has Britain gone soft

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
it was a jeremy clarkson article in the sun (i know you all love that paper wink ) that promted this thread

this last week has seen a wee bit of snow in Britain...and by a wee bit...i do mean just a tiny little bit...infact outside my house right now there is none left

but because of this little teeny weeny bit of white rain the country has practically slowed to a stand still...what the hell is that all about...

this is the same country that described 2 world wars as "a bit of bother"

now we describe a few snow flakes as "extremely hazardous"

and we are not supposed to make "non essential journeys"...ive never known anyone who makes non essential journeys except for wanky boy racers that cruise around the clubs on a friday and saturday night knowing they are too sad to get in...

i give up...what going on...

i pray another hitler doesnt come along that we brits have to deal with...cause i fear many people are to selfish to bother to fight for someone other than themselves...

not to mention that just about everyone will be able to avoid any future national service because of "human rights" laws

we're becoming soft as shite

and its pissing me off

my local pub is swiftly becoming a sea of blokes in pink t shirts and ****ing livestrong yellow armbands

Ushgarak
It is long established that the UK does not have a clue how to handle snow.

Storm
laughing

ash007
indeed i mean look at the Canadians its been snowing non stop for them since November.

I think we don't see much of it and when it does snow we can't handle it.

Ushgarak
It's getting silly though. It's happening every year now- small amount of snow, country stops working.

Basic evolution says we should have sorted this out ages ago!

Storm
Omg laughing

jaden101
yeah but its getting ridiculous nowaday...in the 1960's there was a period of snow fall that was so bad that a train got buried and lost completely for 2 weeks in the north of Scotland

even when i was at school i can only remember getting sent home once because of snow...and that was when it fell several feet over night

now it seems that as soon as a flake hits the ground, everything shuts down...

probably the health and safety brigade are to blame...no one wants to take responsibility for a kid slipping in the playground...thats what happens when we adopt the american way of "sue first and ask questions later"

ash007
The army was called in to help emergency services as the worsening conditions brought parts of Kent and Sussex to a standstill.

lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4312903.stm

lil bitchiness
cry its snowing down here but its not sticking.

baracustastic
It's pathetic. Having spent last year in Prague it has been hammered home how poorly Scotland handles snow.

dean7879
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1132194.jpg
http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/2296/Sun---Binsane_thumb.jpg
http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/2296/Sun---My-Rock_thumb.jpg
http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/2296/Sun---Queen-Duck_thumb.jpg
http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/2296/elected_kenny_thumb_05-05-0.jpg

LOL u gotta love the sun

Linkalicious
How about the French and their heatwave last year?

I hear it was only in the low 100's in farenheit and they were dropping like flies...

jaden101
the french have always been soft as shit though...heat...cold...nazi armys...they drop like flies at all of them

ash007
yeah the thing is the French was prepared for the Heat wave also they are not used to hot weather

Linkalicious
PePe Le Pew was never one for fistacuffs

jaden101
laughing out loud laughing

Silver Stardust
Hehehe, reminded me of something my mom told me...when she was 16 she was in London and it snowed all of 2 inches and she said it was like the entire city shut down. I was laughing so hard.

Ushgarak
Yup. Probably even the Underground closed with two inches. Well, you never can tell with snow... tricky stuff...

Sadako of Girth
LOL laughing ....Or the classic "Wrong kind of leaves on the tracks..."

Silver Stardust
Yep, she said the underground was shut down and they had to rent a car...I was so amused when she was telling me this, but then again we live in Chicago which is known to out of nowhere get 18 inch snowfalls.

Ushgarak
London would explode if that happened.

Sadako of Girth
laughing

Sadako of Girth
Lets face it... We have a hard enough time keeping trains on tracks and running on time even if the weather was a L.A-esque 80-100 degrees....

There no doubt about it....Grey and drizzly is our inherent speciality.. sad

Silver Stardust
You'd HATE Chicago then...we never have the same weather two days in a row, I swear. 50 degree temperature swings (in a single day) and nasty storms out of nowhere are our specialties laughing as well as the random snowfalls...actually, this year we've only had 2 real snowfalls, one was about 12 inches and the other was 6. Usually we get more...but yeah, I guess I'm used to wacky weather and it amuses me when 2 inches of snow could shut down a big city.

Sadako of Girth
See if we had actual varying REAL weather like that, we'd be better prepared through conditioning, but as 70% of our weather is mundane grey monotony, whenever it gets either noticabley hotter or colder...
We go to pieces...

Lousy fake weather.... mad wink

Screw it...!! "Ticketman...Two tickets to the tri-state district...!"

jaden101
a 10 year old boy was killed under a giant snowball in aberdeenshire this week...it would almost be funny if it wasnt so tragic

here is not a very good reconstruction of the event

http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games/etgames/snowball/index2.htm

ChickinMeat
Yea ive heard its all snowing and stuff back home, i remember my buddy telling me he was waiting at home listening to the radio to see if busses were running because the roads were closed as he couldnt get to college.

but then the roads the busses take to get to his college i imagine would be very dangerous in icey conditions.

and im crap at that game, my max surviving limit was 12 meters

Red Superfly
I rule when it comes to snow. I am the snow master.

Erm, and sh*t.

manny321
its not seroius unless a foot falls!!

Magee
Ok i didnt read all the post, i only read the first post and felt the need to reply straight away.

It may not have been to bad in ur area but where i live in Scotland (east) it snowed quite considerably. About 15 inches to be precise. It was almost impossible to get our car out the drive way. Although i will admit that the UK does not know how to deal with snow wink

Sadako of Girth
See there you go.... Now 15 inches...THATS snow...!!!
I live real near London and our snow barely settled at all....!
So it couldn't have been that bad....
But you guys in Scotland got THAT much... Lucky so-and-sos... smile
God. What a swizz. sad

jaden101
you must be a fifer then...cause i live in the east of Scotland too...Dundee to be exact...and we got the sum total of about 4 inches...that nothing though...but it still is enough to bring the bloody city to its knees...despite the fact that we pay through the nose in council tax there never seems to be gritters and ploughs on the road when they are needed...and loads when they arent

Silver Stardust
15 inches is a normal snowfall here wink

manny321
15 inches is a good snowfall.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.