Comic books are for losers that cant get a life ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Max Spidey 24
( I disagree )with that but I heared this so many times its not funny.

They say super heroes/comics are for nerds,losers,cant get a gir/boy, no life, 13 and under(for little kids) and the people that have a life then they would only like the movies.

Who agrees or disagrees with this(also state your age

Alpha Centauri
Half those people run home to watch the O.C, which ironically has less believable characters.

I love comics and I'm proud of it.

-AC

smoker4
I agree, graphic novels however are ok (Smoker4 30 earth years old)

Max Spidey 24
Lol they probaly do go to watch shows like that . How old are you guys

dean7879
i read books
not comics..not thats there is anythin wrong with comics

WindDancer
Hey, I like Batman and I love the comics so label me a geek or nerd all you want.

WD is 28 yrs. old. batman

Max Spidey 24
what kind of books

WindDancer
I'm willing to bet you're an occult book reader.

Afro Cheese
I never got into comics personally, except Calvin and Hobbes when I was little (if you count that), but that doesn't mean I'm not a loser who can't get a life.

dean7879
i like thriller/horror novels
stephen king is my fav

dean7879
i just finished reading davic ickes book - the biggest secret big grin

Imperial_Samura
I agree with what is being said, its just an outdated stereotype that all comic fans are really Simpsons comic book guys (a great character he is though). I am a fan of comics, and books, but by Jove, it also appears I have quiet a good life as well. They are a past time as best, not a defining feature of life, or some how indicative of personality.

Smasandian
Its funny how people say the people of OC are worst and comic books rule because the main character in that show is a comic book freak.

I enjoy comics but I dont really anymore, I found videogames instead.
But comic books are mainstream now so I dont think that label is bad anymore. Half the movies that do well are from comic books now.

pr1983
i've been readin comics since i was 6 (i'm 21 now), i have a girlfriend and a life...

that doesnt stop me looking forward to new comics being released...

ragesRemorse
Never understood that term " get a life"

growing up i never really got bashed for reading comics, maybe in 4th grade. I've never really experiened that sterotype that fellow comci readers claim to have gone through. comics are rampant with metophores and philosophies. I think they can be very thought provoking.

SlipknoT
I used to be really into comics

Alpha Centauri
Why not anymore?

-AC

Silver Stardust
I love reading comics...

I'm 19, btw.

OB1-adobe
I have 500 comic books, 300 of which are superman

I like art, I like fantasy, sue me.

I just ordered some of those DC archives books of Batman, and I am planning to get all of those, and Superman's wich comes to about 20 books, 40-50 years of history in the making.

Is 500 comics a pussy number to have? Cuz I know there are guys that have like thousands upon thousands.

oh and I'm 25

Arsenal
I'm into comics. I have about 350 and I'm 17, soon to be 18. By the way who says that?

Silver Stardust
I don't even have most of mine anymore...got destroyed when we moved 4 years ago and our basement flooded. I used to have something like 300 various comic books...which for a 14 year old girl is pretty good, I think laughing out loud Most of mine were X-Men and Spider-Man.

Now I mainly read manga/graphic novels, though. Much easier to keep track of for one thing.

vaya_the_elf
I'd have to disagrees with it. Reason being is because I love comics, and i know other people who do to. Like my foster dad. He is not a loser. He is a computer programmer, and use to be a chemist. Makes good money. Has a wife, and two kids(including me). Also has friends, and nice parents.

mouth
i sometimes still read archie when i'm on the shitter and i came to the conclusion that maybe Jughead's gay and that's why he don't like them women

Capt_Fantastic
I love comics. In fact, I don't know of too many people who don't read at least one title. All of my friends do, in any case. I have come across a few people in my time(25 years) that feel this "stereotype" applies. However, they never held it against me that I read comics...or still collect toys...or watch Star Wars all the time.

Silver Stardust
Star Wars is freaking awesome big grin

DarkAge
Exactly, take Dark Knight Returns for example. It's so stupid how some people (like my sister) regard comics as being only for children then go and watch mind-shrinking mental pollution like Summerland. I read comics and I've got a girl, go figure. My age is 19.

