What makes YOUR life meaningful?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Misty Girl
For different people there are different things that makes their lives worth living. For some it might be some kind of passion, a hobby, etc.
Some merely carry on living out of fear of death. Some don't know why they even get up in the morning. Others have never thought about it.

Why do you see it meaningful to get up in the morning? For me personally, it is the sheer mystery of life: before I die I want to find out what we are, what exitence is all about and why everything is the way it is. I want to examine life, as Socrates said the unexamined life is not worth living.

Morningstar
What makes my life meaningful? Faith, hope and love . . . . . . .

Capt_Fantastic
Star Wars figures and vodka. Gotta love both of them. In either case, they're an escape from reality. Which sucks....

finti
living it

Misty Girl
What do you mean by living it? Be a bit more specific.

finti
life itself is meaningful

Misty Girl
How can life itself be meaningfull - there has to be something in each individual's life which makes it meaningfull, because if life as such is meaningfull, then you imply that a creator created it with a meaning/purpose. Don't we make life meaningfull as opposed to life itself containing meaning?

finti
no I dont believe in a creator, second if life in itself aint meaningful there aint no reason to live at all.

Player
Life can only have meaning while it has meaning, otherwise it ceases to be meaningfull at all. But I don't think life itself has a meaning - nature is meaningless on its own (it can't think) WE give life/nature meaning.

Storm
To live, to experience life in all its aspects.

finti
to me life itself are meaningful, what it is to others I cant say they have to make up their own mind about that

debbiejo
Trying to find out all the answers is what makes life so great...All the continents have been discovered, but not all the answers. Also to feel the connectedness to those around you. Like you belong.....your part of...and all the good feelings and love that comes with that.

Jackie Malfoy
Having a family and friends and my boyfriend makes life not so bad after all.JMgroup

Ignite
knowing that i get to wake up everyday and live...
hopefully still for a long time.

Filth
I live to spite those who hate me.

Misty Girl
Originally posted by Filth
I live to spite those who hate me.

Well, another reason why I enjoy living is to enjoy those people who love me - like my boyfriend who took this nice pic of me yesterday.

Bardock42
Nothing

You are hot by the way

Misty Girl
Originally posted by Bardock42
Nothing

You are hot by the way

Thanks! wink

Player
Misty, you sure are hot!

peterKSL
I live the same purpose as Storm...

~From The Beginning To The End, The Power Of Curiousity Will Triumph Over All~

peterKSL
Originally posted by Ignite
knowing that i get to wake up everyday and live...
hopefully still for a long time.

I wouldn't want to wake up and just waiting to die... I want to explore!!!

Bardock42
but does your life have a real meaning or is that just what you want?

peterKSL
We are the ones that make it meaningful, we are the ones that realise what we can do with our lives...

Wait a sec... It's emotions that makes it meaningful actually... If one is not capable of feeling emotions, there is no meaning in life for that person eventually...

Bardock42
No I disagree.....there is no real Meaning for life...only subjective meaning...that means your life is probably important to you and maybe a few others...that means it has some meaning but no real one you know.

Oh and emotions are not that great as everyone makes them seem actually they are not at all yes

peterKSL
No I disagree.....there is no real Meaning for life...only subjective meaning...that means your life is probably important to you and maybe a few others...that means it has some meaning but no real one you know.

Oh and emotions are not that great as everyone makes them seem actually they are not at all yes

"What makes YOUR life meaningful?" this is our topic, not "what makes our lives perfect"

Bardock42
Yes and I am saying there is nothing that makes your life really meaningful,....you might say that people like you or that you like to life or that you want to "explore" make your life meaningful,....but in the end it doesn't matter in any way.

Misty Girl
Life can only be meaningfull, while one is alive. So even if you die in the end, it still matters, as you cannot experience death. Meaning is only present in life, NOT death, so for all practical purposes, death does not exist for a person who will die one day.

peterKSL
Yes and I am saying there is nothing that makes your life really meaningful,....you might say that people like you or that you like to life or that you want to "explore" make your life meaningful,....but in the end it doesn't matter in any way.

This is the last time I will repeat myself... "What makes YOUR life meaningful?" this is our topic...

STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Misty Girl
What also makes MY life meaningfull is the search for meaning.

Bardock42
Goddammit Don't you get that Peter, I am ON the ****ING TOPIC.

