child murderers...the media...and the blame game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
im hoping this thread will get more response here than it did when i posted it at the other forum im a member of

today the killer of scottish teenager,jodi jones,was sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison.
Luke Mitchell killed Jodi by stabbing her over 50 times.cutting her open and ramming the knife down her throat
the judge described the murder "one of the worst cases of murder of a single victim to have come before the court in many years".
but what was the motivation for the crime and what were the influences behind the attack
this is where the justice system gets horribly skewed and misguided
as if you didn't see it coming. marylin manson was again bestowed with the responsibility of motivating a child killer
in this case it was not his music that is supposed to have unbalanced the boy but something on his website
the feature in question is mansons artwork depicting the Black Dahlia murder which depicts the killing and mutilation of actress Elizabeth Short
but lets look a bit at the ongoing trend of the media blame game when these tragic events occur
probably the most high profile being the columbine high school shootings where once again marylin manson was blamed for being the driving force behind the murderers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.
here is mansons reply to those accusation

It is sad to think that the first few people on earth needed no books, movies, games or music to inspire cold-blooded murder. The day that Cain bashed his brother Abel's brains in, the only motivation he needed was his own human disposition to violence. Whether you interpret the Bible as literature or as the final word of whatever God may be, Christianity has given us an image of death and sexuality that we have based our culture around. A half-naked dead man hangs in most homes and around our necks, and we have just taken that for granted all our lives. Is it a symbol of hope or hopelessness? The world's most famous murder-suicide was also the birth of the death icon - the blueprint for celebrity
Marilyn Manson has never celebrated the sad fact that America puts killers on the cover of Time magazine, giving them as much notoriety as our favorite movie stars. From Jesse James to Charles Manson, the media, since their inception, have turned criminals into folk heroes. They just created two new ones when they plastered those dipshits Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris' pictures on the front of every newspaper.
We applaud the creation of a bomb whose sole purpose is to destroy all of mankind, and we grow up watching our president's brains splattered all over Texas. Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised. like their violent car chase of Princess Di. Disgusting vultures looking for corpses, exploiting, filming and serving it up for our hungry appetites in a gluttonous display of endless human stupidity
When it comes down to who's to blame for the high school murders in Littleton, Colorado, throw a rock and you'll hit someone who's guilty. We're the people who sit back and tolerate children owning guns, and we're the ones who tune in and watch the up-to-the-minute details of what they do with them. I think it's terrible when anyone dies,especially if it is someone you know and love. I was dumbfounded as I watched the media snake right in, not missing a teardrop, interviewing the parents of dead children, televising the funerals. Then came the witch hunt.
It was unthinkable that these kids did not have a simple black-and-white reason for their actions. And so a scapegoat was needed. I remember hearing the initial reports from Littleton, that Harris and Klebold were wearing makeup and were dressed like Marilyn Manson, whom they obviously must worship, since they were dressed in black. Of course, speculation snowballed into making me the poster boy for everything that is bad in the world. These two idiots weren't wearing makeup, and they weren't dressed like me or like goths. Since Middle America has not heard of the music they did listen to, the media picked something they thought was similar.
Responsible journalists have reported with less publicity that Harris and Klebold were not Marilyn Manson fans -- that they even disliked my music. Even if they were fans, that gives them no excuse, nor does it mean that music is to blame. Did we look for James Huberty's inspiration when he gunned down people at McDonald's? What did Timothy McVeigh like to watch? What about David Koresh, Jim Jones? Do you think entertainment inspired Kip Kinkel, or should we blame the fact that his father bought him the guns he used in the Springfield, Oregon, murders? What inspires Bill Clinton to blow people up in Kosovo? Was it something that Monica Lewinsky said to him? Isn't killing just killing, regardless if it's in Vietnam or Jonesboro, Arkansas? Why do we justify one, just because it seems to be for the right reasons? Should there ever be a right reason? If a kid is old enough to drive a car or buy a gun, isn't he old enough to be held personally responsible for what he does with his car or gun? Or if he's a teenager, should someone else be blamed because he isn't as enlightened as an eighteen-year-old?
America loves to find an icon to hang its guilt on. Deep down, most adults hate people who go against the grain. It's comical that people are naive enough to have forgotten Elvis, Jim Morrison and Ozzy so quickly. All of them were subjected to the same age-old arguments, scrutiny and prejudice. I wrote a song called "Get Your Gunn." The title is spelled with two n's because the song was a reaction to the murder of Dr. David Gunn, who was killed in Florida by pro-life activists while I was living there. That was the ultimate hypocrisy I witnessed growing up: that these people killed someone in the name of being "pro-life."
The somewhat positive messages of these songs are usually the ones that sensationalists misinterpret as promoting the very things I am decrying. Right now, everyone is thinking of how they can prevent things like Littleton. How do you prevent AIDS, world war, depression, car crashes? We live in a free country, but with that freedom there is a burden of personal responsibility. Rather than teaching a child what is moral and immoral, right and wrong, we first and foremost can establish what the laws that govern us are. You can always escape hell by not believing in it, but you cannot escape death and you cannot escape prison.
It is no wonder that kids are growing up more cynical They can see that they are living in a world that's made of bullshit. America has become one big mall, and because of the Internet and all of the technology we have, there's nowhere to run. People are the same everywhere. Sometimes music, movies and books are the only things that let us feel like someone else feels like we do. I've always tried to let people know it's OK if you don't fit into the program.
I chose not to jump into the media frenzy and defend myself, though I was begged to be on every single TV show in existence. I didnt want to contribute to these fame-seeking journalists and opportunists looking to fill their churches or to get elected because of their self-righteous finger-pointing. They want to blame entertainment? Isn't religion the first real entertainment? People dress up in costumes, sing songs and dedicate themselves in eternal fandom.
I think that the National Rifle Association is far too powerful to take on, so most people choose Doom, The Basketball Diaries or yours truly. This kind of controversy does not help me sell records or tickets, and I wouldn't want it to. I've always tried to show people that the devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us. So don't expect the end of the world to come one day out of the blue it's been happening every day for a long time.

