Violent Canadian Police

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
http://www.pulse24.com/In_The_Raw/Raw_Video/20050308-001/Video-5-2.asx

Police in Canada sure know how to get thier job done eh? They could have simply pepper sprayed or tazered the man but instead they decide to run him over with a car. What a violent country that is.

GCG
what u on about ?

over here we set the army out on poor immigrants who make a peaceful protest

http://img69.exs.cx/img69/3653/protest6ap.jpg

Afro Cheese
Did seem inappropriate to hit him with a car...

Reborn Again
He had knifes and was threatening to kill himself. It was the safest thing to do what the police did. It saved lives and the man's life. In Toronto, another similiar event went down today with an insane man in a rental car who set himself on fire. The police at little recourse but to box him in with their squad cars and douse the flames by forcefully pulling him out of the truck. This is yet another unfortunate situation in a series of weird events in Toronto this week.

Afro Cheese
A guy has a knife, so obviously you hit him with a Crown Victoria? No I'm sorry, that just doesn't add up. He could've very well cut himself accidentally when the car hit him. I understand these things can get intense but there must've been a better way to deal with it.

Tptmanno1
Kidrock> You say that like there is absolutly no police brutality in the US...
hate to shock ya, but
there is...

Reborn Again
Criminals have gotten more violent, and people have gotten more desperate, so police have to follow suit to do their job and save lives.

Afro Cheese
I don't think they took the best action possible though. Hitting him with a car really doesn't seem like it could possibly be the proper way to deal with the situation. It just seems downright sloppy.

Darth Revan
There's this thing, called tear gas... And I've seen tapes of cops dealing with similar situations much more effectively.

Lana
Running the guy down did seem kinda extreme....

KidRock
one shot from a tazer gun would have made all his muscles contract and he wouldnt even have been able to move. But of course those cops were retards.

BackFire
Someone needs to make that into an "Owned" picture ASAP.

Also, that's probably the coolest police procedure I've ever seen, props to them.

botankus
I must have missed something. When did the Canadian police trade in their horses for a Crown Victoria?

finti
where is over here?

PVS
Originally posted by BackFire
Someone needs to make that into an "Owned" picture ASAP.

wish granted

http://img127.exs.cx/img127/3378/owned7cl.jpg

PVS
anyway, that had to be by far the most idiotic tactic for taking someone down.

however, i fail to see how this can be used as ammo in yet another dumb redneck attempt at bashing all of canada.

KharmaDog
I thought the guy in the police cruiser did an excellent job subduing the criminal. People b*tch about cops that don't do their job, and then they ***** about cops that do their job. It would have been violent if they started bashing his skull in after he was subdued, that didn't happen.

Tear gas would not make him drop the knives where a cop can get close enough to arrest him.
Rubber or been bag bullets can cause serious damage if your aim is a little bit off.
I've seen crazy bastards rip the tazer barbs out of themselves and contrary to what some of you have been told tazering doesn't always work.

Or they could have shot him.

Crazy bastard with two knives running around downtown is taken down with no injuries to the public, no injuries to the police, and a few cracked ribs to the crazy bastard? I say good job.

The car didn't hit him going 100 mph, they just took him off his feet. And our cops are trained to use their car as a tool, and that guy is one hell of a driver.

PVS
however kharma, a 3 ton vehicle could damage a man far worse than a couple of knives. that could have ended much worse. it just seems like they panicked and/or were not prepared to handle the situation.

Afro Cheese
I highly doubt that if they tazered him he wouldn't have dropped the knives. Even if he "ripped the tazer off" which is highly unlikely, he'd still drop the knives to do so.

The guy was a good driver, and it seemed to work without problems this particular time, but that doesn't make it a good method. There are a lot more risks involved when hitting him with a car then there is tazering him. Had he tripped before the cop could stop the car, he could've easily been actually run over, and then everyone sticking up for the cop would have a different story. It'd only take one minor mistake from either party for that method to turn deadly.