I am saying that your, and my and any life doesn'T have any meaning at all.

peterKSL
Originally posted by Misty Girl

there you go... 10 points for Misty Girl... 0 points for Bardock

Misty Girl
10 points for me, now that's meaning!...earning points in life - in an existential sense off-course.

peterKSL

So you are saying that Misty Girl, Storm, me, and few others are posting rubbish?

Goddammit Don't you get that Peter, I am ON the ****ING TOPIC.

I am saying that your, and my and any life doesn'T have any meaning at all.

Bardock42
Oh god, this is not even funny.
Peter you are annoying.
So what you actually mean is, what you think makes your life worth living for you? Not that your life is meaningful?

Bardock42
Originally posted by peterKSL
So you are saying that Misty Girl, Storm, me, and few others are posting rubbish?

Yes basically.

peterKSL
Oh god, this is not even funny.
Peter you are annoying.
So what you actually mean is, what you think makes your life worth living for you? Not that your life is meaningful?

??? worth living and meaningful there is a difference??

peterKSL
Yes basically.

eek!

Misty slap him hard in the face... laughing

Misty Girl
Simply put, if one's personal life is not worth living, one would not be here. So, by the mere fact that we are talking here, means that mine and everyone elses lives here do in fact have meaning.

Misty Girl
Bardock, a sexy slap in your face!

Misty Girl
Maybe from a universal point of view(not that the latter is possible) we are all talking and thinking rubish, BUT from a personal/subjective point of view we do experience meaning.

Bardock42
??? worth living and meaningful there is a difference??

Yes the one is subjective the other can be both

And Misty yes they have mening for you...but they are not meaningful, you gert where I am going?

I say for every individuum his/her life has a meaning, but that doesn'T mean it is meaningful on an absolute scale.

Storm
We are not talking about meaningful on an absolute scale.

peterKSL
meaningful can only be an oppinion... Bardock maybe you meant by the view of Nature itself??

Misty Girl
Yes the one is subjective the other can be both

And Misty yes they have mening for you...but they are not meaningful, you gert where I am going?

I say for every individuum his/her life has a meaning, but that doesn'T mean it is meaningful on an absolute scale.

Yes, that makes sense, THERE IS NO MEANING ON AN ABSOLUTE SCALE. Personally, one's life can have meaning or not, but life or existence in general does not have a meaning, UNLESS you believe in a creator/deity who put divine purpose into everything.

Storm
I' ll repeat what I' ve once said before.

I think that each person creates meaning that is specific to their own life. Someone may find meaning in helping to end poverty while another finds their meaning in the development of their mind. Both of these pursuits would be considered very noble but neither answer the underlying desire for ultimate meaning or purpose beyond this life. Whatever meaning a person created would be limited to the few short years of their life.

Misty Girl
Originally posted by Storm
Whatever meaning a person created would be limited to the few short years of their life.

YES, exactly what I said earlier: "Life can only be meaningfull, while one is alive."

Bardock42
Well we are obviously talking aboot different things. But still the Question as it is stated implies that ones life has a meaning.

But ok, on a subjective scale I would say that I have fun living, is what makes me keep on living. Well maybe some other people like me too so that has so my life might have some "meaning" to them too

Misty Girl
Yes, ok, let's come to a conclusion: An individual's life can or can not have a subjective meaning, while existence/the universe/nature, call it what you will, cannot have a cognitive meaning.

Bardock42
Great, nice conclusion....just if this is just for subjective "meaning"...well then it is the wrong forum

Storm
Yes, ok, let's come to a conclusion: An individual's life can or can not have a subjective meaning, while existence/the universe/nature, call it what you will, cannot have a cognitive meaning.
Either an individual' s life has a subjective meaning or is has not.

Misty Girl
Ok, objectively an individual's life cannot have meaning.

Storm
I disagree. Imo, an individual' s life has a subjective meaning whereas we don' t know about the ultimate meaning of life itself (our existence if you like).

peterKSL
Storm,

Here's mine...

Moments are ever meaningful, because they only serve a purpose - to experience life while you can, and to acknowledge it or not, is one's choice... Even Disgraceful/disappointing moments can turn to meaningful moments if one has learnt to accept them as the meaning of life - one's experience.

"you live to breath, and you breath to live, as you are living, you breath* in it..." - this is mine creation!!

