I withdrew my son from school

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cosmic_Beings
I'm really frustrated right now. Yesterday, my son came home from kindergarten. Unbeknownst to me, yesterday they brought in two gay men and explained to the children that it's ok to be homosexual. My son came home and asked me questions about marrying boys, and I had a talk with the teacher, and finding out that it's true, I withdrew him immediately. What do you think of this, and what would you have done?

SlipknoT
Wow....They did that while they're still in Kindergarten?

Filth
I think its important for children to learn this but that age is far to young you did the right thing in my opinion.

Clovie
blink it sounds really weird..
i understand that tolerance is important..but somehow..it sounds strange..they shouldn't show kids the homesexual model of the family as a better one..confused

in short words: i think you did good

Arsenal
What a creepy school.

pr1983
i'd have done the same thing...

manny321
thats wacked. I undertsnad in grade 8 or 9 but kindergarten???

Corran
There is a point where children need to be made aware of homosexuality, but Kindergarted age is too young for them to fully understand I think, even if the school think it is reasonable to do so they should have at least asked the parents permission to do so. When I was at school we had sex-ed classes at about 11, but we had to have parents permission to go into these classed - I think ALL the parents allowed this (I guess it saves them a job). I think you should point out to the school that they should have asked for parents permissions and they should now make all the parents aware of what they did, albiet retrospectively, as not all the kids would have asked their parents questions so some parents will not be aware of what they did.

ladygrim
my god .....as if thats mad ...

botankus
I have trouble actually believing this story. What city was this in? If it was San Francisco, Atlanta, or a handful of other cities, it may sound more plausible.

A4E
blink
Well I think is better for the kids to learn about homosexuality when they're young, it makes it easier to uinderstnad it, if they learn about it when they're in eigth grade, they'd have their head "prgrammed" by then, it would be harder to understand it and accept it at that age

Df02
way too young to even be considering teaching them about homosexuality.
its too young to be teaching them about any form of sexuality tbh!

KharmaDog
Where did this happen? This is such a strange story that I'm sure someone would have reported it to the authorities or news. I'm a little sceptical, I think most people(yes, even homosexuals) have enough common sense to realize how inappropriate this was.

Like I said I'm a little sceptical of this story. What did the principal say? What did other parents say?

Jackie Malfoy
I think you did the right thing.Bring in that sort of thing is a no no.Specailly in KA.I mean it is bad enough we have people like that but for a school to force someone to learn it.
Well to me it is horrible.Good choice!JMthumbsuptomato

DenKi
Is just Education and just explane to him about it (what you have done) You shouldn't take him out of kindergarden, thats abit too much...

Just talk to the other parents about it, there no point taking him out, its not a big thing or anthing

KharmaDog
It never ceases to amaze me, the accepting and loving nature of the christian heart.

pr1983
don't pain us all with one brush if you don't mind...

Reborn Again
Exposing your son to that sort of media at such a young age will confuse him. If I were in your position I'd probably do the same thing and then complain to the Board.

Kosta
I think people should be allowed to make up their own mind as they grow up, and as for the school, I'd sue their asses for not sending out consent forms. Its like "Well if youre not a supporter of gay rght and we cant change YOUR minds, we'll shove our beliefs down the throats of your pre school aged children!"

KharmaDog
I think the people to whom that was intended got the message. It was not a general brush stroke, but a particular jab.

PVS
maybe we should execute them all, right jackie? hitler
really though, its amazing how you post such bigotry in such a cute manner.

anyway, this story is bullshit. it would be on every damn news station in the country as this is such a hot issue. no way is it true.

if for the sake of arguement it WAS true thats a scummy thing for a teacher to do. teaching tolerance is important, but show me one K student who knows what the hell sexual identity means.

finti
would you do/react the same (way) if they came and preached christianity condeming all non believers to hell?

PVS
if its in a catholic school, thats exactly what parents sign up for.
in a public school that would be grounds for a lynching imo.

finti
the situation , if it happened, was uncalled for. Wouldnt have withdrawn my kid from the school but I would have raised the question about if this was necessary in kindergarten

Draco69
It's very unnecessary to discuss sexuality to children who don't even know what sexuality or sex for that matter is.

