zatanna VS Dr. strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

stormfront13
who wins- i personally think they are pretty even

Kento
I think Strange could take her.

spetznaz
Dr Strange is the sorcerer supreme. He has access to magicks, for example through the use of other-dimensional entities like the Vishanti, that Zatanna simply does not even know about. The sorcerer in DC that would best match Strange blow for blow would be Fate, who is vastly more powerful than Strange, but less knowledgeable about how to use power (in that Fate has access to the Lords of Order through the Helm of Nabu, and these lords are veritable gods who have more power than Cthulhu and his fellow dark gods, and Fate has access to the power of Nabu who is one of these Lords of Order. However Fate does not know as much about the intricacies of magic as Strange, meaning that although Fate has access to MUCH higher octane power Strange has more knowledge about the finer details of magic).
Thus, Zatanna is not exactly in Strange's power levels. Fate surpasses them, but is not as knowledgeable.

But in a fight between Zatanna and Strange either could win. And this is how.
Zatanna only needs to utter a word, phrase or sentence backwards for her brand of magic to work.

This means she can just blink Strange out by saying 'elohkcalb a otni raeppasid.' And Strange would find himself in the middle of gravitational pressures beyond comprehenion as the blackhole crushed about all around him.

That is Zatanna's greatest power.

Now, Strange can overcome this quite easily (as DC super-magicians like Circe have .....although it should be noted that Circe IS a GODDESS, and i do not mean Wonderwoman type goddess. She is a true deity). What Strange could do is cast spells on himself BEFORE meeting Zatanna in battle that nullify her ability to instantaneously cause harm to him.
That way Strange will have time to cast his own spells and gestures.
He would also cast spells that basically make Zatanna unable to speak, effectively making her absolutely powerless. Again, he would have to do this BEFORE he met her, because the moment the battle begins Zatanna need only say a single word and Strange, for all his power, finds himself in a fix.
Not that Strange wouldn't be able to escape, it is just that by the time he does the fight would be over.

Thus Strange would have to cast spells BEFORE the battle, in which case he would easily win.
He would have to borrow a feather from Doom and Batman and actually use prep time.

Now, would Strange go to any battle with spells already cast on his body (Strange in Marvel and Fate in DC, including Zatanna, are all paranoid. They always cast all sorts of spells on their dwellings, thus i am pretty sure that they would ahve some personal spells on their bodies).
But what if Zatanna had also spoken a few choice words BEFORE the battle.

It is hard to declare a winner.
Strange is powerful, an Zatanna herself, though not close to being DC's most powerful magician, is pretty potent herself, and her 'word speak' enables her to face magic users far more powerful than herself . Including deities.

I want to say Strange, but it could very well be Zatanna. It would depend on who uses prep time more wisely.

eleveninches
I'd say strange is WAY above zatannas league

demigawd
So what's to stop her from saying, "etrceps eht em ekam" and calling it a day against ANY opponent? There HAS to be some limit, right?

Right?

Joker1237
I dont think Hugo Strange is that powerful, I sure Zat takes him.

DarkCrawler
We mean Doctor Stephen Strange...not the Batman villain.

stormfront13
zatanna can make anything happen ny just sauing it backwords. she can just say "magic powers leave him" backwords and he can't do really much anything.

illadelph12
laughing

Are you kidding me?

Zatanna's "say it backwards" powers won't reverse more powerful spells, that's when she has to break out real magic. Anyone familiar with Strange knows he has the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak cast to protect himself and also wears a protective amulet at just about all times. He's more powerful, more experienced, vastly more knowledgable, and supremely skilled.

Strange would win.

stormfront13
zatanna has beaten villians that have been more powerful than her before- she can make anything happen- she definitley has a chance

demigawd
So you're saying Zatanna could take away the powers of the Spectre if she wanted to? She could give herself the powers of the Prescence if she said it backwards?