KharmaDog
I see it different, that driver had control of the car, in a panicked state he would have mowed the guy down and not shown the control that he did. Like I said, police have used their vehicles to pin violent offenders up here before, it's not a big deal. Far better than people firing guns on a crowded street.

Like I said, the guy walked away with a few cracked ribs and the incident was brought to a realitively quick ending. I don't see the problem here. And for anyone who doeesn't think that the cop knew what he was doing I'd like to see them attempt to drive a car with that type of control.

On Apr 21 2003 in Burnaby BC a man suffered friom cardiac arrest after being tazered. It's easy to sit back and judge what these guys did and criticise. Personally I would save the criticism for the cops not doing their jobs.

PVS
what im getting at kharma, is that although the cop is a skilled driver,
the looney with the knife was not skilled at being hit by one. as a previous poster stated, he could have easily tripped, being in such a panicked rush, and become road pizza.

if they were willing to put him at such risk, they may as well have taken their chances with the taser.

it just made little sense to me since the cop only knocked him over the hood, which im sure he planned to do. and look at the results. the guy got back up without a scratch. at that moment, they failed.

the only reason they finally took him down was because he hesitated. he had plenty of opportunity to kill himself at that moment

WindDancer
Every nation in the world has good cops and bad cops. Besides a pig will always use the power of authority to enforce themselves on citizens. You just have to watch out for those pigs out there.

Da Moose
Originally posted by KidRock
one shot from a tazer gun would have made all his muscles contract and he wouldnt even have been able to move. But of course those cops were retards.

Right...and Americans police NEVER do anything like that. Watch COPS sometime. You've been on it before, haven't you?

PVS
Originally posted by Da Moose
Right...and Americans police NEVER do anything like that. Watch COPS sometime. You've been on it before, haven't you?

laughing out loud yeah, he was the meth-addict they chased through his trailer park, and found hiding under a kiddie pool.

Linkalicious
In America if a police officer says "drop the knife" and you decide to keep walking around, then the cop puts a bullet in your leg.

People who resist arrest deserve the occasional billy club to the back of the knee or the punch to the face.

Lemonade Whiz
Cops are bad everywhere, even in America!!
mad
Check out Los Angeles sometime! The LAPD is not a nice police force to say the least.
Now, whether or not the cop or the loony behind the wheel was wrong, bad, or evil in anyway, this event happened in Canada for crying out loud!!
laughing
Who cares?!?

Da Moose
Originally posted by PVS
laughing out loud yeah, he was the meth-addict they chased through his trailer park, and found hiding under a kiddie pool.

laughing out loud laughing
I'm not trying to throw insults around, but seriously, because they were CANADIAN doesn't mean anything.

Does Rodney King ring a bell?

I mean, come on, Canadian, Swedish, American, like WindDancer so eloquently put it about the Pigs, it happens EVERYWHERE.

Da Moose
Originally posted by Lemonade Whiz
Cops are bad everywhere, even in America!!
mad
Check out Los Angeles sometime! The LAPD is not a nice police force to say the least.
Now, whether or not the cop or the loony behind the wheel was wrong, bad, or evil in anyway, this event happened in Canada for crying out loud!!
laughing
Who cares?!?

Meaning that what happens in Canada is nothing? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Typical.

Lemonade Whiz
Not typical.

It's pretty funny, though

Da Moose
Originally posted by Lemonade Whiz
Not typical.

It's pretty funny, though

Typcial view that because it's in Canada, that it's not important, and even the country isn't important.

A lot of times, if it's outside of the US, who cares?

botankus
Originally posted by Da Moose
A lot of times, if it's outside of the US, who cares?

For anyone in the US, that should be true for something as minor as this. And that goes for Canadians as well, as they deserve the right to say "Who Cares" for anything happening in the US.

Linkalicious
Shoulda just called the Mounties...