A better age would be middle school.

PVS
i think whatever age they teach sex ed.
it just makes sense

finti
never too late to start to learn PVS

PVS
laughing out loud where DO babies come from anyway? confused

Linkalicious
actually, I heard that like 1/3 of the population of the South Pacific Islands don't understand where babies come from.

I wish I could remember the exact country, but I heard it on the radio today coming in to work.

People didn't understand that sex produces babies...and that the bleeding down there is a natural thing.

They thought babies "just happened" and that the bleeding was from a vein. messed

dark1365
I'd have moved him to a different school.

Napalm
Good for you cosmic beings. Kids shouldn't have to learn about queers at such a young age. Hell, they shouldn't be introduced to sex at all at that age

Capt_Fantastic
Wipe those smiles off your faces and pull your pants up, this story is clearly bull shit. You guys should be bright enough to figure that out without someone having to tell you. LOL...right!

Fire
might be a tad young to explain it, but I would be all for it

Ushgarak
Err...

True or not, why is everyone saying this is about sexuality? It isn't, it was about tolerance. Sex has no part of the situation described. It was purely about saying that some couples or two men or two women, as opposed to a man and a woman. Merely weidening the definition of the family unit, which is fine for kids that age.

Clovie
but they shouldn't show that model of the family to so young kids..

Fire
and why not?

I mean if everyone will always make such a big f***ing deal out of it it will never be accepted.

Clovie
because then they should also make a meeting with a heterosexual marriage messed to show to the kids different ways of spending life confused

coz what i understood from 1st post is that they told children that it is the better way.

Storm
I have no problem with it at all. To me, homosexuality is as normal as heterosexuality.

Fire
to quote the post:"two gay men and explained to the children that it's ok to be homosexual."

IMO there is a big difference between someone saying it is ok and someone saying it is better.

but to do it correctly idd they should also invite a straight family and a lesbian family

Clovie
i misunderstood a bit. sowwie.

Fire
NP, I just get a tad annoyed by the bigotry of certain members on this board.

finti
yeah let the kids watch the L word too laughing out loud

Fire
laughing out loud

Linkalicious
Children DO NOT need to learn material such as that at such an early age...period.

Young, Kindergarten children do not need to be educated on matters such as that when other things like math, reading, and writing are all much more important at that stage in development.

A Kindergartener will do almost anything you tell them...or anything they see a grown up doing.

If you tell a 6 year old that being gay is the way to be...then, IMO, he is more likely to grow up gay than a child who was never exposed to this sort of material at such an early age. They aren't old enough to form truly independent decisions for themselves, so they are more inclined to "follow the group" or "do as they are told."

Wait til they hit their teens....if that's when sexual education is introduced...then that's when homosexual education should be introduced as well.

Ushgarak
They don't NEED that, that's the default! That's like starting talks on racial equality in the Western world by saying it is ok to be White.

Mr Parker
agreed.thats appalling. sick

Ushgarak
It is NOTHING to do with sexual education. And the importance of equality and non-doscrimination should certainly fo in at formative years.

Fire
Link I doubt they'll "have a bigger chance to grow up gay" (an idea which I don't believe in) from one meeting in Kindergarten

half of them prolly already forgot it by the time they are 12

Bardock42
Well they should have asked the parents first

Clovie
i'm terrible sorry, but i don't understand your point.

Fire
Lol well maybe in america altho I don't think they would have to do that in Belgium

Storm
Children from heterosexual couples accept from an early age that their parents' relationship is considered the norm while children from homosexual couples also accept their parents' relationship/preference. I will make my children clear that both are equal.

Ushgarak
The reason that gay coupling needs to be portrayed as ok is because it is different and would otheriwse be at great risk of being seen as wrong because of that.

Heterosexual marriage is not different at all, it is what they are USED to, and it doesn't need explaining!

Fire
Idd they should know that (and a lot of other things about human rights and equality as early as possible)

Clovie
okaaay.. i guess i got it...
though i still think it should be done differently.