music is not the only factor in the blame game.does anyone remember the great soundbite of the early nineties.video nastys .where films such as driller killer were blamed for influencing violent behaviour
the media were frenetic about it and once again completely ignored the underlying factors and realities of the situatio
now in the modern playstation generation we have video games bearing the brunt of accusations where we hear the line trotted out by psychological experts "its the interactive factor that is different from films.you actually carry out the actions on screen" and what ever else it does
games cited are of the usual crime style.Grand theft auto and more recently manhunt
the later being blamed as the motivation behind the murder of stephan pakeerah who was battered to death by his friend warren leblanc after playing the game manhunt
when will society realise that we cannot go on sticking the blame on scapegoats and take note that our society is fractured and intimidating at the best of times even for those who are "normal" and "fit in"
what im trying to put across os the feeling you get when going into town on a busy day and being in the middle of all the hustle and bustle that city centre brings...and still feeling utterly alone
imagine how that must feel to people who live on the fringes of society and who risk ridicule on a daily basis from not just their peers at school.but society as a whole
admit it.youve all looked at someone in the street who doesnt fit into the bracket of "normal" and judged them for it.
i guess its just far easier to blame something that most people have little understanding of.lambasting the things that bring many people some of the few comforts they might have in life.blaming the very thing that gave these people some sanctuary from the rage they feel at a society and in some cases a family that has shunted them to the sidelines
i look to the future and see the inevitable on the horizon.the next child killer.the next scapegoat.the society happy to alieviate itself of the responsibility and on and on it goes

jaden101
i had to edit down this post due to the limit on post length of 10,000 characters...i also edited the manson article as well

for the original post please click the link

http://www.in-my-opinion.org/in-my-opinion-3818.html

Napalm
That guy is a worthless piece of shit

jaden101
uuuhhh...who?

Capt_Fantastic
Like I said in another thread, it isn't what you hear. It's how loudly you hear it. This concept explains why some people can hear music that talks about murdering others and not act out, and why others do. It's all about what was there to begin with and how that aspect of your personality interacts with what you encounter in the world around you.

