Why Gandalf let himself fall down?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K3VIL
I mean, the Balrog was falling into the canyon, so there wasn't the need to fall down and continue fighting him.The Balrog wasn't able to fly, his wings looks almost destroyed, ruined, and this wouldn't grant him the chance to fly back on the bridge and kill the Fellowship.
Anyway i appreciate what happens, cause the fight during their fall into the cave under Moria was outstanding

Suzuka
I'm sure Gandalf had a lot of good reasons, but I don't know what they are. One may have been it was time for someone else to take charge of the Fellowship. He knew that sooner or later Aragorn was going to have to, so he wanted him to go ahead and get the experience? Also, I think Gandalf knew what he had to do in Middle earth, and I think he knew it wasn't his time. Therefore, he was ok with falling because he knew he was going to come back. He probably knew he was going to come back more powerful too.

But I wouldn't know

daronisgod
I agree with Suzuka, but I'd suggest he did know he would come back more powerful, that he knew this was something that needed to happen for them to win the war of the ring.

shadowy_blue
To get to the bottom. stick out tongue

LOL, seriously...

You are probably thinking of the movie version. In the book, the Balrog's whip pulls him down without him having the chance to hang on the cliff for a second.

In the movie, Gandalf lets go of the bridge for the reason that PJ probably thought it would be more dramatic, sad, and heroic. With all the Fellowship watching and Boromir holding Frodo back with the latter screaming "NOOOooooOO!" with its haunting sad music as Aragorn looks bewildered then dodges an arrow or two, and...ok, I think I'm getting a bit carried away, but the point I'm trying to make is that PJ was going for the dramatic.

Anyway, don't think I'm faulting PJ for the way he played the scene. I mean...

...would be hard to pull off to say the least. It's easy to imagine Gandalf's dialogue "Fly you fooooooooooollllsssss!!!",--the last sounds trailing off as he falls -- as silly.

PJ also probably wanted to demonstrate that this is not about two guys trying to get away from one another and save their own skin, but two Mighty Opponents trying to wipe each other out. When the balrog falls, he wanted to take Gandalf with him, and the latter doesn't "fly the coop" so to speak. He -- like the balrog earlier -- goes after him.

Not to mention the another possible reason that it was the heat of the cliff that caused Gandalf to let go. I mean, the fact that the Balrog has been standing and showing off his whip on it must have made it hot enough to fry eggs on. stick out tongue

The Inkeeper
did none of you think that he did something noble and dropped to actually fight and try to kill the Balrog. Do you know the damage that balrog could do if sauron called him out, or if he one day decided to go out anyway? Gandalf went down to finish it off because it was the greater cause? What would you do, fall and try to finish off the last of one of Melkor's creations, leaving the hobbits in the capable hands of he heir of Isildur, the son of the steward and Gondors greatest warrior, an elf from Lorien, the most intensly guarded stronghold in middle earth, and a dwarf from the family which assisted Gandalf 60 years before, or climb back up and leave the balrog alive to wreak havoc on middle earth and the next innocent party it comes across erm

shadowy_blue
I did. stick out tongue I pretty much covered the idea in my second to last paragraph.

Mandos
Are you paying attention to what she says Inkeeper, geesh!
laughing

The Inkeeper
i generally just read shads 'summing up' paragraphs now, my eyes hurt from all the letters stick out tongue

shadowy_blue
Hey! stick out tongue

Mandos
Well, that true shadow!
laughing

AragonIsKing
I think gandalf fell, not because he wanted to, but because the Barloq had to be destroyed. It was the creature that pretty much divided the Eastern and southern halves of Middle Earth. I think Gandalf felt that if the Barloq went on "living" then the "evil" in middle earth would never have been gotten rid of. He was pretty much the only guy that could kill it and he did what he had to.

AragonIsKing
Also, I dont think Gandalf knew he was going to come back. As you all may know, the "white" wizard is just one higher than "grey". Coming back to life was a reward but I think it's wrong to assume that he EXPECTED to come back. and just said "what the hell! I'll jump in! I mean, I'm coming back to life anyway..."