That would make her the most powerful being in comicbook history. I don't buy it.

stormfront13
well in the comics anything she says backwards has happened so far

demigawd
Where does her power come from? Is it natural? If it's magic, there has to be a source, right? What is it? If we knew more about the source and nature of her magic power other than, "if she says it, it's done", then we could more accurately guage her in battle. Otherwise, she automatically wins every fight on this board.

stormfront13
i'm almost positive but i think she is magical and all I know is that she needs to say her spells backwords and they work. she once made a hunger demon eat itself just by sayin it.

demigawd
God...let me look her up. I'll be back with some more information...

kgkg
magic has a source any being stoger than the sorce of her magic will beat her.

stormfront13
k i'll wait

demigawd
ok, here's what I found.

I checked about 20 sites just now, and disregarded statements that weren't backed up by at least five other sites. This is to make sure I'm fair.

It seems that you're correct in that there's no real "limit" to her magic. In fact, she really doesn't even need to say it backwards to cast the spell.

HOWEVER - there are three important things that don't make her all-powerful.

1)The source of her power is natural - she's half-human and half homo magi or something. So her magic is internally generated, which means that it's actually fairly easy to override and undo by a full homo magi, or a sorcerer in touch with greater magic.

2)She must visualize exactly what she wants exactly how she wants it. That mean she can't just "blink the Spectre away". She'd have to visualize the Spectre, I mean completely visualize him (not just picture him in her mind - she'd need every detail of his being), and then she'd have to completely visualize what to do with him. And since it's impossible for a human to truly visualize a holy figure, she wouldn't be able to do it. However, it doesn't stop her from trying, which leads to...

3)....Her spells often going wrong. She has to completely and totally visualize things so much when she's casting her spell that in high pressure situations, she often leaves something out, which leads to bad effects. And her power is also always in flux. It's a little bit like instructing a three year old to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You can't just say, "take some peanut butter and take some jelly and spread it on the bread", because you'd end up with the child putting a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly IN THEIR JAR inside a loaf of bread. You'd have to say, "First, walk into the kitchen. Then grab a butter knife from the drawer to the left once you pull it open, then...."

So overall, she's sorta a combination of Samantha from Bewitched and Orko from He-Man. She can "theoretically" do anything, but her very human limitations make her a couple of leagues below Dr. Fate, as all the bios agree.

Strange takes this.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by spetznaz
Dr Strange is the sorcerer supreme. He has access to magicks, for example through the use of other-dimensional entities like the Vishanti, that Zatanna simply does not even know about. The sorcerer in DC that would best match Strange blow for blow would be Fate, who is vastly more powerful than Strange, but less knowledgeable about how to use power (in that Fate has access to the Lords of Order through the Helm of Nabu, and these lords are veritable gods who have more power than Cthulhu and his fellow dark gods, and Fate has access to the power of Nabu who is one of these Lords of Order. However Fate does not know as much about the intricacies of magic as Strange, meaning that although Fate has access to MUCH higher octane power Strange has more knowledge about the finer details of magic).
Thus, Zatanna is not exactly in Strange's power levels. Fate surpasses them, but is not as knowledgeable.

But in a fight between Zatanna and Strange either could win. And this is how.
Zatanna only needs to utter a word, phrase or sentence backwards for her brand of magic to work.

This means she can just blink Strange out by saying 'elohkcalb a otni raeppasid.' And Strange would find himself in the middle of gravitational pressures beyond comprehenion as the blackhole crushed about all around him.

That is Zatanna's greatest power.

Now, Strange can overcome this quite easily (as DC super-magicians like Circe have .....although it should be noted that Circe IS a GODDESS, and i do not mean Wonderwoman type goddess. She is a true deity). What Strange could do is cast spells on himself BEFORE meeting Zatanna in battle that nullify her ability to instantaneously cause harm to him.
That way Strange will have time to cast his own spells and gestures.
He would also cast spells that basically make Zatanna unable to speak, effectively making her absolutely powerless. Again, he would have to do this BEFORE he met her, because the moment the battle begins Zatanna need only say a single word and Strange, for all his power, finds himself in a fix.
Not that Strange wouldn't be able to escape, it is just that by the time he does the fight would be over.

