Wondercon 2005

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VengeanceGOD
I just came back from the third day of this awesome event. It's held in San Francisco every year, and run by the same guys who do the San Diego Comic Con (which I'm gonna try and go to again this year). Anyone else go?

Highlights for me:
-The Serenity Panel: Joss Whedon, Nathon Fillion (Mal), Summer Glau (River) and Adam Baldwin (Jayne) all showed up for this, and put on an awesome panel. You can tell the cast of the show/movie are all really good friends in real life, and they were friendly with even the weirdest fans. They showed us a scene from the movie, which looks ****ing amazing. Also, Joss started the panel by bringing up John Cassaday and announcing they would be doing a second year of Astonishing X-men, ending with the first ever Astonishing X-men Annual. w00t!

-Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes: Jason didn't really talk, but Kevin was hilarious as always. The funniest was when both realized the poor sign language interpreter had to translate everything they said. I now know the sign language for "**********."

-The Batman Begins Panel: Christian Bale showed up, and he was a really cool guy. Again, they showed us a trailer that no one had seen before.

-The Hitchhiker's Panel: The exec producer of the movie was the lead guy, and he seems to actually understand Hitchhikers. Apparently, he was a personal friend of Douglas Adams before he died. The full theatre size preview of the movie (not the one I posted a couple weeks ago) is literally the best movie preview I've ever seen.

-Free Enterprise and Starship Smackdown III: Both fun panels, the movie (Free Enterprise, it's about two Trekkies who finally get to meet Shatner and realize he's insane) was hilarious, and the Smackdown panel came down to a draw between the Serenity and the NC-1701. I didn't have the guts to nominate the Astro Megaship/Megazord for the panel. wink

I also got to meet Ray Park (Darth Maul), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Rob Van Dam.

Lowlight:
-"Inside Episode III" with Steve Sansweet - You know those Hyperspace behind the scenes things about Episode III that have been out since this SUMMER? That's all they showed. **** you Lucasfilm.

Best Moment of the Whole Damn Thing:
-Right before I left today, I realized that I'd dropped a set of blueprints from Mallrats that I'd bought earlier in the day. Obviously, somebody made off with them and I never saw them again. In desperation, I returned to the View Askew booth to see if by some far off chance I could get replacements. The guy who played Steve-Dave in Mallrats was working the counter, and reeeallly didn't seem enthusiastic about the giving shit away for free idea. Then, who should walk around the corner but Kevin Smith. As I'm trying to remain dignified and NOT turn into a drooling fanboy, he says "We have the display blueprints, but they're a little ripped, you want 'em?" He gives me the stuff for free. AWESOME guy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.