Tolkien Reading

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

A.D. Skinner
So, since I am re-reading the Tolkien books, and I have seen on numerous occasions that others have not gone as far as to enjoy the written works of Tolkien...I thought that those of us that have could share...

The Hobbit ( Include as much or as little as you wish )

An Unexpected Party

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

Kitoky
I prefer Minas Morgul but okay. smile

PippinTook
So what exactly are we doing in here? roll eyes (sarcastic) Like a book discussion or something? Sorry, I'm half asleep...which is why I'm going to bed. Night all. And welcome back, Kit!! love I'm glad you didn't wait til May or whenever you were supposed to be coming back. We wouldn't have lasted without you haha. So joy! Kit's back! *throws confetti*

shadowy_blue
I'm not entirely sure but I suppose this is like the movie memorization thread? The only difference is that we're supposed to fill in the scenes from the book in this thread? confused Correct me though if I'm wrong. smile

OK..I'll continue..

LOL..that's all for now. stick out tongue I'm not even sure if I'm doing the right thing.

A.D. Skinner
Yes folks...this is like the movie memorization thread...but this deals with the books...since so many of us had said that there wasn't enough threads about the books...and please add any additional comments to your posts...extra comments about the plot or characters that you would like to add.

thank you for continuing Shadowy...and now I shall continue:

The Tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill-The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it-and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.

Exa
No going upstairs for the Hobbit: bedrooms, bathrooms, cellars, pantries (lots of these), wardrobes (he had whole rooms devoted to clothes), kitchens, dining-rooms, all were on the same floor, and indeed on the same passage. The best rooms were all on the lefthand side (going in), for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows looking over his garden, and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river.

(Wouldnt it be helpful if everybody copied the text from the one who wrote before him? Otherwise it will be a little confusing with the comments and stuff)

sauron
erm i think we should close this

copywrite reasons...AD you could be sued for it........

there was one like this before, but it had to be closed......

aw well, whatever lets just do it anyway stick out tongue

A.D. Skinner
Please post at your own risk...evil face

This hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The Bagginses had lived in the neighbourhood of The Hill for time out of mind, and people considered them very respectable, not only because most of them were rich, but also because they never had any adventures or did anything unexpected: you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking him.

Exa
ok copying the text so far:

...:
This thread is maintained and updated by fans of Tolkien, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the text displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books are held by their respective owners .

A.D. Skinner
The mother of our particular hobbit--what is a hobbit? I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of the big people, as they call us.

Smodden
ok...we have have to recite the book from memory?!

i'm not that good at that...can i look at the book?....and yeah i agree with sauron...can't somebody get sued or something? i'm not too sure...oh well...

Exa
no lol just copying from the books smile

sauron
no- nobody will be sued

because the hobbits right owners and chris tokien himself

are SO nice and SO generous that they will let us have our fun, im sure of it, i mean them all being so funny and good looking and just all round gorgeous, im sure a little thing like this they would let slip, because they are so kind they are like santa, and santa LOVES US ALL

that was incase any of them read this

Smodden
good ideawink

yeah chris is just great....all of the fam....forgiving, kind, sharing,....

shadowy_blue
OK..I'll continue starting from AD's latest post. smile

My comment: When I first read those descriptions, I fell in love with the Hobbits instantly. big grin They are just so cute and adorable! big grin

A.D. Skinner
As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit - of Bilbo Baggins, that is - was the fabulous Belladonna Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. It was often said ( in other families ) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was, of course, absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in awhile members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures.

Exa
Il copy everything again

oops I just found on the official site of the publisher that you should even ask for the permission only to quote any of Tolkiens books on you webpage... embarrasment

A.D. Skinner
Hmm, in light of this new information I do believe that we are infringing upon the copyright laws.

Exa
Well at least they want you to ask them for a written permission (a real one, no email messed ).... but thats stupid because nobody ever does that smile

... well and scripts are also available online, and, ehem, the publisher also offers the whole first chapter of the Hobbit online smile

A.D. Skinner
Maybe it would be better to just include those passages that we enjoy the most...ones that have caught our eye about how Tolkien uses his details and descriptions, rather than just copying word for work the books....

Sound good to anyone ???

sauron
lol i told you so stick out tongue

anyway, maybe if you just credit tolk......in every post...maybe youll get off

A.D. Skinner
Yeah, you told me ( credits Tolkien ), but it was actually Exa ( credits Tolkien ) that went and found the information ( credits Tolkien ) in regards to the copyright laws ( credits Tolkien )

Exa
From the FAQ on the official site:

"I would like permission to quote from Tolkien's works in my website. How do I go about this?

Please make a written application to the Permissions Department at
HarperCollins Publishers,
77 - 85 Fulham Palace Road,
Hammersmith,
London,
W6 8JB"

What the f**k?

*credits Tolkien*

shadowy_blue
yes Yes..sounds good to me..big grin *credits Tolkien* LOL..stick out tongue

Anyway, this may sound very stupid but anyone get this line? *credits Tolkien*

"I am a cook myself, but I cook better than I cook, if you know what I mean." ---Bilbo Baggins

*credits Tolkien*

LOL..I know Bilbo has some confusing lines sometimes that will really make you go "huh?" but I get pretty much most of them including the one during his birthday speech about the liking half of them half as well blah, blah, blah but this particular line above still confuses the hell out of my mind. I still can't figure out what exactly does he mean by that. Anyway, that's all. big grin Is it symbolic? Or what? Dude, Bilbs man, I don't know what you mean. laughing Sorry for the stupidity but I thought this is the best thread to ask about it. big grin

*credits Tolkien*

Anyway, Exa, just noticed your sig. And those are LOOOOTSS of people..laughing but thanks for having me there. big grin

*credits Tolkien*

Exa

shadowy_blue
Exa, I'm at school right now so I can't look at my book and find out from what chapter did I read it but I just have an off-topic question. smile What do those Elvish phrases in your sig mean? They sound so great. smile

*Credits Tolkien*

and yeah...S_B's fine. big grin

*credits Tolkien*

Exa

shadowy_blue
Oh, thanks. big grin Anyway, back on topic now, yes. yes Anyone get that line? smile

*credits Tolkien*

A.D. Skinner
It cannot be seen, cannot be felt
Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
It lies behind stars and under hills,
And empty holes it fills.
It comes first and follows after,
Ends life, kills laughter

shadowy_blue
Am I suppose to guess? big grin *well..not really guess..it's in the book..stick out tongue *

Dark!

*credits Tolkien*

my turn?

This wasn't in the book but I just thought of sharing since this is so cool and it is very, very related to what we're talking about in this forum. big grin

Millions of black ants:
The army marches forward in thousands of platoons;
In six brigades;
In three divisions;
All towards the One.

smile

*credits Tolkien*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.