Imperial_Samura
Yes, especially as so many comics these days really do have more mature story lines, deal with social issues and, at least in Australia, can be quiet expensive. Its a nice, enjoyable hobby that's really only put down by those biased groups, most of who have never even read a real comic, maybe glanced at Garfield and base there opinion on that.

DarkAge
^ I like that quote in your sig, who said that?

Imperial_Samura
The man himself, H.P Lovecraft.

DarkAge
*Googles him* Hmmm, interesting. Seems like a deep guy.

Imperial_Samura
Yes, some interesting views, and a good writer, even if it seems no one has read his horror stories.

BlackC@t
I agree and disagree.

Some are losers, most are not.

Silver Stardust
...that can be said to be true about everything, though.

BlackC@t
It certainly can yes

SaTsuJiN
I definately disagree.. because the people that say that arent into comics.. thats like if I said... car lovers are mainly jocks and male whores... I dont like cars.. so that obviously cannot hold any pure truth.. those people dont like comics.. so how can they be correct?.. if anything, comic books inspire people to become artists.. just like car lovers perhaps aspire to become professional racers.. I never (or at least try to never) take a steaming shit on anything anyone likes.. if you like it.. go for it.. and dont ever look back wink

ragesRemorse
I think a great deal of people know and have read lovecraft. He just isnt the most easy read.

Imperial_Samura
True, true. Just depends on the part of the world. Here in Australia he can be pretty obscure. I guess I was generalising, something I really need to stop doing. yes

jaden101
personally i dont like or dislike comics...i do however dislike rubbish films made from comics...this perhaps taints my view of the comics themselves

my main problem is that i just dont have enough time in the day to pursue such a time consuming hobby on top of my love for films and books...and not to forget comp games...on top of the fact that i go to the gym 5 days a week for anything up to three hours...i study forensic science at university and i also work 25 hours a week

and not to mention posting on forums for a couple of hours a day

and going out a couple of nights a week with my friends

so comic books...as good as many of my friends say they are...just aint gonna be part of my life for the time being

Alpha Centauri
Lump me in with the comic geeks rather than the populars any day of the week or year.

-AC

jaden101
and why do they have to be 2 separate things...a mate of mine is a massive x men comics fan...he also happens to run one of the most popular live music venues in town and is a total god of the social scene in my town and is massively popular

being one does not eliminate you from being the other

Linkalicious
young or old...boy or girl.....everyone needs a hero!

PVS
i never really read comics, simply because its not my thing.
however i could give a rats ass what people would think about me if i DID read them, and the thought that others would try to pass judgement on someone over a simple hobby makes me want to read comics just to spite them.

A4E
I never read comics... I don't find them interesting... but no not because some guy reads comics means he's a loser that cant get a giril, that's just pathetic...
I read books... I love books...
OH! wait!! i think i once read a tin-tin comic yes does that count??

Silver Stardust
SAME HERE.

A4E
depends if its a friday night with the popular ppl tuesday afternoon totally with the comic geeks happy

Bardock42
Friday night with the "popular" people? Oh shit, I pity you my friend

PVS
well, since im a star wars fanatic, i guess i'm viewed as even lower than comic book geeks among the 'sophisticated' crown roll eyes (sarcastic)

A4E
but I like parties cry who doesnt?

Bardock42
Not necesarrily I am a Star Wars Comic fan

Silver Stardust
Oh, PVS, I've got you beat...

Comic Book fan
Star Wars fan
Plays RPGs
Cosplays

...can't get much nerdier than that, and that's only the tip of the iceberg! laughing

Silver Stardust
I don't, I'm not a party person.

Anyway, popularity is a socially transmitted disease stick out tongue

Bardock42
What are Cosplays? What the f**k?

Alpha Centauri
*Puts box glasses on Lana*

Voila!

-AC

A4E
lol star wars is fine imo erm and I dont think that "social classes" are that marked... i mean there usually are just geeks and populars, in both groups there r amazingly retarded ppl and very cool ppl

Bardock42
Me they suck ass.

Silver Stardust
Cosplay = making and wearing costumes of characters you like from movies, anime, etc...laughing out loud

AC, I already wear glasses stick out tongue

Bardock42
Hey don'T forget goths A4E

A4E
ironic

Bardock42
Ok hmm I don't do that, but I watch all that nerdie shows were people have lifes instead of having one o#f them myself.

