Russell Crowe: Center of his Universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Burger
Not much to say, except here is yet another reasons to hate this arrogant ****:
-----------------

Al Qaeda May Have Targeted Oscar-Winner Crowe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe said he may have been a target of an al Qaeda kidnap plot in early 2001, part of a bid by the militant network to "culturally destabilize" the United States.

The Australia-based Crowe told GQ magazine in an interview that he received FBI protection throughout the filming of "A Beautiful Mind" and for part of "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World." He also was flanked by undercover agents at the Golden Globe awards ceremony in 2001.

When asked who might have been targeting him, Crowe replied: "Um ... well, that was the first conversation in my life that I'd heard the phrase al Qaeda."

New Zealand-born Crowe, who won the Best Actor Academy Award in 2001 for "Gladiator," said he was told a French policewoman in Libya or Algeria had picked up the threat in a recording.

"I don't think that I was the only person (targeted). But it was about -- and here's another little touch of irony -- it was about taking iconographic Americans out of the picture as a sort of cultural-destabilization plan," he said.

Crowe said that at some point the FBI "thought the threat had probably or had possibly been overstated, and then they started to question their sources ... ."

Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network carried out the Sept. 11, 2001, hijacked airliner attacks on the United States.

botankus
The people he needs to worry about most are some of the loons in the "Movie Stars and Celebrities" forum!

PVS
i dont find this so hard to believe. al queda considers hollywood to be the greatest evil in america besides our 'jew controlled capitalism'...at the time crow was on top of the box office...makes sense to me. i see no cause (from this article) to believe that he was making it up to get attention.

King Burger
Originally posted by PVS
i dont find this so hard to believe. al queda considers hollywood to be the greatest evil in america besides our 'jew controlled capitalism'...at the time crow was on top of the box office...makes sense to me. i see no cause (from this article) to believe that he was making it up to get attention.

Who said that that is what Al-Qaeda believes? I never heard in
any of their taped messages any refernces to "captialists" (so
AL-Qaeda are now die-hard communists?) or to Hollywood.

And are you one of those who believes that Al-Qaeda is targeting
the US because "they hate our freedom", as Bush and his media
hordes say?

I never meant to imply that he made it up, just that he is stupid
enough, and arrogant enough, to believe such a rumor which the
FBI itself says is probably over-stated.

(By the way, since when are there french police women in Libya
or Algeria?)

PVS
oh so now you are just going to use straw man tactics and attempt to make a caricature of me as a blind bush supporter? really was that called for?

in case you havent known, the WTC is the heart of the world bank and american capitalism, which directly affects peoples lives overseas, keeping them impoverished. unless you honestly believe they just played 'eeny meeny myney mo' when picking a building to attack?

PVS
anyway, pay attention to the new present and past.
alqueda (afghan taliban) embarked on a campaign of destroying
images of people and...well...anything alive. remember those giant budda statues that were demolished? or the fountain sculpture of horses which were beheaded? they view any artificial representation of a living thing as evil, in that it is assumed that they will be worshipped (makes no sense, but i never insinuated that it should) because the bible forbids idol worshipping.

common sense would dictate that hollywood, TV, movies, are viewed as a type of worship by these fundamentalists, and that movie stars are being worshipped, breaking the first commandment.

King Burger
I think they were smart enough to know that two downed buildings
won't have that big of an effect on the biggest economy in the world.

The buildings were chosen because they were big, and therefore their
bombing would have a greater psychological effect, which is the whole
point of "terrorism" (subjective word to describe hidden-guerilla style
war-fare).

Very strongly disagree.

The Taliban are different than Al-Qaeda. They have certain things in
common, but one was an ultra-puritan ruling "government" of a
country, and the other was basically an international militant or
guerilla movement. The Taliban's goals were a "righteous" islamic
nation, while Al-Qaeda's goals were to wage a global war on those
nations deemed occupying or threatening muslims.

The destruction of the statues and the other such acts, were done by
the Taliban for the reasons I stated above. Being ultra-puritans, they
saw them as blasphemous. I seriously doubt Al-Qaeda cared much
for such small local matters.