Corran
Yes, it should be explained to the kids, but the parents should have at least been asked or warned that this talk was going to take place, so that they could decide whether they think the child is ready for it or not. Hell we were 11 before we were told anything and even then we had to get permission from our parents to be allowed to take part in the classes. As a parent I think it only fair that we are made aware of what the children are learning.

Also Kindergarten is wayyy to soon for this type of discussion.

Silver Stardust
I don't see the problem with showing kids that a homosexual couple is okay...if they learn this when they're young they'll be more accepting of it.

Corran
There's no problem, but the parents should have been forewarned at the very least. Plus 5 or 6 is way to young at that age they will not understand the concept of it, at least wait a few more years.

Fire
aware maybe Corran, but being able to deny your child from learning the basic value that all humans are equal I do not think a parent should have that right

Linkalicious
You don't know that...

Cosmic never went into depth about what was discussed by these visitors...

I agree that it is important to teach equality and non-descrimination, but why at this age? Why do you feel it is appropriate at an age so young?

Kindergarten is about nap time, snacks, recess, and finger painting...it's not about sexual orientation.

What if Jimmy and his best friend Stevie go around school at 6 years old proclaiming they're a "gay couple" just because they are best friends and that they are too young to fully understand all the aspects of the relationship?

Fire
6 might idd be a bit young, however I do not think anyone here has enough expertise to even big and make a decision on that.

Corran
I think the parent has EVERY right to decide 'when' their child is old enough, I don't think they should be able to deny them but as I keep saying 5 or 6 is too damn young, they'll do like Link has said and start called each other Gay because they do not fully understand the issues.

Storm
What' s the difference with Jimmy and Susie going around at 6 years old proclaiming they' re a married heterosexual couple?

Fire
well I already covered my position on the age thing.

idd the 'when' part is tricky, but if you are gonna keep giving parents the possibility (wiv those damn permission slips) to keep denying it then I fear some will do it. so maybe at the age of 11 there shouldn't be anymore permission slips

Linkalicious
Well that's your belief.

My belief is that sexual orientation is a direct result of the environment that you grow up in and not by "genetics" or "choice"

If a child, at a young age, was brought up to believe that being gay was "the norm" then that child, IMO, is more inclined to grow up gay.

It's my opinion that these children are being introduced to this subject entirely too early...they should atleast be in grade school...preferably middle school.

How do you explain being gay to a pack of 5-6 year olds?

"Well kids, being "gay" means that either two boys like eachother or two girls like eachother"

Young boys think girls have "cooties" why wouldn't they think "being gay" is "cool" when all of their best friends are gay. You can't talk about the subject without an understanding of what that relationship involves...

Silver Stardust
Very good point yes and that does happen with 5 and 6 year olds, too.

Fire
I'm not explaining it to them Link, I'm not qualified so

Linkalicious
at that age...girls have "cooties"

circle, circle, dot, dot.

Silver Stardust
Guys have cooties as well stick out tongue

Most children grow up in a family with heterosexual parents and this is shown to be the norm to them. What's the problem with them also learning that homosexuality is normal? A kid knowing that being gay is okay doesn't mean they're gonna go "I think I'll be gay when I get older!" But then again, I don't believe that it's a choice.

(and does anyone besides me think this story is complete BS? Because this is the sort of thing that would be all over the news, in the states at least....)

SeptemberRain
IN this day and age society is more open to gays anyway. So kids are bound to learn about them without schools having to teach them about it

botankus
If you'd have taken the time to read page one of this thread, you would have seen it's validity was doubted from the beginning.

Bardock42
Maybe Richard Dublin will come on again

SaTsuJiN
Definately agree.. sexuality and sex should not be the concerns of children .. however considering the fact that even highschoolers dont get taught about sex until their 2nd year.. Im having my doubts.. as stated through out this thread

Linkalicious
You're damn right they do.

Guys are the ones who start with cooties, but they can pass them to girls like an STD by pulling their pony tails. yes

Silver Stardust
I did read the whole thread.

KidRock
i bet those 2 gay men were trying to turn your son gay and the rest of the kids. All those gays are alike.

Storm
Absolutely, that was their goal thumb up roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
OMG! A school teaching kids tolerance and acceptance!! What are they thinking!?

