tell it oozes sex pimp

Soth
I wonder why wink

Korri
droolio

Storm
So I read. They didn' t believe Reeves could portray a convincing Brit, hence the decision to make John Constantine an American.

Anyhow, I definitely want to see this movie.

Myth
Wow, I expected another Riddick-esqe piece of crap that relies completely on CGI. I was very impressed. Although I still didn't like the scene in hell. It doesn't look like he is actually there. I hate when you can tell that they are dubbed in to a whole background.

juliano55
looks like a fantastic film

dragonpisces272
great film. you know how it is with music video directors...they are always on the verge for new ideas when it comes to visual effects, and anything that creates eye candy. That's what seperates a decent so-so video, with a "wow, I wanna see that again" kinda video. That's the impression I got with Francis and this film...
by the way, when it did come to the point of Papa Midnight, I can't really point out what he's trying to say. I can follow the storyline of the movie, until it comes to his part, when he diverges some information and makes it somewhat more complicated.

SaTsuJiN
Yeah this was definately worth seeing.. awesome flick

cal31
Yeah, the ending was a little hard to follow, but I read the novel afterwards and it made everything a lot clearer. Looks like a sequel is almost for sure now.

JohnConstantine
ya, thats wut i wanna hear

rajah kalantiaw
awesome film. too bad some assh*le talked through the whole f*cking movie. i just wanted to jump his ass. but he was old... and kinda intoxicated... at 4 in the afternoon.

anyways... i expected more of a horror genre but i was quite surprised on the amount of action and philisophy in it. it seems like heaven doesn't like playing by the rules either. there's always a f*cking loophole. go see it.

dragonpisces272
rajah kalantiaw>you never know what intoxicated guys could do if you jump them messed

At first, I thought the movie's storyline was gunna be all complicated and of the sort. But it was actually alright...I understood most of the concepts in the movie

ragesRemorse
The subject material was very entertaining. Even Keanu was interesting as Constantine. However, It seems that the writing around the girl in the film was either not finished or was forced into the film. she was an empty character whose special abilities came out of nowhere in a rushed manner. Some things were rushed, some were drawn out. The film itself appeared to be well made though, it was just the writing that was a bit off at times. I enjoyed it even through the minor annoyances. The major problem of the film is that there was very little action, but it all worked out in the end.

Marchioness
When I first watch it, I was shocked that the movie was awesome. When I watch the trailer I wasn't very interested. Two thumbs up.

alic88
i only wish that this movie could do better. 30 million in its first week i dont know if thats enough

RBlondie08
I thought that movie was really good! But all my friends made fun of me for it b.c. their not into those kinds of movies- But i thought it was really good!!

renaphooh
It was good but i didn't get the end sooo Gabriel was bad and why didn't Constantine go 2 heaven

alic88
coz devil believes he belongs2hell.. and will prove it2God

Storm
This is the best movie I' ve seen in quite some time.

ambermarie
SPOILER--

Because Lucipher took out the tar in his lungs.

Fire
Amber use the damn spoiler tags

Julie
nice review...I may yet see it...as a matinee or rental of course:-) got to save for ROTS..

BTW, bilb....is one of those women in your sig Jaina Solo???

b-dan
i saw it 2 times its cool long live blathazar

Soth
Originally posted by alic88
i only wish that this movie could do better. 30 million in its first week i dont know if thats enough $30 mil is a pretty respectable opening, actually

dizzyblondegirl
i saw the film on saturday it was great
however i couldnt help but notice that it was like one big smokers campaign with the close up on a packet of cigerettes saying smoking damages kills blahblah and at the end he's chewing nicorette gum

SpikeSpiegel
I thought it was a good film, but still it seemed to drag on a bit. I went for the nine o'clock showing. I expected it to be well after 12 when I got out but it was just after 11...

Clovie
i'd love to see this movie happy

keanu drooliolove *looks if korri is nearby* lookaround

Korri
yeah she is no expression.

eleveninches
I just saw this film, and have to say, IT ROCKS!!!!

Clovie
Originally posted by Korri
yeah she is no expression. *correct herself*

i'd love to see this movie coz keanu is so great actor happy eyes

Korri
sly madam Clovie, very Sly laughing out loud

Clovie
rather asecurative wink and there is no need to annoy you sweets hug

vaya_the_elf
Thought it was pretty cool.

Don't really have anything bad to say about it.

Korri
Originally posted by Clovie
rather asecurative wink and there is no need to annoy you sweets hug

s'kewl droolio

Im not easily annoyed smile.

ok yeah i am most of the time

Powerful_Dragon
It was a little scary.

Loving_Daniel11
Didnt like it

cal31
just saw it for the second time in the theater, just as good.

eleveninches
i thought it was a lot better than it had been shown in the reviews i read about it. Far better than i had expected

b-dan
this should be in comic book forums and theres tomany posts for this movie tis like u ppl just saw it this month

DanZeke25
I thought it was pretty good.

b-dan
this should be in comic book forums but i liked it alot Blathazar was my fav caracter

ragesRemorse
Why does this need to be in the comic forum? It is a god damn movie. Do we really need to put each movie in a forum of it's own genre? have you been to the comic book movie forum? There are very few conversations about comic book movies. That forum is useless.

Anyhoo. I thought the movie was really good. Although it diddnt focus heavily on the comics. It was a damn fine movie for it's genre of supernatural flicks. With the exception of absent fear, i was fairly impressed and drawn towards the dialogue and characters. Why is it, in most horror movies or even sci-flicks people are never scared? The girl just witnessed a horde of flying demons and she acts like she see's them every day. The writing was typical...save the world. The pacing, effects and acting saved me from feeling as though i had already seen this movie. The acting wasnt superb, but decent enough to get the point across, and create a tangible character. I love these kinds of movies, so i give it two more points than it actually deserves. 8/10

DanZeke25
I give it a 7.5, it was pretty good, and worth it. Hey, i only payed $2.50 for the rental. big grin

Lord Melkor
Very nice movie, but Satan was too stupid. He should heave predicted what Constantine is up to, he is dealing with humans for millenias.

grey fox
I found it a very good film , although the scene in hell was kinda creepy (all the people jumping each other freaky) though the ending sequence is brilliant from the ....SPOILERS BELOW

Shootout with the half-breeds 'you are to leave or I will deport you' to the very very cool 'Into the light i command thee' sequence .

sully_2u
how did he get to hell thru the cat?

grey fox
Something to do with 'objects that were loved' or it could be a nod to the Egyptians who believed cat's were the guardians of the underworld

Whirlysplatt
As a Movie it was Funsmile It was not "My John Constantine", niether was it Alan Moores original from Swampthing.

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/constantine/index.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.