The new generation vs. the old generation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheForceSupreme
No idea if this is the right forum to post it in...if not please move it.

Come the end of 2005 all the episodes will be on DVD and that's where it starts. We the old generation have grown up with the OT and now near the end of the PT...so we have never known about the things that happened before A new Hope.

So just how will the new generation of star wars fans see star wars? I mean they will not experience it the way we did. Imagine for a sec that we all started first ep 1 and so on...would we see star wars the same way we do now?

Jedi Priestess
Dang thats a hard question. Times were so different in 1977. Going to have to meditate on this I will..............good Q Force. smile

Darth Subjekt
Well i personally feel sorry for the new Star Wars heads. But i also beleive it is up to us, the ol skool, to present it in the way it was meant (if we have the means of course). If you look at the OT vs the PT, theyre completely different types of movies. If i was introduced to SW via Ep1, i prolly wouldnt like it. I just would have watched because of NP sexy ass. But yea i think they see itin a completely different way.

I myself, have shown my 4 year old the OT before i let him see the PT, and he can tell the difference between them even at his young age. I mean he laughs at Jar Jars dumb ass, but then again thats why he was put in there. And thank you for a good thread finally. Most of these other ones stink of shit.

Bardock42
Well if I had seen Ep. I first I most probably wouldn't be a star wars fan.
Well actually like Subjekt said maybe for NP shifty

Cascador
maybe a little out of topic...But if they made the classics now...the story would be a lot different....maybe even better!!! It would be an interesting topic, but I don't know where to place it...even ep III would be different.

Jedi Priestess
I dont see how they could improve on the classics myself.

Cascador
I'm telling you, the story would be better/different if it was made in the right order...I don't say that it would improve so much, cause yeah the cast would be different and myeah you are never gonna find such a good cast anymore like harrison, mark and carrie

yo_yoda
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Well i personally feel sorry for the new Star Wars heads. But i also beleive it is up to us, the ol skool, to present it in the way it was meant (if we have the means of course). If you look at the OT vs the PT, theyre completely different types of movies. If i was introduced to SW via Ep1, i prolly wouldnt like it. I just would have watched because of NP sexy ass. But yea i think they see itin a completely different way.

I myself, have shown my 4 year old the OT before i let him see the PT, and he can tell the difference between them even at his young age. I mean he laughs at Jar Jars dumb ass, but then again thats why he was put in there. And thank you for a good thread finally. Most of these other ones stink of shit.

i agree... i did the same. i let my girlfriend see the OT first then the PT.
she never seen a starwars moive until we met. she wanted to expeirence epIII with me, so i let her watch the movies in the order i grew up watching.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Dang thats a hard question. Times were so different in 1977. Going to have to meditate on this I will..............good Q Force. smile

Yeah I think I remember me bringing this Question up in the temple, and you and few others promptly replied "who cares?"

Cascador
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
But i also beleive it is up to us, the ol skool, to present it in the way it was meant

That's exactly what I mean! I'm a deep core star wars fan and love it! But the thing is...it's not made as it meant to be despite the fact how good it is! First of all...the Death Star wouldn't be blown up in ep IV. It would stay a remaining threat until the end of ep VI! The reason why it was blown up is because they didn't know star wars would become such a succes!

jimmy986
i think both ways provide a different experience. watching it from ep 1 through ep 6 you dont know that the republic is going to fall and that anakin turns to the dark side along with palpatine being evil. On the other hand watching it from ep 3-6 and then ep1-3 you know palpatine and anakin are going to turn but you dont know that anakin is luke and leias father. each way holds a different surprise but i think that the surprise of anakin being the father and leia being lukes sister is by far the most surpriseing part.

wallalupp
TPM was the first SW movie I saw and I'm a hardcore fan now

PVS
impossible to tell.
only someone who has seen it for the first time in 123456 order can give you that perspective.

Sadako of Girth
Which is the way my better-half will see it, by her decision....

"I am your father" will not have that same nerve shattering impact that
I was blessed with being a 456123 guy...
Nor will she have had the same hindsight I did (Knowing who Palps was from the outset, and knowing the ominous rumblings of the future when the clone army in ep2 was discovered... etc....)

Lan©eWindu™
If I ever have kids I will have them watch the OT first and get really into it, then I will introduce them to the PT.