Julie
I would have withdrawn my kid so fast he'd have gotten whiplash in the progress...check out the private schools

debbiejo
It's a parents responsibility to teach their kids about that kind of stuff. I've also heard about some of that kind of stuff going on. They use the guise of tolerance, but that isn't their real agenda.

There is always home schooling too.

WindDancer
I think is too early for kids to learn about sex or sexual preferences. I can't blame you for withdrawing your kid from school. He is at tender age to be introduce to the real world. As he gets older he will learn about love and sexual preference.

DCLXVI
Wow.....I read the first post of this page, and threw up.
I really did.

Tptmanno1
OK I think there are a couple things that need to be addressed first.
Firstly, why did you pull your kid out of school, was it because they were teaching about sexuality during kindergarden or because they had people say that being gay is ok? I can understand the sexuality, Children should not be taught about sex before say middle school/5th grade, but if it was the latter, then that is just bigatrous, (Is that a word?) and completly wrong.
Secondly, what if they two men were the parents of a child in the kindergarden? Would it be different then?

Kosta
Depending on whhat faith they were preaching. If it was Orthadox, then Id be fine with it, but I still think they shouldd seek the parents consent.

Kosta
I agree with you 100%, exept fo one thing, youre born homosexual you dont develop it, it may take a while to discover, but its a medical fact that homosexuality is actually (I dont know how to put this nicely so please dont take offence) a mentall defect or illness (And dont houndd me because I said it, I dont know how else to say it) that youre born with, say like OCD or schitsofrenia. Thats actually another reason as to why homosexuals are often so smart, etc, cuz look at schitsofrenics 90%of them are extremely intelligent, because in order fot the mind to be tangled there has to be something there to tangle.

Afro Cheese
Children who are too young to know what being gay is don't need to know that being gay is ok. Having a problem with a serious issue like that being taught to your kid at such an early age is not homophobic at all.. tolerating people's differences doesn't include letting people teach your kids whatever they want without your consent.

A lot of people feel that kids that age are too young to be taught what homosexuality is nonetheless teaching them that it's ok, and I agree. Before you tackle any of that the kid has to know what sexuality is, then once they understand why homosexuals are different they can learn to accept them for who they are.

Just telling the kids "being gay is ok" before they have the understanding of what being gay is is just like teaching race tolerance by going to a white kid who's never seen a black person and saying "black people are people just like you and me and should be accepted." If the kid has no understanding of what a black person is he'll be left with nothing but questions.

Adam_PoE
Consider for a moment that almost all gay men and lesbians have grown up in a heterosexual world, with very little exposure to homosexuality. The overwhelming majority of gay men and lesbians were raised by heterosexual parents, educated by heterosexual teachers, and socialized with heterosexual siblings and friends. They were surrounded by heterosexism in magazines, books, movies and on television, yet they grew up to be gay.

Then when they are older, Jimmy and Stevie can reflect on the time they proclaimed to be a gay couple and have a good laugh.

Your belief is completely wrong.

Scientists at the University of Illinois at Chicago recently combed the entire human genome for determinates of sexual orientation... and found them on chromosomes 7, 8, and 10.

In the most comprehensive study of gay parenting, the American Academy of Pediatrics found that children raised by homosexuals are no more likely to be gay then children raised by heterosexuals.

If the responsibility of teaching these things is left to parents, then most children will be taught misinformation such as "sexual orientation is a direct result of the environment that you grow up in" and "if a child is brought up to believe that being gay is 'the norm' then that child is more inclined to grow up gay".

According to the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics, homosexuality is not a mental illness or emotional disorder.

FeceMan
Well, it was for one day. But it's not considered that way because the APA's definition of mental disorder is a little different than most people's.

But, I still think the idea of homosexuality should NOT be introduced at such an early age. Just let the buggers grow up and learn on their own what 'gay' is. But make sure they stop using it as a synonym for stupid, pointless, poorly-implemented, unfortunate, etc., etc., etc.

Kosta
It is actually a disorder. The brain instead of recognising Estrogen from women as being the sexually appealing hormone recognises testosterone. So strictly speaking, it is a disorder, maybe not mental, but a disorder it is.