A4E
oh yeah

Bardock42
Oh wait and I play Warhammer, pasteurize that....

A4E
Im pretty geeky too
I watch alias and LOST (cheesy I know)
I go on KMC (stick out tongue)
I read a lot

but i do..."popular" stuff too
I go to parties
I play football (mostly rugby though)
and I watch ESPN (only tennis though and ice hockey)

and I do strange stuff too
I like dancing
and I like jumping (no expression)

Bardock42
parties sick

Bardock42
Oh by the way I hopwe you mean Football when you say football even though I doubt it since Football has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with Rugby. Please call it American Rugby from now on.

lil bitchiness
Tru.

I HATE The O.C! Abslutely loathe that show.

A4E
lol random lines... stick out tongue
and when I said Football I mean....soccer messed
American Football's aiight tho

OMEGA_05
I used to read comics but now I cant find were to buy the
comics are also very F*ck*ng expensive and in oder for you to fully understand a character you have read from the begining of the characters live.

But know I cant find myself reading another dawm comics

A4E
OC?

Silver Stardust
OC = really shitty TV show.

Magee
You know its really annoying seeing sum of u say "parties suck" and "popular people suck" (to one extent or the other) when u r getting angry at people stereotyping comic book readers, it is a little hypocritical, no?

I personally love comics (although i dont really buy them any more) and i dont know wat u class as a 'life' but im 15 and spend most of my time... partaking in the use of, how u say... ilegal 'rock', lol.

Silver Stardust
I've had a lot of bad experiences with the popular people at my high school.

And I don't like parties. I'm not a party person. I'm too damn shy to ever feel comfortable at a party and I'd rather do other things with my time.

A4E
ok lol so wut deos OC stand ffor anyway??

and magee is right, ure all a bunch of hypocrites!! stick out tongue schmoll

A4E
thats fine but some ppl here say "popular ppl suck" and well they are hypocrites not all popular ppl r the same nor all geeks r the same (Im sorry to call them geeks but I dont know other word, sorry if i offend anyone)

Alpha Centauri
"Tru. I HATE The O.C! Abslutely loathe that show."

We agree, shock horror.

It's true though. Spider-Man is more likely to be real than half the people that are on that show.

-AC

Silver Stardust
I don't think anyone ever actually said popular people suck. What they DID say is that they'd rather be classed as a comic book geek than a popular person.

A4E
there r tons of Popularity threads here Im sure there r a few ppl who said that

Jackie Malfoy
I read comics book and I am not a loser(dispite what some of you may think that is!) laughing

s|m
I read books. Please dont get me wrong, but the whole point of reading is to visualize; comics are for plain lazy ppl, or just begginers in reading (like 6-year olds).

Julie
reading comic books is not a sign of intelligence

Silver Stardust
I don't think anyone said it was....

A4E
nor do I

Julie
the title implies it

A4E
no it doesnt

Silver Stardust
It doesn't in any way confused

PVS
so basically, if someone states that comic books are NOT for losers...they are saying that comic books make one intelligent?

s|m
Nope, neither are books/movies; they're just a form of entertainment erm.
If you were born an idiot, you stay that way for the rest of your fecking life.

A4E
lol

Linkalicious
Wow there's a lot of OC ripping on this thread.

The OC stands for Orange County. It's the county directly south of Los Angeles.

Basically, it's LA without the smog, over population, and ghettos.

And believe it or not a lot of people from Newport Beach are actually just like the people on the show. Except I don't believe any of the schools in Newport Beach have a "Debutant ball" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
Well OC is pretty bad. I watch it anyway though, the girl is so darn hot, and the funny guy who likes ciomics is great (well that are the only reasons though).

And just because I say parties suck I don't say that "popular people" (popular by whom, by themselves maybe) suck I just say that I don't like to go to parties, neither do I want to say that Comics make one intelligent, I just don't think that people that read comics "need to get a life".

Fire
idiotic statement

Bardock42
Mine?

The Omega
Hm, I feel compelled to write...
"People who condemn others as loosers based on a hobby, are the real loosers."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.