Thus Strange would have to cast spells BEFORE the battle, in which case he would easily win.
He would have to borrow a feather from Doom and Batman and actually use prep time.

Now, would Strange go to any battle with spells already cast on his body (Strange in Marvel and Fate in DC, including Zatanna, are all paranoid. They always cast all sorts of spells on their dwellings, thus i am pretty sure that they would ahve some personal spells on their bodies).
But what if Zatanna had also spoken a few choice words BEFORE the battle.

It is hard to declare a winner.
Strange is powerful, an Zatanna herself, though not close to being DC's most powerful magician, is pretty potent herself, and her 'word speak' enables her to face magic users far more powerful than herself . Including deities.

I want to say Strange, but it could very well be Zatanna. It would depend on who uses prep time more wisely.

Greatest post ever.

eleveninches
Originally posted by demigawd
So what's to stop her from saying, "etrceps eht em ekam" and calling it a day against ANY opponent? There HAS to be some limit, right?

Right?
Well, strange cold do a magic spell and seal her mouth shut.

ebonyblade1
Strange is very powerful. He should win because he is the most paranoid person in all of comics. Doom and read may give him a run for his money in the paranoia area. But if he is too cocky with zatanna who Jason blood says has more potential then she knows, she can put him away easily. it's like a gunfight between two guys one has a colt six shooter (zatanna) and the other has a cannon(strange). While he can easily pull out the six shooter and fire off 6 shots in under 30 seconds. The other dude has to load the cannon with gun powder and a five pound ball, and pack it real good. Anyone who has read the old JLA comics knows that zatanna is fast and quick on her feet. And eventhough strange is not as slow as I portrayed him, he is not fast as zatanna.

ebonyblade1
I meant reed.

Beyonder
Originally posted by eleveninches
Well, strange cold do a magic spell and seal her mouth shut.

That or blast her to death. wink

manjaro
are you ppl kidding zattana is no pushover man! her magic is second only to gods and other beings of myth eg. Circe, and yeah Fate too, but her magic is diffterent. like marvel's scarlet witch she was naturally imbued with a sensitivty to magic, while strange had to study up for years. and its also been shown that her saying stuff backwards is only a means of concentration for she has in the past cast spells just by waving her hands and yes, say them in forward order. also, her spells are only limited by her imgination, as long as she says it backwards.

tho ,like i previously mentioned, she is second only to a few beings with magical power, but she would have no problem dealing with someone like strange who relies on artifacts and channeling energies thru dimensional entities. im not saying that she would wipe the floor with him or anything but she definatly wuld win out in the end...decidingly

manjaro
besdies how the heck is strange gonna know off the bat that he needs to heep her mouth shut. him being a magic user himself and knowing that he doesnt necessarily have to chant to weave a spell. how would he just be like,"hmm she has to say it backwards, maybe i should magic her mouth up"

and then again why wuldnt she hareverse that spell. i dont think he would just assume that. this is one of the coolset threads in a while, and i know stranges power is up there but i refuse to rule her out. she has this IMO

Beyonder
Originally posted by manjaro
are you ppl kidding zattana is no pushover man! her magic is second only to gods and other beings of myth eg. Circe, and yeah Fate too, but her magic is diffterent. like marvel's scarlet witch she was naturally imbued with a sensitivty to magic, while strange had to study up for years. and its also been shown that her saying stuff backwards is only a means of concentration for she has in the past cast spells just by waving her hands and yes, say them in forward order. also, her spells are only limited by her imgination, as long as she says it backwards.

tho ,like i previously mentioned, she is second only to a few beings with magical power, but she would have no problem dealing with someone like strange who relies on artifacts and channeling energies thru dimensional entities. im not saying that she would wipe the floor with him or anything but she definatly wuld win out in the end...decidingly

Deathstroke took her out with a pressure point attack to the throat.