Lemonade Whiz
Aside from this.. who thinks the cops will get busted?

PVS
they wont and they shouldnt.
their method was clumsey and unorthodox, but they were not
acting out of anger. there was no abuse of power here, just a stupid method for getting the job done. perhaps a trip back to the academy for some refreshment coarses?

Lemonade Whiz
Such is the way of good, interpreted law, eh? sad

Bardock42
I don't see anything wrong with that....actually pretty good job.

Go Canadian Cops.

Lemonade Whiz
This sounds like a good time to go see a hockey game-- since that's the only thing I find amusing about Canada! laughing

By the way, I've been to Ontario-- not amusing.

Bardock42
Poutinne is amusing yes

Linkalicious
Did you see that guy's knee when he got hit by the car up on the curb?

I can't believe he didn't break an ankle or tear a knee ligament.

BackFire
Originally posted by PVS
wish granted

http://img127.exs.cx/img127/3378/owned7cl.jpg

hahahaha! Nice.

manny321
Toronto police don't have so much experience on these kinds of crimes.
ONly 4-5 such public craziness happens in that area a year. The last crazy incident before this week was the guy who took the girl hostage and 300 cops were called but the police shot him, an i say that was the best police work i ever saw!! That was last year i forgot.

Yes American police is 100 times worse Especially in rural areas. Damn it who hires some of those cops????

BackFire
"Yes American police is 100 times worse Especially in rural areas. Damn it who hires some of those cops????"

Other bad cops.

Tex
I'd let a strappy uniformed Canadian Policeman manhandle me any day! zorro

manny321
Come on when i was in LA for a month in the 90d's there were atleast
2-3 wacky things a week. Damn it the america police is violent. Look at the cause of LA riots before calling Canadian police messed.

PVS
Originally posted by manny321
Yes American police is 100 times worse Especially in rural areas. Damn it who hires some of those cops????

a point which i bring up constantly.
i have a family member who works in an urban area. much of which is a hardcore ghetto. i refer to him as a REAL cop, you know, someone who actually puts his/her well being on the line to do their duty.

granted,*very important* just because a rural cop's job isnt dangerous, it doesnt make them a fraud, just lucky, and they should be thankful. but when some of these a$$holes strut their stuff and act all hardcore like they've been to hell and back, i have to laugh. if they ever saw real action on the street they would piss their pants, curl up into a ball and cry for mommy, yet they walk so tall when they bust kids for drinking or smoking a joint, and look how those kids happen to 'fall down the stairs'.

thats why i propose an exchange program for police. take all these hardcore jagoffs from east bumblef**k and send them to keep peace in the city, and take all the city cops and let them patrol farmland and basically have a nice vacation. one would get a deserved rest while the other would get a lesson on what it is to be a cop.

PVS
but with that aside, and back to topic, i dont think these cops were bad. perhaps they just never encountered such a situation before, and came up with the best on-the-spot solution they could. thank god it worked. i just hope that the police force over there would review the situation and perhaps come up with a better solution for future reference.

manny321
YEAH the police in LA are mean because there faced with such dire situations.
The worst situation to Toronto police faced when the man took a girl hostage last year and the whole city stoped and watched and 300 cops were called. It shocked the city and everyone thought it was the end of Toronto the good.

manny321
NOte this sledom happens here!

WindDancer
Come on when i was in LA for a month in the 90d's there were atleast
2-3 wacky things a week. Damn it the america police is violent. Look at the cause of LA riots before calling Canadian police messed.

The causes of the LA riots were nothing but a bunch thugs looking for an excuse to sack and steal from businesses and shops. They used the excuse of the king beating to destroy commercial areas. The cops that beat up King were pigs. The cops that beat up the looters were good cops.

KharmaDog
YEAH the police in LA are mean because there faced with such dire situations.
The worst situation to Toronto police faced when the man took a girl hostage last year and the whole city stoped and watched and 300 cops were called. It shocked the city and everyone thought it was the end of Toronto the good.