These people who want to blame Marilyn Manson for these kids going out and shooting up schools or murdering, are the same people that would never refuse to expose kids to the horrors of history...like the holocaust. I can assure you that Hitler is more responsible for influencing people to commit murder than Marilyn Manson ever will.

You can not protect people from the horrors of life. To keep them from knowing the world they live in is more dangerous and a greater diservice to that person than them experiencing reality and learning to deal with it.

smoker4
Like Chris Rock said 'Whatever happened to crazy?'

Napalm
That man from scotland that murdered that girl.

Victor Von Doom
Man? 'Child murderers'?

The killer was 16.

silver_tears
So basically from the bottom line of this, Marylin Manson is against the media playing such a big role, yet didn't his own website depict the brutal murder of Elizabeth Short, that's a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

Alpha Centauri
Marilyn Manson doesn't exactly know what he wants to do right now.

-AC

ericadurancefan
i think when someone commits a crime and blames it on music,celebrites or video games they are just trying to shine away the fact that they themselfs are crazy,its a form of self denial.

as far as the media goes sometimes they do overdo stuff when it comes to this topic

KharmaDog
It kills me when shock rock (dare I say artisits) like Marylin Manson hold the media in contempt and shirk any responsibility for the image they portray and the messeages that they send out.

Marylin Manson is part of the media, is a whore to the media and uses the media to sell his albums. His albums, lyrics and themes are directed to disenfranchised youths who liken themselves to Manson and his state of mind. He has a very thought out and well defined image that is directly marketed to these kids through the media, yet none of them are responsible. It's all total bullsh*t. It's about money folks, and if your suicidal kids want to buy into this stuff, Marylin and the folks making a buck through entertainment and the media is all to ready to sell it to them.

That all being said, if parents paid even the remotest bit of attention to the lives and troubles of their kids we wouldn't have half the problems that our youths are experiencing now.

Wanna know who to blame? How about apathetic and selfish parents who shouldn't have kids in the first place, money hungry businesses who will do or sell anything to make a buck, idotic media whores who will do anything for attention, catatonic lawmakers who have failed to realize that times have changed and that children are more informed and aware than ever so laws relating to the crimes of children (and punishment) should also be updated, and everyone else who walks around with the "not my kid, not my problem attitude.

FeceMan
WTF. Paragraphs and proper grammar are your allies, jaden. Anyone care to paraphrase that since reading it will give me a massive headache?

debbiejo
blah....too depressing..

Smasandian
Jaden, what do you mean that the justice system is misguided and skewed?

Like, that he should of gotten a smaller sentence because he wasnt responsible?
Because that murder sounds alot like first degree to me. He should of gotten more.

SlipknoT
too long to read

Red Superfly
I'm not saying The Justice System is skewed or anything, or that I condone children murderring each other, but to be honest; I am sick of the menu at McDonalds, it's always the same, and bacon only at breakfast? Where's the justice there?

Capt_Fantastic
Believe it or not, I agree with you. In fact, I think you and I agree on a lot of things....

You have no idea how many times I've come home from a long night at the club and wondered why i can't find somewhere that still has bacon.

Capt_Fantastic
BTW..Wendy's does not agree...they're on our side.

jaden101
glad you pointed that out...it was badly and quickly choppped down as the original article was to big (needs to be below 10000 characters)

again my apologies...i should have taken more time and care to edit it

jaden101
in terms of the UK justice system the punishments are far to small when compared with other "civilised" countries...our governemnt tends to blame this on over crowded prisons and other such bullshit excuses not to punish people properly

its also skewed in terms of what it lays its priorities on...in many cases the judges focus on circumstantial or non scientific evidence...in the case of luke mitchell it was pictures on a marylin manson website instead of any concrete forensic evidence

but then again this is how the media portrayed it and may not have been the full truth

pr1983
exactly...

people should stop trying to find a scapegoat and actually consider how mentally unhealthy people are...

immaturerainbow
Kip, <3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.