anybody in to foriegn films?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

harajukuchic
i love the movie "purple butterfly" i think that is a great movie. i love Zhang Ziyi in this move she gave a great performance, like always. I'm also looking forward to two other movies that are coming out on tomorrow on the 8th, "Dolls" and "Bright future" they look like they are going to be really good movies from the clips i've seen and the storylines that i've read about them. palmpictures is a great resource on independent movies that are going to come out. If anybody is into these kinds of films it would be cool to talk to someone about them.

Myth
Zatoichi
Kung Fu Hustle
um... I know there is more but I can't think of them
btw: I don't think of British movies as foreign since it is still in my native language.

jaden101
old boy(korean)
life is beautiful(italian)
das experiment(german)
das boot(german)
crouching tiger hidden dragon(chinese)
citade de deus(city of god)(brazilian)

MildPossession
I love foreign films, I watch them more than mainstream/American films at the moment. Ingmar Bergman films I adore(Persona is a favourite), they are Swedish films.

Have yet to see Purple Butterfly, but should be getting it soon on dvd in a few days time from Hong Kong.

Dolls has been out for ages here, decent film, wonderful to look at. That's if you mean the Kitano film. I like his films also.

ms_erupt
The only foreign film I've ever seen is Battle Royale. Loved it.

MildPossession
See more.

ms_erupt
Okay?

MildPossession
Have you seen the sequel to Battle Royale?

ms_erupt
Originally posted by MildPossession
Have you seen the sequel to Battle Royale?
No. I've heard that Shuya's character is very different than he was in the first. Is this true?

Ketchuptome
I like

City Of God
The Snake in The Eagles Shadow
The Drunken Master
Vampire Hunter D
and that Bruce Lee movie where he wears yellow

Ketchuptome
Oh.And how can i forget Kung Pow and Crouching Tiger And Hidden Dragon

MildPossession
His character is different yes, watch it and find out smile

Ketchuptome
Which guy.The guy with the pony tail

Fanboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8ikWUcxQU

What does anyone think of this movie?

faradayslaw
I love pretty much all of Ryuhei Kitamura's movies. SKY HIGH and VERSUS (the Ultimate version is excellent) are my favorites.....

MildPossession
That Purple Butterfly film was definitely not great. Bright Future though is excellent.

Gregory
"Foreign films?" No; no more than I'm into "American films" as a class. But there are foreign films I like...Seventh Seal, Pan's Labyrinth, City of Lost Children....there are a number of martial arts films that I like, but I have trouble thinking of them as "foreign," even though they are.

savvysparrowluv
I love Bollywood movies -anything with Aamir Khan is good, but The Rising: The Ballad of Mangal Pandey and Lagaan: Once Upon A Time In India are incredible!

deathbucket
For "Viridiana" and "Yi Yi" I give thanks

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I love foreign films.

dhurley05
Yeah I am addicted to Asian cinema. Not so much the action fighting films, but the dramas and thrillers. I love em all. Like The Eel, 3-Iron, Oldboy, Dolls, Hana Bi, Spirited Away, Ikiru and others. They are all good.

erikko
im into asian, bollywood movies but i tried hungarian and german films i found them cool and i forgot french films

Endrict Nuul
Yeah man.... I love HK cinema the most...but some Korean and Japanese files are great.

I just bought Flashpoint with Donnie Yen and Infernal Affairs 1, 2 and 3

MildPossession
Flashpoint has some good fight scenes, but apart from that it's not as good as SPL.

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession
Flashpoint has some good fight scenes, but apart from that it's not as good as SPL.

It only cost me 2 bucks. stick out tongue

Phat J
what are some good foreign films?

these are some that ive seen that i liked to give anybody an idea of my taste.

oldboy
yojimbo
old zatoichi
city of god
devils backbone

it doesnt really matter what its about, just that its a good movie.

lockerom
I love foreign films. Here are a few of my favorites

Amelie
The Seventh Seal
Yojimbo
Seven Samurai
Battle Royale
all about lily chou chou
The Vengeance Trilogy
The Young and the Dangerous
Failan
Hard Boiled
The Killer
A better tomorrow 1 and 2
Farewell My Concubine
Fallen Angels
In the Mood for Love
Chungking express

MightyCelestial
Yes.
Here are a few of my faves:

10. Zatoichi - I had heard of this character, but never bothered looking up anything about him.
I stumbled on this DVD, & found myself enjoying it so much, I watched over again like 4 separate times. The movie, just like the series of an earlier time, is follows one adventure of the "blind masseuse", a gentle samurai warrior who's lone wolf journeys are the counter-part of the italian "man with no name" spaghetti westerns. Silent, noble & despite his blindness, the ability to see with more clarity, not just the world around him but also the will & intentions contained within the hearts of all men.
A great classic character of the Japanese tradition.

9. La Femme Nikita - Point Of No Return, while not that bad of a film, does not compare with this original version.

8. Seven Samurai - Of course.
Y'know, this is considered such a classic not just in the genre of foreign film, but in all films in general. Therefore, it qualifies just as a film to watch just to be able to say that you've watched it ( even if you turn out to be one in the minority who might not end up liking it).

7. Run Lola Run - Just a fun, simple & creative idea for a movie theme.
Run Lola! Run!!

6. Curse Of The Golden Flower - Some of the most breathtaking & gorgeously intricate background set designs ever in a film. So rich are the colors & exquisite details in this movie, that it requires multiple viewings just to be able to soak it all in. Once one can get passed that aspect of the film, it will become obvious that the sets are not a distraction, but an enhancement to the story. And enrichment that adds to the dialogue with an intensity that allows the ideas of what appears to be human pettiness behavior in a royal setting to be revealed as much grander in scope & concept.
And for a movie that make someone as simple minded as myself come to a conclusion like that, that's definitely a statement to power of it's artistry.

5. Pan's Labyrinth - Just an absolutely beautiful movie. This film's creativity & emotion are elegantly entwined in a manner that blurs the barrier between the "real" world & the fantasy dimension, almost beyond physical distinction.

4. City Of God - Watching this movie feels almost exactly like watching a documentary. The scene where the young kid gang member is asked to choose getting shot in the hand or in the foot holds more power, depth & context than most movies contain in their entirety. An incredibly eye-opening & moving picture.

3. El Mariachi - Because of the financial restraints of this picture, the story is forced to be told thru the creativity of all-out action in it's most pure & unadulterated form. There should be a law requiring that all action films be shot & directed with as much energy & fun as this one, before any of the million dollars of special effects are added on.
Action-adventure in it's all bared-boned glory.

2. Ran - Before movies like Crouching Tiger/ Hidden Dragon & Hero came along & added the artistically flair fantasy elements to these types of epic movies, there was Ran. Some of the most beautiful & grand visuals ever in an Akira Kurosawa film. The fact that his name was associated with this project guaranteed this film's sweeping quality. And, the added high budget seemed to compromise his vision not in the slightest. Instead, it seemed to open up the potentiality that Mr. Kurosawa had holding in his already abundant visionary dreams.
Definitely my favorite of his works.

1. House Of Flying Daggers - Growing up, it always frustrated me whenever the majority of big budget action flicks or martial arts movies of the time often seemed to sacrifice on story to make room for the bangs & the effects. It was generally said, that in these types of movies, you couldn't really have both. And I was one those kids who always asked "Why not?"
And then came the House Of Flying Daggers. And with it's beautiful story of love & intrigue, combined with lavish costumes, great performances & unique individually themed action sequences, it seemed to asked the very same question.

Phat J
cool man, i havent seen a bunch of those. ill check them out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.