A Perfect Circle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Neo Baggins
I just figured out about this band a little while ago after I saw Constantine realizing that the song "Passive" is in this film. I bought eMOTIVe and I like it alot.

Darth Revan
Buy either Mer de Noms or Thirteenth Step. eMOTIVe isn't bad, but their other two albums are excellent.

Fearnix
I would say Mer de Noms was there best piece of work big grin

alic88
they have nice songs. THE HOLLOW is a really cool song

Afro Cheese
Thirteenth Step > Mer De Noms

StinkFist462
13th Step is the way to go ..

Darth Revan
Personally I like Mer De Noms about the same, if not a little bit more. But they're both amazing albums.

Fearnix
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Personally I like Mer De Noms about the same, if not a little bit more. But they're both amazing albums.

thumb up

alic88
oh and 3 libras is a damn good song

room #99
Me de noms is their best album. every song is amazing and it flows right!

13th step did not do it for me i only liked 4 songs

MildPossession
Emotive is a bore, just get their main albums. I prefer remixes of their songs. The Hollow is a great song yes.

Alpha Centauri
I prefer Thirteenth Step.

Not listened to APC for a while. Staying away for a bit.

-AC

Deathblow
Thirteenth Step kicks the living hell out of Mer De Noms as an overall album. Takes longer to get into though.

Victor Von Doom
Emotive was a waste of time. Should have been a free download.

The other two are really good.

APC are insignificant right now, all about Tool.

smittenkitten
Sorry, but 13th Step proceeded to climb up its own butt about halfway through and get lost in its rectal cavity.

Mer De Noms rocks the socks.

-Smitten Kitten-

Alpha Centauri
Thirteenth Step ruled.

-AC

smittenkitten
Piffle.

I'm funnier than you, it's said. That means I'm probably right, while you aren't.

Actually, I think both albums had equally good first halves, and then it went downhill. But Mer De Noms held it together a smidgen more.

-Smitten Kitten-

Alpha Centauri
Congrats, you like Mer De Noms more, your badge is in the mail.

What's your point? Thirteenth Step didn't get stuck up it's own rectum. There's nothing remotely pretentious or self-absorbed about that album.

It was a better album with better musicians on it. It's just a grower. People fell in love with Mer De Noms for good reason, but that's NO reason to knock the musically superior album into 2nd place.

I would pick Gravity, Pet, The Outsider and The Nurse Who Loved Me over Sleeping Beauty, Renholder, Thomas, Over and Brena.

Brena and Sleeping Beauty are the only songs I think are major standouts from the second half. I don't split the albums up, I love them both. Both great whole pieces of artistic genius. I believe Thirteenth Step is better.

-AC

smittenkitten
Wow, honey, calm down - it's just a little friendly banter. No need to try to get witty in retort.

"What's your point? Thirteenth Step didn't get stuck up it's own rectum. There's nothing remotely pretentious or self-absorbed about that album."

Correction: It did get stuck up it's own ass. Did I say it was pretentious or self-absorbed? No...just that it sucked. And it did (the second half, anyway).

"It was a better album with better musicians on it. It's just a grower. People fell in love with Mer De Noms for good reason, but that's NO reason to knock the musically superior album into 2nd place."

Yes, but...it's *not* a better album. The lyrics are trite, and the music is poorly constructed. And, rest assured, dear heart, 13th Step has worked hard for second place...as it is a pisspoor effort. You have no evidence to support your claim that it's 'musically superior.'

And you can scratch off The Nurse Who Loved Me as a reasont for why the second album is better, because we all know that it's not an APC song. Even though it was a good cover. If you're talking about the quality of the music, Nurse is moot.

"I don't split the albums up, I love them both."

Awww, you are like a mother! It's endearing. Now, recognize, please.

-Smitten Kitten-

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by smittenkitten
And, rest assured, dear heart, 13th Step has worked hard for second place...as it is a pisspoor effort. You have no evidence to support your claim that it's 'musically superior.'

And yours would be...

La Vie Rêveuse
..I can't think of any.

Smitten your supporting claims are mostly down to preference, like most things musical. I don't know how many people posting here are pro musicians but I think the music on 13th step is better.

Calling it a "pisspoor effort" severely lowers my opinion of yours to judge any music...

Alpha Centauri
"What's your point? Thirteenth Step didn't get stuck up it's own rectum. There's nothing remotely pretentious or self-absorbed about that album."