Strange pulls out the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak and seals her mouth shut. Furthermore, Dormammu, Mepshisto, and Shuma Gorath are gods and beyond god (Shuma Gorath) level enties than Strange has fought. Your average god ain't worth mentioning.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Beyonder

You say that like it's something to be scoffed at. Deathstroke took out the entire JLA for half a comic.

The bands of cytorrak thing is useless if you paid attention to his post. How would Strange know to do that in the first place? By the time he figured it out, Zatanna could do some serious damage.

stormfront13
yeah that is why i created this post- they are both magically powerful and have beaten many people- imo zatanna wins

Konton
Well, Strange is no longer Sorcerer Supreme.
Bump.

Warlord
Classic Strang would stomp current could go either way

jrodslam
^ Classic Strange wouldnt stomp.

Warlord
^classic strange would stomp

jrodslam
Originally posted by Warlord
^classic strange would stomp

no

Warlord
Originally posted by jrodslam
no

how many wins out of 10 would you give him?

Juntai
In The Oath, I think it was, a novice mage turned off Dr Strange's powers.
He also was nearly shot and killed and had to be saved.

Then again, Zatanna nearly lost to Joker too.

Magic casters tend to be all over the place.

jrodslam
how many wins out of 10 would you give him?

Dont know. It depends who gets off the first major spell. Whoever does that gains a great advantage.

batdude123
Originally posted by Beyonder

As if Dr. Strange doesn't have equally embarrassing feats to his credit...

Wei Phoenix
Current Strange is crap so he would most likely lose.

Naija boy
Classic strange FTW.

Allankles
Originally posted by demigawd
ok, here's what I found.

I checked about 20 sites just now, and disregarded statements that weren't backed up by at least five other sites. This is to make sure I'm fair.

It seems that you're correct in that there's no real "limit" to her magic. In fact, she really doesn't even need to say it backwards to cast the spell.

HOWEVER - there are three important things that don't make her all-powerful.

1)The source of her power is natural - she's half-human and half homo magi or something. So her magic is internally generated, which means that it's actually fairly easy to override and undo by a full homo magi, or a sorcerer in touch with greater magic.

2)She must visualize exactly what she wants exactly how she wants it. That mean she can't just "blink the Spectre away". She'd have to visualize the Spectre, I mean completely visualize him (not just picture him in her mind - she'd need every detail of his being), and then she'd have to completely visualize what to do with him. And since it's impossible for a human to truly visualize a holy figure, she wouldn't be able to do it. However, it doesn't stop her from trying, which leads to...

3)....Her spells often going wrong. She has to completely and totally visualize things so much when she's casting her spell that in high pressure situations, she often leaves something out, which leads to bad effects. And her power is also always in flux. It's a little bit like instructing a three year old to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You can't just say, "take some peanut butter and take some jelly and spread it on the bread", because you'd end up with the child putting a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly IN THEIR JAR inside a loaf of bread. You'd have to say, "First, walk into the kitchen. Then grab a butter knife from the drawer to the left once you pull it open, then...."

So overall, she's sorta a combination of Samantha from Bewitched and Orko from He-Man. She can "theoretically" do anything, but her very human limitations make her a couple of leagues below Dr. Fate, as all the bios agree.

Strange takes this.

smile Hard to argue with this really. It's rare to see someone break shit down like this, but as Zatanna has said before yes she could theoretically do anything with the way her abilities work.

She has to narrow down the specifics, that is where her power is limited.

TricksterPriest
She's not that far behind Fate. Not anymore. And if we take Seven Soldiers as her going all out, then she could very well stomp. Also, Reign in Hell.

IMO, Strange no longer has the credit or the magical chops to take her.