Imaginary
I saw TPM, then I saw the OT, and then I watched AOTC in cinemas, now I'm going to watch ROTS. I saw TPM when I was about 8 years old, I was easily impressed. My brother who is a lot older, said that it was bad compared to the others and told me to watch the OT. I liked TPM, but it was only after I saw the OT that I realised how good SW was.

Darth_Nefarus
Sure you're supposed to see them 1-6, but watching them the way they were released is so much better. I appreciate the newer episodes because I was always curious how Anakin became Vader, how Palpatine took over, how bad ass Yoda and Obi-Wan were, etc.

That and I'm a Tarantino fan so I love things to be out of order.

TheForceSupreme
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

"I am your father"

Exactly my point.

New generation Star wars fan's reaction to the quote.

Duhhhh... roll eyes (sarcastic)

I feel sorry for all those who watch the PT first.

bILLYgOAT
guess what
this question has been asked before

bill9d9
My kids will see them in the order I saw them as well. 4,5,6,1,2,3

Too bad it will not be in theatre like I did.

Cascador
Originally posted by bill9d9
My kids will see them in the order I saw them as well. 4,5,6,1,2,3

Too bad it will not be in theatre like I did.

you never know....

Just_Joe
The only real buzz kill is the shock value of Vader being Lukes father.

Not to give George Lucas any ideas, but I'd like to see how Episodes 4-6 would be if they were made in order, starting with Phantom Menace.

In A New Hope, the battle between Obi and Vader would definately be more action packed. And Vader would be more evil, like he was in Empire.

There's no telling if the plots would even be the same for each movie.

One bummer is that Palpatine is gonna show off his Sithly powers big time against Yoda in ROTS...but gets thrown to his death so easily in ROTJ.

Plus Vader could say Padme's name from time to time. wink

xeous
Vader doesn't want to say Padme's name.

"Anakin is dead" remember?

Just_Joe
He(Vader) actually said her name(with sadness) in a Star Wars comic I read once before.

Does that count? Or is it considered expanded Universe crap which doesnt always count.

Cascador
Well that was going to be the point if he made them in order...He would give you the idea that Anakin is really dead...and the only hope were his children so the suprise element that Vader is his father would still be there. That was George Lucas idea. Like I said the death star wouldn't be blown up, it would be destroyed in ep VI, that is why a second one was made. The battles would be bigger, especially the one from Hoth. He wasn't satisfied at all with that. There were lots of reshoots for ESB, but that is one of the few things he couldn't reshoot or make bigger.

jimmy986
i also think the surprise of finding out yoda was this little green thing was great. we are with luke on dagobah wondering when this thing is going to take him to a great jedi master and then it turns out to be him.

Darth Plegueis
"There is another Skywalker" loses it's mystery.

Alatopel
The movies are ment to be seen 456123. It's the only way it makes sense to me. Otherwise, everything in the OT is ruined compleatly. The "I am your father" scene - gone. "Why do I have the feeling you're going to be the death of me someday?" - not quite as humorus, if you havn't seen ANH. You'll know from the onset that Obi's lying in ANH. So, if I ever have the pleasure of introducing someone to the entire saga, it will be in 456123 order.

Captain REX
I'll probably watch it 123456 just because there's nothing to ruin; I've seen the movies before, nothing can be ruined.

((The_Anomaly))
im gonna watch them 3, 2, 6, 1, 5, 4....just cause thats the order of my fav's (im assuming that i will like 3 the best) if not then just switch 3 with 2.

Jedi Priestess
I will always watch them in the order I saw them. 4,5,6,1,2,3 smile

And until Lucas or someone manages to put the originals out on DVD I'll be watching my tapes of 4,5 & 6 cause the SE's just suck so bad IMHO.

prod_
I saw star wars in a weird order...

1, 5,4,6,2 and am waiting for 3...

TPM was the second movie I had ever seen in a US theatre...smile

((The_Anomaly))
that is a weird order, i saw them 4,5,6,1,2, and soon to be 3! big grin

EHmasterJedi
Would i be considered in the old generation or the new, was was about 8 years old when i saw Epi 4,5,6 and that was probably 1994 or 1995 so i hit it at a really great time because the POTF figures where comming out and the SE would be out in the next few years. When i started collecting and being a huge fan i had NO idea they were going to make the prequils and may not have even known they where doing the SE at the time, so i guess you could consider me old generation, i mean i wasnt around when 4,5, and 6 first came out but i was a fan long before all the new stuff hit, in my oppinion, if it wasnt for Episodes 4, 5, and 6 Star Wars would have never been anything the way the prequils are after TPM if there was enough interest they MAY have made a 2nd but they would have just bored everyone to death with that, virtualy making every fan and movie goer think that Star Wars was one of those OK movies that made a normaly and expected bad sequel.

