Carver: a real threat?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yerssot
As you people will probably know, in Tomorrow Never Dies (yes, the one with Terri Hatcher, aka Lois Lane wink), the mainvillain was mister Carter.

That Carter owned Carter Media Network and could reach millions of people and influence them...

Do you think this threat is real? Do you think it's possible in the "real world", or was it all farfetched?
Have far will someone go to make the news to get the scoops?

G.P
Wasn't he called Carver ?

I don't think media have such power. I can't speak for every country (for I've seen the movie "Wag the dog"wink, but here in France, even if they can clearly manipulate the general audience, they cannot modify the reality.

yerssot
darn, I do that everytime messed yeah, it's carver, carter is someone else messed

what if they can influence the audience in such a way they can create a riot? than they can alter reality in some way

G.P
this should be a walk in the park for them... shifty

yerssot
for the audience to find it out?
or are you refering to mission impossible? stick out tongue

G.P
I just mean that manipulating the way people perceive reality is very easy !

but yes I was refering to MiII

yerssot
so, if you control a lot of media, you can manipulate so much that you can just say what you want and gain more power, no?

G.P
Erm, not really... You have to be subtle.
I could be very provocative by taking the example of the big American networks ...
I don't think media can really create their own reality. Just modify the real one...But that's more and more difficult because of the globalisation of information

yerssot
are you sure? if you own a lot of networks with tv, radio, newspapers etc. I think you can go very far in making people believe what YOU want, to a certain extent you can also influence people who surf the web frequently

G.P
No, because of the more and more numerous sources (CNN/Al Jazirah, French Media/American Media/BBC) +++ Internet... it becomes difficult to impose a single point of view

yerssot
well, place CNN against Al Jazirah, they will always say Al Jazirah is utterly wrong in their comments

and when you own like Warner (I think it's them) a few tv channels, radios, newspapers, ... it's one against many and people will believe the many (also cause they're from either their own country or have a better name

G.P
In France I've never heard anyone saying that Al Jazirah was wrong just because it was Al Jazirah...
roll eyes (sarcastic)

And yes actually, My name is better than yours so people will trust me more easily ! erm

yerssot
till you say you're french wink

all I mean, is that the country of residence of a station heavily influence the people, especially if they're from the same country, and with Carver having so much, most people would believe him

The Redeemer
One has only to look to the UK to realise that Carver isn't such a fantasy figure after all. A certain Rupert Murdock has all the megolomaniac attributes Carver has, the only problem being he's in the "real" as opposed to "reel" world... sad

And I'd bet a hefty wager that that's exactly who Carver's character is based on!

yerssot
what does this Murdock own exactly?

The Redeemer
BskyB - Britain's ONLY satellite television network , The Sun and News Of The World newspapers - the bibles for those that are angry, a little twisted and a bit mentally short of a six pack if you get my drift - and FOX Television in the US...

I'm not quite up to date on his LATEST acquisitions... sad

yerssot
those guys that own CNN, think it was WB? those have a LOT of media in hands!

The Redeemer
Yeah but when BskyB has loads of news channels on it... sick

yerssot
sorry, don't know BskyB smile

have you noticed them spreading false info?

The Redeemer
Ahem! False? confused Let's just say ammended to their own ends... wink

yerssot
and ya think people have had wrong conclusions due to that?

The Redeemer
Not for me to judge! *shrugs shoulders* roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
no, but what do you think?

The Redeemer
yes

yerssot
I wonder if you can take legal actions against them

The Redeemer
laughing out loud And go up against "Mr Carver"??? You DO know what happened in TOMORROW NEVER DIES?

And Bond IS a better man than me! wink

yerssot
well, I wouldn't mind going for some chinese wink

The Redeemer
Chicken and sweetcorn soup for starters if you please and then er, roast duck cantonese style! Yum!

Speaking of which who said... "Darling! I give you the best duck!"...and in which film? laughing

yerssot
You only live twice?

The Redeemer
yes And I'll be damned if I know the character's name off hand! sad

yerssot
I guess it's not Chew Me?

The Redeemer
laughing out loud Goodnight yerssot or should that be #Goodnight James...sleep well...# as sung by the ubiquitous Miss Lulu in TMWTGG... sleep

yerssot
well, I didn't mean for you to chew me wink

Discos
thereare sinister people in the media business - take a look at mr Deeds with that creepy weirdo guy lol

But non as weird and crooked up as Elliot Carver, tbh I dont think he was really a villian to be such, he simply supplied the money and got control over the actions....a little dorky media guy who sunk a navy battleship - doesnt quite cut it

Discos - still can't beat You Only Live twice!

yerssot
erm... not really a villain? he killed british marines, almost caused a huge war against China!

when exactly do you call someone a villain? after nuking a country? messed

Discos
no, thats what I am saying......he gave demands, he didnt physically kill anyone (I dont think)

He had other people to do it, Dr Kaufman for instance, but he did have a twisted mind.

yerssot
that's with a lot of criminals of the old movies I think... Goldfinger, Stromberg, ... they all had evil sidekicks like Jaws, or that fat chinese guy, or ...

Discos
fat chinese guy, you meaning objob?....he was a weird crator lol

I just found Carver a pathetic villian, sorry but its just my opinion, He did know what he was doing....infact probably the smartest villian to date,

Discos - definetly not Boris ha

yerssot
for some reason I always forget his name messed

I agree with Carver though, I mean, if I had to go fist-to-fist, I'll take wimpy skinny Carver over fat german-like Goldfinger

Discos
yep, fat he was lol!

I am trying to think what other villians were puny and rubbish, Zorin(SP) was rich and looked quite build, plus I would never mess with Christopher Wolken......he is a genius

Discos - lol definetly not MAYDAY!

yerssot
well, Dr No had a lot of other guys to help him out and got quite easily killed by Bond too

Reborn Again
Elliott Carver was used to illustrate the far-reaching implications of the mass media and the influence of TV as an instrument of destruction. It plays to the idea that Big Brother is everything and George Orwell who wrote 1984 is right. And yes, the threat is quite real.

Sorry for my late reply.

yerssot
it's still appreciated big grin

hmm, big brother as in being watched all the time?

Reborn Again
Yes, and aren't we? Sats., GPS, internet connection, closed circuit, our finances on the net...

yerssot
I ment, TND-wise messed

Reborn Again
You mean a global sat system like that of Carver's? Yes.

yerssot
that ...slipped my mind I guess messed

Reborn Again
There was a lengthly description in the TMD before it was cut out that told how Carver positioned himself globally, describing his sat system in detail and thus like a necklace of diamonds snug around a woman's neck. This is seen in the theme title depicted when the diamonds surround the woman's neck like sats around the world. But of course the theme title was created before the description was taken out due to time restraints. Interesting, eh?

yerssot
hmmm, next time I have to watch the theme title instead of doing something else

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.