Mandos
I think Gandalf fell just because he wanted people to talk about him, like we do! laughing out loud

The Inkeeper
He fell because he was dillusional and couldnt hold on. His mental state can be clearly seen when he tells the fellowship to fly, even though for the 55 years he has known frodo and the many years he has known aragorn, neither they nor the rest of the company actually HAVE wings. But gandalf must have thought they did, and thus dropped because he thought he could fly back up.

no expression

Mandos
He changed white, revealing his true self... an albinos!

KPrince
According to the "Fellowship of the Ring" book, Gandalf was pulled off the bridge by the Balrog's whip as it fell. He had no choice in the matter, plus, Gandalf said to Frodo that "even the wise do not know all ends". Though referring to Gollum, it revealed that his fall in Khazad-dum was the plan of a much higher power--Illuvatar. The hidden theme in LOTR was that everything that happened, did so for a reason. Gandalf fell, because he was meant to--it was part of Illuvatar's plan. That was why he returned as Gandalf the White.

Mandos
Gandalf fell because he wondered if he could do a 360 from behind and still being able to grab the rock wihtout falling. Appearently he couldn't.

DarthLazious
Gandalf is one of the best Characters in all of Middle Earth besides Legolas.

Thorondor
laughing out loud do i detect a hint of sarcasm stick out tongue

lozer4life
im evil thats why

FeceMan
Also, Gandalf is a Christ-figure, so he was killed and returned to life. If anyone cares.

JediMasterLuke5
Gandalf fell so he could destroy the Balrog. And after that he became one of the most powerful Maiar to ever walk middle earth.

The Inkeeper
He still had the same amount of powers no expression

He could just use them more freely now.

And also, you are all incorrect in your pathetic assumptions, only my answer stands true thus far. Hail Me!

Elessea
Chris eek!

*pouts* you arn't talking to me on MSN...cry

The Inkeeper
If you were online, i would wink

JediMasterLuke5
Originally posted by The Inkeeper
He still had the same amount of powers no expression

He could just use them more freely now.

And also, you are all incorrect in your pathetic assumptions, only my answer stands true thus far. Hail Me!

Then why would he go on and on again about how powerful he is in the TTT? When he is Gandalf the White he is now able to defeat Saruman. Why would everyone be talkin about how powerful he is now that he has came back. "Dangerous" cried Gandalf " And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet." also " The Dark Lord has Nine: But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him." Gandalf is more powerful when he comes back and is now Gandalf the white.

The Inkeeper
No, he always had the same amount of power, but when he became gandalf the white he moved up a rank, and could use alot more of his power.

Like moving up in the army, the higher the rank, the more you can do.

JediMasterLuke5
Isnt that the reason he got Narya, the ring of fire Becuz he was already the most powerful of the Istari?

The Inkeeper
No idea. He got given it because they knew he was the best one i think, in Valinor there was a big scene where they picked 4 Istari to go over to Middle Earth and help the people their fight Sauron. Then for some reason Gandalf was picked to go also, and this majorly pissed off Saruman off when sombody said he wasnt the greatest big grin

Gandalf came over last, and got the ring.

Elessea
Originally posted by The Inkeeper
If you were online, i would wink
I was online earlier...and I am on now stick out tongue so there!

The Inkeeper
And we're talking.

Elessea
well...we weren't before roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Inkeeper
Your exceptionally hard to please.

Elessea
sad I'm...sorry hug I'm just really hyperish~

thomas231
Like what was said before the Balrog's whip pulls him down it was wrapped around his knees I believe. If I had to guess on why, I would have to say it was because PJ is a stroker who can't direct. After I watched all the commentary on the dvd's, he seemed to think by altering it he could make it better. Like adding the love scenes with the she elf. I mean come on, the nazguls would monkey stomp her any day of the week, it was Elrond at the fords who caused the flood and Gandalf who made the horses on the top, I might add it wasn't even her in the book who found them. Anyway, Gandalf was not the leader of the five Istari, it was Saruman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.