Correction: It did get stuck up it's own ass. Did I say it was pretentious or self-absorbed? No...just that it sucked. And it did (the second half, anyway).

Correction of your correction: No it didn't. Counter that if you can....(you can't).

"It was a better album with better musicians on it. It's just a grower. People fell in love with Mer De Noms for good reason, but that's NO reason to knock the musically superior album into 2nd place."

Yes, but...it's *not* a better album. The lyrics are trite, and the music is poorly constructed. And, rest assured, dear heart, 13th Step has worked hard for second place...as it is a pisspoor effort. You have no evidence to support your claim that it's 'musically superior.'

The fact that I believe it is a better album is enough for me sweetcheeks. The lyrics are great, the music is harder and softer in many places than Mer De Noms. I have no evidence? Who said I needed it? I believe it's musically superior to Mer De Noms, you do not. Simple. It's not as clear cut as saying "No but it is shit", because you can't make that kind of a judgement call with an album by APC.

"And you can scratch off The Nurse Who Loved Me as a reasont for why the second album is better, because we all know that it's not an APC song. Even though it was a good cover. If you're talking about the quality of the music, Nurse is moot.

They still could have done a shit job, but they didn't. They made a great song out of it.

"I don't split the albums up, I love them both."

Awww, you are like a mother! It's endearing. Now, recognize, please.

Listen D'Lo Brown, Thirteenth Step IS the better album. Danny Lohner and James Iha are better guitarists by far then Troy Van Leeuwen, they added MUCH better music to the band. It's not even worth comparing Paz and Jeordie.

Much obliged wink.

-AC

smittenkitten
"Correction of your correction: No it didn't. Counter that if you can....(you can't)."

That wasn't even a quality counter, honeybun. But let me try to 'counter' that..Correction: You are mistaken. It did.

But whoever said that it wasn't a 'pisspoor effort' was right; I was exaggerating. Especially considering music today, it was good...just not as good as it could've been, which is what should be expected of Maynard.

Further, though I am not a 'pro' musician, I've been extensively trained in music theory and have played two instruments for over a decade. If anyone understands music on this board, it's me.

"The fact that I believe it is a better album is enough for me sweetcheeks."

Oh lordy, that's not a good reason. Your beliefs should never be enough, considering what they are.

"They still could have done a shit job, but they didn't. They made a great song out of it."

You missed my entire point, didn't you? Yes.

"Thirteenth Step IS the better album."
"I have no evidence? Who said I needed it? I believe it's musically superior to Mer De Noms, you do not. Simple."

Which is it? You're contradicting your beliefs. Either you say it is, unequivocally, better, or you say we have differing opinions, which would imply that neither belief is right nor wrong.

And, actually, if you're going to make the claim that something is musically superior, you really should have evidence. If you're willing to write it off as your (uninformed, uneducated, absurd) opinion, then no, you don't need evidence.

*kisses*
-Smitten Kitten-

Alpha Centauri
"Correction of your correction: No it didn't. Counter that if you can....(you can't)."

That wasn't even a quality counter, honeybun. But let me try to 'counter' that..Correction: You are mistaken. It did.

I never insinuated it was a quality counter or a counter in general, just asked you to counter it............you haven't. Correction again: YOU are mistaken, it didn't. Prove me wrong to the point that I cannot deny it.

But whoever said that it wasn't a 'pisspoor effort' was right; I was exaggerating. Especially considering music today, it was good...just not as good as it could've been, which is what should be expected of Maynard.

You expect Tool level material from a band who aren't Tool then? Stupid outlook if you ask me, or if you don't ask me.

""The fact that I believe it is a better album is enough for me sweetcheeks."

Oh lordy, that's not a good reason. Your beliefs should never be enough, considering what they are.

My names not Lordy, but I do have that omnipotence thing going on. However, it is a good reason. A very good reason. An EX-ELL-ENT reason, to quote William Shatner.

""They still could have done a shit job, but they didn't. They made a great song out of it."

You missed my entire point, didn't you? Yes.

No. A cover shouldn't be considered part because it wasn't theirs, fair enough. It was their album and they changed the song, performed it and recorded it. It counts whether you like it or not. Sorry.

""Thirteenth Step IS the better album."
"I have no evidence? Who said I needed it? I believe it's musically superior to Mer De Noms, you do not. Simple."

Which is it? You're contradicting your beliefs. Either you say it is, unequivocally, better, or you say we have differing opinions, which would imply that neither belief is right nor wrong.