Warlord
Actually the Living Tribunal was unable to remove classic Strange from existance so I doubt Zatana would beat much more stomp him. Current seems to be a looser though

jasofisc
current is an epic fail classic curb stomps her. If someone feels differently i would like to know any time she has beat someone on the inbetweener's level. and opposite some people's belief she can't pots anybody as shown in the new JLA a year or so back when she tried to do it to the god in vixsins totum

King Kandy
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
She's not that far behind Fate. Not anymore. And if we take Seven Soldiers as her going all out, then she could very well stomp. Also, Reign in Hell.

IMO, Strange no longer has the credit or the magical chops to take her.
Haha you are so funny. What feats does she have that compare to Strange's?

Allankles
Originally posted by King Kandy
Haha you are so funny. What feats does she have that compare to Strange's?

She was able to destroy entire magical universes and reality warp on a universal scale.

In Seven Soldiers she was the new architect of the universe for a brief time.

Nihilist
Classic Strange stomps, current gets stomped.

Warlord
Originally posted by Allankles
She was able to destroy entire magical universes and reality warp on a universal scale.

In Seven Soldiers she was the new architect of the universe for a brief time.

and what happen so she couldn't keep on operating under that power levels?

Still being able to resist the Living Tribunal is much more of a feat. Not to mention that classic Strange repeatedly had such showing in his classic days. Galactus, Death, In Bettweener were more than an instant

Allankles
I think classic strange takes a majority i.e. it's not a curbstomp.

Warlord
Originally posted by Allankles
I think classic strange takes a majority i.e. it's not a curbstomp.

sure Zatana is a competent sorceress. Classic Steve would take a solid majority though

jrodslam
Strange is always going to have more "high end feats" based on who he is and his appearances. Comparing feat to feat, hes always gonna be on top. When he beat the inbetweener, he summoned help/power from both chaos and order(not 100% sure if its in his natural powerset or if it was granted by them). All casters are walking plot devices.

batdude123
He also has a shit ton of "low end feats" to balance him out.

Warlord
Originally posted by batdude123
He also has a shit ton of "low end feats" to balance him out.

not quite as many as his high end feats and most of them are in his current incarnation. By the way that logic could apply to Superman as well but no one is bringing it up for him....Oh wait I forgot he's DC

jrodslam
By the way that logic could apply to Superman as well but no one is bringing it up for him....O

I would. It does get mentioned in some of his battles here. Like him vs a Captain Marvel/Black Adam, Lobo etc. Feats are always going to be mentioned, but some ppl dont have as many higher end ones, yet we dont doubt their ability to compete well and even win some encounters. Same goes for Juggy. He actually lacks more higher end feats compared to the Hulks and Thors, but hes considered one of the higher end powerhouses in Marvel.

I do understand that sometimes thats all we have to go on, are feats, but there are also times where powersets come into play. Sometimes, lol.

batdude123
not quite as many as his high end feats and most of them are in his current incarnation. By the way that logic could apply to Superman as well but no one is bringing it up for him....Oh wait I forgot he's DC

My guess is most of your Dr. Strange "knowledge" is based upon the respect thread here. Classic Strange had plenty of low end feats.

Nobody is bringing up Superman because he's completely irrelevant to this thread. And in any case, Superman is one of the most consistently portrayed higher end characters out there. But we still average out his feats.

Warlord
My guess is most of your Dr. Strange "knowledge" is based upon the respect thread here. Classic Strange had plenty of low end feats.

Nobody is bringing up Superman because he's completely irrelevant to this thread. And in any case, Superman is one of the most consistently portrayed higher end characters out there.

My knowledge of Dr Strange comes from books I colect since the 70's. What I said about Superman was not targeted for that thread but for every other thread he's in. I know how badly you want Zatana to win since she's a DC character but against Classic Strange she has no hope. Browse the net if you like there is no thread stating otherwise. Of course everyone is entitled to his opinion so there you go

batdude123
My knowledge of Dr Strange comes from books I colect since the 70's. What I said about Superman was not targeted for that thread but for every other thread he's in. I know how badly you want Zatana to win since she's a DC character but against Classic Strange she has no hope. Browse the net if you like there is no thread stating otherwise. Of course everyone is entitled to his opinion so there you go

Superman was voted the most hated character on KMC forums. And apparently you haven't been here long enough to notice, considering there are posters that try to downgrade Superman every chance they get.

