security cameras are thay spying on the public?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Filth
this is somthing I have always felt strongly about, i feel they are spying on the public and i find them totaly usless, what brigs this up is something that happed to me the othere day. A few days ago i was just hangging around town with a few friends we were just wandering around aimlessly then we meet up with some older lads they told us some little get had been giving them mouth and had pulled a knife on one of the older lads. A little while latter we saw this person so on of the older lads and one of my friends went over to see he, then the older lad just jumped at this lad and beat the hell out of him, i went over to see how baddly injured this lad was, he was quite messed up so i just walked away. Anyway a little while later an we were informed that the older lad had been arested and had stabed this other lad. The next day I saw the older lad he is being done for ABH whitch is fair enough but the police have a picture of me and it looks like I am standing on this kids head so even tho I did nothing the police are on the look out for me all because of bad positioning of a camera, and i know there is no way they are gonna believe my story but its 100% true.

So what are your views on this?

Victor Von Doom
Caught/proved who was the perpetrator. Good thing.

Reborn Again

Filth
I just feel like there just there to spy on us, espetial when they plater them every where, what happend to enforcing law the good old way a pig on every corner? where i live out of the aproximatly 100 police there is only one who patroles the streets Pc Rile, the whole system is currupt suraly if they cought this whole fight on camera they could see i did nothing, the 2 older lads who were cought were not show any vidieo futtage they were shown pictures one being the one of me apperently standing on this kids head, i'm sure that if they showed me the video futtage they could see i was a good 4 feet away from this kid.

Df02
this is ridiculous...Security camera's spying on people??
surely the name of them suggest they're there for security purposes, identifying criminals etc.

and the 1984 comment...well...the only reason any1 would have any objection to this surveilance sorta thing, would be potential criminals...if you've done nothing wrong, theres no reason to be bothered by surveilance

Victor Von Doom
Exactly. 1984 was hardly the same scenario.

I can only see a problem with 'privacy', but if it's on a public street, what's the problem.

Filth
There problem is they plaster these things everywere what use are they? they hardly ever catch people anyway, there positioned to spy on people rather than keep the streets safe.

Df02
what ****ing world do you live in?
u never turned on sky1 at around 9-10pm, theres ALWAYS police programs on where security cameras catch people fighting. i myself have been caught fighting and vandalising stuff on camera before.

im pretty sure the government has better things to do than spy on people walking around town shopping...

Filth
I dont get chance to watch TV, but common did they catch Charles Manson on camera? no, did they catch Harrold Shipman of camera? NO, they only catch the petty crimes like fighting.

Df02
haha, thats the most retarded thing ive ever heard...
so because they only catch petty crimes we should get rid of them? so ur saying that they should be removed, alloweing petty crimes like fighting to go unchecked? think before you post

they may not have caught harold shipman, but that was because he was INSIDE HIS DOCTORS OFFICE. and if there was a camera in there you'd be screaming blue murder aout the government spying on you.

sort your ideas out into a coherant form before posting again plz

Filth
Look all im saying is get rid of some of the camreas and have police patroling the streets, make the gets working for a change, had they not concentrated on petty crimes (whitch they do because they can fine you its easy money for them) the would have cought Shipman.

Lemonade Whiz
Security cameras are becming a problem mad has anyone seen those news articles where they have survelliance systems installed in the public bathrooms?
Even in some WalMarts a camera is positioned in the far corner right above a damn toilet! mad mad
What is going on!!!!!!
Can't a man take a decent crap for once without someone watchin' him?
Geez Louise.

Hey, Filth, I'm sorry for what happened to you. Take it easy, alright.

Df02
but they DID catch harold shipman
they cant solve a case until theres evidence tho erm

Security cameras are a good thing, the ones in toilets arent permenantly monitored...its not like sum1 is ACTUALLY watching you, its just recorded...and if its needed (say if sum1 is found dead in there) then the video is played back

Lemonade Whiz
My mistake.
I didn't think about that.

That would be a horrible way to go though, being killed in a restroom.

Deano
http://www.prisonplanet.com/archive_big_brother.html

brilliant site about a surveilance society

furryman
Harold Shipman hardly stabbed his victims on the street

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Filth
Look all im saying is get rid of some of the camreas and have police patroling the streets

So the police can spy on us instead? What exactly is the difference? Besides...none?

Originally posted by Filth
had they not concentrated on petty crimes (whitch they do because they can fine you its easy money for them) the would have cought Shipman.

The police would have never caught him, it was a matter of lack of supervision from the medical profession.

SlipknoT
Wiat so your frinds got in a fight with some chavs?

Filth
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Wiat so your frinds got in a fight with some chavs?

Yaeh, there was only one chav who was attacked but he was quite seriously injured.

I feel that a sercuraty camera can do nothing but watch, where as if they had police men out and about people would be scared to commit crime in the streets as they can be cought instantly, where as with a camera it can take days to catch you.

And the whole Shipman thing all they had to do is look at his patiant list and they would have found they seemed to be die off quite quick.

Imperial_Samura
I think security camera's have a part to play in society, but I don't really see how they can be considered spying. Here in Australia you usually know there are camera's, many places have little signs saying "premises under 24 hour surveillance", so its not like they hide the fact your being watched, but then, its not just you, its everybody. They act as, firstly, a deterrence (being that one assumes a person would think twice about committing a crime if they knew they could be identifiable on camera) and secondly as a tool to help catch crims. Its been said that if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you don't have anything to worry about. I mean, really, what does a law abiding person do in a public street that they need to be worried about?

Also, back in my home town there was an area, post office lane, which was a trouble spot with drugs, fights etc (a dark side street) so the council installed lights and some security cameras, and the problem disappeared (or at least moved to a less noticeable spot) so they do seem to have an effect.

Filth
Its just like Reborn Again said "1984", think of it this way when you are out in public they can watch everything your doing, ok fair enough thats to stop people commiting crime, but now they have been instaled in toilets. Its said they them tapes are not watched unless something happens, but how do we know there is not some govemental pervert watching us urinate? think about this violence in the home is rappidly increasing but would you let them put cameras in your homw to make sure you were commiting crime? NO you would not, so is it not the same in public places? i agree with them on privert property but in public places its simply spying on us, here in england they can hide a camera anywere in public. They dont have to warn you of them, tequnicaly this is what spying is "Spying: to seek or observe something secretly and closely" does that not prove that by putting up cameras tht nobody knows about as spying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.