Mission Impossible 3 (2006)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
This will be the third in a series of movies starring Tom Cruise based upon the 1960's TV series starring Martin Landau, following 1996's Mission: Impossible and 2000's Mission: Impossible 2.

Tom Cruise is indeed returning as Ethan Hunt. (4/14/04) Dark Horizons reported a recent rumor that the cast may include Scarlett Johansson, Carrie-Anne Moss (as Ethan Hunt's romantic interest). (7/19/04) Moss and Johansson are confirmed, but it's Kenneth Branagh who may (or may not be; I don't know) be playing the villain. A big fan of "Alias," Cruise picked J.J. Abrams to direct, even though he has never helmed a feature film before. But as devotees of his shows know, Abrams can handle action, intrigue and plot twists as well as anybody.

No details about this third film are currently known. I'm guessing, however, that it will feature at least one scene each of Ethan Hunt (Cruise) ripping a mask off his face, and dangling precipitously from a very high altitude.

ericadurancefan
i think if they make a third one it should be based around current events happening in the us and hunt should go renegade against mi6

cal31
All I know is that they better make it atleast half as smart of a storyline as the first one, not the dumbed down crap that the second one was.

uma040
im looking forward to seeing it...im sure tom wont let us down

DenKi
Theres not going to be a Mission Impossible 3, John Woo The Director is Filming another 6 Films at the moment!! He said in a recent interview he has no time but maybe in the future.

forumcrew
yea Cruise watched a couple seasons of alias on dvd and then asked JJ.. and JJ told him that he was too busy with tv shows but hed love to later so he said they would wait for him. im pretty excited to see what JJ can do with a movie

lau_timmy
I think M:I-3 should have more of a structure in the film including the action a bit like the first film.
But there needs to be more car chases, has anyone noticed they are no car chases in the films except for that miner one in 2 with nyah.

In the original Bond novels they is a formula for the books and it worked, it had Bond doing his pre-title mission, then it went to him going onto main mission of the novel or film, on the way he use to go Q's yard for the gadgets and meet a few cantacts also e.g. Felix Leiter .
And also the MI films needs to be more gritty and realistic touch to the films which means scrapping the plastic face-masks cause they make the film seem cheap and unrealistic. I know people will take that as offense casue they were fans of the original TV series.

There also needs to be more team aspect to the films everyone should have a part to play; equal amounts, not Ethan Hunt having everyting to do. He is the main character so he should play the integral part of the team but other IMF members should take part. Billy Baird was a clown in the second part, an Luther Stickell was just some computer-nerd.
In the 3rd film they need to give Luther more agility in his character in terms of what he can do instead of being able to do 1 thing which is hacking, they need to give him another special abilty maybe undecover operations.

Another thing is Ethan Hunt' character, he basically is some cardboard character as Stephen King would say. there's no background to his character i mean what was he before he joined IMF; maybe he was in the Navy or sumthin i dunno. but there's no much character background to him so he isn't very interesting. and also there needs to be a sense of danger to the character unlike Bond who seems invincible in the films.

Jackie Malfoy
Being that the first and second one sucked.I have no reason to want or care about this one.JM thumb down

lau_timmy
I basically want the film to consist of:

A couple of gritty french connection-esque car chases

A team aspect with their mission e.g. surveiling a terrorist or suspect

Few stylish but gritty gunfights (no doves )

one or two fist-cuffs doesn't have to involve Ethan Hunt maybe Luther instead

Classic moments from the TV series e.g. the self destruct tape, disguises like from ALIAS forget the face-masks

A LOT of character developement and a good plot not too complicated but not too simple like MI2.

lau_timmy
The reason the directors always change is by request of Tom Cruise. He wants a different director for every Mission: Impossible movie.

MI2 is what a general spy-thriller should be like, but MI2 is NOTHING like what an installment of the Mission Impossible series should be like.
Have you ever seen the actual old series? Mission Impossible is all about how the entire team interacts. MI2 was like that until 20 minutes into the movie. After that it turned into a one-man showcase for Tom Cruise. An American version of James Bond on exctacy if you wish (primarily because of John Woo). It had NONE of the good old Mission Impossible charm, besides the theme song maybe.

I seriously hope they get back to the good old style from Mission Impossible. Since much of the story is apparently taking place in Europe I'm rather optimistic it won't be like MI2. MI2's set just offered too much freedom for over-the-top action.

king_arthur
Maggie Q took over Carrie-Anne Moss's role.

vvvrulz
I agree with lau_timmy up there, MI:2 strayed from the slealth/spy nature of the first and just became all out, silly action. And I feel MI:3 will be no better, its a shame that they lose focus like this.

