Media Overhype On Weather/events!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manny321
Do you always notice when a small snow storm comes the weather people call it a huge storm when only one inche is going to fall down. Its so stupid!!!
The problem here in Canada is that only 5 years ago it snowed 6-7 inches easily and the media wasn't going nuts. Just this week in Toronto it snowed about 1 and half inches and they are acting like if Hurricane Andrew was coming. The media always over hypes everything. They said it would snow 30 cm and it snowed so little that the snow melted when i got back home!!

Even the famous blackout was called a epic disaster. I have been to third world countries and i actually found it nice that everyone would take a break. Also once Hurricane Isabel from 2003 was going to hit Carolina it weakened and the Media said the storm will hit Toronto at tropical storm strength. When it came, not Even a tree broke!!!!!!!!!!!

KharmaDog
Are you talking about the Blizzard that dropped a foot and a half of snow on Toronto in 8 hrs? Because yes, that was nuts, it's not that that's a tonne of snow, it's that it becomes a logistical nightmare to move that much snow in such a built up metro area. There's nowhere for it to go. (by the way another 2 feet fell over the next 3 days) The National Guard even had to be called in to assist with additional manpower and machinery.

Well I live 15 minutes out of Toronto and we indeed got a foot of snow, it has not melted, it is still here. You can come and shovel it if you like.

The Blackout was a huge problem! Aside from the fact that I was stuck in Denver for a couple of days, that blackout cost 100's of millions of dollars! I'd say that's not a good thing. And in that storm in 2003 trees were ripped out of the ground on my street!

I understand the point that you are trying to make, but you picked horrible examples. Either that or you lived on the most charmed street in Canada and missed every weather front that has hit our region.

manny321
Okay, maybe i do live in a charmed street because i got power back in 9 hours after the black out. If you want to know i live in northern Brampton.

The point i am trying to get across that 5 years ago the media focused a lot and yes i got stuck in my house. But they overkill the snowstorms of today. I don't think we got hit by a good one since. THey make 10-15 cm look like 30-40 cm. However last May 2004 a severe t-storm that caused real damage and for a brief moment a tornado warning was issued for the GTA but the media barley covered it!!! Another fact when Hurricane Isabel came to Toronto they never ever said it was coming in a much weakened form. You think people were smart enough to know that!! No only 80% attended school and 4 out of the 15 people at my work did not come!!!!!

Well i noticed that the local news over blow things but the weather Chanel says its nothing serious!

dean7879
oh **** the media

KharmaDog
I remember back in the mid nineties driving through Kentucky with a bunch of friends. About 4 inches of snow fell over 2 days and they were selling videos and T-shirts (something like "I survived the blizzard of '96" or something like that). It was complete pandemonium.

We were driving along an interstate when State troopers started to close down the highway. The conditions were not bad at all I thought. The trooper told us to turn around because the roads were too treacherous. After talking to the trooper for a couple of minutes he let us go through (he was a pretty decent guy actually). I just told him that where I came from this was no big deal and I just wanted to get home. We were the only truck on they highway for miles.

Silver Stardust
Here we need to be expecting about 6 inches of snow before the news makes a big deal of it. Less than that and it's just "Eh, it's gonna snow, no biggy..."

lil bitchiness
In England as soon as we have half an inch of snow one group is going ' YEY WE GET OFF SCHOOL'' and the other is going '' HOLLY SHIT ITS A NATURAL DISASTER ABOUT TO HAPPEN''

Silver Stardust
laughing so I've heard, which I find to be funny as hell!!!

Here (in Chicago at least) we need to get between 9 and 12 inches of snow before they'll call off school. Works out pretty well sometimes though, we got 14 inches in one night once, and we had a snow day the day before my 16th birthday. That was pretty damn cool.

lil bitchiness
Oh, it is. And the looks on everyones faces its hilarious ''shock its...snowing....why....is it....snowing....shock''

I lover snow, we dont get it here often, but i love when its all white and pretty happy

And as for staying off uni, i dont need snow for that, i can just not show up.

Silver Stardust
That's one thing I love about college...I don't need snow as an excuse to blow off class!

I hate snow...it's white and pretty but I get sick of it in about 5 minutes. Probably because I have to deal with it for 5 months of the year.

PVS
funny you mention the 'blizzard of 96" because we got WHACKED in jersey. snowdrifts were 5-6 feet. i worked at a car dealership and the entire lot was a wavy blanket of snow...with antennas sticking out of it. what a freaking nightmare. and north of me they got whacked even worse.

Silver Stardust
Haha, if I remember correctly, we got pretty buried over here in Illinois from that snowstorm...

