Shaun of the Dead ~ Horror?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RavenNightstar
Alright, I had a huge discussion with my husband & his brother this weekend about "Shaun of the Dead". I say it's a Horror/Comedy, therefore still a horror! They just consider it a comedy! What do you think?

Cinemaddiction
It's definately both, and probably the best amalgam ever of the two genres.

Wolfie
Both. Though not scary, it is gory and features zombies, thus making it a horror.

tabby999
you cant say its not horror, there are zombies for christs sake. you didn't see any dismemberments in Dude Wheres My Car did you.

Jennifer_Tilly
Shaun of the Dead is both horror and comedy its a great movie to!

dean7879
horror/comedy
obviously

BackFire
It's a horror movie with comedic elements.

BlackC@t
I'd say a horror spoof. But whatever it was, I didn't like it no

PRO-PAIN
Just look at the front of the dvd case...

it says " A smash hit comedy with zombies."

Great movie though..

eggmayo
No, but it was pretty horrific.

RavenNightstar
Ah, thank you, everyone! I was getting so mad at them for saying that!

BlackCat ~ It wasn't a spoof, because a spoof makes fun of a certain movie. This is just a movie about zombies, and how these guys will get out of it! "Scary Movie" was a spoof, because it was mocking "Scream" & other horror movies.
If "Shaun of the Dead" had been a spoof, it would have been very similar to "Dawn of the Dead".

eggmayo
Shaun of the Dead is spoofy... as is Evil Dead 2

Norma Jean
And Scream was a spoof, yet still a horror as well.

Cinemaddiction
Take it from a spoof freak/expert, both "Scream" and "Shaun" weren't essentially spoofs. "Shaun" was an original idea with some solid homages, executing the genres elements perfectly.

"Scream" was a movie that made encorporated all the elements, made fun of them at the same time, then made their own. That's the genius of the film.

Wolfie
Don't spoofs have to be funny? Scream was not funny.

Cinemaddiction
Not necessarily, but that's what spoofs shoot for. Spoofs are slapstick, first and foremost. "Scream" was a parody of sorts, and there's a difference, really.

eggmayo
It was funny purely because of how annoying it becomes so quickly.

wishmaster
i didint like it i only laughed at one part but i bought it cause of the gore

wishmaster
long live vampiers

Darth_Big_Boy
It's RomZomCom!

stingray005
The intestine scene made me sick to my stomach. It pissed me off b/c the movie said comedy on the box.

tabby999
Originally posted by stingray005
The intestine scene made me sick to my stomach. It pissed me off b/c the movie said comedy on the box.

it also was about zombies. a quick read on the back would have let you know there was going to be violence, and i'm sure next to the rating on the cover they would have had something about the violence level in the movie

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by stingray005

You couldn't have been that oblivious, could you? stick out tongue

Wolfie
There are only zombies all over the cover.

And on the MPAA rating, it reads: R - ZOMBIE VIOLENCE/GORE AND LANGUAGE.

BlackC@t
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Not necessarily, but that's what spoofs shoot for. Spoofs are slapstick, first and foremost. "Scream" was a parody of sorts, and there's a difference, really.

Uh...it's called Scary Movie.

I thought Scary Movie was hilarious! laughing

stingray005
I was expecting a lot of gory scenes, but I thought they were for comedy not horror... or something like that.

KidRock
The funniest part of Shaun of the dead is when ED pulls the car up and says "sup niggas" in the highest tone of voice. it was hilarious.

Deano
i agree kidrock

heres the sequel ..u heard it from me first big grin

Pablo G
It's horror with comedy I mean take a look at the whole end sequence in the Winchester, pure Horror. The stand of with the broken bottles when David tries to kill Shaun's mom.

BackFire
Originally posted by KidRock
The funniest part of Shaun of the dead is when ED pulls the car up and says "sup niggas" in the highest tone of voice. it was hilarious.

Some people call that scene offensive. I call them retards.

Wolfie
People need to lighten up.

And Deano, I'll be waiting for that movie! stick out tongue

Deano
Originally posted by BackFire
Some people call that scene offensive. I call them retards.

so do i

i was laughin my head off at that scene

marie000
IN MY OPINION IT IS NOT A HORROR MOVIE I FELT THAT THEY NEVER TRIED TO SCARE THE AUDIENCE ONLY SPOOF.

ring3now!
It was crap anyway

phoenix87
Yeah definatly a comedy not a horror, but funny "look how drunk she is" very funny as is scary movie.

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by marie000
IN MY OPINION IT IS NOT A HORROR MOVIE I FELT THAT THEY NEVER TRIED TO SCARE THE AUDIENCE ONLY SPOOF.

Not all Horrors intend to frighten, it's the elements that have to be taken into consideration. Look at "Fright Night" or "An American Werewolf in London".

jnr hiphop
I haven't watched it but.. I think it's comedy-horror.. Like the Scary Movie series.. Correct me if im wrong pls..

Cinemaddiction
"Scary Movie" franchise are spoofs. "SOTD" was just a horror/comedy like I had mentioned before, like "Fright Night".

jnr hiphop
So.. they do try and "scare"? like other horrors..

basementred
shaun is a spoof just like all the scary movie series and the i know what you did last friday the 13th, and scream is not a spoof it is horror

BlackC@t
Good on ya' Wishmaster.

This movie was the worst piece of shit I have ever seen!

ilovedaniel
It's meant to be a comedy version/ horror version that takes the rip of the movie, dawn of the dead, i like this film but it is kinda groosum.
Nikki x

Goldenskull777
It's both but... I dont take the horror side to seriously.

b-dan
that a shity comedy thats trying to be a horror movie like eight legead freaks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.