The Last Unicorn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RZA
Anybody seen this? It came out in '82. I saw it on TV when I was real young. Great animated film, very memorable and very underrated.

I still faintly remember that song...'It was the Last Unicorn....' whistle

frau
One of my favorite movies. smile

dizzyblondegirl
nope never seen it sounds sweet

Johnlindsey289
Oooh me me, i love that movie, it's one of my top 130 favorite movies of all time! it's been one of my all time childhood faves of the 80's next to "Dark Crystal", "Secret of NIMH", "Batman" and "Ghostbusters".

I had a crush on Lady Amalthea, she was soooo hot, mmm mmm mmm! There's going to be a remake coming out next year in theaters in live-action, should be interesting.

BoyScoutKevin
Yes. I would also recommend the book, by Peter S. Beagle, upon which the film is based. A nice read. Of course, everyone has heard of the live action version of the film, which is scheduled for release in 2006, and is now in pre-production. Christopher Lee, Mia Farrow, Angela Lansbury, and Rene Auberjonos are scheduled to reprise the characters they voiced in the animated version.

starwing
I saw The Last Unicorn in the theater back in '82 and the audience love it. The film got good reviews and did quite good at the box office--very rare and unique at that time because, other than the Disney re-releases, hardly any animated films were released in those days or did well in the movie houses when any were released.

The film was directed by Rankin & Bass of the TV animated The Hobbit. The animation was unusually good for that time and still holds up very well. The same studio Rankin & Bass picked to do the Hobbit they hired to do the Last Unicorn. It was done by Top Craft Studio of Japan. This studio was the same studio that would, after Unicorn, then immediately turn to doing the animation for Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa of The Valley Wind and would then transform itself into becoming Studio Ghibli to do films like My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away.

Not all of the songs of the Last Unicorn are memorable and some even seemed forced, but the film has a marvelous and memorable screenplay by the author of the book: Peter S. Beagle! It is one of the most exquisite and beautifully written screenplays I have ever seen for an animated film.

So it is a quite a unique film and is one of my personal favorites. I saw it very recently on DVD and it holds up very well. I also managed to get a public library to hold a public screening of the film in its auditorium--probably the first time the film has been on the big screen in that particular area since 1982. (Sorry, I'm not going to say where. roll eyes (sarcastic) )

b-dan
ive seen it my old baby sitter brought it over and i alwayse used to watch it is that the movie with the fire bull

ArwenHope
Has anyone heard anything else about the approximated release date on this movie. I saw it when I was maybe 5. I've been hooked ever since and am growing very anxious to see the live action movie.

redcaped
The fire ox was a mystical creature. "I know what are heroes for"...

b-dan
i remeber my babysitter brought it over when i was in grade 4 all i remember was a witch, Red Bull thing, a dum Wizard and thats it i belive it was the same animation company that made the orignal Hobbit movie

Sadako of Girth
How did they get Orson Welles to voice for this mov- wait!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... UniCORN...!!!

Sorry....! Sorry, I thought it was UniCRON....... stick out tongue

grey fox
Originally posted by RZA
Anybody seen this? It came out in '82. I saw it on TV when I was real young. Great animated film, very memorable and very underrated.

I'd rather pour bleach on my eyes then watch a film called 'The Last '

Kayne Archeron
i freakin' love that movie, it was one of the best movies from my childhoo--WHAT ABOUT A LIVE ACTION REMAKE????

OxygeneVI
Originally posted by RZA

If you go onto Youtube there is a lovely video with Enya audio over of the Last Unicorn. Brought me to tears. As a child the Red Bull scared me to bits. Now it is a drink.

newjak86
I remmeber this move one of my favorites but its been so long that is very blurry in my head but remember I loved it as a kid.

coolmovies
i saw it years !! agoo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.