The most insanely intense, mind-blowing band you've ever heard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Norma Jean
For me it's Meshuggah.

dean7879
children of bodom(?)
dragonforce(power metal)
sonata arctica(speed metal)

Alpha Centauri
Tool, Faith No More, Radiohead, Rush, Mr. Bungle, Mindless Self Indulgence.

-AC

SlipknoT
Slipknot, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth

Norma Jean
Radiohead, Tool, and Rush are not intense.

Silver Stardust
I've never heard of Mr. Bungle but the rest I all agree with for sure.

Alpha Centauri
Mr. Bungle are probably the most insanely intense band of all the ones I mentioned. Mind-Blowing for multiple reasons.

I can't begin to describe their music. They're one of those "have to hear to believe" bands.

"Radiohead, Tool, and Rush are not intense."

Yes they are. Oh and besides the fact that intense doesn't have to mean a double bass drum and stomach-barfed vocals...

*Checks thread title*

I swear it says "The most insanely intense, mind-blowing band you've ever heard." not "Name bands that Norma Jean thinks fall under those catagories".

-AC

Norma Jean
Oh my gosh your such a pompous jackass.

OMEGA_05
Lamb of god, Slipknot, God forbid, Cradle of filth,
and
just maybe.......maybe

All that remains, Avenged sevenfold, As I lay dying, Himsa

Cinemaddiction
Yeeeeeah, Meshuggah is on up there. Hatebreed as well.

Alpha Centauri
Why are you throwing insults? Was I wrong in what I said? No.

I named the bands I think are mind-blowing and intense, if you don't agree then fine but I was to assume by the title that having you agree with my opinion wasn't necessary. Was it?

-AC

Norma Jean
Please give me some reason as to why in the world you think Radiohead, Tool and Rush are insanely intense and mind-blowing without somehow putting yourself on a pedestal or belittling me.

OMEGA_05
GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpha Centauri
Wow, NJ...and I'm pompous? Reality check buddy.

Funny how you try to make me look like I place myself high yet you demand reason as to why I have an opinion, like I owe it to you. For the sake of this thread (which I happen to think is a good idea) I'll indulge you.

The reasons I believe Radiohead are mind-blowing and intense are because they create musical soundscapes unlike any were doing at the time, unlike anyone (save for vague comparisons) had done before and like no one has done since. They have made progressive leaps from album to album in multiple directions, way surpassing themselves each time, strength to strength. Their music is an experience unlike any other, for me at least. The stuff they come up with I cannot conceive any other band around today (or for the past decade) being able to produce, save but a few.

Rush because, as with Radiohead, they make their albums into journeys. It's not song after song after song. It's a journey, an experience of incredible musical depth. They have such sheer scope and such talent with creating music that it astounds me every time I hear it.

As for Tool, they mean alot to me and first and foremost the music means alot to me personally. Anyone who has heard their Opiate EP, Undertow, Most of Aenima and alot of Lateralus will attest to the fact that aswell as creating vast landscapes of musical genius, they can be as hard hitting and intense as any band. The Grudge? Hooker with a penis? Crawl Away? Bottom? Undertow? Sober? Aenima? Stinkfist? Ticks and Leeches? Ever heard any of those? Those are intense, heavy songs that aren't just loads of noise. They carry meaning, talent and something to take.

I believe the bands I stated are intense and mindblowing, why? Because they are. If you don't like that or agree, fine.

-AC

Norma Jean
Because I think that Radiohead is one of the dullest and blandest bands I've ever heard.

If you're gonna always be so opinionated, I can be too.

Alpha Centauri
For the sake of the thread (which I do like actually) I posted my reasons.

Secondly, you THINK Radiohead are those things. Rock on, that's cool with me. Why? Because that's what your opinion is.

Mine is that they're not. You seem to be labelling me with qualities (for lack of a better term) that you have. Don't call me pompous and then tell me I'm wrong because of something YOU think.

Why create a thread ASKING for opinions and then get a wedgie when someone says something you don't agree with?

Rather playground isn't it?

-AC

Norma Jean
I am hardly ever pompous or opinionated. Whenever you see that stupid "-AC" sign off, you can automatically assume that it came with some arrongant, cocky, sarcastic post.

And saying that Radiohead is intense is like saying Bjork is.

Afro Cheese
Different people have different ideas of intense Norma. Being intense doesn't necessary mean that the band has to be fast and hard..

Norma Jean
Merriam-Webster's definition of intense:

1 a : existing in an extreme degree
2 : marked by or expressive of great zeal, energy, determination, or concentration

I have never seen Radiohead express great energy. The overall energy of their music is so low-key.

Alpha Centauri
Tsk tsk, throwing insults again?

More people on this board get along with me rather than have beef with me. Namely the ones who can debate without getting pissy. You asked for opinion, I gave it. You told me I was wrong and I made a fool of you by showing you how wrong you were in doing so, in a thread such as this, in which you asked for opinion and also created smile.

As for that last line, completely strange.

Funerals are intense experiences, see where I'm going?

