what do you like the most of lotr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

liiiiiiiiitle
i like everything about lotr! the movies, the books,(ihave not read them), the characters, and the orcs!

what do you like the most from lotr? please share it with us big grin

shadowy_blue
How can you like the books if you haven't read them? confused..just asking though.

Anyway, I think I made a poll about this a very long time ago but these are the primary things I love about it. smile

The richness in detail of the LotR universe as a whole.
The richness in detail of the languages and lore of the LotR universe.
The richness in detail of the geography and history of Middle-earth.
The movie that Peter, Fran and Philippa made because they did such a good adaptation of the story.
The movie and the way the cast, set decoration, costumes, and scenery make the book seem so much more vivid.
The epic way in which it was written.
The Men, not the hot guys, mind you. I mean the Men as in the race. Numenorean, Gondorian, Rohirrim, Haradrim, Easterlings, all of them.
And the book of course, that's the main source of all these. smile

big grin

Exa
Everything, the details, everything and the languages ^^ and everything.

shaber
The Maiar.

The hobbits are actually rather unmemorable.

Phoenix
liiiiiiittle is a sock of BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGER, you dig? laughing out loud

he's been banned already! big grin

Kitoky
laughing

Fëanor
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!

YOU DIG?? laughing out loud

sauron
no there was

biiiiiig

then there was

giiiiiiiiant

now theres

liiiiittle

YOU DIG

Alli
Well seens u ask i like....................... Orlando Bloom ummmm billys ok i surpose and ummmmmm viggos a bit old but he will do.
oh yeah and the languages(elvish) and the books are amazing u gotta read um they get better as they go along and by the last book ur be hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Alli
Happy Dance Happy Dance : Happy Dance orlando bloom, orlando bloom i love orlando bloom
sing it with me orlando bloom orlando bloom

pipschick
I love everything about Lotr really, the story, the characters esp Merry, Pippin and Legolas, and the rest of the cast.
The special effects are brilliant too, and the scenery
I just love it all to be honest big grin

WindDancer
Whoever that person is quite obvious he/she wants.....ATTENTION! Ignore that person, the less attention he/she gets that person will stop coming here.

mors823
I loved the battle scenes. All of them were great esp the Last Alliance and Pelennor Fields. They were great. The drame of Pelennor Fields was beyond belief

Discos
mmmm, sounds like a bit of a newbie thread but meh...

anyways, the behind the scenes footage I have seen are crazy, I cant believe there are so much blue screens, I found it very very awesome how they did Gollum! Rock on!

I didnt much like the scene with the Mamikul in ROTK as the orcs retreating looked a bit "fake" as I would say.

Discos - Foolish Mortals, cant you see this is the movie of a lifetime!

azszhz
i loved everything... from the finishing details gone mostly unnoticed in the movies to the smallest passage in the books

Lotr is the best and nothing can change my mind

Discos
agreed,

the books are more interesting i think, the movies detailed it out to be a bit for simple for the simple-tins who aint read the book

Discos - those foolish mortals

A.D. Skinner
Where else can you go and find yourself in an entirely different world like you do when you watch LOTR or read the books !

I never get tired of watching the films, and could read the books over and over, for each time I do, I uncover something new I did not notice the time before.

tassie
^^ yes yes

everything, esp. the brilliant man who wrote the books love

mors823
In a whole, the enite Middle Earth. So much history and people and places. The land is nice (execpt Mordor, too dark)

sauron
mad

Discos
mwahaha, you pissed him off now sir,

anyways no big deal just make it nice and prettier, with some flowers and a tree here and there! and ask that bloody eye to pay rent once and a while

shadowy_blue
Just have to bump up some threads. The forum is dying. sad

I love this story because two simple Hobbits who seemed so fragile and small struggle up Mount Doom to defeat great evil.

Because the Ring of Power that tempts even the best and strongest and grows heavy and seeks to consume even the soul can be unmade.

Because Galadriel, Elrond and the other Elves choose to diminish and go into the West for the sake of Middle-earth.

Because even the Dead arise to conquer evil.

Because Faramir and Eowyn suffered so much loss and sacrifices only to find each other at the end and experience so much bliss for the rest of their lives.

Because an Ent's true name speaks the essence of who he is.

Because Tom Bombadil's house has become a place to mentally retreat.

Because two creatures from different races who have been enemies for ages became friends after all they've been through.

Because Merry and Pippin learned to be servants.

Because Strider was a wandering protector before he ever became Aragorn the warrior and king.

Because every character who seeks good over evil experiences a transformation of heart and mind and spirit because of his experiences and his comrades.

Because I am more courageous and forever changed for having known them.

Those above are kinda too literal though.

On a more serious note...

I love it because it's one of the few books where I can feel joy and sadness in the same scene and even in the same breath. Some of the finest moments in life are like that, but so very few writers seem to capture that sense of the bittersweet.

I love it because the characters seem so real and so believeable that I can not get them out of my mind or heart. Generally, when I shut the pages of a novel, even a piece of "great" literature, I may say, "That was good." or "That was not so good.", but I stop thinking about it in just a little while.