If you wanted mindless action, watch Rambo, this isn't what mission impossible is supposed to be about.

cal31
Originally posted by vvvrulz
I agree with lau_timmy up there, MI:2 strayed from the slealth/spy nature of the first and just became all out, silly action. And I feel MI:3 will be no better, its a shame that they lose focus like this.

If you wanted mindless action, watch Rambo, this isn't what mission impossible is supposed to be about. I completely agree, but a lot of the blame can be put on the general public who thought MI:1 was too confusing and hard to follow, so they tried to appeal to their wishes and dumb it down and make it an action movie, which helped the box office total but turned it into a worse movie. They made a choice of making a better movie or making money, they chose the money.

tabby999
want the real mission impossible, heres the plot: Tom Cruise plays himself. he has to convince a 10 year old that Scientology is a religion worth following. can he do it? will he triumph? i doubt it. directed by Ben Stiller with a budget of $100 million

lordofwar
The trailer looks good so far.

forumcrew
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/missionimpossible3.html <--- link to trailer

Solo
Looks decent.

Mando
Looks like It's got some great Visual, and also special effects. especially when he slams into that car, breaking the glass. Excellent stuff. I can't wait to see Rames and Fishburn again. It looks like Cruise took a slide on the asphalt. ouch.

SnakeEyes
Looks pretty neat. I'll probably go see it. Hopefully, it'll be better than the second one at least.

DeVi| D0do
The more I see that trailer the more it just looks like an extended, eloborate rendition of Alias (same director). I like how the films all have different styles, I just hope J. J. Abrams is going to be able to keep our attention for 2 hours as opposed to the 40 minute tv shows he usually directs...

selest
Originally posted by ericadurancefan
i think if they make a third one it should be based around current events happening in the us and hunt should go renegade against mi6

Can't agree with you more on that one, the last one was just a joke.

forumcrew
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The more I see that trailer the more it just looks like an extended, eloborate rendition of Alias (same director). I like how the films all have different styles, I just hope J. J. Abrams is going to be able to keep our attention for 2 hours as opposed to the 40 minute tv shows he usually directs...

well on tv he has to create a story that keeps your attention all season which is around 22 40 minute eps so I think he can handle a 2 hour movie just like making a couple episode special. This is his first movie though, but I have a lot of faith in him after creating Alias and Lost

lordofwar
After watching the trailer I think this looks better than the first two.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a criminal masterming? I'm in!

Paranoid Pyro
I've just seen it. About half an hour ago. If anyone has some questions, now's the time to ask.

forumcrew
what did you think?

Paranoid Pyro
What did I think...

Well, IMO it was certainly better than the 2nd one. And even the 1st one. It has a lot of scenes with the team, good stunts, not over the top like ine MI2,...

I thought it was good. But I'd like it better if you'd ask specific things. I'm not that good at reviewing movies, just ask something about the movie, a scene,...

Koenig
I am off to see MI3 next week I just hope it's a lot better than the second one. jump

forumcrew
saw it, it was pretty good. Its very predictable but its done well. The action starts and doesnt end until the movie does pretty much so you certainly will not be bored. Phillip Serymour Hoffman played a great bad ass thats for sure.

Tptmanno1
yea, I heard he stole the show...

glenncerritos
Phil ruled as always. I liked it better than the first two! It was totally predictable but the action was intense...it kept me entertained!

Solo
Thought some of the "twists" were predictable while others weren't, and totally took me off guard. PSH played a very realist villain. Loved the movie, though, thought it kicked a lot of ass. My favorite of 2006, so far.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Just saw it. Only OK. Has a couple of funny lines. Needed more Hoffman. No real tension.

grey fox
I'm gonna hurt her'

No your not , your not threatening , your just a fat bastard given a role which you can't accomplish.

MI3 Bad-guy suck's ass.

sithsaber408
This was good.

I liked it way better than 2, and about the same as 1.

Lots of action, good plot twists, and rather good acting as well.

8/10.

Solo
Originally posted by grey fox
I'm gonna hurt her'

No your not , your not threatening , your just a fat bastard given a role which you can't accomplish.

MI3 Bad-guy suck's ass.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm gonna hurt her'

MI3 Bad-guy suck's ass.

Hoffman making the threats was excellent, however there was no follow-up to his assertions. That was the problem with the movie; there wasn't any tension, as no-one got hurt (apart from the blonde girl) and there wasn't any situation that you thought would be 'impossible'. It was just a series of fun stunts and a couple of boring twists. If you compare this movie to any of the 'Bourne' movies, you'll see what it's missing.

forumcrew
I'm gonna hurt her'

MI3 Bad-guy suck's ass.

the fact that you called him bad guy and you dont even know the Oscar winning actors name says a lot about you.

Slay
I saw it last night.I wasn't that impressed actually.Hoffman was good though.