You continue to show absolutely no concept of the city that you live in. You are unaware of alot of the situations that the metro police face because often it is kept out of the press in order that things occur with leess fanfare (and therefore less danger). Toronto cops don't have to deal with the press as much as their american metropolis counterparts. However when the press finally gets through it's often blown way out of proportion.

The incident where the sniper took out the hostage taker in front of Union Station didn't make anyone think that "it was the end of Toronto the good". Actually you are the only person that I have seen doing this.

Afro Cheese
Oh come on, I'm sure these cops are quite experienced at dealing with lunatics. I've never been to Canada so I can't say for sure but personally I find all this "goody-two-shoes" image that comes with the country must be exagerrated. Regaurdless of what country it's in, Toronto is a huge city, and I'm sure the cops there are faced with this kind of stuff all the time. A maniac with a knife really isn't all that uncommon.

DCLXVI
Perhaps hitting the guy with the car was a tad too far, but if you ask me, people are too lenient with criminals nowadays....

Afro Cheese> Most Canadians are friendly, but we have @ssholes just like every other country......but other countries paint up this "goody-too-shoes" image of us because we are supposedly such a great contributor to the World Stage......

Lemonade Whiz
Cops are quite lenient, aren't they! yes
Driving down a Florida highway, speed demons go ten or so miles over a speed limit with a cop behind them, and the pig does absolutely nothin!!!!!
miffed
That's B.S.
Oh well...I drive the speed limit, so this doesn't bother me big grin

DCLXVI
laughing out loud
No, I meant society as a whole is becoming too lenient with Criminals.
What with all the special treatment, Criminals got, I'd think I was worst off than them.....stick out tongue

Lemonade Whiz
Some definitely have special treatment.

Take for instance...Martha Stewart

DCLXVI
roll eyes (sarcastic)
Exactly. And even lesser prisoners and criminals do as well.
I mean, they have more sex in a day than I do in half a year! eek!
stick out tongue
J/K.....

Afro Cheese
That's called rich people getting special treatment.

Criminals don't get "special treatment" because that's sorta impossible. Special treatment when compared to who, law abiding citizens? Maybe the cops aren't as hard on them as you may think they should be, but that doesn't mean cops treat criminals better than they treat the average person.

manny321
no kharma dog, i said very seldom such public desperate acts happen like the guy who put himself on fire. Knife welding happens often i know but it only goes very public if it is on a busy street or if it is a odd ending.

Many people think Toronto crime is high but i actually say it is not. Its a fact and i read in a magazine (think it was McLean's or Canadian business) that it is low compared to the city in the prairies. KNife welding situations happen yes but not so publicly.

For a city almost 3 million 60 murders is low and the opinion of "the end of Toronto the good" is not from me but from the media and other people. So by having a low crime rate when something like the guy burning himself happens people have not seen that for a while, and think Toronto is messed. If alot of crap like this happens in a short period this idea develops. If it spaced over a year its normal but for example one i think 4-5 people got murdered in one weekend and people were saying it was a crime wave. If that happened over a month no one would care.

NOTE i think Toronto is safe other have that idea!! The idea of Toronto the good is created because it has a low crime rate for its size and has a big rep on that. When something real drastic happens people start questioing it. That why there is so much debate.

manny321
Back to the Police, i don't think the regular police has teasers. Only the emergency task force does. Where they there???

Pepper spraying him would get police to close and rubber bullets and tear gas is not really used around here unless if there are many people involved or if its riot.

Afro Cheese
Yeah well having a low murder rate is a great thing but it doesn't mean cops in Toronto don't deal with plenty of tough shit. Besides, there is a difference between a murder rate and an overall violent crime rate. A city can have a high crime rate and a low murder rate. Just cause not that many people are actually killed in Toronto doesn't mean that Toronto cops are less experienced than American ones. I'm sure being a cop in Toronto is still a very dangerous job, as it is in any big city like that.