Jedi Priestess
You are in the new generation I'd say. But that only cause I only consider the old generation fans the ones that saw 4, 5 & 6 starting back in 1977. smile

carnage04
After we get EPIII on DVD I have two fantastic test subjects that have never seen ANY of the Star Wars films (27 years old or so.) The rest of my geeky Star Wars friends are going to watch them twice, one of them 1-6 and the other 4-1. They are relatively unspoilt, though one of them knows that "Dude's his dad". I'll probably use that test subject as the 1-6 as the big ESB surprise is known to him. The other knows the names "Amidala" and "Luke Skywalker" because that is how we refer to The Queen of Hearts and Jack of Clubs in a deck of cards.

Should be interesting. Of course, I'm somewhat old school. Born in 1977, so not THAT old school, but I grew up with the OT. My friends and I have been talking about another SW trilogy since 1992 (We actually thought they were going to make the Zahn trilogy for some reason.). I love the OT, but the PT is really growing on me too. I'd say in order I like ESB, AOTC, ANH, ROTJ, TPM. I've watched all of them more times than I'd like to admit, and I'm not ashamed to say that sometimes I even think AOTC is my favorite. Sometimes I would prefer to see TPM instead of ANH because besides it's obvious low points, Qui-Gon with apprentice Obi-Wan and our first glimpses of the Jedi council are awesome. I couldn't even imagine a galactic senate and it was great, even if the material is considered less than gripping. I enjoyed seeing a planet such as Naboo, which was probably far less beautiful by the time the empire came around, solely for the reason that it's like "Damn, Naboo society appears really cool." Coruscant, at the time of the PT looks like a place to hav e a great time. With the exception of possibly Bespin, you see NO nice places in the OT. It makes me look at the rebels in the OT, ragged and practically destroyed and realize "So THIS is what they are fighting for."

What I am trying to say is I try to view both the OT and PT together as a big saga, not two seperate entities. Sooo, I don't know if I'm new school or old school. wink I've even learned to deal with Jar-jar. There are always characters you like and some you hate in a saga this large. Granted he had less screen time, but seriously, Nein Numb as the MF's co pilot in the final battle. Pathetic. PATHETIC. I hardly found Lobot and the "Pig Men" in empire to be cool, not to mention the Ewoks..... Did they ruin the originals for me? Hell no.

Carnage

Sith Master X
<- Prequel trilogy all the way. smile

Padmé Amidala
I see the saga as one large film, so I cant seperate them

Cascador
I still see it seperate but when I've seen ROTS...Not anymore...one story...one saga.

darthmaul1
Reading all these makes you realize that everyone has a different opinion i do believe the order i like them will be 3 5 2 4 1 6
the SE rocked and i do belive the way i will watch them will be 1 2 3 4 5 6 as that is the way it should be watch especially with hayden at the end of ROTJ.

Cascador
if you watch it mixed...you could watch it as 415236

jedijunky1138
The problem is that the younger generation doesn't know anything but CGI. We old schoolers can remember a time before CGI so we have a greater appreciation for the amount of work put into the OT. I don't think that the release of the PT has diminished the importance of the OT on the film industry because without th OT we wouldn't have the PT. To put it another way, without the OT we may not have had the Special Effects revolution that GL spurred forward. However, to answer the original Q I don't think that the Younglings will be able to comprehend going from 100% CGI to Stop Motion Photography. Its kinda sad if you really sit down and think about it. I have just decided to look at the movies as Two separate trilogies and not a saga, it kinda makes it easier for me to enjoy the PT and still LOVE the OT.