-AC

Norma Jean
No, funerals aren't. Just because you claim your right doesn't mean you are. That's how you you try and win every argument I've ever seen you in. "I proved you wrong, because you are blah blah blah." It's trademark Alpha. roll eyes (sarcastic)

And why do you think I'm pissed off? huh

Alpha Centauri
In response to your last post, I love how you posted two definitions and then picked ONE attribute out of the FOUR stated, to show how Radiohead aren't intense.

This all boils down to you never hearing them be intense. I've never heard Norma Jean be decent but you seem to think they are.

-AC

Silver Stardust
This thread is based on everyone's opinions. Yet when someone gives an opinion you shit a brick...confused

Alpha Centauri
Funerals are, by definition, intense. Did it not say concentration? No funeral I've been to has been a light experience.

I never claimed I was "right". I claimed my opinion.

You told me my opinion was wrong when infact, you just disagreed. So you were wrong to do so.

Tired of actually handing out whoop to you. Don't get up to me if you can't get up with me.

-AC

Norma Jean
No I didn't. I gave you an example of precisely what I'm talking about. This whole time I've been trying to say that I've never seen them "express great energy."

Butt out if you're just gonna regurgitate what AC has been saying this whole time.

Silver Stardust
Shut up, NJ...I'll post whereever the hell I please.

Thing is, you do this all the time. Whenever someone gives an opinion differing from yours you act like they're wrong and you're right.

Norma Jean
No you haven't handed out anything. You always talk in circles, up your ass, and out your mouth. Point out one place where I specifically said "Alpha you're opinion is wrong."

Norma Jean
Ok, when did this happen. Hmm...I only recall once in my 'Tool bites' thread that I decided I wasn't gonna waste my time in anymore.

Silver Stardust
What's that? Oh, you claiming that AC and myself (who DO think these bands are very intense) are wrong based on YOUR opinion!

Norma Jean
Ok, so I did.

Didn't Alpha just say that in fact I was disagreeing. I guess I'm the one who has horrible taste and should never ever talk again because I contradict myself everywhere.

And chicken tastes like Turkey on wednesdays.

Alpha Centauri
Unless you can prove my opinion wrong, factually, then it's not wrong. Seeing as you can't do that, I suggest you rethink your strategy.

You've never seen them express great energy, ok fine. So? That is ONE facet of the word "Intense". It doesn't mean they aren't intense just because you haven't seen them be energetic. Just? Airbag? Idioteque? 2+2=5?

If you're gonna get abusive, then don't participate. It's a bit sad how you've started hurling insults based on the fact that you don't think Radiohead are intense.

You asked for opinions on what bands are intense and/or mind-blowing, I replied, you didn't like it.

To quote Maynard: "What you're trying to say is you don't wanna play, but what you want and what you need, don't mean a **** to me."

The fact that you don't like Radiohead or think any of the bands I mentioned are intense (which is ridiculous considering I mentioned Tool) doesn't disprove my opinion. You don't think they're intense, I do. Prove me wrong or zip it.

-AC

Darth Revan
For christ sake NJ, calm the **** down. AC is only stating his opinion. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Much of Undertow is incredibly heavy and hard-hitting, to me. I could name a bunch of metal bands that seem much more intense and heavy at first, but there are some really brutal Tool songs. To me Tool is almost heavier than a lot of stereotypical "heavy" bands because they don't just lay down a bunch of power chords with heavy distortion and call it that. I'm having trouble putting what I'm thinking into words... But I think a lot of Tool fans will know what I'm talking about.

khalla
um....Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse, Underoath, Children of Bodom, and Lamb of God oh right Slipknot to, I guess I'll put them in there

Norma Jean
laughing Underoath??? hysterical

Silver Stardust
Stop making fun of other people's opinions.

Norma Jean
Goodness gracious. I'm just saying how do you go from Cannibal Corpse to Underoath?? messed

Silver Stardust
People are allowed to have a varied taste in music, you know wink

Norma Jean
Of course. But it caught me off guard to think that Underoath is as intense as Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth.

Silver Stardust
Maybe so, but there can be more than one meaning to 'intense', as has been discussed already yes

Norma Jean
Wow.

STYX Chick
confused My personal oppinon?

I think these bands are intense, in their own way:
STYX
The Who
Train

Alpha Centauri
Careful, we don't take to kaaaahnly to opinions round these 'ere parts.

-AC

STYX Chick
blink Huh? confused Okies? messed

Alpha Centauri
Was a joke.

Far be it from me to think it's be understood.

-AC

Norma Jean
Is there anything that you won't relate STYX to??

khalla
Wow can you ever respect peoples opinions?

Norma Jean
No.

khalla
Didn't think so
Cough* ****** Cough huh what was that woops did that one slip out. my bad

Norma Jean
I'm so hurt.

khalla
damn straight you should be.

Darth Revan
Then you really have no right to be calling other people pompous, have you? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Norma Jean
It's called sarcasm.

Alpha Centauri
I think he's swallowed his pride and decided to stop being silly now.

I have reason to believe so anyway, don't I?

If I do, then we can all continue on topic.

-AC

Silver Stardust
Hehehehehe....