PVS
that was the week i was supposed to go to amsterdamn, but of coarse it was postponed a week...so i show up at work on the monday im supposed to be overseas and one of my bosses starts cracking up, and says "...and you thought you'd be knee deep in hash about now"
bastard

manny321
Well we got 3 and half feet of snow in about 3 and half days in Toronto. I got 5 days off school. Now that was a real storm imo!!! Kharma dog!!!!
I remember the mayor of Toronto called in the Army. Why, who cares it took additional days to clean. Its an embarrassment but it won't happen now. It used to snow more back in the days too. Used to get good 30-40 cm Snow some times. Anyways i remember during that time every one in Canada was laughing at Ontario. Three and half feet of snow is quite serious especailly in a area where 5 million people live unlike the rest of empty Canada.

Alpha Centauri
Lil is actually right.

Brits are hypocrites with weather. We get snow and be all happy, then we get bored and wish for the Sun. The Sun comes out, burns the shit out of us and then we walk around going "Raaaaaain. RAAAAAAAAIN!".

We get a centimetre of snow and London's at a standstill. When I was in NYC I had snow up to my shins, everyone was just strolling through it.

-AC

Silver Stardust
Probably because in the US we're used to dealing with snow. Frankly, there has to be at least 6 inches on the ground before I'll honestly care wink

manny321
but it was funny 15 cm fell IN Toronto it was national news this week. It got -40d's in Alberta in the winter and it was hardly mentioned. The worst when inches and inches and inches of ice covered Quebec in 1998. That was serious stuff, 23 people died over a million didn't have electricity some even for a month in the freezing winter.

manny321
Its not people who get scared the media keeps playing and playing and playing it and then it was nothing much. Were used to snow alright. I don't call 15 cm a snowstorm. 25 is a good dumping. 35+ oh lets have fun!!!!! One odd thing is we are getting more and more serious T-storm up here every year. I am more worried about super cells then your avergae snowstorm because were not used to that kind of stormy summer weather.

Fire
lol if there is like today 1 inch of snozw I'm happy cause usually thats about it for this part of belgium

manny321
i think the big problem with the blizzard of 1999 was the city of Toronto joined some other town to create a bigger toronto and this caused many management problems. I doubt Khrama dog if it snowed that much again they will call in the army. That was so embarrassing!!!!!!!!!
Damn the rest of Canada always laugh at at Ontario if it ever gets a problem even a serious one like SARS. We had SARS 44 people died, no one cared in Canada. I bet if the SARS hit somewhere else it would have gotten much serious.

SlipknoT
I love when a huge storm is all over the news

manny321
Yeah, 42 inches of snow in about 3 days. Now that was a interesting week!!!!

botankus
I'm not sure if you knew this, but 50 years (I believe) ago when Hurricane Hazel hit the North Carolina coast at Category 4 strength, a lot more people ended up dying in Toronto a few days later from the tropical storm than in the entire state of North Carolina from the Hurricane.

KharmaDog
I think you answered your own question as to why they called in the army. I don't think it was embarrassing, it was a smart thing to do, probably the only smart thing Mayor Lastman ever did. Toronto is an economic hub of the country, and if it's shut down for days at a time the whole country suffers. The aditional manpower and machinery was needed to get rid of all that snow, and they did a great job. It's not a soldiers sole job to kill, they serve their country anyway they can, and they did a great job.

Jackie Malfoy
Yea it is stupid.I hate it when that happens.Lucky my family does not do that.But I know alot of neighbors does it.It is just snow people little white stuff get a life for goodies stake! mad bewareofsnow

KharmaDog
What the heck are you talking about? And Blizzards are pretty serious stuff. Not to mention it's "for goodness' sake" not "for goodies stake"
blowup

botankus
Jackie M's post is too vague to know whether or not she's talking about a blizzard or not, to begin with.

Someone earlier in this thread said they love it when a big storm's on the news. That's true. I do not watch any snowstorm footage, but I will definately devote some time for Hurricanes since I live in one of the Hurricane Alleys. I've learned about 100 times more about hurricanes than I ever did since I moved here. Though they do get blown out of proportion a bit, they are very interesting phenomenons.

PVS
"if it wasnt for my horse, i would have never spent that year in college"

Linkalicious
Yesterday it was hardly sprinkling and I heard the nightly weather girl say "this weather is causing some major problems throughout all of southern california"

Yah friggin right...it's not like the 200 car pile up we had on that foggy day 2 years ago

sonstar
Hmm weve had snow all week -thats not settled how annoying is that sad

manny321
Toronto is the only city people know outside Canada.

Yes i know hurricane Hazel. There were many news stories about the 50th anniversary. Many died and it reminds us that even in Canada we can get hit by hurricanes.
However a good point is when hurricane Juan hit nova Scotia at cat 2 strength. The weather channel said this was serious!! Were not joking a strong hurricanes will hit Canada. It was quite serious as Canada has not seen a hurricane of cat 2 and higher since god nows when! MAny died and many were left unprepared. We have a false sense here that in Canada we can't get hit by hurricanes or even volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis. Actually we got hit by all of those expect a volcano however during the mount st Helen explosion in 1980, Vancouver and Victoria were hit by ash.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.