Cascador
I don't give a damn if I'm considered old or young, I didn't see the old classics in the cinema. I was born in 1980...I grew up with them at home at vcr. So I really know what the difference is between CGI and the special effects in the OT. It looks much more realistic and less than a videogame like the PT. The opening in A New Hope is just overwhelming...looks so real when the Tantive IV and that giant Star Destroyer fly over. Stop Motion...yeah it's a real drag to make thing in stop motion. It was very good done if you see those AT-AT's, except for the early model of the AT-ST who walks by. Maybe they should have left that out, but I respect the work they've done for it. The space battle in ROTJ kicks ass! How they did it....wow...must have been a very tough job. But what I don't like of some of the old generation is that they consider themselves to be better, wiser than the young generation. Cause some here (I know at least one, not talking about myself) probably knows a lot more than most of the old generation.

jedijunky1138
Originally posted by Cascador
I don't give a damn if I'm considered old or young, I didn't see the old classics in the cinema. I was born in 1980...I grew up with them at home at vcr. So I really know what the difference is between CGI and the special effects in the OT. It looks much more realistic and less than a videogame like the PT. The opening in A New Hope is just overwhelming...looks so real when the Tantive IV and that giant Star Destroyer fly over. Stop Motion...yeah it's a real drag to make thing in stop motion. It was very good done if you see those AT-AT's, except for the early model of the AT-ST who walks by. Maybe they should have left that out, but I respect the work they've done for it. The space battle in ROTJ kicks ass! How they did it....wow...must have been a very tough job. But what I don't like of some of the old generation is that they consider themselves to be better, wiser than the young generation. Cause some here (I know at least one, not talking about myself) probably knows a lot more than most of the old generation. Dude I wasn't trying to trash you or any thing like that. sad
I just feel that it is sad that the younger generation did have the chance to see it the way it was meant to be seen, in the theater in 1977. You didn't get the chance to stand in a line that stretched around the block. I think I waited 3 hours to get in. The thing is to SOME of the younger fans the OT will probably seem "Old HAT".

Padmé Amidala
No no, well not proper fans, I was born in 1984, so I missed all of them lol But I absolutely love the old trilogy, been a fan since I was around 7

Cascador
I was talking in general...not precisely at you jedijunky1138, but I've see how a lot of people and not just on the KMC consider themselves better and wiser just because they saw the OT in the cinema. And it isn't "OLD HAT" to me and many young star wars fan...Like I said I may not have see the films in the cinema...but I grew with them. I had the action figures, the movies and most of all I like them from the beginning I saw them. My favorite is still the empire strikes back, and many agree on that because at this moment it's the darkest most dramatic in the OT (altho some say it's ROTJ which is the darkest and most dramatic)

TheElectricFox
Yeah i think people view it way differntly today. A girl in my Philosophy class(of course she was from South Africa) metioned that she had never seen as starwars movie and gathering from what clips she saw from Episode 1 she thought it was a movie series ment for kids. Everyone else in the class was shocked what she said, and the professor said, "yeah of course the force exists!" Everyone got it but her.

The first SW movie i saw was when i was 3 and i watched ROTJ on videotape. Yeah the Jabba Scenes were a bit scary for that age but the movie left me wanting to see the others. From then on the rest is history

Cascador
Well I saw ANH first I think about when I was 5...I actually considered Star Wars to be a Top Gun in space movie. Cause I was really amazed by the space battle in the end and I compared it to the air-battle at the end of Top Gun. When I became a little older and understood more, it became clearer to me what Star Wars is about. At that moment I heard about a lava fight. And I was dissapointed it wasn't in the movie. Cause it was suppose to be in ROTJ, and there was no news about prequels yet.

guiro72
from now on i will watch them 1-6....but i'm glad i grew up with the ot, and now the pt after....i do like the political themes in the pt, that's a lot deeper than it was in the ot....i was thinking the other day that if lucas' reason for making the ot was to awaken religious feelings in the youth of that time, then maybe his reason for making the pt is to awaken political awareness in the youth of today....i like the sound of that....

i was very pleased to hear ian mcdiarmid say that the pt was basically a comment on bush and the modern american political situation....but that lucas wasn't in a position to come right out and say it bluntly.....but anyone who wants a debate, i'll be going to bed in a minute so i won't be here to duke it out....thankfully....anyway, even if we disagree politically, my previous statement should still hold true from anyone's point of view....

the success of anh was a great deal to do with how natural the cast were, because no one knew what star wars was, so there was no self-consciousness....the pt is VERY self-conscious and a bit awkward by comparison....there was no way to avoid that really....this makes it very hard to compare them honestly....it flavours everything....

and yeah, i find it weird when people rate ep I and II as their favourite's and rank anh and esb last....i don't judge them for it, but it's just such a totally different perspective to mine....it's interesting....i can't imagine what it must be like....

jungleboygeorge
Well i am 21 years old, and i saw them as they were released, 456123. Unfortunately there was a downside - and it was a BIG downside. For some reason - maybe it was the fact i was so young when i first watched the OT and never really understood the story - but for whatever reason, i ALWAYS KNEW vader was lukes father. When i look back now i am disappointed that i never had that shock factor in that one scene.