Norma Jean
I already kissed and made up with you, dude. wink

STYX Chick
...Your ass...After I shove my foot up it laughing out loud And, stop picking on peeps 'cuz you don't like their taste in music...Do you see anyone in this thread saying "Eww!!! Norma Jean SUCKS! How can you POSSIABLY think they are intense?!"

Answer...No...So, shut the f-up, and let people ahve their OPPINONS!!!!!!!!!! erm Coughjackasscough Oops...My bad stick out tongue

Anyways, true answer to your question...Yes...But, I'm not gonna get off topic...Unlike you <.<

I also think that Savage Garden are intense...Gotta love 'Gunning Down Romance' love

Tptmanno1
Ok this is POINTLESS!
Intence.
Tool, and APC
A Perfect circle is one of the most intense band's I've heard. Their lyrics are so subtle, and just medatative, your drawn in and then, like in the Package, when the bass Come in with the Lound into to the Guitar solo-y thing, your just soo involved, its beautiful. Its comes out and grabs you, and doesn't let go until it wants to.

I'm not gonna say why Tool is intence because AC did it allready

Norma Jean
no expression . . . . yawn

Tptmanno1
Why because you don't appreciat sublty?
Intence doesn't allways mean hard and fast,
The most intence songs are usually soft and slower, becuase that draws people in and creates emotional attachment.

Alpha Centauri
While you brought it up, WE didn't kiss and make up.

You put the liplock on me and requested we "be cool".

-AC

STYX Chick
O.o; You're an f-ing jack ass... -.-;

Tptmanno1 - So true...When STYX First came out with the song 'Lady', it was requested on the raidio so much, because of the intense power ballad it was...Anyways, Norma Jean, if you made this thread, you should have expected that people were going to have DIFFERENT OPPINONS than you...

Now, get your head out of your ASS, and, quit being so arrogant...Thank you, VERY much... -mutters something under her breath-

Anyways, I guess peeps can agree with me, that Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway To Heaven' is intense...Right? At lease, I think it is >.> Even though it's been ages since I heard that song -.-;

Deathblow
Has to be Willhaven. Saga & I've Seen My Fate are the definitions of insanely intense.

Tptmanno1
Haven't heard of any of those, but ok...

MaggotCorps
Metallica, who else?

SlipknoT
Good taste

Dr. Strangelove
Tool, Slipknot, Metallica.

daronisgod
System Of A Down.... Tool, A Perfect Circle... I want to say Aphex Twin, but Aphex Twin isn't a band...

room #99
Pantera
tool
Pherion
Opeth
Dark lunacy

Alpha Centauri
Neither are NIN technically. A band that is.

-AC

Df02
WillHaven
Alec Empire
The Locust

that'll do me

and why do ppl put "*cough* dick *cough*", why not work up the balls just just put "dick" lol?

dean7879
sonata arctica
brilliant band

Alpha Centauri
Why does writing 'cough' make any difference anyway? Can clearly see the word 'dick'.

-AC

khalla
Nightwish i love the Metal and the Opera.

Norma Jean
Oh I need to add The Agony Scene and Between the Buried and Me.

Df02
yea, but its really annoying...the cough thing just rubs a nerve for me lol

Cinemaddiction
You mean Agony of Filth/Cradle of Agony? Nothing "mindblowing" about them, IMO, other than the blatant vocal stylings they imitate, from a goofy band of "vampyres". Same goes for BTBAM, IMO.

Boy, I remember when bands had half way audible vocals. Those were the days. love

Norma Jean
Maybe, but the Agony Scene beats the crap out of CoF.

Norma Jean
I hate BTBAM, but they are pretty heavy-hitting.

Cinemaddiction
That's rich. Underoath are about as intense as the ****ing Libertines and annoying as Thursday. (I remember when Thursday was a hardcore band, and Victory Records was an actual hardcore label.)

Mnemic's new album is like an angry, drunken, hulking Fear Factory, lol.

"Deathbox" is insane, especially, and the intro is out there.

Norma Jean
I quite like some of Underoath's old stuff. Back when they were actually hardcore.

Hardcore Underoath
NOT hardcore Underoath

But even screw their 2002 release. Their first two albums were totally hardcore and awesome. Now they're emo. They used to be one of my favorites in their days of hardcore.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, Thursday did the exact same thing, as did the entire Victory Records label roster. It's so sad, the "Flawless Victory" commercials, with b!tch bands like Hawthorne Heights and Himsa being promoted, while I sit there remembering Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, old Thursday, Strife, Warzone...mad

Agent 69
Led Zepplin

BackFire
Intense? Pantera, Soul Fly, Sepultura.

Mind blowing? Tool and Dredg.

Norma Jean
Totally.

Alpha Centauri
"Mind blowing? Tool and Dredg."

Both putting out new albums this yarr.

-AC

BackFire
Yes, can't wait, especially Dredg, who I like better then Tool.

Alpha Centauri
They have a new single out you know?

On the site I think, it's called Bug Eyes. Sounds great.

-AC

HeartBroken
Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Mudavyne, In Flames, and Lifehouse for personal reasons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.