Terminator vs I, Robot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Konjammenson
I just saw I, Robot a couple days ago and couldn't help at notice how similar the story is to Terminator. Machines invented by humans, artificial intelligence that becomes totally self aware and finally, that AI takes everyting over and a battle begins.

Theres probably not too much that can be said in comparing these two films, but oh well, I havent been to this forum for a while and thought I should at least say "something."

I must say that one thing that suprised me about I, Robot was the CG. I actually put seeing this film off because I had an idea that it would just be a load of CG crap, I was right, but to my suprise it actually didn't bother me. A couple of scenes did but for the most part it was ok. If the CG (and we all know its going to be almost nothing but CG) in T4 is done in this way it could just be ok. But we all know Mostow, and we all know why we hate him, yea.......T4 will suck.

alic88
o ya when i saw that movie i cudnt help the fact either that it was so similar2 THE TERMINATOR, the concept was pretty much the same
and no mostow wont b doing t4 i m sure

TheFilmProphet
Cyborg: A person (or rarely, an animal) with bionic and/or cybernetic replacement parts. Often the replacements will have capabilities that the original biological components did not (super strength, telescopic vision, etc.). http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:cyborg

Considering the definition of the word and the fact that Will Smith's character had "cybernetic replacement parts" with "super strength" then I suppose the concept for I, Robot is incredibly similar to that of the Terminator films.

A cyborg joins force with a small group of human beings and together they battle an evil cybernetic/mechanical organism(s) that is threatening human existence.

They basically ripped off Arnie's character in I, Robot.

alic88
ya that was so stupid when i found out will smith was a cyborg, i forgot the ending i saw it some time ago. i mean, there was something regarding a robot seeing a sight of a bridge or sumthin gosh my memory sucks

vvvrulz
To be honest, while the concepts are similar, I never thought the two movies were that similar. Well apart from the fact that those cyborgs looked a bit like the T-1000.

I quite liked I Robot, very entertaining.

Konjammenson
yea, i like i, robot too

Cinemaddiction
We've been here before. "I, Robot" was a book long before "Terminator" was a movie, so if anything, Cameron used Asimov's work as a springboard for his own film.

TheFilmProphet
Actually I was referring more to the manner in which Will Smith's character was influenced by Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in the Terminator films and not whether or not the film was an original idea nor whether or not James Cameron "used Asimov's work."

DirectorFitz
I think I, Robot is more of a prelude to the Matrix Trilogy....watch The Animatrix and you'll know what I'm talking about.

alic88
oh ya 1 thing i always4get2post.. the music for I,ROBOT has been done by Maro Beltrami. the same person for t3

vvvrulz
Well T3's music wasnt that great anyway really.

alic88
ya it sucked i brought the soundtrack really couldnt listen2much of it. beltrami said he did try 2 fit in the t-theme into the movie but there was no scene in which he could.. A PART OF THAT REASON MIGHT BE COZ TERMINATOR 3 WAS NOT "TERMINATOR" STUFF

TheFilmProphet
I feel that the T2 theme could have been placed in at the end of T3 when all the missiles were falling and the camera was cutting to different views of Earth.

Anyway I feel that if T3 had not been made then perhaps the studios and executives would not have been as willing to bring I, Robot into production. Basically, No T3 no I, Robot.

vvvrulz
You really think so?

TheFilmProphet
Well you have to think about it,

With no successful "robot" movie for 12 years (1991, T2) and flops like Bicentennial Man it was no wonder that I, Robot had not been made sooner. Obviously T3 must have have offered some much needed push or incentive to make the studios and executives willing to gamble their money.

BICENTENNIAL MAN

Domestic Total Gross: $58,223,861

Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: December 17, 1999

Production Budget: $100 million

alic88
^ biccentanial man was a really stupid film. i just couldnt imagine Robin WIlliams as a robot at the first place. but if u look neutrally, terminator 3 was no a big flop when is came 2 money-making.420 million, it is good for a sequel. but for a terminator movie, all we needed was good pllot and we couldnt get it

TheFilmProphet
True, but the news of Warner Bros. releasing a $200 million budgeted T3 must have made them feel more confident about making an I, Robot.

vvvrulz
Bi-Centennial man was just crap.

I can see your point now though, I Robot might have been inspired by T3, but I thought it was far better.

Konjammenson
I would watch I, Robot over T3 anyday.

alic88
uh well i have gotten so tired of also watching t3 but if i had only seen them both once i would chose t3 anday. i,robot wasnt so good, it wasnt better than t3 in my opinion

TheFilmProphet
Both films were bad, but at least T3 had the original action star in it which is Arnold.

vvvrulz
Well it kinda gave him a bad name.

TheFilmProphet
True, but at least people know Arnold can still score a bigger movie than today's "action stars" like Will Smith.

vvvrulz
Haha fair enough.

pr1983
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
True, but at least people know Arnold can still score a bigger movie than today's "action stars" like Will Smith.

that is true...

but i-robot butchered the book imo... i didn't like it... it was a solid movie, but me reading the book beforehand made me biased...

as for t3... it was alright... but the end was a bit of an anti climax...

i've seen i-robot more times than t3, so i'd have to say i'd rather watch t3...

vvvrulz
I gotta agree, the ending was disappointing.

Is the book much better than the movie?

alic88
i hate the person who did the music for t3, marco beltrami, he just does music for every movie. i saw that movie CURSED, that stupid movie, he did the music for it

TheFilmProphet
It seems that Marco has "Cursed" every film he has worked on.

Sorry couldn't resist, stick out tongue

alic88
most definately has. i read in a magazine that the reason why beltrami didnt put the terminator theme in any of the scenes in t3 was because it was just not fitting in any scene, you know i think he got it right, a theme as good as terminator's didnt deserve to be played during t3

vvvrulz
Haha well said Alic.

I was bitterly disappointing at the opening credit sequence, SILENCE !?

pr1983
Originally posted by vvvrulz
I gotta agree, the ending was disappointing.

Is the book much better than the movie?

yes... they could have done more with the movie...

vvvrulz
Well without reading the book, I guess im none the wiser.

Ahnold
Originally posted by pr1983
I-robot butchered the book IMO ... I didn't like it... it was a solid movie, but me reading the book beforehand made me biased...

Hang on a sec ... I thought that the director {Alex Proyas} said that the film was meant to be a prequel to the book {hence why Bridget Moynahan's character is much younger in the film than in the novel}?

Originally posted by pr1983
As for t3... it was alright... but the end was a bit of an anti climax...

I thought that the ending was very daring, myself. Surely if they'd have blown up skynet at the end then T3 would have been a pointless entry in the franchise {since it wouldn't have really advanced the story at all since T2}?

Ahnold
Originally posted by alic88
I hate the person who did the music for t3, Marco Beltrami.

I too was bitterly disappointed with the music in T3: they didn't use the superb "Terminator" theme, and there wasn't music at all during several key sequences {e.g. the opening credits, and the car chase sequence}. Maybe with the silence he was going for a "haunting" and "suspenseful" atmosphere, but it just doesn't work ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.