Adam_PoE
First, men and women produce both estrogen and testosterone.

Second, the brain is not capable of detecting hormone levels in the blood streams of other people.

Furthermore, what you are referring to are pheremones and it is a structure in the nose that recognizes them. One can and does recognize the pheremones of both sexes but only finds the pheremones of the sex he is attracted to pleasing.

FeceMan
Those facts have no bearing whatsoever on homosexuality being a disorder or not. The APA defines a psychological disorder as a pattern of behavioral or psychological symptoms that cause significant personal distress and impair the ability to function in one or more important areas of life, or both .

Adam_PoE
It is not a disorder by either classification.

FeceMan
^ Yeah, I'm agreeing with you smile.

Imperial_Samura
Hmm, an interesting situation. I find it strange that they would be going into sexuality at that young age, but then, how in depth was it? And what was the context? Surely the school wouldn't just decide one day to have gay guest speakers? While I think it is important to be taught tolerance (even at a young age) I think Kindergarten is a bit to early, and really, it more a parents responsibility at that point. But yes, I think to a degree you were right with you decision, as it does seem to be an odd thing to do on the schools behalf, although it would be interesting to know "why" they did it? IS one of the new students the child of a homosexual couple? Or is one a teacher or something? Something that might need explaining to stop disruption later on?

Also its interesting recently in Australia a children's show called play school (a show for kids 4 onwards) featured a little story about a kid, like any other story on there, except she had two mommies. There was quiet a lot of outrage about it, which I considered silly, as there was nothing sexual of confronting in it, it just showed that there were many types of family in the world, all of whom can exist as loving, close families.

Reborn Again
Making up your mind when you come of age is fine but to be brainwashed from infantsy isn't. cool

pierreismine33
i have no problem with gays and lesbians!!! they in my mind are perfectly ok. i think u over reacted

Kosta
Youre just proving my point here. Your brain proceses the information that your nose picks up, and if your brain finds pleasing the pheromones that men send out (and tehre IS a difference between the pheromones of me and women) then there is something not right with your brain. Pure and simple, nature intended for men to be attracted to women, not for men to be attracted to men.

I'm not some kind of nazzi though, dont get me wrong, I dont believe in gay bashing or anything, I'm just trying to prove a valid point.

Kosta
That was actually my point too erm

Adam_PoE
Nature did not intend for anything.

Silver Stardust
So teaching kids to be accepting of others is considered brainwashing?

BlackC@t
That's wack huh

They should have asked you if it was okay first.

Don't worry about your son asking if it's okay to marry boys, my brother did the same thing when he was 5 laughing
and he's horny for a girl really bad sick

Kosta
Is THAT right? How is that babies happen then? Did nature not intend for that?

shellie
I agree, its the schools responsibility to inform you of what your child is being taught, especially in this case. I doubt it was meant as a sex-ed class so Im not even gonna go there right now. As I think it was Fire who said, doing what they did or supposedly did, they should have also discussed heterosexual and lesbian relationships. All this not happening of course till signed forms giving permission to teach it to your child to begin with.

I also agree on the age issue, why bring that up when thy are still learning to tie their shoes, write their name and count to 100. Having 4 daughters I know that at 5-6 years old, they would have been more confused had this been done in there class.

Fire is right in the since that its teaching human rights however at that age, it should be taught or better yet learned from parents actions at home. Its at that age that children look to their parents and mimic their behavior most. Its my job as a parent to teach my children how to treat other people and the schools can to a point as long as i agree with what they are teaching.

Another thing to consider is the childrens religious background...some religions as we know flat out condemn homosexuality. Thats another reason to get parents permission first as it may go against their religion...

I sat here thinking about this as a parent and now also a Girl Scout Leader. While not exactly a teacher in the same exact way, it is my responsibility to teach my scouts equality and acceptance of all lifestyles but with my Girl Scout parents permission. They always have the right to know whats going on before hand. I teach this age group and Im telling you now...They are no where near ready at this age to be put in a setting where you are going to use this as a lesson much less have real life models as a "show and tell" kinda thing. messed

forumcrew
you could have a strong case to sue that school

finti
on what grounds

BackFire
'I'd like to sue this school for educating my child"

shaber
I think the original post may be trying to imply that they were saying that homosexual lifestyle is better than the heterosexual one BF confused

Finti> The whole thing's above your head.