Breath* - experience

Ignore this post if you disagree, I'm looking from a totally different perspective...

Storm
Even Disgraceful/disappointing moments can turn to meaningful moments if one has learnt to accept them as the meaning of life - one's experience.
I doubt we' ll ever find the ultimate answer, a universal answer, a why which unchangingly applies to every living being and every being yet to be born. Perhaps death can answer our questions.

peterKSL
to live = to experience...
meaning of life = is to experience...
or it's just a mistake that humans exist...
We can't experience death, so death has nothing to do with the meaning of life... unless you believe in something unatural?

Anyway, that's just my view on the meaning of life...

Storm
No one knows what happens at the moment we die or after we die. Perhaps there' s this sudden instant of complete understanding.

peterKSL
Death is the absence of life, as philosophicus said it, I remembered...
That can only lead to one thing isn't it? The absence of consciousness...

you can only think when you are subconscious or conscious... (maybe I'm wrong)
and you can only know things if you are there to think...

Alpha Centauri
Don't think I could live without music.

It's the only love of my life that's never fallen out with me, treated me like shit, cheated on me or disrespected me and it will always be there for me when I need it.

Can't imagine life without it.

-AC

liam k
I think MY life is meaningful because iam a smartalec, and just wanna actually go out with a decent girl! (MISTEY GIRL)

Bardock42
You misspelled her name What the f**k?

Anyway I am not so sure that Life = Experience
Plus I am not sure if you can'T experience death....I mean I basically don'T fell or think or experience anything conciously while I am sleeping still I would say I am alive. Hmm welll maybe.....nah not really.

Anyway you have to think aboot life though since it greatly influences ones life,...even longe before actual death.

Oh yes and I like muisic too.

peterKSL
You misspelled her name What the f**k?

Anyway I am not so sure that Life = Experience
Plus I am not sure if you can'T experience death....I mean I basically don'T fell or think or experience anything conciously while I am sleeping still I would say I am alive. Hmm welll maybe.....nah not really.

Anyway you have to think aboot life though since it greatly influences ones life,...even longe before actual death.

Oh yes and I like muisic too.

I like music, who doesn't like music? laughing out loud

By the way, what is a muisic?
you misspelled it What the f**k? laughing out loud

I couldn't understand what you were trying to say in your post... you disagree with no sense of logic... you said that you fell, and can't think, and while you were sleeping you feel alive?? ARE YOU DRUNK????

Misty Girl
I love music - I've also been playing the violin since age of 6. I love listenning to Metallica, Jimmi Hendrix, Beethoven and Bach.

And about death - it can't be experienced, because death is the absence of experience, duh!

KharmaDog
You should meet philo he plays violin and listens to Beethoven and Bach too. Perhaps you too even have the same taste in socks?

Misty Girl
I don't like socks - makes my feet feel smothered.

finti
and your head

Misty Girl
Your head!? Don't know about that one. finti, I see you are from Norway - I kinda have a thing for Norwegian guys.

finti
and that thing being?

Misty Girl
I find them quite sexy - a real turn on. embarrasment

ChickinMeat
I like to play music, videogames, and get drunk with buddies.

shame i suck at all 3

Misty Girl
I'm real good with drinking.

Storm
(I so knew it.)

BackFire
stick out tongue

KharmaDog
Your head!? Don't know about that one. finti, I see you are from Norway - I kinda have a thing for Norwegian guys.

So philo's gay now?

Sucihposolihp
Being gay is in itself a meaning.

Reborn Again
My late dog Dakota. Presently, not sure. But thinking about her always makes me smile.

Bardock42
Sucihposolihp oh god this is great......anyway Peter I hate you.

debbiejo
Cute little Misty Girl...we'll miss her imput! Isn't that so Bardock42. love

peterKSL
sorry bardock.. it was a joke..

Bardock42
I know peter.....was misty Philosophicus?....oh well how did you find that out?

peterKSL
ask deb.. she knows..

Bardock42
well i did What the f**k?

debbiejo
I read the posts and figured it out when reading what finti, and storm wrote. laughing

Bardock42
Well I saw what finti and storm wrote, I just didn't get how they figured he was that?

Clovie
the tendency to getting into fights messed also the way of writing erm

and to be on topic:
few ppl i'm lucky to know makes my life bearable

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.