WindDancer
no kharma dog, i said very seldom such public desperate acts happen like the guy who put himself on fire. Knife welding happens often i know but it only goes very public if it is on a busy street or if it is a odd ending.

Many people think Toronto crime is high but i actually say not it is not. Its a fact and i read in a magazine (think it was McLean's or Canadian business) that it is low compared to the city in the prairies. KNife welding situations happen yes but not so publicly.

For a city almost 3 million 60 murders is low and the opinion of "the end of Toronto the good" is not from me but from the media and other people. So by having a low crime rate when something like the guy burning himself happens people have not seen that for a while, and think Toronto is messed. If alot of crap like this happens in a short period this idea develops. If it spaced over a year its normal but for example one i think 4-5 people got murdered in one weekend and people were saying it was a crime wave. If that happened over a month no one would care.

NOTE i think Toronto is safe other have that idea!! The idea of Toronto the good is created because it has a low crime rate for its size and has a big rep on that. When something real drastic happens people start questioing it. That why there is so much debate.

But I think that KD was trying to say is that the police in Toronto don't deal with the media as much as other police depts in other cities. Maybe that's why police corruption in Toronto is not known because the press don't get involved. To be honest I don't know how Toronto Police act, but you can't say that all the dept. is entirely good cops. There must be some lose ends.

manny321
Tough but not even near LA and such, as i have seen. Living in LA was sort of messed up for me because there was so much more murder, robbery, chasing then i am used to up here.
Serious i couldn't even imagine some of those crime in LA happening here guy. That whole tank thing in san Diego, the guys with ak's in bank of America building and crazy police chases which i thought were movies sometimes. My dad was in LA during the riots and he says he is never going back. I went with my mother and sister in 99 and wow. I bow to the officers who deal with all that crap.

Yes doing policing here is hard. Its been only 7 years since a cop was killed in action in Toronto.

manny321
Not really remember Kharma when the THE star accused the police of being racist blacks. The police actually sued the newspaper. They were recent police corruption charges last year. Shit has happened to the police here.

To sum it murders are still the same as 10 years ago but violent crimes with guns increasing. I have been to Sydney, good city but many many people get murdered there and they are quite shocking. Also another note Saskatoon a rural city has the highest crime rate in Canada. Now who going to believe that???

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Yeah well having a low murder rate is a great thing but it doesn't mean cops in Toronto don't deal with plenty of tough shit. Besides, there is a difference between a murder rate and an overall violent crime rate. A city can have a high crime rate and a low murder rate. Just cause not that many people are actually killed in Toronto doesn't mean that Toronto cops are less experienced than American ones. I'm sure being a cop in Toronto is still a very dangerous job, as it is in any big city like that.

exactly

Renio
well i just dont like canada that much

DCLXVI
Then don't post here. wink
Afro Cheese> No, I don't really believe that they are getting treated better than most normal citizens. But it just seems that so many people are fighting so hard to excuse Cons and ex-Cons of their crimes, allowing them to continue doing those crimes once they get out of Prison.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Renio
well i just dont like canada that much

On behalf of all Canadians, I think that we'll survive and be able to go on in the face of this terrible news.

Da Moose
Originally posted by KharmaDog
On behalf of all Canadians, I think that we'll survive and be able to go on in the face of this terrible news.

OMG OMG OMG! He doesn't like Canada? KD, what are we gonna do? I don't think I can go on.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

manny321
omg the main reason people hate canada because they think its a socialist state with socialist news services. Not true!!!

Afro Cheese
Who thinks that?

manny321
Many people who watch to much FOX news. I went to the south and yes people think i'm a socalist because i come from CANADA. Don't give that crap afro!!

Afro Cheese
Those people you spoke to were either idiots, or just joking around. Presumably both.

manny321
then there must be a high number of idiots in your country.
laughing

Okay anyways i don't really care if you do, but just give a reason. I don't like FOX why?? THey lie and they never ever cover the other part of the story.