And I could give two shits about Zatana being a DC character. Makes no difference to me. I never said she'd beat Strange.

Enyalus
Superman was voted the most hated character on KMC forums.
Did Thanos come in second?

batdude123
Originally posted by Enyalus
Did Thanos come in second?

Thanos was voted the favorite character on KMC.

Enyalus
Thanos was voted the favorite character on KMC.
no expression

My, how times have changed. Its probably for the best, though. If Thanos was as popular now as he was then, I'd probably not like him so much. I absolutely loved Superman until I got here and saw some of the hype over him. Now, meh...still like him. But...

batdude123
no expression

My, how times have changed. Its probably for the best, though. If Thanos was as popular now as he was then, I'd probably not like him so much. I absolutely loved Superman until I got here and saw some of the hype over him. Now, meh...still like him. But...

Same with Wolverine for me.

Kris Blaze
Zatanna used a magical item in seven soldiers, why are people just writing that into her powerset?

If the DC fanboys actually read all the shit they claim to, they would've realized that there are not lot of incidents throughout her line of appearances in comics that indicates that she is a universal level reality warper.

iceman24567
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Zatanna used a magical item in seven soldiers, why are people just writing that into her powerset?

If the DC fanboys actually read all the shit they claim to, they would've realized that there are not lot of incidents throughout her line of appearances in comics that indicates that she is a universal level reality warper. laughing

zeel
Superman was voted the most hated character on KMC forums. And apparently you haven't been here long enough to notice, considering there are posters that try to downgrade Superman every chance they get.

And I could give two shits about Zatana being a DC character. Makes no difference to me. I never said she'd beat Strange.

wasnt aware supes was voted number one hated on the boards. Its funny 95% of thoses people dont hate supes. They just get tired of the unreasonable and outta control comments made by some of his fanboys. for example superman>odin in the destroyer armor. theses comments are the only reason why people dont like him on theses boards. Supes is the ultimate superhero in existance. Yes even greater them my favorite captian marvel.

Btw this is a good fight im going with Current zatana over strange though. Provided this is current strange.

Badabing
Originally posted by zeel
wasnt aware supes was voted number one hated on the boards. Its funny 95% of thoses people dont hate supes. They just get tired of the unreasonable and outta control comments made by some of his fanboys. for example superman>odin in the destroyer armor. theses comments are the only reason why people dont like him on theses boards. Supes is the ultimate superhero in existance. Yes even greater them my favorite captian marvel.

Btw this is a good fight im going with Current zatana over strange though. Provided this is current strange. Unless noted, it's always current characters. If it said Classic Strange or a specific Strange from an arc then we'd use that. Even if the thread was made years ago.

batdude123
Originally posted by zeel

Btw this is a good fight im going with Current zatana over strange though. Provided this is current strange.

Who's said that Superman is more powerful than Odin in the destroyer armor?

Enyalus
Zatanna wins.

Warlord
hmmm where can I vote for my favorit or least favorite characters?

I need to bury someone....lol

by the way it doesn't take a genious to see that Superman is one of the 3 most popular characters here

Stunner2xx
Who's said that Superman is more powerful than Odin in the destroyer armor?

Me and he rapes odin so bad that he throw a 20 at him and tells him to get something nice to eat.

Bouboumaster
Classic Strange Stomp.
Current Strange wins

iceman24567
How does Current Strange win?

Enyalus
Yeah, current Strange doesn't even have the Eye of Agamatto.

iceman24567
Yeah, current Strange doesn't even have the Eye of Agamatto. Exactly

King Kandy
Wait, how did he lose it?

iceman24567
He's no longer Sorcerer Supreme thats how.

stormultt
yea and marvel is losing their damn names...thats how...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.