My Picks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
i know most of you are metal heads

well...im not...im far to mellow and old to be listening to teen angst music anymore

here is my picks for the bands to look out for this year

Bloc party
kaiser chiefs
the futureheads
babyshambles

as for other stuff i am currently listening to

well...counting crows ad ryan adams are always going to be top of that list (waits for flaming insults of "wuss" etc)

also listening alot to

the libertines
the pattern
my vitriol
biffy clyro
whiskeytown
joni mitchell
josh ritter
goo goo dolls

i know i have lost all respect i had gained in my whole first day on the board...but fff..so what...i might as well get the flaming out of the way early

laughing out loud

Libertine
Oh my God the Libertines are one of my all time favourite bands.
And im getting bloc party's new album, silent alarm. Kaiser chiefs are amazing, i really like oh my god and i predict a riot, the futrueheads are great, they also eaved just round the corner from college in Sunderland, and Babyshambles, well, anything with essence of th libertines is great with me. Im also looking forward to hear some of carls solo stuff.

jaden101
well well well...a rare thing in cyber space...to meet someone that like proper music eek!

Libertine
Well thank you. I was getting a little sick of all the heavy metal talk too, as you can see i got a little over exctied when i saw this thread.

jaden101
and i might as well add

silent alarm is pure gold from start to finish
kaiser chiefs :employment? isnt out yet but ive got it...good ol bit torrent...the album as a whole is a lot mellower than i predict a riot and oh my god would suggest...quite poppy in fact...top stuff though

also listening to

the bravery: honest mistake
the stands: all years leaving
delays:faded seaside glamour

Libertine
Delays are good, im not very partcial to the bravery although they did do a good live set during the NME awards.

jaden101
yeah...i agree...it gets a little to hard to handle sometimes...most of the forums im on are over colonised by metal fans...

not taking anything away from the genre of music because it takes great talent...particularly the drums

but it just aint me anymore...i dont have the anger in me to be fed by that style of music

and on a separate note

do you not just FECKIN hate the way the media wont get of pete docherty's back...let the guy get on with being the flawed genius that he is...the british music scene desperately needs people like him...im sure the media see him as a blemish on the sterile and meticulously clean landscape that is celebrityville...

utterly pathetic given that it is the media and journalism areas that have the biggest junkies and coke heads of all

Libertine
I know. I mean im chuffed that he wants to clean up now, but the sun took all the credit for it, and that they were the ones that convinsed him to do it... ****ing stupid. Poor Peter.

Deathblow
What an incredibly arrogant thing to say.

room #99
Not all metal is about teen angst. most of it isnt

jaden101
its called a joke...you know what they are...right?

then again...perhaps irony and sarcasm are not easy to get across on an internet forum

my apologies

jaden101
see above post

room #99
okay beer

Deathblow
Please don't patronise me. I don't know why so many people insist on trying to cover up their stupid comments by saying 'oh it's just a joke'.

jaden101
cool...and by that emoticon then i guess the drinks are on you...make mines a JD n C...cheers thumb up

jaden101
look...if you dont like other peoples opinions of the music you like then tough ****ing shit...thats the way the world works...feel free to go and take a swipe at whatever music you like but dont resort to petty personal insults...

Deathblow
I'm sorry, but I have a right to defend my opinions, and challenge others. That's basically what a 'discussion' is.

And I have said nothing personal to you, but if you feel like taking whatever it is I said that you found insulting personal, go right ahead with your swearing and ranting.

jaden101
nothing personal...i would think that refering to my post as a "stupid comment" would be regarded a personal insult

regardless...

feel free to give your opinion...and yes you are correct...thats what these discussions are for...but i would prefer if you aimed your opinion at the bands that are being discussed

i personally keep out of the metal threads because i dont have much like for the genre of music...then again...i dont keep up with the evolving genre anymore (i used to be a sepultura fan and other such music) but because i no longer have a connection with the music so i dont go into threads and post about it or the people that do listen to it

as for my swearing and ranting...hey...im scottish...its practically the law here laughing out loud

Alice_In_Chains
Libertines r great and im loving babyshambles..so yeah whoo hoo and all tht

Deathblow
It was really more of a general comment, but I understand.

I'm sure you would, but I'm afraid if you post your opinions in this forum your going to get challenged a lot, even over things you just say in passing like what you said above.

That's cool, you like whatever you want to like, obviously. But contrary to what you seem to have assumed about me, I'm not just into metal, I have a very wide musical taste, as have many members of this site. Matter of fact, I've like My Vitriol for some time now, and judging from the indie/alternative style list you posted, it's highly likely that there are more bands we both like.