Demarthl
that was just funny

Afro Cheese
I think most likely if anyone said they thought Canada was socialist they were kidding, and there is no way the majority of Americans you met said that to you. For those who did, it was probably meant to be a joke and you just took it wrong. I've never met anyone who honestly thought Canada was a socialist country or that people who lived there were socialists, and I've lived in America all my life.

I don't get what Fox News has to do with any of this... contrary to popular belief, stupid people have been around since before Fox news.

manny321
I know the average American doesn't think that but the stupid people who think that are Not joking they mean it fully!

Oh come on i thought you would give a reason why you do like Canada. I am very interested to know.

Afro Cheese
Why do I like Canada? I dunno.. never been there so how would I know anything I like about Canada? Wait, who said I like Canada?

manny321
sorry mistake why don't you like canada?

Afro Cheese
I wasn't the one who said I don't like Canada, that was someone else.

Lemonade Whiz
The main point here is that police can be violent wherever they are, no matter if its Canada , America, or Uzbekistan. no expression
The topic of discussion was about the criminal and the cop and the problems involved with them.
Let's stop acting like peasants fighting over bread and go on with our lives.

Ironman
and people wonder why i say canada can go suck a fat ass (sorry had a bad expirence in canada)

Beast_Within
Originally posted by KidRock
http://www.pulse24.com/In_The_Raw/Raw_Video/20050308-001/Video-5-2.asx

Police in Canada sure know how to get thier job done eh? They could have simply pepper sprayed or tazered the man but instead they decide to run him over with a car. What a violent country that is. How could my home country police do that??cry

sk8stuff09
whoever thinks canada is violent, u are very wrong......the yearly homicide rates in the U.S. are way more high than Canada........plus, guns are outlawed to civilians in Canada, so that helps.

Lemonade Whiz
Yeah, Michael Moore showed a movie about the "no guns allowed" thing.

Still...violence is prevalent everywhere. Even in good ol' fashioned Canada.

corpsefire
Micheal Moore's a fatass

Napalm
Canada: the land of supreme suckage

Da Moose
Originally posted by Napalm
Canada: the land of supreme suckage

Well, at least we don't have post Columbine,"I'm gonna kill you you ass wipe" on an internet message board, half wit morons.

Oh, and who also pass off pathetic pictures as their own. laughing out loud

bilb
Moosie!! kisses

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ironman
and people wonder why i say canada can go suck a fat ass (sorry had a bad expirence in canada)

I've a few bad experiences in the States but I dont hate the country.
Did anybody read the The New York Times bashing Canada?
Here's the the Canadian article by the Ottawa Citizen.

"Canada is a "great white waste of time" whose "docile, Zamboni-driving" Molson-sucking citizens consume seal casseroles as they export terrorism, mad cow disease, "and even deadlier Gordon Lightfoot and Nickelback albums" to the United States, some American media reports suggested last week.

The unflattering composite portrait, only partly satirical, emerges from stories in influential U.S. media outlets this past week when Canuck-bashing arguably reached new lows before the summit last Wednesday of President George W. Bush, Prime Minister Paul Martin and Mexican President Vicente Fox in Crawford, Texas.

Most serious perhaps, was the New York Times editorial a week ago in which the newspaper repeated unproven, but persistent, allegations that terrorists in Canada routinely slip into the U.S. through a porous border.

"Suspected terrorists have long been entering the country from Canada," asserted the Times, calling it "shocking ... how little progress has been made in securing our borders."

Canada's ambassador to the U.S., Frank McKenna, fired off a strong letter to the editor that was published in the Times Saturday.

"The ambassador is very keen on having these sorts of issues ... responded to within the news cycle," Bernard Etzinger, a spokesman for Canada's Embassy in Washington said yesterday.