Silver Stardust
No, in the original post he said that they said it was okay to be homosexual. Nothing said or implied that they said it was better, just people are taking it that way.

BackFire
Shaber: Where'd you come to that conclusion? That wasn't mentioned at all in the original post.

Merely that a homosexual lifestyle is okay.

shaber
Other members have inferred it so... :shrug* messed

BackFire
Well good for them, unfortunately they totally pulled that idea out of their ass.

Imaginary
I agree, the school should have asked for consent first. It's different when you're older because in Australia learning about different types of emotional and sexual relationships is part of the high school (keep in mind high school is from 7-12 here) curriculum. However in kindergarten, I believe that it's ultimately up to the parents of a little kid to decide whether they're ready to learn about homosexuality.

BackFire
As Ush pointed out, this obviously wasn't about sexuality, it was about tolerance and acceptance.

Silver Stardust
Exactly. Which kids should be taught.

finti
we can clearly see you really got it roll eyes (sarcastic)

Imaginary
I see your point there BF and Star, but I still believe it should be up to the parents. It's up to them what they think is suitable. I really don't have anything against it though.

shaber
I agree with Imaginary, it is very authoritarian for a government to just assume they know better than the parents.

KidRock
the point is the parents should have known about it.

shaber
Kidrock's right! eek!

Silver Stardust
What if the parents decide they know better by teaching their children to not be accepting of others who may be different?

Fire
I'm still happy that this kinda stuff is very rare (I never heard of it) in Belgium. Here they would just do it, and there wouldn't be a damn thing anyone can do about it

shaber
What if the government decide to impress something really awful upon them as they might well do and is more likely? At least the parents are more likely to have the right motives for the children.

Fire
Well I don't know in which country you live but the Belgian Government does not try to impress something really awful upon them. In belgium we have a WORKING Opposition who would be on that case so fast there would be mass protesting.

shaber
That's good Fire. I was addressing Silver Stardust and live in the UK.

Fire
ah ok my bad, still I doubt that in the UK the government could get away with it. (altho I'm not a big fan of a two-party system and all) I think UK opposition would be quite hard on its own government as well

Silver Stardust
That is one thing, telling kids they should be accepting of others is another.

This is something I've actually had experience with; at my high school last year we organized a Day of Silence, where participants didn't speak all day long; the point was to promote tolerance of homosexuality. This was entirely student-run and organized. However, once some parents found out about, they kicked up a huge fit saying that the teachers were promoting homosexuality and allowing us to disrupt classes, and basically were trying to make it so that there wouldn't be another Day of Silence at my school again. As far as I know, there'll be another one this year.

But see, my point is, why is promoting tolerance seen as a bad thing and as pushing a certain viewpoint on people? I don't get it. Being tolerant and accepting of homosexuals doesn't mean YOU'LL become gay.

(and I live in the US where currently Bush is trying VERY hard to outlaw gay marriages)

Imaginary
I think what Bush is doing is wrong... but then again I always think what Bush is doing is wrong... erm

If that's the case then I personally think that the parents are narrow minded pricks but there's nothing we can do... teach kids about tolerance and acceptance and the parents that don't agree complain... don't teach them and other people complain... consent is one of the best forms of compromise in this situation I can think of.

shaber
The major parties are all the same - composed of control freaks.

Capt_Fantastic
All the suposed conditions are not the ponit. Here istne states these kids shouldn't have been exposed to this. Despite what peple want to pretend what happened, the fact remains that homosexuality can't, nor couldn it be, forced on someone else.

hayden's minx
At that age they are TOO impressionable, any right minded person would wait until they are a little older, I'm all for equal rights and everything, but teaching about homosexual relationships at the same time as trying to portray the idea of hetrosexual relationships is too much for little kids. Think what that has done to their development really.

Fire
Well we don't have a major party to be honnest all "big" parties are pretty close together. so they always have to be in agreement with atleast one, usualy two others

FeceMan
Well, yes, as nature is not a sentient being, nor does it need to be personified.