But oh well, i cant complain - i got the excitement of the Special Edition OT in the cinemas, followed by the news of the PT, and have since been to both opening nights and plan to again for ROTS.

guiro72
because it is clearly telegraphed via film subtext in anh....and to think that some people still swear that lucas only invented the whole father/son thing when writing esb....ah well, what can you do....i think i always knew deep down as well, but it was all in the subconscious, as things are when you're 7 or 8 years old....best way to experience it....and i'm still very grateful i had the chance to see it that way myself....

cylob49
One of my greatest memories will always be the summer of 77.
Its sad that the kids of the future will never see the original versions and only the SE.
Luckily though they will have been spared those agonizing three year waits between movies,we kids of the 70s had to wait a long time to find out if Han survived the freezing process etc
we didnt have the benefit of watching JEDI immediatley after Empire.

Cascador
You almost sound like you are a martyr! lol

dwizard
My son 10 years of age saw them in 456, then 1 and 2. He is in for the long haul and me being that 7 year old kid back when it was released I wouldnt have it any other way.

But after its all said and done I want to watch them in order....

Personally I feel that this was one of the best, if not the best story ever told on film. Next to Lord of the Rings. But lets face it this is a story about a man who sells his soul to the devil but then is redeemed because of the unconditioinal love of his children.
For him to travers such a wicked path to return to grace and fulfill his destiny as the chosen on is an awsome inspiring story.

Jedi Priestess
I honestly feel there is too much of a stigma being attached to which generation you fall into. I personally think that its a matter of when you saw the movies in your lifetime. By that I mean, alot of people saw these movies as a kid and they have the great benefit of viewing them with a kids glee and abandon, something I'll never have and I wish I did at times. No matter what generation you come from everyone here is a fan or we wouldnt be here. Our perspectives are just different alot of times. smile

Cascador
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
I honestly feel there is too much of a stigma being attached to which generation you fall into. I personally think that its a matter of when you saw the movies in your lifetime. By that I mean, alot of people saw these movies as a kid and they have the great benefit of viewing them with a kids glee and abandon, something I'll never have and I wish I did at times. No matter what generation you come from everyone here is a fan or we wouldnt be here. Our perspectives are just different alot of times. smile

well said!

Jedi Priestess
Thanks! Once in awhile I manage to eek out a coherent thought or two. wink

DCLXVI
Well said by all....including JP....

The fact is, the PT will never be as good, nor as....hmm, well, as dynamic and exciting as the OT was....
I mean, when you first saw those opening crawl texts in the 70's and the 80's, (and the 90's for the SE), you were transfixed: "What is this?" And then when that glorified shot of the Tantive panning over the camera, being chased by the Star Destroyer....it looked real, and exciting, and it was new and strange in those days, when Special Effects were usually cheap and horribly done. The OT's was cheap, but they did it right, and it was all so new and exciting....
It was the same for most of TPM's cool CGI work....but now, Star Wars is almost ALL CGI, so there's nothing new and exciting about seeing one of the movies now....I mean, even ESB and RotJ outclass AotC, because they brought even better visual effects and better storytelling to the table....AotC, and probably RotS, have not and/or maybe will not.

Darth Subjekt
I dont think its fair to try to lump ROTS in there with the rest of the PT. I know its part of it, but just from the trailer, its pretty safe to say it will far surpass the other two. I foresee this movie equaling ESB, which is the best movie IMO. The only thing, and i mean ONLY thing that ROTS cant deliver that the ESB did, is that magnitude of a surprise....unless they try to do that shit with Palps being Anakins dad....which will make me leave the theater.

cylob49
The kids who grew up in the late 80s and 90s had seen all kinds of sci fi n fantasy on tv and at the movies by the time the OT was re-released in 97.
Back in 77 all we had were a few talking apes,Gort and Doug Mclure to go on so they will never have had that same buzz we did back then.

Just_Joe
I'm sure kids growing up with the prequel Trilogy are getting quite a buzz to like adults did with the original Trilogy.

I actually gasped in AOTC when they showed the Death Star hologram. So it still has it's little suprises for only being a prequel. smile

DCLXVI
Just_Joe> Not really, seeing as almost every goddamned movie has super-hyped CGI effects nowadays.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.