This is not the case here. I care so much about LotR that I even worry what happened to these characters after the book itself ends. I can not tell you how often I have thought and wondered about how Frodo might have changed and grown in the West. Did he ever find rest before going on beyond the circles of the world, or how lonely was he, especially after Bilbo chose to pass on? How hard it must have been to be a Hobbit when no others of your kind were there!

And what about Sam. How often did his missing friend creep in to his thoughts in what was otherwise a very fulfilled life? Did he ever wonder why he had been appointed to take one path in life, and his closest friend such a very different and separate one?

How long did Treebeard live without his beloved Entwife? And how did the last Ent feel as he came to the final sleep and knew that there would be no others of his kind behind him?

And I wonder exactly how Galadriel was received as she stepped off that ship. And how Arwen felt as she sat in the forest with no Elves and no humans about her and waited, alone, for death. I know I'm not the only one to take these things to heart, since Tolkien himself admitted in his Letters that he worried deeply about Galadriel returning to Elvenhome.

You know, part of me believes that, if I could understand the meaning in this book, I would do a lot better job sorting out the values and choices in my own life. I wish I had Aragorn's certainty about knowing that right does not change. Or I wish I could be like Treebeard, able to experience sadness but still not be unhappy. And, most of all, I need the commitment and gentleness that Frodo embodied, his ability to be obedient to the path he knew was right.

How many times have I wished that Tolkien had lived another 50 years so he could have told us more of what happened in this magical world. But that's the way life is. When you have a good thing, something that has meaning, you can't help but want more and more. Well, I am glad we have as much as we do!

And finally, I love Middle-earth so much because...Tolkien believed in his world, and he made me believe in it as well. wink

big grin

Thorondor
the person who started this thread has been banned laughing out loud

ladygrim
omg not another...neways i think i like the darkness of the movie as i am morbid ..but i also like the books ...before they were movies....so it just makes them extra special...

shadowy_blue
This isn't another thread. I just bumped it up because the forum is dying and I'm hoping that there are other people who would like to discuss about it. smile

BlackRose87
I guess the main reason i like LOTR is it was the first books i ever really got into, and got me into fantasy. I never read books but when i saw the first book i gave it a go, couldn't put it down lol.
Also i like the whole story, how it almost grabs you and puts you in the story itself, over looking.

OrliNElijahsGrl
I love it because its a world to can get lost in, a world full of elves, orcs, hobbits, ents, ents, men, wizards, i love adventures and journeys, i love the battles, i love everything about it, i love the characters, the culture, the places, its a brilliant story that amazes me in every way, i want it so bad to be real, for there to be a real middle earth that i can escape to and live in

Tassie~Cyanide~
bumping..

Arroch

Discos
The eagles eek!

Tassie~Cyanide~
The setting and characters.. big grin Even with the simplest storyline, a story's nothing without interesting characters smile

Discos
mmm....ture, as Sauron (i think) said his name is perfect and his appearence as an old man and how wise he was

Nazgul lord
WHAT!!!!!! how can you not have read the books?
in my opinion there is realyno comparison between the two the books are 110% better.

Discos
sort of a Valid point (even if it is off-topci stick out tongue )

anyways not reading the books can cloud someones judgement on characters.....Boromir was made out to be somewhat a prat in the films, but jesus he is a kick ass guy in the books

what i like mosy about LOTR is that it wasnt just made up in a short while. For instance you have Stephen King who has wrote many books.....Tolkien only had 1 focus and that was ARDA! which made it ultra ultra awesome and special

I am a Sock
LotR has something that can apeal to everyone. It has history, culture, legends, stories, language, people, places; it is real, in a way. That's what I love about it; ME could be real

Discos
I was day dreaming today whilst watching a teacher loose the whole classes attention.

anyways, i was wondering what my opening words would be if I had a class to my own and it was a Middle Earth/Arda class or bassically a Tolkien 101 class.

I was thinking along the lines of....

"First off, I want you to take your restrictions on fantasy, on your mind and anything you don't believe in and throw it out the window.....This class is about letting your imagination go and learning things which will never be"

I am a Sock
Todays lesson: Kings of Gondor and the Return of the King.
That would rock, History of ME as a class

Discos
I would try and sway away from the movies/books till mid term roll eyes (sarcastic)

they will learn the FIRST AGE and Silmarillion first

I am a Sock
Lesson 1: Origin of the Ainur

Exabyte
Thats why I love LoTR, there are no lessons, you have to "learn"/read it all yourself, you can have your own opinion about it, you dont have to think what all the others think yet there is loads to discuss about it...
the best thing is - you dont get marks for knowing or not knowing anything sick

I wouldn't want to have real LoTR lessons, prefer reading it myself.
Lessons make you so dependant stick out tongue

I am a Sock
self-taught?

I think I'll start with the history of Gondor

Exabyte

I am a Sock
you taught yourself elvish. Bet that wasn't easy. I hardly know spanish, and I took classes

Exabyte
Artificial languages are easier to teach yourself as the main problem of self-teaching, the pronounciation, can be neglected; the basics are easy to learn, and there is no slang or dialect (at least no dialects that would differ illogically from the main language)~~ I didnt teach myself anyways, I just attempted to start learning stick out tongue

Discos
I would love to have a LOTR quiz in exam conditions and whatnot smile

I am a Sock
That would be kinda fun

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.