What is social rights,and what is private rights?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lalalala333
I'm writing this essay,and I have no exact grasp onto what social rights is,and what private rights is.All I can think of,from the words,is that social rights is rights for....Actually I don't get it.
I guess private rights,is something to do with privacy?Ive searched the whole net and I can't find anything...AND I NEED TO WRITE THIS PAPER!!Please help,if you know...If you don't know,don't make something up and post it, or I'll look like a total idiot!!

Bardock42
Well just Bullshit it yes

ragesRemorse
there is no such thing as private rights. Privacy is nowhere in the constitution. If you are infact writing your paper in America. The closest thing to a private right may be the right to own personal property, but even that is not a right.

Bardock42
Don't you have like a right not to bne searched and seized, I always thought these little things called Bill of Rights, where somehow rights, if you don't exactly know what I am refering to look at amendment 3-5

ragesRemorse
That isnt privacy, just balance. Tell me where it says privacy anywhere in the constitution or even the bill of rights. You know the constitution can overturn the bill of rights.

Bardock42
thats just if you set private rights equal to priivacy.

Aren'T private rights more the rights thaat an individual has?

ragesRemorse
There are individual rights, but no right granting freedom to anyone one or mass of people. I just got thrown with private.

Bardock42
well what do you mena now, there are of course rights for everyone, did you mean that there are not right that are just for some people or what?

ragesRemorse
No, i meant that there are individual rights of course. There are not, however, rights that grant privacy to any one person or mass of people.I'm just arguing your choice of words now, basically. Of course there are individual rights.

lalalala333
Okay...Listen this is the question
There was a text about Rev.Paolo Turturro who revealed that a young man had confessed to him that he had committed murder.People got angry,because the priest shouldn't have said anything,because it was a betrayal to god and to the public.So I was supposed to find out what problem the text was pointing out?The teacher says that it is showing the conflict between social and private rights.I have absolutely NO IDEA!

ragesRemorse
The problem is that by the law, the priest was bound to the obligation of having to go to the police. However, this did contradict the general understanding of religous confidentiality, but that confidentiality has no bearing with the law.

lalalala333
Actually...That's not what I'm supposed to write about....The text was supposed to represent a conflict between private and social rights(According to my teacher).Nothing to do with religion.Nothing to do with confessing to police.
God this is so confusing...

Victor Von Doom
The question is rather vague, and that text, at least as far as you have quoted it, doesn't particularly comment on 'social rights'.

It shows a conflict, in the Priest's case, between public and private duty, but I don't see why they are both rights. There's certainly a tension between 'private rights' (stupid nomenclature) and public duty.

Jackie Malfoy
If someone exclaims it to me I would understand better.JMno

silver_tears
Aren't social rights those that apply to the public in general, such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech and such.

Whereas private rights are those alotted to a specific person, like freedom to confidentiality confused

ragesRemorse
yes silver. that is the problem. The priest's obligation to the law and his confliction with confidentiality.If the priest diddnt go to the authorities he would be accountable for accessory. IT has happened before.

Alpha Centauri
While at the same time, he's sworn to confidentiality.

-AC

forumcrew
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
there is no such thing as private rights. Privacy is nowhere in the constitution. If you are infact writing your paper in America. The closest thing to a private right may be the right to own personal property, but even that is not a right.

dont entirely correct, while it doesnt say explicitly right to privacy in the const. many justices have rulled in favor of privacy because of words like liberty. i can site you some case examples if you like lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.