When Democracy Failed - The Warnings of History

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0222-22.htm

amazing how history repeats itself so flawlessly.

Alpha Centauri
It amazes me how history repeats itself by us not being ready or seeing the repetition coming also.

-AC

Bardock42
What exactly does that mean anywqay, History repeats itself? I heard that a lot, but can't really see it.

speiderman
cough George cough dubya cough Bush cough

speiderman
good article. Articlates what is happening around the world. History does repeat itself.

Bardock42
Great one more that said that

What the hell Alexander only once conquered Persia, Roman Civil war and the rise of Cesar (wait, only once) Charles the Great, only once became Caesar of the Holy Roman Empire I don't get it, what do you mean with that statement, of course you can try to make something like Yeah thetre was a revolution in the Us and then in france (but that was a whole ****ing different thing)

yerssot
actually, historians place the french revolution and that in the US under one big Atlantic Revolution

Bardock42
Well then when did this one big atlantic revolution repeat itself.

Are you sure? I mean they are very different from every point of view.

Ushgarak
What an utterly tiresome comparison!

yerssot
go to a history prof, they do

Ushgarak
Go to some profs and they might. Plenty won't.

Bardock42
Well I belive you, I am just saying that I can't understand why, but well I am not a historian so....

yerssot
well, they explained it to me last year... but I believe I was either asleep or reading a book

Bardock42
Thats not good really, History is important and/or interesting

Ushgarak
Just to be clear, my 'tiresome' comment was about the link in the opening post.

PVS
you dont have to be. read it and formulate your own opinion, rather than debate my own opinion of it.

yerssot
hey, he nagged, he had it comming stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Seriously, though, the opening piece is a flawed piece of work, and particularly discreditable in adjusting the circumstances and, critically, the timing of Chamberlain's agreement to try and force a square peg into a round hole.

This article would not pass as a reasonable and researched comparison in a basic history class for 14 year olds. It is absolutely dreadful.

Cosmic_Beings
Yeah, history will repeat itself! George Bush will kill millions of Jews, homosexuals, and disabled people in an attempt to clense the human race!

Idiots.

yerssot
I take idiots refer to something else than the theory history repeats itself?

Cosmic_Beings
The idiots that are comparing Bush to Hitler are idiots. no expression

PVS
no expression

yerssot
you can always compare people, it would be a problem if they say Bush and Hitler were equal in monstrocities

PVS
exactly.
i cant stand how people refuse to believe that those in power pay close attention to the ways in which hitler and many other leaders corrupt or otherwise managed to keep their population under control as they went ahead with a radical agenda. people always stretch the arguement to its extreme.
it's instantly translated as "bush wants to be the next hitler, recreate the third reich, and kill all the jews".

people refuse to see any truth and have to use strawman tactics to label anyone who would raise these points as a wacked out conspiracy theorist.
its easy to 'win' the arguement that way.

Jackie Malfoy
I can't see it happening either.Coughkerrycough! laughing We are good so far so I doubt it if that will ever happen.JM Happy Dance

Linkalicious
The only thing about history that keeps repeating itself is that the most powerful governement at any given point and time feels/believes that their way of governing is THE absolute best way to govern a nation.

And in often enough cases, that particular government feels compelled to change other governments to be similar to their own.

speiderman
I think the U.S. is following doctrine that led to the collapse of the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire spent all its time forcing small provinces to adhere to Roman law and thus eventually got weakened through overuse of resources.

PVS
really JM do you feel obligated to post something in EVERY thread
regardless of whether or not you understand the topic?

speiderman
JM's posts are cute. I don't have a problem with her posting stuff.

yerssot
WD > there are quite a lot of other things that repeat itself too, not only that

speiderman > you should read more into the roman history, not ALL provinces were strictly governed to follow their laws to the letter

WindDancer
huh

PVS
i think he means Linkalicious

WindDancer
I think he is losing it. stick out tongue

yerssot
what the heck? I could have swore WD posted that blink

Bardock42
Getting old, eh?

PVS
yerssot just had a 'senior moment' laughing out loud stick out tongue

soleran30
So is this is what is going to happen to Democracy and other World Govts?

PVS
HOLY ANCIENT THREADS BATMAN!!! eek!

ElectricBugaloo
well as long as this is here, might as well post this from TPM Cafe about something a little more recent

Deano
history is repeating itself.
i said this before.

if history repeated itself..would we even notice?

Nazification: the foisting of the totalitarian pattern on a country, including state support for corporations, militaristic imperialism, suppression of constitutional freedoms, and the seizure of dictatorial power by the regime in control.

"Totalitarianism is a form of government in which the citizen is totally subject to absolute state authority in all aspects of day-to-day life. The term was created by Hannah Arendt in order to illustrate the commonalities between Nazism and Stalinism."

http://www.hermes-press.com/nazification_step4.htm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.