Movie Watching Strategy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
Something that really makes me mad is when people automatically compare a movie to something else that might be a little similar. For instance, my #1 pet peeve (right now, anyway): Underworld. They say it is a rip-off of Blade, The Matrix, The Crow, and anything that remotely resembles it.

UNDERWORLD IS NOT A RIP-OFF OF ANY OF THESE. It is not a rip-off to wear leather in a movie. It is not a rip-off to use vampires in a movie. They used wirework and slo-mo stuff in Underworld, no bullet time. Underworld was very monochromatic, all blue, white and black (which I think is a good thing). The Matrix and Blade had a wide range of color. Underworld is not a rip-off of anything. You may think it was bad, but it's NOT a rip-off

Anyway, here's my strategy when going to see a movie: When you go in, wall off EVERYTHING that you heard about it. Everything the critics said, everything your friends say, everything that you yourself think about the movie, anything that it might be compared to. That way it will be fresh and new to you, no matter what it may look like. I GUARANTEE that you will enjoy it more.

Example: Matrix Revolutions. I went to see this, I used my strategy, and I thought: "Man, this is one awesome movie! Kick@$$!" Then, when I left the theatre, I let the walls down. And then I realized: "That was kinda crappy!"

So, even if you end up thinking it's a bad movie, you will enjoy the actual watching of the movie more, and you won't feel like you wasted you money.

Thank you and good night

Sorry, I just felt that I had to vent Happy Dance

botankus
My #1 pet peeve....light green font!

caballera
Oh yeah? My #1 pet peeve...YOU! j/k haha. I agree about comparing movies to other movies. It's annoying. I'm studying screenwriting and a guy in my class always compares movies people are writing to existing movies for no reason. (i.e. the movie i'm writing is just like 21 grams because it's a drama in which someone dies.)

caballera
so yes, i feel both of your collective pain (s) .

Lord Soth
I stopped for a while, but so many people wanted me to keep doing it, that I just decided to keep it Happy Dance

roundisfunny
Or, take for example, the fact that most movies these days are sequels, remakes or adaptations. It's hard NOT to find a movie that's not based on SOMETHING.

The problem is, I think, that Hollywood has gotten lazy. They know that most movie ticket buyers are aged 13 to 24. What 13-year-old ever heard of "Starsky and Hutch" before he saw the movie? What percentage of 24-year-olds are such geeks that they can actually compare the movie version of "Hellboy" to the comic? Hollywood knows that the majority of moviegoers are completely oblivious to pre-existing versions of what they're about to see; in fact, they count on it.

Hollywood worships the almighty dollar; this much is certain. To make as much bucks as possible with the least amount of effort, they are more than willing to recycle as much as they can from the previous generation's hits.

Therein lies the problem for us movie aficionados. We are so jaded by having seen so much already, that we are further embittered every time we suffer through the same tinseltown re-hash.

So, what's the solution? Well, for our part, we can at least take some effort to check out some movies that are actually worthwhile. Do your homework; check out the movie guides and find some undiscovered gems from the silent era to the Tarantino generation.

I bought a two-pack of H.B. Halicki DVDs yesterday. I had never heard of him before, but now he ranks as one of my favorites, mostly because of his uniqueness. Now, I'm not saying he's for everybody, but my newfound fondness for his work illustrates that even the most devoted movie fan can still find an untapped treasure from time to time.

Orlando Bloom03
Cool!!!! I love glow!!!! So just so you know your top post is too long!

Lord Soth
'Kay round,I'll take this one step at a time big grin

Sad but true

This is true as well. While I admit I have never seen Starsky and Hutch the TV show and I have never read the Hellboy comic, I always make myself aware to anything of that sort.

Again, sad but true. I'm unhappy that Hollywood milks old stuff for as much money as they're worth, but I never let that stop me from enjoying the movie I'm about to see

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.