Glad we cleared this up anyway, I hate off-topic arguments pinch

Oh and by the way, never be afraid to say what you want to say, this isn't the kind of forum that has one collective view and flames anyone who has differing opinions. Besides, you clearly have good taste.

jaden101
cool my friend...i look forward to discussing more music related tomfoolery with you soon

thumb up

Libertine
Well after reading all of that my head kind of hurts, so lets get back to topic.
Does anyone here like Razorlight? I think some of their songs are good, but loads of people i know dont like Johnny Borrell, so they refuse to listen to them. I think its stupid to not listen to a good band just because of that.

Alpha Centauri
Not a fan of most British bands out at the moment. Only two British albums impressed me as a whole last year.

Joni Mitchell is excellent.

-AC

Libertine
Er yeah. Anyone else?

Df02
those are bands to be listening out for last year lol confused

jaden101
what were the albums???

jaden101
razorlight are a great band...hopefully catch them at one of the festivals this year

i heard them do an acoustic version of vice at the V festival on 4music last year...that was superb...and ya gotta love stumble and fall...brilliant tune

just went a bought a rare limited edition JET ep today with some new stuff and some cool live versions as well...

Libertine
Cool. Well last year was about new bands, but this year i think its gonna be mostly follow ups and new releases from old bands. Theres going to be the foo fighters, muses new album, and stuff like that, and people like Franz and Snow patrol are going to be writing new material. I know Franz already have so theirs migh be soon.

jaden101
ive never been a fan on franz ferdinand for some reason...just cant put my finger on what it is i dont like about them...not a fan of muse's albums either but i saw them live at T last year and they were superb...

another band ive never really gotten into was kasabian although i saw them just on the verge of going big playing at the pub my mate runs and spoke to them...they seemed like cool guys although the press makes them out to be more arrogant than they are

the main stuff im waiting on this year is another 3 albums (including a double) from Ryan Adams...he released 3 albums last year as well...he's the only artist i know who releases such huge amounts of material...

cant wait...cold roses comes out next month...hhoooaaahhh

Libertine
Ryan Adams? Im not being funny or anything but i think im gonna get that for my mam for her birthday. Sorry if that sounded as if im takeing the piss but i was really stuck on what to get her.

I love muse. Well obvously. I like Franz too, and kasabian are alright. Im gald that when you said you didnt like them you didnt start saying horrible petty things about them like other people do which really annoys me.

jaden101
well if your ma like Ryan (not Bryan) Adams then you must have a cool ma...

give him a listen...see what you think

http://songs.allofmp3.com/mcatalog.shtml?group=7422&album=3

i recommend "so alive" "this is it" and "wish you were here"

Libertine
ive been listening to him all of the time cos my mam like all sorts of music. Ive actually got her intrested in the Libertines. In up the bracket her fave song is Up the bracket and on the libertines her fave song is what katie did. I love the fact she likes them so i can listen to them in the car.

Alpha Centauri
The only two great British albums of 04 were Uh Huh Her by PJ Harvey and Pearl Necklace by Colour of Fire.

-AC

jaden101
good choice in pj harvey...havent heard the other album...i'll check it out though...thanks for the recommendation

Alpha Centauri
Colour of Fire's debut is the best album out of the UK that I've heard since Hail To The Thief by Radiohead.

-AC

AragonIsKing
Yeah! Hail To The Thief! Thats a superb album. I'm more of a Pink Floyd fan myself, but I like all kinds of music. I dont prefer listening to "nowadays" music much but I've heard a couple of good tunes floating out there. I heard THE KILLERS and I thought they were good. Has any of you ever heard of Dream Theater. That's a band with "oh my gosh! Look at that s**t!" talent. Check em' out. I recomend their songmessedtream of Consciousness.
Another band I bought was The Coral. They made an album entitled Skeleton Key and it is too, very catchy. I reccomend them also.

AragonIsKing
I'm sorry about the accidental smiley face. The song I reccomend from Dream Theater is "Stream Of Consciousness" Really, check em' out. You cant deny their greatness.

Alpha Centauri
Why are you assuming we don't know Dream Theater?

-AC

room #99
eveyone knows dream theatre.

daronisgod
I'd like to know what you consider far too old?
Like someone else said not all metal is teen angst type stuff.

My favourite band is System Of A Down and I'm 37. Like I said just today on the Official SOAD board, I'm the same age as Serj and if he's not too old to play his music, I'm not too old to listen to it.