"He said we should answer the editorial and state the facts about the security relationship."

The New York Times also ran a story March 23 by its Canadian correspondent, Clifford Krauss, headlined "Canada May be a Close Neighbour, but it Proudly Keeps Its Distance." The story notes that "with the possible exception of France," a nation known for its anti-U.S. sentiment, "no traditional ally has been more consistently at odds with the United States than has Canada." The story recited a litany of Canada-U.S. disagreements since the Second World War.

They ran the gamut from Canada's refusal to fully back the late U.S. president John Kennedy during the Cuban missile crisis, to the welcome given U.S. draft dodgers during the Vietnam war, to the Liberals' present refusal to sign on to the U.S. ballistic-missile defence shield and Canada's push for the International Criminal Court and the Kyoto climate-control accord -- which are both opposed by the Bush administration.

Noting Canadian historian Jack Granatstein's observation that anti-Americanism is "Canada's state religion," the story states that, while Canadian and American leaders "always claim the greatest fondness for one another, more often than not they have not gotten along very well. When they have, Canadian leaders have sometimes had to pay a political price."

Then last Monday there was an eyebrow-raising cover story on Canada in the Weekly Standard, a Washington-based conservative magazine that is considered a must-read publication for those inside America's beltway.

The magazine's contributing editors include Canadian David Frum and U.S. political commentator and humourist P.J. O'Rourke. In "Welcome to Canada: The Great White Waste of Time," senior writer Matt Labash observes that most Americans -- when they think of Canada at all -- regard it "as North America's attic, a mildewy recess that adds little value to the house, but serves as an excellent dead space for stashing Nazi war criminals, drawing-room socialists, and hockey goons."

Canadians delude themselves that they are a "superior race," but Americans see them as "a docile, Zamboni-driving people who subsist on seal casserole and Molson," writes Mr. Labash. "Their hobbies include wearing flannel, obsessing over American hegemony, exporting deadly mad cow disease and even deadlier Gordon Lightfoot and Nickelback albums."

He adds: "You can tell a lot about a nation's mediocrity index by learning that they invented synchronized swimming. Even more so by the fact that they are proud of it."

Mr. Etzinger dismissed the Weekly Standard's story as "an ideological rant" that doesn't represent American mainstream views.

"I think we are great friends. What a few people say on the extremes of either side of the political spectrum don't represent what the vast majority of Americans have to say."

He acknowledged that the New York Times editorial was a serious matter for Canada.

"The bottom line is that it's important for us to dispel what myths may remain, and to reinforce Canada's image in the United States, not just as a security partner. Our message is that we are a country that is under threat. We are a country that has in fact responded to that threat, and we are partners in fighting that threat. And I think often times that doesn't immediately come to (the Americans') mind." "

Thats the end of the article. It is quite funny on how some major media outlets can write about something that they have no proof but just thier opinion. This might be a reason why outsiders have a negative view on the States. Im not saying I dont, but to the general public.

manny321
I would be more concerned about terrorists coming from the Mexican border. I was watching CBC and they were talking about how some border agents check illegals crossing the border, and a few times they get people of the middle east.

Once someone is a Canadian landed immigrant all they need is a visa to go in to The US. When they are citizens then they are allowed in, no visa needed. So it's up to you guys at the border to let them or not or to give them visas. And lol i bet only 2% of the population has every driven a Zamboni or on a dog sled or lived in an igloo. Idiots. I can say more factual things about the US, because maybe i tired going there first before calling it things.

We are a sovereign nation, that is free to make its own decisions. Every country should be free, thats what bush said! I know Most Americans know we have the right to make our own decisions, as i have seen it. Very idiotic thing to say. Its okay to disagree with our views on issues, but to call us bad/evil people over that is stupid.

I know in times of need, we would support each other but not in times of self interests (Iraq war, missile defence, Vietnam war)

Smasandian
And this was the Times Magazine editorial. Not some small time magazine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.