Lydia_J
That was way too young an age, i can see that they want to teach them to tolerate homosexuals but teaching them that it is completely normal at such a young age is not a good idea

xLiNdS x 622x
i think its good to teach them that at a young age because they will better understand it rather than older kids who's brains have already made up their minds about whether they think it is acceptable or not. of course they should've told the parents about it and gotten their permission. i know if it was my kid i would be furious because i would want them to learn these things from me. pulling him out of school is a little extreme dont u think?..u could've explained to him what you thought about it. it's normal for kids to be curious and ask questions so i think you should let him explore the topic on his own and let him kno where u stand.

Afro Cheese
I don't think it's normal for kids to be curious about homosexuality in kindegarten.

Red Superfly
Kids don't even get taught about marraige anyway. Why should gays get special treatment? That's not equality. It's a subject that doesn't lie within a schools responsibilty, in my opinion. When my primary school did sexual education, I had to get a consent form signed by my parents. The same thing should have been done here. That's sloppy and arrogant to ignore it and assume it's all fine.

Kids at that age don't care. Most boys think girls have diseases until puberty anyway, and vice versa. My mind boggles to think how teaching kids at such a young age about homosexuality is a good idea. It's so counter productive too.

Why are kids being taught about homosexuality anyway? Is it to educate them and therefore try and prevent under age pregnancy like conventional sex education? How? Since same sex relationships mean there is no pregnancy risk involved - whats the danger? Sure, HIV and AIDs is a problem - but it's the same risk that hetero relationships face.

Gays, bisexuals and heterosexual issues should be discussed at the same time, under one big umbrella. Segregating them into little clubs like this and educating gay relationship stuff one day, then about hetero stuff another day, does nothing to unify people, it just keeps them in their own little bubbles. Doing something like having a "gay day" like this school in question went about EVERYTHING totally backwards. It just makes the kids in question view homosexuality as a little club you can join - when in actual fact there should be no "clubs", Schools should be educating tolerance at an early age, not sexuality.

Just as children learn to crawl before they walk - kids should not be told about this stuff until they have the base layers of "tolerance" to first understand it and take it on board. The fact that your kid came home asking awkward questions proves how much of a failure it really was. I just think it's very wrong, at that age. It won't achieve anything apart from making many parents severely embarrassed, and angry. What a stupid thing to do. This is PC gone mad - this world is a joke.

BlackC@t
Corran, I see where your coming from.

But, the main base of thier uh...'show and tell' was acceptance and tolerance.

Somewhere down the road you'd have to tell him to accept and tolerate others.

Darth Revan
I can't remember ever not knowing about homosexuality... But that's probably because I have a gay uncle and my parents had to explain it to me at a pretty young age. If a kid asks, you should tell them as simply as possible, but that's kinda creepy that they brought in a gay couple and were telling them about it.

shellie
the thought of this even happening is ridiculous...but doesnt it seem wierd that that the same person that made this thread seems to be the same in Fecemans sig. could be me being silly though. erm

shaber
Shellie - it may be another of his little pranks.

Darth - I think I had it layed out to me most explicitly when I was ten. I had the matter of rape explained about then too when being taught about Verulaneum.

finti
feceman has had a history of quoting other posters in his sig

shaber
you have a history of posting spam.

Darth Surgent
I didn't realize who the topic-creator was until shellie pointed that out. Nice work! thumbup

----

1. This event definitely did not occur.
2. This would not happen in a kindergarten class, and you would be hard-pressed to find this happening in high school.
3. Teaching tolerance should always be encouraged, though this (in a hypothetical situation) is a bit too early for such complex matters.
4. Cosmic_Beings is full of it. yes
5. See #4

finti
yeah like what?

Bardock42
Oh just admit it finti laughing

FeceMan
Yeah, Cosmic Beings...isn't good.

Bardock42
I like Richard Dublin though...I wish he was real sad

shaber
Remember last time he was saying that he was a minor.... he would have to be older to have a child in kindergarten.

Frosty Beverage
that's sick. take him out of that school.

Cosmic_Beings
rofl

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>