We don't all mellow with age, so unless you're like 60+ or something, I find that comment incredibly insulting.

room #99
i said that

Jaden101 have u heard Opeth ? if you havent im sure you will like them! tottaly suitable for old people like you stick out tongue

jaden101
hahaha...old people like me...lets put it this way...im not 37

as for daronisgod finding my post insulting...good for you...i dont see whats insulting about it myself but if its insulting then thats pretty much tough titties...wasn't meant to insult...wasn't meant to offend so i wont apologise for it

im actually 25...and i did mellow with age...maybe its not the age...maybe its that i dont have the same emotion portrayed in a lot of metal...namely anger...

room #99
okay man have you tried opeth ? smile

daronisgod
I found it insulting because you seem to think that there's some age limit to what music people can listen to, some of us will listen to whatever the hell we like and some of us get boring, that certainly isn't true for everyone. If you want to be wearing slippers and a cardigan and smoking a pipe by the time you're 40 thats your call, doesn't mean we're all like that, it might be "tough titties" but it doesn't stop me calling you out on it.

You also seem to have closed yourself off to an entire genre of music, not insulting but it does make you seem narrow-minded, when you clearly haven't listened to anywhere near enough of it, there are some "metal" bands that cover a huge range of emotion in their music, not just anger, this you would know if you bothered to listen to any of them.

If you don't like a genre of music just say so, stop pigeon-holing any band that comes under that label, it makes you look extremely narrow-minded.

I'll listen to anything I like, I couldn't give a crap what genre it is.

Trust me you don't want to be making yourself older than you actually are because one day you will be and then you'll be sorry you didn't make the most of it.

BTW its pretty pathetic making fun of someone because they're older than you... one day you'll be 37 and someone your age (25) may make fun of you too. It isn't very nice. I merely pointed out that I found it insulting that you seem to think that older people shouldn't listen to certain types of music. There was no need to be so nasty about it. sad

Cinemaddiction
Let me say this.

Being new to the forums and all, nobody knows you, or your sense of humor. Starting a "My Picks" thread, being a literal nobody, with no credibility or sizeable reputation on this board, isn't the way to start your tenure here. As a sidenote, I'd suggest you avoid verbal fisticuffs with the forums moderator. Just some words of advice.

jaden101
i have no intentions of getting into verbal fisticuffs with anyone and regardless of the fact that im new on the board and judging from some of the threads ive seen on the forum i already make a better contribution that many other people do and the length of time ive been here doesn't make my opinion any less valid than anyone elses...but thanks for the advice Cinemaddiction...the site does seem to have a better moderator team than many i have been on

back to darrenisgod

i wasn't trying to be nasty but i was trying to be blunt about my point...but as we both know, its all a matter of personal taste...and i dont like metal...yes there are older people that listen to metal...but i think we can both agree that you are in an extreme minority...although i am not saying that this diminishes your enjoyment of the music in any way

i'd like to point out seeing as you know very little about me (because i havent been here very long) that i am certainly not narrow minded when it comes to music...my cd collection stretches across almost all genres including metal,classical,techno,hip hop and country...i get more enjoyment out of some genre's than others but that will be the same for everyone...regardless of what their ego's will allow them to admit to their peers be it online or in real life

as for making the most of my life...trust me...i do...oh ho ho...YES...I DO

take it easy chief

thumb up

daronisgod
Fair enough, I guess.

I don't particularly want to argue about this either.

Libertine
Why was everynoe ganging up on Jaden, i think he's made the most interesting threads that ive seen in ages. Its about music HE likes, and doesnt totally bad mouth anyone elses fave bands.

Alpha Centauri
All I saw here was a misunderstanding.

I never seen anyone ganging up. Jaden disrespected a mod so he was set straight.

-AC

jaden101
true...unintentional i must add in my defence...i didnt even know i was "debating" with a mod

i do hope the mods here have the courtesy to allow people to disagree with them without fear of banning them because it is this that makes for a healthy forum and good( if at sometimes lively) discussions

i will also state without wanting to be vindictive that it is me who has been on the recieving end of the remarks of "narrow minded" as well as "arrogant"

i felt these swipes were a bit unjustified but i do accept the point that people wont know if im being sarcastic or not due to my little time spent on the forum

anyway...i think its time to get back on topic

ive been listening to minuteman's "resigned to life" album a lot lately...ive had it for a while but didnt really get into it until recently...here is a review for those who are interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/rockandalt/reviews/minuteman_resigned.shtml

Libertine
Cool.

peejay88
Delays are awesome, been to see them twice, both times in Liverpool. In 2004 and on monday night. They just keep growing as a band and as performers, Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.