The attack on the US had absolutely nothing to do with US culture or
"freedom" (as Georgy boy would say), but rather was just meant to try
to force the US out of muslim lands, much like other guerilla goup
tactics.

Besides, even those who hate america's decadent pop-culture, don't
do so to the extent that they want to attack or destroy the US for
it, rather they tend to concentrate their efforts locally, much like the
Taliban. They sought to purify Afghanistan of "blasphemous"
cultural elements, not the US or the whole world, just their own
country.

No body kills themselves (and others) over culture. Even the British
and French imperialists of the 19th and early 20th centuries, who
often spoke of extending the benefits of "Western civiliation" to the
peoples of Africa and Asia, were just engaging in old specious
propoganda (much like Curious George now), to hide their real
agenda.

Bottom line: Al-Qaeda coulnd't give a rat's a** about Russell Crowe.

Wonderman
The sad fact of the matter is this. We live in America and whatever the reason for the killing, we have to protect our people, whatever the reason.
I guess that all you are saying is that Crow is playing on that truth to garner some fame for himself.
Well then I myself must be an arrogant slob too. Cause when someone uses my name, I stand up...straw man or not.
I doubt that someone as famous as Crow...who in my opinon is a darn good actor, needs to sit back and let anyone use him for ulterior motives. Be they fans or the enemy.

balloon

alic88
please correct me if i am wrong
since when have we found evidence that al-qaeda actually were the terrorists who did the hideous crime of 9/11

Darth Revan
Originally posted by PVS
in case you havent known, the WTC is the heart of the world bank and american capitalism, which directly affects peoples lives overseas, keeping them impoverished. unless you honestly believe they just played 'eeny meeny myney mo' when picking a building to attack?

Still, the fact that they knew that doesn't mean they hate capitalism. All it means is that they know how to pick an effective target. Besides which, I'm with King Burger on the point that destroying two buildings (albeit important ones) would not truly cripple the American economy.

PVS
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Still, the fact that they knew that doesn't mean they hate capitalism. All it means is that they know how to pick an effective target. Besides which, I'm with King Burger on the point that destroying two buildings (albeit important ones) would not truly cripple the American economy.

never insinuated that it would, and i would bet they knew it wouldnt.
but along that same logic, do you think they actually believed that they would cripple our military by striking the pentagon? or perhaps end our executive branch by destroying the white house (which they intended to do)?

these were all symbolic targets.

1-top leadership (evil so they say)
2-nerve center of military(ditto)
3-center of capitalism (ditto)

its not that they 'hate freedom'. honestly i dont think they even give a shit about our democracy. however, the 3 targets mentioned before directly affect the lives of third world nations. the troops who stand on muslem soil, the government who ordered them there, and the world bank which forces them into poverty. ***now, before anyone goes on a rant about me defending terrorists, let me STRESS: i defend people of third world nations who have the right to be angry with us, not a group of murderers who exploit their cause.

its a valid grievence, but they (terrorists) took a sound arguement, a valid cause for anger, and twisted it to suit their ambitions.

PVS
and btw, crowe never said that al qaeda was after him, only that he was TOLD that they were possibly after him. i really dont see how this makes him an a$$hole. perhaps those who informed him were just paranoid, perhaps not.
but i think you're barking up the wrong tree.

PVS
Originally posted by alic88
please correct me if i am wrong
since when have we found evidence that al-qaeda actually were the terrorists who did the hideous crime of 9/11

because bin laden said he did it? or are you asking for solid evidence?
if so, its impossible, as is the case with EVERY terrorist attack, so please lets not go down that road. its not like there is a paper trail or reciepts to discover.

KharmaDog
Osama took responsibility for the attack. That's not new information.

Imperial_Samura
If I wanted to bring the world to its knees I would kidnap Russel Crowe. Maybe Britney Spears. Then I would feed them to sharks while laughing maniacally!!! Bwahahahaha (all the while thinking what a stupid plan this was)

PVS
actually samura...i think you would be known as a hero among americans for that laughing out loud
not a wise move for a terrorist.

Imperial_Samura
Why thank you, and now next time I walk past his Australian home I will wonder what might yet be....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.