And, actually, if you're going to make the claim that something is musically superior, you really should have evidence. If you're willing to write it off as your (uninformed, uneducated, absurd) opinion, then no, you don't need evidence.

I'm not contradicting my beliefs in the slightest. You just chose to ignore my evidence.

Thirteenth Step had better musicians in the band, performing better music and writing better songs overall.

It's different to Mer De Noms and if that's the only reason you hate it so much then I'm deeply sorry. Evidence? Let's review this comment:

And, rest assured, dear heart, 13th Step has worked hard for second place...as it is a pisspoor effort. You have no evidence to support your claim that it's 'musically superior.'

Where's your evidence that I'm wrong? Or that it isn't musically superior? Where's your evidence that it's a pisspoor effort? In your posts? Or nowhere?

Who's contradicting? You. That's who.

I'd like to address this also:

Further, though I am not a 'pro' musician, I've been extensively trained in music theory and have played two instruments for over a decade. If anyone understands music on this board, it's me.

Then you'll know that the purpose of music is outlet of expression and reflection won't you? Getting out of it what you choose and letting it interact with you, and you to it, in your own way. You have your way, I have mine, they have theirs. That's just the way it is sweetie. You may have studied music, the fact that you have a matter-of-factly attitude, more so than I EVER have, shows that you don't appreciate music. You sound like an NME writer.

If you had to be TAUGHT how to appreciate music then you know nothing about it.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

Quite a claim considering no-one else has mentioned how long they have played for, but oh well.

Joe Satriani probably knows music theory better than anyone. Doesn't stop him putting out crap.

What you have can never be more than a strong opinion, perhaps a reasoned opinion.

No-one is going to prove either view here.

el barto
their best song is doubtlesly counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums

Victor Von Doom
I'd say that's more or less their worst.

La Vie Rêveuse
The only thing that could have made that song even worse would be for Billy to take the vocals

Korri
New album sucks guys. thumb up

el barto
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I'd say that's more or less their worst.

well lucyly you opinion means shit to me then roll eyes (sarcastic)

Victor Von Doom
Yeah.

Although yours appears to be actual faeces.

Drumdude1167
well you know that A Perfect Circle's "Passive" was on the movie Constantine....But wait, another one of their songs is in a preview... Go and check out a trailer for Fantastic four....mmmm yes...DISTRUCTION

check it out here http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantastic_four/FF_large.html

Drumdude1167
its worth it

Lana
I love APC. Definitely one of my favorite groups.

While, oddly enough, most of my favorite songs (Rose, Sleeping Beauty, 3 Libras, Magdalena) are from Mer de Noms, overall, I like Thirteenth Step much better. Too bad eMOTIVE was such a let-down...but considering it was a CD of covers. But while it was a mediocre effort by APC standards, IMO it managed to still kick the shit out of most of the stuff released in 2004. And I love Passive.

el_barto -- Counting Bodies really isn't that great...Pet is faaaaaaar better.

Mystifier
Originally posted by Lana
Counting Bodies really isn't that great...Pet is faaaaaaar better.

I agree with you on that point.. Well most of it actually.. I like a lot of songs from Mer de Noms but Thirteenth Step is better. One of my favourite bands too yes

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Emotive was a waste of time. Should have been a free download.

The other two are really good.

APC are insignificant right now, all about Tool. how true is that

bardock
not a fan

Revernd Maynard
Originally posted by bardock
not a fan Well, you should listen to some, try it out, its quite impressive....

only look at 13th Step and Mer de Noms yes

emotive is good, but its also crap

bardock
"**** your god" on judith was all i needed to hear

Darth Revan
Originally posted by bardock
"**** your god" on judith was all i needed to hear

You have to understand that in the context of that song, he doesn't mean literally "**** god," but "**** YOUR god," with the emphasis on the "your". In other words, something like, "**** the fact that your religion consumes you to the brink of insanity". yes

Tptmanno1
Still an awesome song though...

bardock
You have to understand that in the context of that song, he doesn't mean literally "**** god," but "**** YOUR god," with the emphasis on the "your". In other words, something like, "**** the fact that your religion consumes you to the brink of insanity". yes
oh

Lana
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Still an awesome song though...

Yep.

I'm listening to them right now, actually. Haven't in quite a while.

Victor Von Doom

Although he does explicitly frame that within the Christian experience.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.