how is the lightsaber turned on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kip
i always wondered that because you never see them do anything to turn it on if you know please tell me or maybe its just turned on through the force or something

Sith Master X
There's a button that they push which activates the saber.

ARC Trooper 117
On some, it's a button. On others, it's a sliding-thingy....wacko

Ushgarak
It's dreadfully dull, I know, but as Liam Neeson once said in interview:

"It's a button! It goes on and it goes of! Look, I'm a Jedi Master and I am telling you its a button!"

(when asked by fans if it was the Force)

In the OT, it was a switch/slide.

Kip
ok dude i was just wondering

lil bitchiness
from starwars.com, its explained

big grin

Obi-OneManShow
Some Jedi turn their lightsabers on by slipping into something more comfortable and talking dirty to them.

Not to mention what some female Jedi do to turn theirs on...

Kip
ok dude i was just wondering

PVS
a little barry white and some fine merlot does the trick laughing out loud

bilb
laughing

Obi-OneManShow
OK Kip, was just having a laugh, wasn't trying to make fun of you. I wondered about it myself once, a long time ago. You gotta admit, the thread title kinda asks for it. Twas only a matter of time...

Obi-OneManShow
Kinda reminds me of that Simpsons episode (the Malibu Stacey one), when Smithers switches his computer on, a digital Burns mermaid appears who says "Hello Smithers... you're quite.... good at.... turning... me on"

ARC Trooper 117
laughing
You are one funny guy, man - if you are a guy, or, a man. stick out tongue

Kip
ok yeah i was kinda asking for it

Obi-OneManShow

carnage04
Not to disrespect the original poster, but if you watch the OT, Luke is very exageratted (Obviously pushing on it or whatever) ACTIVATING his light sabre in a couple of the scenes. Not to mention the Han scene in Empire. Personally, I think having to use the force to activate it would make more sense in the "Only force sensitives/Jedi use light sabres." theory.

Carnage

PVS
i disagree carnage.
a jedi must use the force to weild a lightsaber, in order to block laser blasts and whatnot. they can see things before they happen, and thats why they are
so good at it, as quigon put it. as far as turning the thing on, in itself its just another weapon. its a cool idea though, having to use the force to ignite it. kinda like a safety mechanism in case it fell in the wrong hands.

as far as turning on a saber, people can argue that luke used the force when he turned his saber on (utter nonsense, but how do you prove them wrong?).
the proof is in one man: han solo. he turned the saber on, so it must be a switch.

moonwalker741
how do you get me turned on roll eyes (sarcastic)

RottenDarthOne
If it's just a switch, and if I was a Sith, I would use the force on my opponents sabre and deactivate it in the middle of a duel.

Why didn't Maul do that?

(oh, just fantasizing, don't shoot me)

And if you want to see all the buttons just look at this pic...

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/user_sigs/customsig_47376_bG.gif

PVS
actually...thats a good idea
too bad you're not a jedi stick out tongue

Darth Subjekt
hey you used my sig to make a point.....YAY!!!! j/k....god people, just look at the toys...they all have buttons, how stupid can you be? j/k

smoker4
Tacos? http://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/disguise.gif

unknown hero
I just noticed, your Mace Windu sabre has a blue blade, surely it should be purple no? and where are Yoda's, Dooku's and Palp's?

jnolan
i read b4 he said that mace's and ki-adi's should be switched
and thats maces saber from ep.1 not the gold pimped out one from ep2

carnage04
Well, you may need to be force sensitive to use it well (Deflect blaster bolts, etc. However if I'm a common rogue, I'm trying to get one. At the very least I can use it to pick locks pretty easily. If someone catches you, you can at least throw the light sabre at them. In other words, it seems they could be a quite handy tool for the average joe.

Carnage

Darth Subjekt
I know,i didnt make it. Ive been meaning to ask PVS if he can fix it for me though...>cough< >cough<......i think its just that the names are backwards. I think it was made after TPM so that maight be why Yoda's isnt on there.

eleveninches
Lightsabers are switched on by: the 'On' switch

Red Superfly
I remember Samuel L Jackson in an interview (forget the TV show) around the time Phantom Menace came out. He said he keeps getting pesterred by fans who ask him how a lightsaber turns on:

Fan: "So how do you switch on the lightsaber?"

Jackson: "There's a button"

Fan: "But don't you use the force?"

Jackson: "No, button".

Kip
man theres alot more posts then i expected

SithSpy
LMFAO at eleveninche's "spoiler"

eleveninches
its SO obvious.

Ushgarak

Those are pretty much Liam Neeson's words when interviewed by Clive James. You sure you not mixing that up? Windu wasn't getting much coverage around the time of TPM, after all.

PVS
i dont know why neeson/jackson even bothered to answer such a stupid question. should have went like this:

Fan: "So how do you switch on the lightsaber?"

Neeson: "There's a button"

Fan: "But don't you use the force?"

Neeson: "look, i really dont do anything, i just stand there holding it and the ILM people just animate the blade igniting...thats all there really is to it"

Fan: so if you dont press a button...then you must be using the force

Neeson: *grabs fan by the shirt collar and smacks him in the face repeatedly*\
THERE IS NO FORCE!!! *SMACK* THERE ARE NO LIGHTSABERS!!! *SMACK*
THERE ARE NO JEDI!!! *SMACK* IT DOESNT MATTER!!! *SMACK*

LandoSpeeder2
laughing laughing laughing

Ushgarak
Like I said, Neeson's response when they didn't believe him after he said it was a button was to say:

"Look, I'm a Jedi Master, I'm telling you it's a button!"

Rogue Jedi
they just turn it on, man.

astrofan428
What made you dig this up man? stick out tongue

djprogram
Lets Imagine for a moment that this is 1976, The light saber in this era closely resembles a flashlight, remember the battery commercials back then? well the light saber switch was not in fact an on/off button, rather a slide switch.

The Biker Scout
Vader keeps his on as well In Empire when he throws it at luke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.