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a criminal masterming? I'm in! Yeah, yeah! Seriously! yes

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Hoffman making the threats was excellent, however there was no follow-up to his assertions. That was the problem with the movie; there wasn't any tension, as no-one got hurt (apart from the blonde girl) and there wasn't any situation that you thought would be 'impossible'. It was just a series of fun stunts and a couple of boring twists. If you compare this movie to any of the 'Bourne' movies, you'll see what it's missing.
Awwe! Damn. Now I don't wish to see it. erm

forumcrew
the movie made much less money than either of the first 2 so the series may be done. 1 opened to 62 mill, 2 to 78 and 3 to 48. (i may be slightly off but thats pretty much the numbers)

Myth
I saw this movie last night. It was way better than part 2 but wasn't quite as good as part 1. The very end (after the climax), just leaves you with this awkward feel. Those scenes just didn't seem to fit.

Darth Macabre
Saw it last night....It was ok...PSH was great, as always....It was rather predictable, but it kept me entertained with it's action.

Originally posted by Myth
I saw this movie last night. It was way better than part 2 but wasn't quite as good as part 1. The very end (after the climax), just leaves you with this awkward feel. Those scenes just didn't seem to fit.

I felt the same way. The end was just....weird.

SnakeEyes
I thought it was great!

I went in not really expecting it to be bad or good. Just as a neutral viewer and I was fairly impressed. I didn't see most of the plot twists coming until they did and the action was there from start to finish. None of the actors did a bad job, it was quite the opposite, actually. Anyway, go see for yourself, it was definitely one of the better movies of '06.

JaehSkywalker
i just watched it yesterday*MI3 of course* and it was wayyyy beyond awesome!! woot!1 woohoo! its soooo cool!

super pr*xy
saw it last night. i thought it was good. the action was good. i especially like the fact that they started with the ending... or almost the ending. keeps you interested on what the rabbit's foot was, which they never really revealed.

plus the fact that ethan went "rogue" for a second there was a refreshing, albeit predictable, twist.

and lastly, maggie q is a hottie. droolio

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I felt the same way. The end was just....weird.

Yeah, it was way too flowery for an action flick.

Tired Hiker
I went and saw it, but instead of actually watching it, I sat backwards in my seat, so really I "listened" to it, and I gotta say . . . I didn't really like it. erm

SnakeEyes
Meh... To each his own.

Tired Hiker
Dude, I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably go see it soon.

Ena
i went to watch it yesterday it was great!!

i know this is stupid but i have only seen mission impossible 1 and watched the 3rd one yesterday only because all my mates wanted to watch it lol
they begged me to watch it even though i hate movies like that nut i liked it alot lol

what do you think of the movie

JustOwnin
It had some pretty good action. The story was kind of funky though...

SnakeEyes
There is a thread on this movie literally one space above this one...

I know you're a junior member, but seriously, use common sense.

Spartan005
I just watched this last night, and Holy $hit it was Awesome! The movie was literally non-stop action from beginning to end... Cruise and Hoffman were great, and the special effects kicked ass. This movie though, took a big step away from MI1 mainly because its a lot less sneaking around and more blowing the shit out of everything. Anyway this was still the best MI yet, next to MI1 and then MI2.

C-Dic
Saw it this morning, and thought it was a fun movie. They finally gave Ethan Hunt some symbolism of a human with his relationship a la Jack Bauer (24). PSH was incredibly tense, and a very credible villain. Can't be too critical of a franchise that recycles the same plot every time, you know? It's action, not Shakespeare.

Koenig
At long last I went along and saw MI3 my verdict, better than MI2 but not as good as the first one.

RZA
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Saw it last night....It was ok...PSH was great, as always....It was rather predictable, but it kept me entertained with it's action.

I pretty much felt the same way. Predictable plot and plot twist but let's face it we don't go to watch these kind of movies on the big screen for the plot or the story, we go to see the beautiful explosions and special effects and non stop action, at least I do anyway. If a movie like this has a credible plot and a somewhat of an in depth story, it's a bonus.

PSH did a good job as always but I felt his role and character was very limited and it just didn't take full advantage of his acting range, I just felt his whole character was constricted.

Jango_Fett_A
It was an awesome movie! I saw it a few days ago and i can't wait to own it on DVD. It was amazing!

IvoryGeisha
V for Vendetta and I loved it

T.M
I watched it the other day... and it entertained me.. I was expecting much because.. well it's Mission Impossible.. as people have said the plot is obvious and so on..

But I went to watch it and we only decided to watch it about 5 minutes before the movie started.. the cinema was empty and I thought it was a fun movie.. again Philip Seymour Hoffman was a great villain and I thought Ving Rhames was great to.

overall not a movie I would watch often but for people who just want some good action and a few things blowing up.. it is a fun watch.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.